gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:59:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TSS vs 91 Box  (Read 9068 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 05:56:52 PM »

If you get the TSS set, you won't need the '93 set for SMiLE material.

Now there's an intelligent observation. You're a very astute guy, Ben!

And for those wondering about the name Ben Dover:   Grin

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ben%20dover
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:48:26 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 06:21:32 PM »

Now there's an intelligent observation. You've a very astute guy, Ben!

Nice!

Incidentally, I got an entry accepted into Urban Dictionary a while back:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fartwiches

Now they are selling mugs and shirts for it? Sounds like an inappropriate gift for my son on his 11th birthday.....
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »

Now there's an intelligent observation. You've a very astute guy, Ben!

Nice!

Incidentally, I got an entry accepted into Urban Dictionary a while back:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fartwiches

Now they are selling mugs and shirts for it? Sounds like an inappropriate gift for my son on his 11th birthday.....
Thats awesome! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 06:36:48 PM »

Is it just me or are there a large amount of stupid questions being asked lately? Google, google, GOOGLE!

Have there been a lot of new members to this board since TSS was released? It seems so.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 07:14:08 PM »

I will allways defer to Mikie..His collection...... Is bigger than mine..I stopped trading in 2004..Couldnt keep up all requests..Mikie in my mind is one of the kings of BB concerts,,He is the guy for info ..GOD bless you Mikie.. Wish i had the balls TO WALK UP TO BW HOUSE AND ring THE door bell..>>... your one ballsy dude.. I crused BW house but i NEVER got out of the car.. I did hang BB recording.. IN santa monica..Talked to all BB 6th street Santa Monica ... THX dude for info ...I know your one of the real guys....Paul
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 07:20:19 PM »

WALK UP TO BW HOUSE AND ring THE door bell..>>... your one ballsy dude..

Umm....story please, Mikie?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »

I will allways defer to Mikie..His collection...... Is bigger than mine..I stopped trading in 2004..Couldnt keep up all requests..Mikie in my mind is one of the kings of BB concerts,,He is the guy for info ..GOD bless you Mikie.. Wish i had the balls TO WALK UP TO BW HOUSE AND ring THE door bell..>>... your one ballsy dude.. I crused BW house but i NEVER got out of the car.. I did hang BB recording.. IN santa monica..Talked to all BB 6th street Santa Monica ... THX dude for info ...I know your one of the real guys....Paul

Paul, you're making my face heat up and turn red, man. How'd you know that stuff? I'm not king of anything, but maybe I do have a coupla big cahones!  Grin  I gotta start a slush fund here so you can get a Smile box.

P.S. I think Brother Studio was on 5th St., wadinit? Very inconspicuous - no signs anywhere!  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:46:45 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »

It was a long time ago..........36 years.  Gettin' so old I can't remember what the hell happened anymore.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 11:49:38 PM »

It was a long time ago..........36 years.  Gettin' so old I can't remember what the hell happened anymore.

Basically... Brian said "I f***ed her, ya know.".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 01:03:31 AM »

I spent a long time reading threads before posting when I first signed up.

Good boy, Paulos.  You set a fine example for the rest of the posters on this board.

Thanks Michael, it means alot to me that you recognise the fine example I tried to set.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »

My earlier retort was for Jimmy's use of the non-word "alot", which for some reason bugs the crap outta me when I see people use it in a sentence. I don't know why - I'm not an English teacher.  A lot of people still write it that way though!

My pet peeve is when people misspell "definitely"...definatly, definately, defiantly, etc.  People who are otherwise impeccable in their spelling and grammar do it all the time...and I notice that this has been going on since the mid-90's or so...it's gotten worse and worse.  I even had a co-worker insist I was misspelling it, and that she was right!  There is even a website that someone put up about it www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »

My problem is with someone who displays such complete ignorance of an item they're asking about.

It peeves me too although I can see both sides of this issue.  Yes it's annoying when someone comes on any forum and asks information that can easily be gleaned elsewhere.  However in my opinion superseding that is an overall presumption that we as a fanbase are an inclusive community and not an exclusive one.  Therefore, instead of regarding newbies in a harsh manner perhaps we should try to be a little more tolerant of them.  This issue isn't unique to this forum and I've found that it unfortunately seems to be a staple of forums of both The Beach Boys and The Beatles.  I don't know whether it's the fact that these bands invite a crowd of either legitimate or self-professed musical scholars who at times are guilty of taking themselves too seriously or the fact that newbies generally aren't just welcomed into these fanbases.

The sad thing is though that for all of our criticism (myself included) of the Katy Perry's and Justin Bieber's of the world, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if their fanbases are more welcoming to new members than fans of so-called classic rock groups.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 05:31:42 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »

This thread is definitely reminding me of why I didn't bother with this board for a long time after initially enjoying it.  And it makes me wonder if I want to continue bothering.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:25 PM »

Welllllll, you guys are being a little harsh on Jimmy, aren't ya?  Maybe he hasn't heard the new Smile set(s) yet and meant to ask if the versions and mixes of the songs on the new Smile release were the same as those included on the 1993 Good Vibrations box set. Maybe he thought there might be some exact duplication of these particular tracks.

My earlier retort was for Jimmy's use of the non-word "alot", which for some reason bugs the crap outta me when I see people use it in a sentence. I don't know why - I'm not an English teacher.  A lot of people still write it that way though!
Thank you Mikie..you read my mind..of course I have the TSS..and Mr Doe..I recently did get a $1300 hearing aid..thank you for pointing that out. The times we spoke privately were dear to me. I am not so sure now. Sad
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:09 PM »

Are the songs from SMiLE that are on the 91 box set the same as the ones on TSS? Cool

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, they are the same songs, with some variations here and there.  Basically, with the 'Good Vibrations' box, you get 30 minutes of standard 'Smile' tracks.  With the 'Smile' box, you get all of that plus many hours more, presented in a better quality and with more variations, outtakes, sessions, etc.

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 10:20:35 PM »

This thread is definitely reminding me of why I didn't bother with this board for a long time after initially enjoying it.  And it makes me wonder if I want to continue bothering.

hang in there!  I think there's a lot of negativity and some groupthink happening, but lots of solid information and dialog ... just not always presented in a respectful manner.  I think if the nicer folks posted more often instead of being scared away, the tone of the board could change. 

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »

Yeah, I really should post more, but the negativity..........I don't know how much more I can take. I'm very thin-skinned, you know. Good thing some posters use the 'smiley' emoticon, otherwise I'd take them seriously and be real offended!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! :

Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 08:31:17 AM by Mikie » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 09:09:18 AM »

Yeah, I really should post more, but the negativity..........I don't know how much more I can take. I'm very thin-skinned, you know. Good thing some posters use the 'smiley' emoticon, otherwise I'd take them seriously and be real offended!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! :

Grin
Mikie, I'm with you, there. Plus, you are so full of positivity. Oh, the ying and yang of it all. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2012, 09:26:27 AM »

Are the songs from SMiLE that are on the 91 box set the same as the ones on TSS? Cool

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, they are the same songs, with some variations here and there.  Basically, with the 'Good Vibrations' box, you get 30 minutes of standard 'Smile' tracks.  With the 'Smile' box, you get all of that plus many hours more, presented in a better quality and with more variations, outtakes, sessions, etc.
Thank you very much sir.  Thats all I wanted to know.I am not a "newbie".I have been on this site for several years under a similar name. I am 62 yrs old. I have been to many BB shows starting in 1964 and have been a follower since then. I have all the books,t-shirts,Brother Records belt buckle from 72-73,autographed Surfin USA by all members,all the records,some imports,over 25 bootlegs,pic sleeve 45's,yada yada..so much for the "newbie"!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 09:39:41 AM »

Brother Records belt buckle from 72-73

Ah, that's a good one! I still have mine too! It's brass plated and the front of it's orange with the Brother logo on the front. Here's a picture of it, though it was available earlier than 1976 like it says - I think around 1973/'74:

http://sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Miscellaneous/pages/Endless%20Summer%20belt%20buckle.html

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 09:46:08 AM »

I think it's important to point out that while a number of the "songs" are the same on both box sets, the versions that are on TSS are all different from what has been released before (apart from "Heroes & Villains Part 1"). Even "Good Vibrations" has been given an extended middle portion and ending. I'll leave the judgement as to which versions are better to others, but there was definitely a creative decision made to present these tracks in a different manner on the new set.
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:51 AM »

I think it's important to point out that while a number of the "songs" are the same on both box sets, the versions that are on TSS are all different from what has been released before (apart from "Heroes & Villains Part 1"). Even "Good Vibrations" has been given an extended middle portion and ending. I'll leave the judgement as to which versions are better to others, but there was definitely a creative decision made to present these tracks in a different manner on the new set.
Thank you for the reply sir. Smiley
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:48 PM »

And I want to thank all the folks who replied kindly to Jimmy. 

I didn't know exactly how to approach the question, but I'm glad there were others who did.

The idea here should be to help newcomers enjoy this music as many of us have enjoyed it for many years.  Just my opinion.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 10:12:05 PM »

Jimmy isn't a 'newcomer', Rev.  But I think your point is clear.

rogerlancelot
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 11:55:40 PM »

Hi, Jimmy! Don't worry about the insensitive people such as Mr. Doe. He is often seen frequenting backstage at Brian Wilson shows and the stage hands look at each other whispering "isn't that the British pansy who enjoys getting pistol-whipped by Bruce Johnstain in the bathtub while he farts into his tape recorder?". Perhaps if he could get the gun out of his rectum he might be a little nicer to new posters?

And nice to have you here!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx