gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:12:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Top 10 Greatest Bands Of All Time :)  (Read 37212 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2015, 07:55:19 AM »

The best Bands... as in "Rock" bands, not individuals.

The Beach Boys
The Earth Wind and The Fire
The Pink Floyd
The Zed Leppelin
The Rolling Stones
The Doors
The Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Cream
The Velvet Underground
The Band

Honorable mention:  The Beatles.  A lot of people like them and they were great as a result.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »

Groups only -

1- The Beach Boys
2- The Mothers of Invention
3- Queen
4- Genesis
5- The Kinks
6- The Cure
7- King Crimson
8- Chicago
9- The Carpenters
10- The Stranglers

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2015, 10:06:22 AM »

Groups only, huh?  That's tough...

1. The Beatles
2. The Beach Boys
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Fleetwood Mac
5. Creedence Clearwater Revival
6. Buddy Holly and the Crickets
7. Aerosmith
8. Metallica
9. Chicago
10. The Rolling Stones

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »

Bands and artists:

Beach Boys
Steely Dan
Dylan
Paul Simon
Randy Newman
Paddy McAloon/Prefab Sprout
Paul Buchanan/Blue Nile
Joni Mitchell
Tom Petty
Loudon Wainwright

But that's not getting in to jazz and its fringes, which would knock out most of the above

You know, I'm not even sure Tom Petty should be on here. I mean, I like his stuff but not consistently enough to warrant a top ten. Maybe The Band? Probably Van Morrison. Yeah: Van the Man instead of Tom. Or Marvin Gaye. Or Stevie Wonder...

AS for groups only, I'm not sure I like enough - or not at that level anyhow. In most cases, it's on a greatest hits level (Stones, for instance); others, not even that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:10:49 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2015, 11:34:41 PM »

At this point I'd change it to (again in no particular order):

Downliners Sect
Didn't hear of them - what album-song to check 1st? You found them via other 60s band, correct? At least that's how I discover new bands - by quick reference in a book/article dedicated to other band.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2015, 03:15:56 AM »

1 Beach Boys
2 Monkees
3 Bread
4 10cc
5 Eagles
6 Moody Blues
7 Poco
8 Toto
9 Association
10 ... the rest

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2015, 11:53:33 AM »

1 Beach Boys
2 Monkees
3 Bread
4 10cc
5 Eagles
6 Moody Blues
7 Poco
8 Toto
9 Association
10 ... the rest
I like this list - you have good taste, my friend!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2015, 06:34:26 PM »

Downliners Sect
Didn't hear of them - what album-song to check 1st? You found them via other 60s band, correct? At least that's how I discover new bands - by quick reference in a book/article dedicated to other band.

It's funny, but I discovered them when I was in Japan. I was at an op-shop there, and among the CD's that were there was The Sect, which was the first album by the Downliners Sect. I had never heard of them before, but I thought it looked pretty interesting, and plus it was really cheap. So I got it, and when I got back to Australia I listened to the CD and immediately loved it. I'd say check out their first album yeah, I think it's brilliant. Apparently, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart and Steve Marriott were big-name fans, and at one point Marriott and Stewart even tried to audition for the band. Unfortunately though, they weren't one of the bigger bands commercially from the British Invasion era, definitely under appreciated.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »

The Beatles
The Moody Blues
Steely Dan
Chicago
XTC
Electric Light Orchestra
The High Llamas
Stereolab
Hall & Oates
Queen

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2016, 02:30:57 PM »

this is always changing.
As of right now?

The Shins
Tame Impala
Fleet Foxes
Vampire Weekend
Mac Demarco
Sufjan Stevens

And then I guess I've been listening to some Bob Dylan, Parquet Courts, Broken Bells, and of course the Beach Boys. Lately, though, it's most the first four I listed...

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2016, 03:08:37 PM »

1. Beach Boys
2. Who
3. Beatles
4. Pink Floyd
5. Bob Dylan

6. Band
7. Velvet Underground
8. Ramones
9. Oasis
10. Kinks
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »

Harry Nilsson
The Beach Boys/Wilson brothers
Big Star/Alex Chilton/Chris Bell
The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed/John Cale
The Beatles/Paul/George
The Kinks
Bob Dylan
Captain Beefheart
Marvin Gaye
Nick Drake
Lee Hazlewood

1. XTC ( & The Dukes)
2. Big Star
3. The Kinks
4. Harry Nilsson
5. The Velvet Underground
6. The Beach Boys
7. Captain Beefheart
(I began to feel less sure about these)
8. Tom Waits
9. Bob Dylan
10. Marvin Gaye

I think it's interesting to chart the changes over time.

Here's an unranked, updated list:

Protomartyr
Swans
Big Star
Kate Bush
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
Bob Dylan
Pavement
Kendrick Lamar
Nick Drake
Joanna Newsom

This list was difficult to make due to reconciling the differences between old, established favorites and what I'm listening to now. I was surprised by some of these choices. It seems the only constants have been Bob Dylan and Big Star.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 11:59:25 AM by A Bigger Loser » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2016, 06:01:40 PM »

Hm, not sure. I guess for now...

1. Beach Boys
2. Animal Collective
3. Beatles
4. Todd Rundgren
5. Harry Nilsson
6. 10cc
7. Millennium
8. Erykah Badu
9. Monkees
10. Van Dyke Parks

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2016, 09:12:16 AM »

The Beach Boys
The Byrds
Velvet Underground
Yo La Tengo
Fleet Foxes
Nirvana
Beastie Boys
Calexico
Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
Beck
The Beatles
Simon and Garfunkel
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2016, 09:52:11 AM »

1. The Beach Boys
2. The Kinks
3. The Rolling Stones
4. Van Morrison
5. The Velvet Underground
6. The Who
7. The Beatles
8. Bob Dylan
9. Neil Young
10. The Byrds
10 1/2. Fleetwood Mac & Bruce Springsteen
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2016, 03:34:30 AM »

Downliners Sect

It's funny, but I discovered them when I was in Japan. I was at an op-shop there, and among the CD's that were there was The Sect, which was the first album by the Downliners Sect. I had never heard of them before, but I thought it looked pretty interesting, and plus it was really cheap. So I got it, and when I got back to Australia I listened to the CD and immediately loved it. I'd say check out their first album yeah, I think it's brilliant. Apparently, Van Morrison, Rod Stewart and Steve Marriott were big-name fans, and at one point Marriott and Stewart even tried to audition for the band. Unfortunately though, they weren't one of the bigger bands commercially from the British Invasion era, definitely under appreciated.
Thanks for the write-up, I'll definitely check it out. Gotta say, I never understood people who buy an album by a band they never heard of without 1st having a quick listen online. I mean, you pay money - what if you don't like it? Is it possible to return it back & take money? It isn't judgment, just sth. I wouldn't do.
Any other 'rare' bands to recommend, Rei?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »

Downliners Sect

Thanks for the write-up, I'll definitely check it out. Gotta say, I never understood people who buy an album by a band they never heard of without 1st having a quick listen online. I mean, you pay money - what if you don't like it? Is it possible to return it back & take money? It isn't judgment, just sth. I wouldn't do.
Any other 'rare' bands to recommend, Rei?

Well again it was very cheap, so I thought what the hell, I'll check it out.

As for other rare bands/artists, I'd suggest The Easybeats and Russell Morris. Though by no means rare or obscure in Australia, they are each largely obscure internationally bar a single hit each.
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »

But if we're talking just what we're really digging right now that's quite up there:
(I won't name any from previous list)

1. Harry Nilsson
2. Van Dyke Parks (Discover America is brilliant)
3. Caravan
4. Derek & The Dominos
5. XTC
6. New York Dolls
7. Flamin' Groovies
8. Dino Valente
9. Flying Burrito Brothers
10. Judy Henske & Jerry Yester
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2016, 04:14:11 AM »

6. New York Dolls

Way cool choice!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2016, 09:50:18 PM »

The Shins
Tame Impala
Fleet Foxes
Vampire Weekend
Mac Demarco
Sufjan Stevens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pX0EH2ZU2k
This video is reason #43 why Sufjan is on my list. I just cried so much but it is O. K.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2016, 07:10:40 PM »

not of all time, but right now i can't get enough of:

Beach House (Victoria Legrand's voice is so dreamy)
Talking Heads (the '70s stuff)
and Tame Impala (but that's to be expected)

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2016, 07:18:54 AM »

Beach Boys (up to "Love You", after that they are replaced by Brian Wilson)
Chieftains (always)
King Crimson (particularly the first 4 albums, but more or less always)
Moody Blues (up to "Long Distance Voyager", with an unexpected revival in "Strange Days")
Soft Machine (first 6 albums)
Jethro Tull (up to "Thick As A Brick")
Doors (with Jim Morrison)
Ekseption (more or less whole career)
Gentle Giant (up to "In a Glass House")
Golden Gate Quartet (in the 1930's and 1940's)

For this list, I disqualified all pseudo-bands of the "King Awesome and and his negligible minions" type. Grin
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 07:24:17 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2016, 07:52:13 AM »

I know I did a list when this thread began, however many years ago. Odds are my bands haven't changed all that much, but let's find out. Here are the 10 I'd list now--in no order, because if nothing else, I've become more firmly in the camp of not ranking things if I can help it--including bands and solo artists.

Beach Boys, Beatles, Queen, Zeppelin, Dylan, Prince, Zappa, Waits, Joanna Newsom, VU. That's 10? OK.

Then there would have to be Aretha Franklin, Radiohead, Joni Mitchell, Of Montreal, Hendrix, Mountain Goats, Herman Dune, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Neutral Milk Hotel, Buddy Holly, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Sly Stone, Willie Nelson, Loretta Lynn, Kacey Musgraves, Wilco, Earl Sweatshirt, David Bowie, Leonard Cohen... Yeah, it's hard to make a short list.

Now I'll see what I said way back when.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2016, 07:53:11 AM »

OK, not so different in the top 10. And the also-rans are ones I ought to add to my newer list: it isn't that I discarded anyone, I just keep adding.

Combining bands and solo artists, since those are largely artificial differences anyway. The list sort of averages my thoughts with respect to pinnacle of product (counts for a lot) and average quality of product (avoiding sh*t counts for something). Obviously all filtered through my taste, because why the f*** would I bother ranking what someone else thinks?

1. Beatles
2. Beach Boys
3. Bob Dylan
4. The Velvet Underground
5. Frank Zappa/Mothers
6. Tom Waits
7. Queen
8. Led Zeppelin
9. Prince
10. Marvin Gaye

Big fan of Belle & Sebastian, Radiohead, Elvis Costello, Of Montreal, Paul Simon/S&G, Captain Beefheart, Public Enemy, Michael Jackson, Jackson 5, NMH, Wilco, Zombies, Kinks, Buddy Holly, and frankly enough other artists to make any list useless.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »

The Top 2 are The Beatles & The Beach Boys. Though if you put a gun to my head I'd say the Beatles, I think the best Beach Boys is better than any Beatles. Pet Sounds is better than any Beatles record.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:02:45 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx