gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:29:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718577 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1875 on: March 30, 2017, 03:34:28 AM »

Mr. Desper, did you manage to resolve the matter of uploading pictures from your computer?
If you read Mr. Desper's recent posts, you'll see after Billy's answer he shared Carl's signature via photobucket.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: March 30, 2017, 03:35:28 AM »

Mr. Desper, did you manage to resolve the matter of uploading pictures from your computer?
If you read Mr. Desper's recent posts, you'll see after Billy's answer he shared Carl's signature via photobucket.

Okay, thanks! I'll delete the above.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: May 29, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »

Just  finished The study video  on recording Sunflower.   Man, the effort and complexity that went into the recording of it.   You really hear the complexity  -- and the explanations  of the micing  techniques  really show stuff  you'd not hear about in most  forums these days.   These are very dense mixes,  and a decision to mic the drums further back without compression vs.  regular
micing and limiting or whatever,  I can hear in the finished product why, but I'd never think of it.   Oh the time spent in layering, reverb choices,  as well as mic choices.  Do we compress? do we not?
A million decisions. its just amazing -- and drove up the cost I am sure vs. stick mics up and go and plaster reverb and eq later.

Some things that jumped out at me:

16:1 compression on mikes vocal (dang it, forgot the song)   Its not a loud screaming  Robert Plant vocal. Smiley  Yet, other vocals, light compression or none.   I have no concept how one would
decided to do that vs. lower the fader on mixdown .    Interesting.

mic 4 feet away from acoustic guitars vs. the mic a foot or so away.   You don't notice it, as apposed to the break on Breakaway where you hear the room in the vocals.   I only caught that
because  in my early days,  tried that -- not knowing any better (or worse). Smiley
Now (correct me) except in big studios ect.  People record stuff dry and then use the massive array of reverb and spatial plugins  to get what they want.  At least I do. 
I am sure there is a subtle difference in how it sounds. 

Plastic under the vibes, would never think of that.  I can see it getting more  reflections for the PZM.

Percussion on Our Sweet Love.  I was suprised the "The big boys" [top studio, expensive]  would be using makeshift things vs. having a drum set there.   Course it works. Smiley

That off-the beat drums on Slip On Through, still kill me.  My guess is that was a mistake that everyone liked. that and the ping noise --- very Brain.

On Cool Cool Water, so much work for the stream sound. Lol.   Maybe just call over to Capitol and check their sound effects library. Smiley Smiley Smiley

I really how great they were with the vocal arrangements and singing on  Sunflower from hearing it here.  I only had the first release of Sunflower on CD -- no BB's involvement and
no matrix.

All these years, I never got the "back to vinyl" movement.  Hearing Sunflower on this high level  turntable and pre-amps,  I get it. Smiley

Now If I could get sounds like the door knocking that sounds outside of your head effect I'd be very happy.   I am sure thats special equipment.   I hear this kind of thing in background noise
in movies/shows on TV.

Amazing work put into this. I just couldn't imagine the time (on the original recordings and the videos).

Thanks very much for the toil and effort!

Jay

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1878 on: June 03, 2017, 06:50:18 AM »

Just  finished The study video  on recording Sunflower.   Man, the effort and complexity that went into the recording of it.   You really hear the complexity  -- and the explanations  of the micing  techniques  really show stuff  you'd not hear about in most  forums these days.   These are very dense mixes,  and a decision to mic the drums further back without compression vs.  regular
micing and limiting or whatever,  I can hear in the finished product why, but I'd never think of it.   Oh the time spent in layering, reverb choices,  as well as mic choices.  Do we compress? do we not?
A million decisions. its just amazing -- and drove up the cost I am sure vs. stick mics up and go and plaster reverb and eq later.

Some things that jumped out at me:

16:1 compression on mikes vocal (dang it, forgot the song)   Its not a loud screaming  Robert Plant vocal. Smiley  Yet, other vocals, light compression or none.   I have no concept how one would
decided to do that vs. lower the fader on mixdown .    Interesting.

mic 4 feet away from acoustic guitars vs. the mic a foot or so away.   You don't notice it, as apposed to the break on Breakaway where you hear the room in the vocals.   I only caught that
because  in my early days,  tried that -- not knowing any better (or worse). Smiley
Now (correct me) except in big studios ect.  People record stuff dry and then use the massive array of reverb and spatial plugins  to get what they want.  At least I do. 
I am sure there is a subtle difference in how it sounds. 

Plastic under the vibes, would never think of that.  I can see it getting more  reflections for the PZM.

Percussion on Our Sweet Love.  I was suprised the "The big boys" [top studio, expensive]  would be using makeshift things vs. having a drum set there.   Course it works. Smiley

That off-the beat drums on Slip On Through, still kill me.  My guess is that was a mistake that everyone liked. that and the ping noise --- very Brain.

On Cool Cool Water, so much work for the stream sound. Lol.   Maybe just call over to Capitol and check their sound effects library. Smiley Smiley Smiley

I really how great they were with the vocal arrangements and singing on  Sunflower from hearing it here.  I only had the first release of Sunflower on CD -- no BB's involvement and
no matrix.

All these years, I never got the "back to vinyl" movement.  Hearing Sunflower on this high level  turntable and pre-amps,  I get it. Smiley

Now If I could get sounds like the door knocking that sounds outside of your head effect I'd be very happy.   I am sure thats special equipment.   I hear this kind of thing in background noise
in movies/shows on TV.

Amazing work put into this. I just couldn't imagine the time (on the original recordings and the videos).

Thanks very much for the toil and effort!

Jay

COMMENT to Jay:  It's posts like yours that make the book-writing effort worthwhile.

The time spent on the stream sound (mike sings) was a left-over effort to obtain all the water sounds for the Cool, Cool Water Chamberlain project.

If you haven't already, check out the study-video on Cool, Cool Water.

As to adding effects to a dry sound vs recording it all at once -- it's really about stimulation, stimulating the artist.  Which approach do you think will give a better vocal performance. Standing in a vocal booth with headphones on and singing to a pre-recorded orchestral track OR standing in front of a live orchestra and singing as they play behind you? 

Comment on close miking vs far miking.  Given a quiet studio, moving the mics away from the source produces a natural dynamic whereas close miking is more dynamic, but then a limiter will be required to control the dynamic range in a complex mix or if drums, an envelope generator is used to shape the dynamic. There is no right way -- it's whatever works for the song.

AND speaking of close miking, have you noticed that the President changed the traditional microphone setup? Ever since Nixon, the dual mic arrangement was used. Two mics, in phase, blended equally. Did not block the face, but did not allow for any dynamic variation. Given Trump's entertainment background, he wanted to "play" the mic. Control the dynamics by his own movement. This for the dramatic effect only close miking can afford. So now a change. One mic, right up to the mouth, on a flexible gooseneck that anyone can easily adjust for themselves (and do).  This gives the talker the ability to stress certain words over others, speak very softly if a person-to-person type of speech is desired, and remove all feedback problems. I understand that the photographers are upset over this microphone change, as it makes getting a clean shot of the face almost impossible. I also noticed that the mic is suspended upside-down, that is, the shock mount is hanging from the gooseneck rather than perched above it, as is the conventional approach. The upside-down mounting looks strange, but it does uncover the face somewhat and gives the audience and camera a better view of the talker.  So closeup or far miking is all about what you are trying to accomplish. Both are viable.

The 16:1 compression ratio is useful for a singer such as Mike Love who can hit the lower notes, but at a reduced level. In effect, it makes him sound as if he can sing all those low notes with equal intensity. A 4:1 or 2:1 CR is useful to keep many voices from fighting for apparent gain, that is, it makes for a better blending of several voices.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write all your detailed comments. Most appreciated.  ~swd
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: June 03, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »

Stephen,   Thanks so much for your kind comments! 
Its extremely rare you get to talk to someone who was there  on an album you grew up with.  I was fascinated  they did this "at home" as I recorded at home (4th grade an up). 
As a kid i always thought that would be so much fun,  hey have "the life", just hangin' out at home, doing songs  and they were putting out records, how could there not be problems? Smiley Smiley
Thats another reason this is so fascinating. 
Reading your  Sunflower,  I can fell the stress and fear  as they had to go back and re-do Sunflower, ug.  I am sure it was "now what?".    I think that happened with Holland too.  UG.
The equipment, rented and permanent came out of the BB's pockets.  I couldn't imagine that.  (vs, the Beatles where I thought you just got what you needed from the company).

And being an adult now, having all these people tramping through the house (as mentioned in your book) ug. 

I tried the 16:1 on my voice (I am doing it blindly as i almost know what I am doing)  as well as a gate, and  it solved  the problem of  always having to compress (in a plugin) on mixdown.
I forgot 16:1  doesn't mean a threshold of  minus 40 or whatever -- you don't have to scream to get a sound through.  So I am learning things from your book and here. I really appreciate
it.   
I didn't know Smiley Smile was recorded through a PA or radio broadcasting board.  (as was Joshua Tree with U2 i think)..   Just interesting little tidbits.   When the Smile box came out
I hear studio quality recordings of these songs. Never understood why they didn't just cut bait and use those vs. Go home, and record something  that didn't have the fidelity -- as much
of that is what makes Smiley Smile interesting to me.   

WHat?Huh Smiley  The president isn't using the holy sm57?  DAMN IT.   Smiley      I am sure the other candidate would of used sm57's!     lol.      Its not about who is president, its about the mic
they use. Smiley Smiley

THANKS very much.
Jay

cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: June 03, 2017, 01:20:05 PM »

Oh I forgot to ask you, what equipment do you need to get those knocks in your study video to sound outside your head? that is great.

Probably sound even better through my Spatializer.   Yup, I still use it. Smiley  Especially for orchestra/reberby  ambient stuff. I  do my mixdowns of wave files on the PC (I record the tracks on a multi-track recorder), otherwise It would be fun to route everything through that on some types of music.

Jay
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 03, 2017, 09:45:24 PM »

I could listen to Mr. Desper talk all day...
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1882 on: June 04, 2017, 06:53:31 AM »

Oh I forgot to ask you, what equipment do you need to get those knocks in your study video to sound outside your head? that is great.

Probably sound even better through my Spatializer.   Yup, I still use it. Smiley  Especially for orchestra/reberby  ambient stuff. I  do my mixdowns of wave files on the PC (I record the tracks on a multi-track recorder), otherwise It would be fun to route everything through that on some types of music.

Jay

Jay, If you're still using that little "fire cracker" Spatializer(R) I offered with my book a long time ago, here's how to hook it up for your mixes.

Simply connect Spatializer to the output of your mixer and before your recorder.  Doesn't matter if your mixer is virtual or real, digital or analog. Convert the digital output of a computer-mixer to analog and send that stereo signal through Spatializer. Now each input on your mixer that has a "balance" or panning control -- Left to Right -- will now have an extended left or right panning control. That is, a mono source inputted to one input and panned to the extreme left or right will image beyond the speakers left or right by about 30 degrees. The actual left will be about 30 degrees  from the extreme setting. You'll find it as you listen. No matter how many inputs you use, each panning control for each input will be capable of extended panning. If using a stereo source into two inputs (left and right), setting the panning controls to opposite sides (left -- right) will give you an expanded stereo image. You can size the image by decreasing the position of the panning controls. Less panning will give you a narrower image. You can also pan a stereo image to just left (or right) by placing one input panning control to the extreme left and the other input to center. In this case the image will be stereo-left. This can be combined with a stereo-right image to give you a broader panorama. You can input as many stereo sources, combined with mono sources, and pan them as required. No matter how many inputs you use, each panning control will have the extended action giving you an expanded image. This will give you much more control over the overall stereo image of your mix. Try it. Have fun! 
   ~swd
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: June 04, 2017, 10:51:40 AM »

Thank you very much for your time in explaining this.  I am going to try it.   Its all about learning AND FUN.
This will be a whole new avenue of fun and  "research".   As time permits,  I am going to try it, and post  the results.  Other folks here might be interested.
I have isolated instrument tracks from Wild Honey, that I got on this site,  and I have figured out how to hook this up.  So my OCD can run wild.

again,  thanks so much for being involved here.  I don't mean to kiss up, but its a lot of joy.   Learned so much. already.   

Best regards
Jay
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 04, 2017, 11:11:51 AM »

Oh, I went and looked at my stereo system I have the HTML  2510.   In case anyone is interested. 

I remember I only knew about it from  Stereo Review  review.   A magazine sadly gone.  Well, much like  quality stereo ect
equipment for the masses.  DAMNED WHIPPERSNAPPERS! Smiley   

The other   Jay. (in this forum) Smiley 

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1885 on: June 04, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »

Oh, I went and looked at my stereo system I have the HTML  2510.   In case anyone is interested. 

I remember I only knew about it from  Stereo Review  review.   A magazine sadly gone.  Well, much like  quality stereo ect
equipment for the masses.  DAMNED WHIPPERSNAPPERS! Smiley   

The other   Jay. (in this forum) Smiley

COMMENT:  Don't confuse me with multiple personalities, I'm confused enough.

Set the HTML on max, and use the same way as described with the "firecracker" Spatializer. Hook up the same way to your mixer.
~swd 

cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 04, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »

Smiley Smiley    I can't confuse you with multiple personalities,   I am crazy (otherwise I'd go insane).

anyway, thanks. going to test this.   

again, thanks.
Jay   
Mr. Smajda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 26, 2017, 10:08:31 PM »

Hello Mr. Desper,

I just wanted to say thanks for the amazing work you did with the Beach Boys. I got into them around 2004 and the first time I heard "All I Wanna Do", I was taken to another dimension of music that I've never returned from. It has remained my favorite recording of all time throughout all of the experiences I've had over the last decade of my musical journeys, and I'm sure it has just as much to do with your touch on the engineering as it does the song's composition. Your work on that song has given me an ethereal ideal that has permanently influenced my approach to recording music.

I also discovered your extra notes about the recording on your website and thoroughly enjoyed the effort you put into your commentary. Thanks again.
cube_monkey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 03, 2017, 06:48:57 PM »

But also, I was amazed to hear, from around 2:36, (Surf's Up, mmmm, mmmm...), a sound that is not, I think, the beautifully fat Moog bass added by Carl, (actually added by me) but what sounds a bit like a reverb tail, played back in reverse, of the lower keys of a piano, building to something of a crescendo, and then some low, fuzzy sounds like muted speach that appear at around 3:02. What am I hearing here? Below noise level adjacent track leakage from unused tracks.

And one final question: Is the piano in Brian's section the same as that heard on the box set? The sound is a little different, but the playing seems to be the same. Same piano recording but on Surf's Up release, it also went through modifications.

~swd
[/quote]

What a great  trick for me to try.  I would of never thought of anything like this  -- using reverb as the "pedal"  on a ambient or whatever track.
Thanks!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1889 on: July 23, 2017, 03:28:11 PM »

Stephen, forgive me if you've already talked about this, but while re-watching the Contender Songs study video, I noticed that you skipped over any discussion on the track "When Girls Get Together". Being one of my favorite tracks from the group from this era, I was curious as to what the recording process for this track was. Also, apparently the track was going to appear on the group's last album for Capitol, but only as an instrumental. Why did they consider releasing an unfinished track to the public? Or was the track originally intended as an instrumental, only to be given lyrics after the last Capitol album was scrapped. While a beautiful track IMO, I can definitely understand why the boys scrapped it for Sunflower. I feel like it's just such a radically-different song compared to the rest of the tracks on the album. I'd assume that the group wouldn't want to risk including a song like "When Girls Get Together" on their first - and most important album for Reprise Records.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: August 05, 2017, 03:26:16 PM »

Stephen, would you be interested in doing an interview with BBFC about recording with the Beach Boys? Thanks in advance.
WestCoastSurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: August 19, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »

When is your book being released?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:48:59 PM by WestCoastSurf » Logged
Sunnjunky
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: October 25, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »

Mr. Desper,

Was curious if you know anything about the PA system that Sunn built for The Beach Boys in around 66-67. I know Conrad Sundholm said it was delivered to them at a theme park gig in Utah. Was this around when you were working with them and if so any info you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. I recently acquired a Sunn Beach Boy PA head and according to Conrad Sundholm it may be the original unit. I am curious if this can be proven.

Thanks
Tristan
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1893 on: October 27, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »

Mr. Desper,

Was curious if you know anything about the PA system that Sunn built for The Beach Boys in around 66-67. I know Conrad Sundholm said it was delivered to them at a theme park gig in Utah. Was this around when you were working with them and if so any info you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. I recently acquired a Sunn Beach Boy PA head and according to Conrad Sundholm it may be the original unit. I am curious if this can be proven.

Thanks
Tristan

COMMENT to  Sunnjunky:  They (BB) were using the Sunn PA for local gigs when I started designing a replacement. I really never saw or used the system, but I understand it was compact enough to fit into a station-wagon. For larger gigs a rental system was used, but this arrangement left much to be desired, so it was decided to build a larger custom system for their use only. That system was constructed by Audio Industries in Hollywood, CA. In the end, Mike Love bought and paid for the system -- and rented it back to the group. This continued until the four-console/JBL system was built by Quad-8 and owned by American Productions, a subsidiary of Beach Boy Enterprises. That larger system was used for several years in the studio making recordings and in gigs around the planet (USA, Australia, Europe, USSR) until it was sold to Frank Zappa who continued to use the system for his concerts in the USA and Australia.  ~swd
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: December 08, 2017, 10:05:57 AM »

I just listened to the Break Away Study Video. I always loved that song, but as in other cases (such as Our Sweet Love and Slip on Through), the background vocals are such a revelation! As great as the music is - and please do not take offense because your work is outstanding -  I am such a sucker for the a cappella versions of these songs. It really allows me to hear so much more of the unbelievable vocal chops that these guys had that is sometimes too deep in the mix to discern. Their harmonies are stunningly gorgeous. I just wanted to say "Thank you so much" for offering these videos and the a cappella material.
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: March 04, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »

Dear Mr. Desper,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your online tutorials on the Beach Boys recording techniques.
As it has been awhile since part 1 was published, I am anxiously awaiting your part 2 (Surfs Up)
Any ETA?
DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: April 20, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »

I hope you're doing okay, Mr. Desper.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1897 on: April 22, 2018, 05:29:20 AM »

I hope you're doing okay, Mr. Desper.
COMMENT to DRM:  Thanks for asking if I'm OK . . . actually I've had pneumonia, which laid me up for over a month. Taking advantage of the bed-ridden situation, and with the help of my trusty IBM Thinkpad, I was able to tie up all the loose ends and finish the second part of the book. It is now being rendered in the Vimeo software we use for the Study-Videos. Then a final check. So, depending on everyone's schedule, your wait  should not be much longer . . . and will be rewarded with around 175 pages of some interesting stuff.  My health has returned to normal enabling me to now add commentary to a Beach Boy special in the works. Sorry, can't give you more information at this time, but it will be big. ~swd
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: April 22, 2018, 10:42:50 AM »

So glad to hear you are feeling better! Smiley
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: April 22, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »

Agreed! Glad you're well now!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 Go Up Print