gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:49:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will harmony reign on Beach Boys tour? USA Today  (Read 12726 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:21:42 PM »

Great article..

The next few months are going to be really interesting

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/story/2012-01-08/beach-boys-tour-50th-anniversary/52457292/1

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:42:33 PM »

I have a feeling that on the surface things should go well. It would appear that Capitol and other parties may have invested some serious money in this 50th and IMO they will have demanded some conditions including a certain amount of control, group members signing for 50 gigs and a agreement to be on their best behavior.

The press release from last month was vetted and approved as safe and ticked all the 'feel good' boxes for me.

Brian Wilson says, "This anniversary is special to me because I miss the boys and it will be a thrill for me to make a new record and be on stage with them again."

Mike Love says, "We got together at Capitol Records and re-recorded 'Do It Again.'  Brian and I wrote that song which went to number 1 in Great Britain, Australia and elsewhere some 44 years ago.  Brian paid me a compliment saying, 'How can a guy sound that great so many years later?'  Later on, while working out some harmonies on a new song Brian had written, I got a chance to return the compliment.  It was a thrill to be around a piano again with Brian, Alan and Bruce and experience firsthand the brilliance of Cousin Brian's gift for vocal arrangements.  I am very much looking forward to David Marks joining us and thrilling with his surf guitar licks.  Music has been the unifying and harmonizing fact of life in our family since childhood.  It has been a huge blessing that we have been able to share with the world.  Wouldn't It Be Nice to Do It Again?  Absolutely!"

Al Jardine says, "The Beach Boys were recently inducted into the California Hall of Fame.  From our humble beginnings as brothers, cousins and friends, we have been honored to sing the praises of California, and I'm really excited for our fans to be able to see us again in concert on the world stage, and to celebrate our 50th anniversary together with a new studio album."

Bruce Johnston says, "I will be looking forward to singing Brian Wilson's melodies and Mike Love's lyrics once again in concert with many of the original band members, but imagine what we all could come up with vocally in a recording studio atmosphere under Brian's musical direction."

David Marks says, "I'm really looking forward to celebrating this important milestone in The Beach Boys' history with the other guys, and with Capitol Records - where it all began 50 years ago.  It means a lot to me that we can all reunite and pay tribute to the fans who have kept the music alive."

end quote.

.....of course what goes on behind the PR execs could be very different! Wink
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:43:54 PM by Al Jardine's Box » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 07:47:40 PM »

That last statement sounds like political dogma makin sure we dont get sued,,,IMHO
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »

You think there are official written/unwritten rules for the tour to ensure that there is no drama?  I wonder if there are such stipulations specifically for other members of the band in relation to Brian....?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:53:10 PM by Justin » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »

Well its relative. I doubt if a group of 70 year olds are going to mix with groupies or hookers but any press conference expect nothing but good vibes. Any recording sessions will require a reasonable participation level. That type of thing.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 08:02:25 PM »

I'm just gonna throw it out there..

I would think Melinda is ruling with an iron fist in the negotiations

See the puss on her face in the "Do it again" video

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:09:04 PM »

Don't say puss.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »

Good job if she is. Brians not there for the money. I would expect her and Jeff will have his best interests at heart and try to bring US a great 2012 celebration involving him.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 08:58:22 PM »

Don't say puss.

One of my favorite Brian quotes Grin
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:58 PM »

I don't see how they got the number "45"...they haven't toured together in 45 years??  This exact configuration with these 5 BB's hasn't toured together ever (I think Dave Marks may have appeared at a couple of early 70's shows?)  Brian did some shows with them in 1996, and throughout much of the 70's and early to mid 80's.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:18:52 PM »

Easier to pick a number than try to write a time-line perhaps. The only constant really for the 50 years is Mike.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:21:00 PM »

You think there are official written/unwritten rules for the tour to ensure that there is no drama?  I wonder if there are such stipulations specifically for other members of the band in relation to Brian....?

I believe I saw somewhere that they had a rider several years ago that included something about "No animals backstage" (because Brian would play with the animals and not take the stage) and "No Blue Bic Cigarette Lighters" or something similar because Brian was afraid of them.

Now.  Imagine what this new rider's going to look like.  Geesh. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »

Good job if she is. Brians not there for the money.

That's not what BRIAN said, lol. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:33:32 PM »

Now.  Imagine what this new rider's going to look like.  Geesh. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there was a rule that Mike was not allowed to speak to Brian any time offstage....or that their dressing rooms don't touch or something...

How does Brian feel about blue bic lighters in the crowd when he would ask people to light them so he and Jeff could count them from the stage?   Weird one about the animals!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 08:16:01 AM »

I don't see how they got the number "45"...they haven't toured together in 45 years??  This exact configuration with these 5 BB's hasn't toured together ever (I think Dave Marks may have appeared at a couple of early 70's shows?)  Brian did some shows with them in 1996, and throughout much of the 70's and early to mid 80's.

Yeah, it seems she took the fact that Brian stopped touring with the rest of them in the mid-'60s as the final word, instead of a temporary situation.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 08:26:58 AM »

Yeah, it seems she took the fact that Brian stopped touring with the rest of them in the mid-'60s as the final word, instead of a temporary situation.

It's all about the myth. Brian's first tour with the Beach Boys since '64 sounds much more important and commercial attractive then Brian's first tour with them since '96 or something

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 08:55:33 AM »

Good to see some interest in the press, but no, this was not a good article.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »

How does Brian feel about blue bic lighters in the crowd when he would ask people to light them so he and Jeff could count them from the stage?   Weird one about the animals!

I may be wrong about this whole thing, I'm surprised someone hasn't chided in and corrected me yet, but AS I UNDERSTAND IT (I could be wrong) that's the whole point of the count cigarette lighters joke.  He used to be afraid of them. 

I MAY BE WRONG. 
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »

Just about every national news item I've seen on the reunion reports that the members are touring together for the "first time in 45 years" or the "first time since 1965".

That would be a great hook if true, but it's not even close. Who's handling this PR? Another national story recently claimed that Brian left the band after the SMiLE sessions collapsed and is only returning now!
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »

Because what passes as reporting or journalism these days in particular is a joke. People are told to run a story or piece and they print what they heard or has already been heard even if it's utter crap.

Kinda like it was mostly Mike's fault that Smile was shelved. It only took 45 years to bust that myth.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »

Really? It's been busted? Looks like somebody forgot to tell the bozos on youtube.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »

I don't get the part about the idea of the tour being to position Mike as Brian's creative equal! I've heard nothing from Mike or anyone else involved that remotely suggests such a thing. Everyone: Mike, Al, Bruce, Dave all praise Brian to high heaven as THE genius and guiding force! Mike making mention of his contributions might bother some people, but he's speaking the truth, like it or not. And speaking of his contributions is in no way making a claim as a creative equal to Brian and no one should take it that way. I'll bet if Mike felt he was Brian's creative equal, he'd have no problem stating it openly and emphatically. Too many people don't like when he takes credit for a damn thing. Even things they know he did/contributed. For some reason he's supposed to deny he brought anything to the table and just suck it all up for 50 years.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:08:43 PM by Erik H » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 01:14:16 PM »

I'll bet if Mike felt he was Brian's creative equal, he'd have no problem stating it openly and emphatically.

That's true. He had no problem taking credit for the band's success.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:56 PM »

Honestly, its not Mike that annoys me by putting himself up there as the equal of Brian, its the Robin to his Batman. You might know him as Bruce Johnston. Note in the press release where he says something like, "I will be looking forward to singing Brian Wilson's melodies and Mike Love's lyrics once again in concert."

I just think that reeks of Bruce trying to somewhat re-write history by making it sound like Mike was the bands main lyric writer, which just isn't true. Unless of course they aren't singing Roger Christian, Gary Usher, Van Dyke Parks, Tony Asher, etc. lyrics. Mike's mouthpiece (Bruce) can try to spin it whatever way he wants, but it was the drug addicted, mentally ill guy who was the biggest player in the group, not the fun-in-the-sun, meditating. non drug user. Personally, I like Mike, and he was a very big deal in the band, but he was definitely NOT Brian's equal. And I resent that Bruce tries to spin it that way. Bruce has this real underhanded way of insulting Brian in interviews too.  Not in this press release, but yeah.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »

"Taking credit for the band's success"?

In order for him to do that he'd have to claim that he did everything, which he's never done. All he's done is pointed to his contributions and that he was positive as opposed to Brian being melancholy and how that positive vibe resonated with people. Big deal.

Same goes for Bruce saying he's looking forward to singing Mike's lyrics onstage! So what if he says this? He's obviously not referring to ALL the lyrics to all of the Beach Boys songs. Maybe he just has a soft spot for Mike's lyrics. Once again, big freaking deal.

I really can't wrap my mind around this. How much adulation/credit/claims (indeed true) of genius can Brian be lavished with over the past 50 years to where it will be OK for Mike or anyone else to get a high five for anything they might have brought to the table?

I really really really wish this silliness would stop. The bloo board is open to the public, right? Maybe there should be some migration happening.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:30:14 PM by Erik H » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx