gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:22:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will harmony reign on Beach Boys tour? USA Today  (Read 12727 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »

but I know it never will....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:27:50 PM by Erik H » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »

Nah, it's just Bruth's way of kissin' Myke's ass that's all. He know where his bread is buttered and who's in charge. Wink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »

Hmmmmm. Maybe he actually enjoys being a Beach Boys and being able to perform (in whatever capacity) such great music/lyrics. Maybe he actually likes Mike's lyrics. Bruce doesn't need the money.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »

"Taking credit for the band's success"?

In order for him to do that he'd have to claim that he did everything, which he's never done. All he's done is pointed to his contributions and that he was positive as opposed to Brian being melancholy and how that positive vibe resonated with people. Big deal.

Same goes for Bruce saying he's looking forward to singing Mike's lyrics onstage! So what if he says this? He's obviously not referring to ALL the lyrics to all of the Beach Boys songs. Maybe he just has a soft spot for Mike's lyrics. Once again, big freaking deal.

I really can't wrap my mind around this. How much adulation/credit/claims (indeed true) of genius can Brian be lavished with over the past 50 years to where it will be OK for Mike or anyone else to get a high five for anything they might have brought to the table?

I really really really wish this silliness would stop. The bloo board is open to the public, right? Maybe there should be some migration happening.

Part of what makes this board work is the diversity of views. Trying to purge people who are supportive of Brian would only lead to a mirror image of the blue, with everyone blindly agreeing with one another. Why would you want that? Or is it too difficult to continually defend someone as unlovable as Mike?

Nothing irks me more on this board than people suggesting it should have a party line. That is nonsense. There should be space for all here.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:53:35 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »

Hmmmmm. Maybe he actually enjoys being a Beach Boys and being able to perform (in whatever capacity) such great music/lyrics. Maybe he actually likes Mike's lyrics. Bruce doesn't need the money.

Exactly.  First of all, Mike works his ass off, has for 50 years now... and Bruce is there the whole time, even though he's becoming an old man, and is a multimillionaire before he even made any money in music?  The guy obviously does it because he enjoys it and is doing it for the fans.

That's something people forget too, Mike and Bruce are doing a service to their fans!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 03:05:57 PM »

In order for him to do that he'd have to claim that he did everything, which he's never done. All he's done is pointed to his contributions and that he was positive as opposed to Brian being melancholy and how that positive vibe resonated with people. Big deal.

Same goes for Bruce saying he's looking forward to singing Mike's lyrics onstage! So what if he says this? He's obviously not referring to ALL the lyrics to all of the Beach Boys songs. Maybe he just has a soft spot for Mike's lyrics. Once again, big freaking deal.

I really can't wrap my mind around this. How much adulation/credit/claims (indeed true) of genius can Brian be lavished with over the past 50 years to where it will be OK for Mike or anyone else to get a high five for anything they might have brought to the table?

I really really really wish this silliness would stop. The bloo board is open to the public, right? Maybe there should be some migration happening.

Part of what makes this board work is the diversity of views. Trying to purge people who are supportive of Brian would only lead to a mirror image of the blue, with everyone blindly agreeing with one another. Why would you want that? Or is it too difficult to continually defend someone as unlovable as Mike?

Nothing irks me more on this board than people suggesting it should have a party line. That is nonsense. There should be space for all here.

Point taken, but I'd rather a "diversity of opinions" mean something other than the party-line of Brian: genius - Mike: sucks!
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »

Now.  Imagine what this new rider's going to look like.  Geesh. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a rule that Mike was not allowed to speak to Brian any time offstage....or that their dressing rooms don't touch or something...

How does Brian feel about blue bic lighters in the crowd when he would ask people to light them so he and Jeff could count them from the stage?   Weird one about the animals!

My guess is that since a lighter is an "incendiary" device, and most US venues are smoke-free, it's more likely than not, that their use indoors in a mobbed venue is against fire laws.  Cell phones simulate the lit candle effect.  Wink

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 03:13:43 PM »

THE BEACH BOYS ARE TOURING FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1492!

HUZZAH!

Evil

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »

And I also don't consider constantly trying to debunk or scoff at any claims of credit by Mike or anyone else as being necessarily supportive of Brian. Brian would tell you exactly what Mike contributed and there wouldn't be any argument, but people would still try and poke holes. Brian's said before that it's unfortunate that people only praise the lead guy, main guy, writer in bands. It puts an unnecessary amount of pressure and expectation on Brian to constantly be belittling Mike. And it's not difficult to defend Mike at all. He contributed a vast amount to the Beach Boys: only a minute portion of which might be up for debate. I personally suspect it's much more difficult or taxing on one's soul to constantly feel the need to denigrate the guy.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:16:47 PM by Erik H » Logged
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »

THE BEACH BOYS ARE TOURING FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE 1492!

HUZZAH!

Evil

Wow. This is really a big deal then.  Where can I find tickets?

In all seriousness, I don't think people debate what good things Mike's contributed, but the horrendous things he's contributed is why he gets all the hate.  I'm just saying this for argument's sake...personally I feel lately Mike has been acting real well with this whole thing...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:30:23 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »

I don't happen to consider anything the Beach Boys have ever done as horrendous. However, having a good idea as to what people do consider horrendous, I'd say each Beach Boy (aside from Dennis) has contributed their fair share.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 04:29:15 PM »

I'll bet if Mike felt he was Brian's creative equal, he'd have no problem stating it openly and emphatically.

That's true. He had no problem taking credit for the band's success.

More recently Mike has calmed down on this front. But "Mr. Positivity" springs to mind, yes.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 05:05:01 PM »

I'll bet if Mike felt he was Brian's creative equal, he'd have no problem stating it openly and emphatically.

That's true. He had no problem taking credit for the band's success.

More recently Mike has calmed down on this front. But "Mr. Positivity" springs to mind, yes.

I don't get all the hatred for Mike's "Mr. Positivity" paraphrase either. All he did was say that some fans really vibe with the positive/fun aspect of the Beach Boys and that it was him who brought that. I'd consider such a claim as being close to a fact. He's not taking credit for all of their success. He's just saying that he was more upbeat as opposed to Brian, which certainly rigs true. Why not just let it go? Is Mike supposed to not have any opinions regarding the band he co-founded and has fronted for 50 years?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 07:15:54 PM »

Exactly.  First of all, Mike works his ass off, has for 50 years now... and Bruce is there the whole time, even though he's becoming an old man, and is a multimillionaire before he even made any money in music?  The guy obviously does it because he enjoys it and is doing it for the fans.

That's something people forget too, Mike and Bruce are doing a service to their fans!
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT? They're doing it as a service to their fans??? Are you still in junior high shool? I guarantee that there is one and only one reason they do what they do and that is bucks, dinero, shillings, dolares, currency, doublets, coinage, excess of returns over outlay, whatever you want to call it today. But it ain't no hobby. It's a tradeoff if anything-I'll sing for my supper-no more, no less. Nobody made Myke and Bruth do what they're doing and they're well paid for singing for a couple of hours.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »

Oh, come on OSD! I almost refuse to believe this is true!

Do you really think guys with more money than a ship full of drunken sailors could spend in a port town several lifetimes over wish to whittle their years away on planes, hotel rooms, buses, airports, hotel rooms, buses, planes, hotel rooms, just because they are greedy and want more money? I'm sure the prospect of making $$$$ off their efforts plays into it (of course) but $$$ being the only reason: it just doesn't jive!

I want money and lots of it!!!! So, why don't I work two or three jobs? I don't  because my life would be unbearable, therefore the extra money I could make would simply not be worth it! I would absolutely hate my life!! Same goes with most of us. These guys just have to love it on some very important and crucial level. Plus, all the adoration from the fans can't hurt a canned ham's ego either  Grin
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:38:23 PM by Erik H » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 07:37:03 PM »

OSD, just try to enjoy the last ride of whats left of America's band for better or worse. Brian can keep Mike's claims in check, because Brian can tell the truth  about songwriting credits/collaborators if needed during the shows.  You can see them this summer and remember you saw them in their prime with Dennis and Carl rocking out in Carnegie Hall. Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:56 PM »

My thing is I haven't really seen the other members pushing their accomplishments quite as much. You never saw Carl bragging like "hey, I sang 'God Only Knows' and 'Good Vibrations', and co-wrote 'Dance, Dance, Dance' and 'Good Timin''." Or Dennis bragging that he had a solo album that was critically loved. Even Al doesn't brag about bringing "Sloop John B" to Brian's attention or for singing "Help Me Rhonda".  Even Brian doesn't go around saying, "hey I wrote Pet Sounds and SMiLE, and by the way, did you know I wrote "California Girls"?"

The only member that constantly pushes their accomplishments is Mike. He has a lot to be proud of, but let the work speak for itself. He has a lot of great lyrics and a lot of great singing during his career and hopefully more to come. But taking credit for things like naming Pet Sounds? Who cares that he did that? It's a cool title, but it's nothing to brag about.

And I think in retrospect, Bruce saying how SMiLE should've been released on EMI's classical label is just a fancy way of saying "it wasn't right for The Beach Boys." I think he buys into the theory that The Beach Boys are, first and foremost, a fun, sun, surf, and girls band. And that all that goofy stuff from 1968 til 1977(ish) is unimportant overly artistic crap, except for "Disney Girls" of course. But even t hat is not as good as "I Write the Songs", cuz "I Write the Songs" sold more copies, which must mean its better.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »

Oh, come on OSD! I almost refuse to believe this is true!

Do you really think guys with more money than a ship full of drunken sailors could spend in a port town several lifetimes over wish to whittle their years away on planes, hotel rooms, buses, airports, hotel rooms, buses, planes, hotel rooms, just because they are greedy and want more money? I'm sure the prospect of making $$$$ off their efforts plays into it (of course) but $$$ being the only reason: it just doesn't jive!

I want money and lots of it!!!! So, why don't I work two or three jobs? I don't  because my life would be unbearable, therefore the extra money I could make would simply not be worth it! I would absolutely hate my life!! Same goes with most of us. These guys just have to love it on some very important and crucial level. Plus, all the adoration from the fans can't hurt a canned ham's ego either  Grin
LMFAO-well, maybe not, but Myke just seems so porcine in his quest for gold and recognition-It's a real turnoff, man.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:31 PM »

My thing is I haven't really seen the other members pushing their accomplishments quite as much. You never saw Carl bragging like "hey, I sang 'God Only Knows' and 'Good Vibrations', and co-wrote 'Dance, Dance, Dance' and 'Good Timin''." Or Dennis bragging that he had a solo album that was critically loved. Even Al doesn't brag about bringing "Sloop John B" to Brian's attention or for singing "Help Me Rhonda".  Even Brian doesn't go around saying, "hey I wrote Pet Sounds and SMiLE, and by the way, did you know I wrote "California Girls"?"

The only member that constantly pushes their accomplishments is Mike. He has a lot to be proud of, but let the work speak for itself. He has a lot of great lyrics and a lot of great singing during his career and hopefully more to come. But taking credit for things like naming Pet Sounds? Who cares that he did that? It's a cool title, but it's nothing to brag about.

And I think in retrospect, Bruce saying how SMiLE should've been released on EMI's classical label is just a fancy way of saying "it wasn't right for The Beach Boys." I think he buys into the theory that The Beach Boys are, first and foremost, a fun, sun, surf, and girls band. And that all that goofy stuff from 1968 til 1977(ish) is unimportant overly artistic crap, except for "Disney Girls" of course. But even t hat is not as good as "I Write the Songs", cuz "I Write the Songs" sold more copies, which must mean its better.

That's an easy one: Mike's be villainized and the others haven't been. Yeah, he's brought some of it upon himself, but it's a self perpetuating cycle which is not simply his own fault.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 07:51:42 PM »

OSD, just try to enjoy the last ride of whats left of America's band for better or worse. Brian can keep Mike's claims in check, because Brian can tell the truth  about songwriting credits/collaborators if needed during the shows.  You can see them this summer and remember you saw them in their prime with Dennis and Carl rocking out in Carnegie Hall. Smiley
True dat-but if I see Myke get up there and spout about writing credits, the boos you hear will be from yours truly. Wink
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »

I don't get all the hatred for Mike's "Mr. Positivity" paraphrase either. All he did was say that some fans really vibe with the positive/fun aspect of the Beach Boys and that it was him who brought that. I'd consider such a claim as being close to a fact. He's not taking credit for all of their success. He's just saying that he was more upbeat as opposed to Brian, which certainly rigs true. Why not just let it go? Is Mike supposed to not have any opinions regarding the band he co-founded and has fronted for 50 years?

In fact, he absolutely did not say "that some fans really vibe with the positive/fun aspect of the Beach Boys." What he did do is precisely what you're denying which is take credit for all their success, which is uncontroversially what he does. It doesn't generate hatred for me - I think it's completely pathetic, entirely unwarrented, but nevertheless unsurprising from a man who has repeatedly embarrassed the group in public forums with an ego the size of Eurasia.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:01:15 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 08:00:41 PM »

OK,  what is the exact quote where Mike takes all the credit for all of their success?
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »

Ultimately I think The Beach Boys meant so much to so many people because of the positivity, and that was me.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2012, 08:08:41 PM »

And how is that him taking credit for all of their success?

He expressed an opinion that he is allowed to have. You don't have to agree or like his opinion, but the guy has every right to have one.

And if you think about it: us Smile/67-73 fans are most likely in the minority of people who claim to love the Beach Boys. If there is a fan out there who only loves the big fun hits, (I know plenty people who fit the bill) Mike's opinion speaks to them and those fans also have the right to prefer whatever they prefer. It's a tough reality maybe.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:10:05 PM by Erik H » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »

And how is that him taking credit for all of their success?

Don't tell me that you are so eager to leap to Love's defense that you are being purposefully obtuse. He says exactly that he was the reason The Beach Boys meant so much to so many people. Are you going to pretend that meaning so much to so many people isn't the same thing as being successful. Tell me now, so that I can now untangle myself from a conversation with a person who is purposefully being intellectually dishonest in order to score a petty point on behalf of an egomaniac celebrity that he doesn't even know.

He expressed an opinion that he is allowed to have. You don't have to agree or like his opinion, but the guy has every right to have one.

And herein is the classic internet response wherein a critique becomes akin to a civil rights violation because no real valid response can actually be given. I mean, I can also respond that I have every right to an opinion, by holding the opinion that his opinion is pathetic and an embarrassment, and then we can go back and forth in this meaningless, trivial fashion.

And if you think about it: us Smile/67-73 fans are most likely in the minority of people who claim to love the Beach Boys. If there is a fan out there who only loves the big fun hits, (I know plenty people who fit the bill) Mike's opinion speaks to them and those fans also have to right to prefer whatever they prefer. It's a tough reality maybe.

Again, more meaningless rhetoric based on something you are pretending that I'm saying but I really didn't. I love the big fun hits too. Unfortunately that doesn't mean that Mike Love isn't an egomaniacal gasbag who unconvincingly and pathetically tried to take credit for The Beach Boys success.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:18:26 PM by rockandroll » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx