gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:11:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718565 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 04, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »

Yeah, Josh...i was just looking at prices, and nearly swallowed my tongue.  I'm afraid i may be saving up for those puppies...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 05, 2007, 04:28:51 AM »

Susan, if you know of any mom and pop gear shops in your area. Check there, you can usually score a pretty sweet mic for very good prices. Its like they're just givin them away!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 06, 2007, 05:19:19 AM »

Good idea, Joe.  Because Sam Ash doesn't seem to have any at all, and eBay's not cheap.  I'll see what i can find in smaller stores...

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 07, 2007, 11:49:25 PM »

Hi Mr. Desper.

I have been reading "Dumb Angel: the life and music of Dennis Wilson" and I came across a quote from you in the book. On page 151 it states that you said "I like to tell people who ask me what it was like to record Brian Wilson that I have erased more BW tracks than most people have heard!" So I was just wondering, is there any tracks of Brian's that you ended up erasing that you remember really liking and thinking to yourself "what a great song"? If so what were the song(s) like?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 08, 2007, 06:35:28 PM »

Mr Desper,
Did you work much with Jack Reilly? If so, what was he like to work with?

Forgive me if this has been discussed on here already, but I don't want to read through 81 pages to find out.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #805 on: April 09, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »

Hi Mr. Desper, I hope you're doing well!

On this topic (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,3743.0.html) we're having a discussion about the Baldwin theater organ that Brian had in 1967...

Would you happen to know what model it was? I think it was either a HT2 or a HT2R, but I'm not sure. I would go for a HT2R since it looks like it and that it was introduced in '67...

Thanks a lot!  Smiley

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #806 on: April 10, 2007, 05:06:52 PM »

Hi Mr. Desper.

I have been reading "Dumb Angel: the life and music of Dennis Wilson" and I came across a quote from you in the book. On page 151 it states that you said "I like to tell people who ask me what it was like to record Brian Wilson that I have erased more BW tracks than most people have heard!" So I was just wondering, is there any tracks of Brian's that you ended up erasing that you remember really liking and thinking to yourself "what a great song"? If so what were the song(s) like?

COMMENT TO MIKEYJ: There is another reference in the Desper-Pedia made on 6-23-05 you may want to look up.  What I really meant by the statement is that due to multi-tracking, during which the tape is often rewound and recorded again and again, I could say what I said.

That is, Brian records a segment of a song. We rewind and playback. He wants to do it again. We record again ... thus erasing what was just recorded. And, the process starts again.  This may go in several times until he approves of his performance.  So while you may hear that one segment of the song, I have been erasing and re-recording it five to ten times.  Thus, erasing more Brian Wilson than most people have heard.
  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #807 on: April 10, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »

Hi Mr. Desper.

COMMENT TO MIKEYJ:  See Desper-Pedia post on 3-3-02  ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #808 on: April 10, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »

Hi Mr. Desper, I hope you're doing well!

On this topic (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,3743.0.html) we're having a discussion about the Baldwin theater organ that Brian had in 1967...

Would you happen to know what model it was? I think it was either a HT2 or a HT2R, but I'm not sure. I would go for a HT2R since it looks like it and that it was introduced in '67...

Thanks a lot!  Smiley

COMMENT TO SLOOPJOHNB:  As far as I know his Baldwin arrived new. I think Brian found it in a store and had it delivered to the studio.  Since it was new, your best bet is by date.  The HT2 was introduced in 1964; the HT2R in 1967; and the HT2RM in 1969. All were Solid State Transistor Divider type sound generators. The HT2 series had the stop specification of a theater organ, not a church organ.  It was available in Walnut or White with Gold Trim.  Brian liked the look as well as the sound of the instrument. ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #809 on: April 10, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »

Yeah, Josh...i was just looking at prices, and nearly swallowed my tongue.  I'm afraid i may be saving up for those puppies...

COMMENT TO SUSAN:  That's what recording studios are for.  If it is a demo you want, find a small studio that can do the X-Y setup with a pair of ribbons and make a date.  Here is a link that has samples of X-Y recordings and comments. The samples are at the bottom of the page.  Not guitars, sorry, but the drum kit is most telling, but the horns are good  too.
>>> http://www.cascademicrophones.com/cascade_FAT_HEAD_MP3.html

Susan, you might also consider the PZM (Pressure Zone Microphone) also called a Boundry Microphone.  It is a little out of the ordinary, but I've used them extensivly and find they always give an excellent performance.  Very natural.  For your use you would need a very quiet room in which to record. Audio-Technica Model AT849 will be a good one for you. I've always used two for stereo, but the AT849 stereo design, using an X-Y configuration, would be ideal.  I have even built my own PZM in the early days, so I understand how they work. Suggest you do a google on "boundry mics" and read up on how they work. They are another X-Y configuration version, but just as viable as the dual ribbon design.

At the following site you can read about it, download the spec sheet, and even hear a sample recording. >>>  http://www.coutant.org/at849.html

Considering you are buying two quality condenser mics, the price might be manageable for you. The AT849 microphone sells for $329.00 from these folks >>> http://www.crossroads-music.org/catalog/audio-technica_special_purpose_at849_stereo_condenser_boundary_microphone_3513106.htm

The lowest price I could find was $311 from this source >>>  http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/mics/specialty-microphones/Audio-Technica/AT849.asp  Not much lower, but it is a professional unit.

The factory Audio-Technica link is >>> http://www.audio-technica.com.cn/eng/model.php?s_id=4&m_id=136

I'm not sure how the boundry mic would work for your vocal.  You may need to use the mic you now own for a center fill, plus a little of the boundry stereo signal for the room sound.  Guess that's what mixing boards are for.

Give a call if you need to talk about it.

~Good Listening, Stephen W. Desper
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:51:21 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »

COMMENT TO AEIJTZSCHE:

Hey guy, I know how you like the old days.

Go to this site about the U47 >>> http://www.coutant.org/u47/index.html

Then click on "Hear Mr. Sinatra advising the band’s director during a recording session."  A trip back to Studio A at Capital.  ~swd
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: April 11, 2007, 02:00:55 AM »

Your knowledge is priceless, Mr. Desper. Thanks again!  Smiley

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 11, 2007, 02:26:25 AM »

Again, Stephen, i thank you for the time you put into your replies.  I will look into those mics, definitely.  Once school is out and life slows down.

I suspect that'll be around 2027...
;-)

In the meantime, i will take all of your comments under advisement and implement what i when i can, and if i come up with anything worth hearing in terms of the recording techniques, i'll let you guys know.

Thanks, Stephen.  Your generosity is awesome.

S

warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: April 22, 2007, 08:36:01 PM »

Hi Steve,

I have a much more basic, non beach boys related question. I am a bit of an amateur song writer and recorder, but I go to college right now, so I don't really have any good equipment to record on. But I still have been recording songs on a webcam microphone. Anyway, I guess what I wanted to ask was if you could listen to some of these songs and let me know what you think, sound wise and song wise (you've produced a few good ones, I figure your opinion is in pretty high esteem!) and perhaps give some suggestions for getting better audio when you record for people like me.

Anyway, I uploaded 4 of them here: http://www.myspace.com/ericwarnckesmusic, so if you can take some time to listen to these, could you let me know what you think? Thanks Steve.

- eric
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: April 30, 2007, 10:39:02 AM »

just checked the SmileySmile-calendar...and if that one's correct, then....

Congratulations on your 65th birthday!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #815 on: April 30, 2007, 03:31:03 PM »

Happy birthday Mr. Desper! Hello

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: April 30, 2007, 03:57:05 PM »

Happy Birthday Stephen!!! Smiley

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #817 on: April 30, 2007, 05:10:21 PM »

Happy Birthday, and many happy returns!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #818 on: May 01, 2007, 10:16:30 PM »

My oh my what a wonderful morning to open your birthday greetings to me.  Totally unexpected, but certainly made for a joyful day.

Thank you all so much for thinking of me and taking the time to send messages. 

This is a great website with equally great members.

Good Listening one and all,  ~Stephen W. Desper
MBE
« Reply #819 on: May 02, 2007, 02:03:10 AM »

May I also join the others in saying I hope your birthday is fantastic.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: May 02, 2007, 05:33:36 AM »

On Feb 26, 2004 I sent my computer into the shop to fix a few problems. 

During the course of repair, an inexperienced attendant deleted all my

backup copies of what I had written on the Cabinessence.com board

before that date. There were over one-hundred pages.

question is:

Does anyone have copies of what I wrote on the Cabenessence.com board?

And willing to send a copy back to me?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 05:34:29 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 02, 2007, 05:41:56 AM »

not sure how much i have but in my hands now is an 11 page print out from 1/28/02 about you talking about 20/20 and "producer" credit within the band. you are more than welcome to a copy of this....

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 02, 2007, 06:43:58 AM »

On Feb 26, 2004 I sent my computer into the shop to fix a few problems. 

During the course of repair, an inexperienced attendant deleted all my

backup copies of what I had written on the Cabinessence.com board

before that date. There were over one-hundred pages.

question is:

Does anyone have copies of what I wrote on the Cabenessence.com board?

And willing to send a copy back to me?

here is a link to a lot of them.... http://surfermoon.com/

on the right side of the page you will see the link to some of your old posts... hope this helps and is what you are looking for...

and i also hope you had a great birthday!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:05:00 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 02, 2007, 08:50:05 AM »

Just to help you out even more, click on "Writings" (on either the right side or in the middle), and then look at the third column, titled "Net Sounds Archives" and your threads are the fourth and fifth ones shown.

Happy Birthday!!!!             

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
MBE
« Reply #824 on: May 02, 2007, 09:21:51 PM »

You made me copies Steve so I can make duplicates. Email me at edermike@msn.com
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 09:51:01 PM by MBE » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx