gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:41:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 722603 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2006, 12:08:10 PM »

I can see the photos as well. I went ahead and saved them to my computer. Thanks so much!
I'm no computer wizzzzz, but saving them to your computer may only save the address to the file on the image hosting service and not the actual image itself. So be aware of that. Others here know more about this, so please advise. ~swd
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2006, 12:45:17 PM »

I'm pretty sure it saves the actual picture and not the address to the host for it.

Mr Desper,

At times i'll have a lot of trouble with my self-confidence while recording a song. I do believe I have decent enough equipment to attain decent recordings so I can assume it's just my perceptions of the recording not being "as good" as it "could be". I'm wondering if you've ever been dissatisfied with any recordings you've done? Also were there ever a time when any Beach Boy, or the whole group together felt that something could've been recorded better, sung better, or played better?

I've read about Brian disliking his voice on "Let Him Run Wild", and he being ticked off about the chorus in "California Girls" sung slightly off beat, but i'm more interested in the days of which you spent with the group.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Robert Wheeler
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2006, 03:19:09 PM »

Mr Desper,

Seeing as the analouge/digital debate came up in our discussion, I wonder if you would be interested in having a look at www.sa3.com . I first came across these guys a few years ago, and they really seem to be on to something. They claim to have new technolgy based on a new type of wave theory, and from what they are delivering it seems very possible to me.

There are a lot of things in wave theory that are perfectly explain, but one or two, such as the result of double slit refraction experiments that have never been explained. I've always felt there is a fundemental misunderstanding in the realtivity of waves and the properties of different waves, and that there may be a better physical explanation for some things, and that their might be logical roots to all sounds... and anyway check it out. The a-b samples on there are pretty cool.
mike slattery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2006, 05:23:19 AM »

Hi Stephen

I've got a bit of a 'how long is a bit of string' type question, which is:  how many different vocal parts can be happening at once and still allow the human ear to discern each part without it all becoming a big mush of sound..?

stacked harmonies wouldn't count, it has to be one different part for each voice, so 5 part harmony would indeed count, but 5 part harmony with eaxch part doubled would not

thanks

Mike

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2006, 08:24:53 AM »

COMMENT TO ALL --

Got a call from Alan Jardine last night.  In the course of our conversation I told him I wanted to clear up some confusion in my mind about Sail On Sailer.  I said I had this vocal only tape of many songs and the vocal only of SOS certainly sounds like Carl singing to the backing track we did at the house studio during the Surf's Up days.  So I asked, was Blondie singing lead in the "Holland" release meaning that it was recorded again in Holland.  So Al said that it was Blondie but that song was not recorded in Holland.  It was done at Village Recorders when they returned from Holland, which accounts for the better production values heard in SOS over the stuff they recorded in the megshift (his words) setup they had in Holland.  He and I both stated how Blondie had pulled off such a Carl-like sounding vocal, even to the pronunciation of the words.  But he assured me it was Blondie.  Some of the tracks were from before but the lead was re-sung.  So, that ends that debate -- at least in my head.
  ~swd
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »

For those who wanna know: I've found out that the tune Sail On Sailor is in perfect pitch, like f.e. A=440
As history tells it , I believe it was the only song completely recorded in the USA, unlike the rest, in Holland.

All the other songs of the album are slightly lower in pitch ( I cannot play along with it, on a normal tuned piano)

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2006, 05:17:18 PM »

Steven this has been discussed a few times before and speculated on, but can you offer any insights as to why Brian didn't sing lead on "A Day In The Life of a Tree"?  Most of us figure that it was just too personal and sad for him to want to go anywhere near it.  I'd be really curious to hear any thoughts you may have.  Thanks!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2006, 02:33:37 AM »

He and I both stated how Blondie had pulled off such a Carl-like sounding vocal, even to the pronunciation of the words.  But he assured me it was Blondie.  Some of the tracks were from before but the lead was re-sung.  So, that ends that debate -- at least in my head.[/b]  ~swd

Mr. Desper,

Have you closely compared your vocal only track and the Holland "Sail On Sailor" track? I have a hard time hearing "Carl" in the official release, to me it sounds unmistakingly like a Blondie lead. Furthermore, if you were out of the picture when the Blondie lead was recorded after the band returned from Holland, how could you have access to a vocals only mix?

Surely, it's way possible that 1. I don't know squat about Carl's and Blondie's voices and 2. You werent working with the Beach Boys anymore but you could have been given the vocals only mix of Sail on Sailor by Carl as a gift in 1973.

I apologize If I'm bothering you with a subject that's already closed.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2006, 04:16:45 AM »

Hi Mr Desper,

I got two questions which I hope haven't been asked before.
First, I know many BBs-fans who ould like to know if that "sex sound" on the coda to "All I want to do" from 20/20 was a fake or real. Normally I would say "fake", but ith Dennis nothing seems so sure I believe...
And second, how came that you and the BBs used this radically different sound on Sunflower compared to the album before (20/20) ? Sunflower sounds like from another world compared to the "old class"-sound of 20/20. Had it anything to do with the change to Warner?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2006, 05:22:28 AM »

(knowing that the sounds at the end of that track are real, I can't wait for Desper's stories on THAT one...)

Grin
mike slattery
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2006, 09:08:53 AM »

its absolutely real

(knowing that the sounds at the end of that track are real, I can't wait for Desper's stories on THAT one...)

Grin
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2006, 09:16:31 AM »

He and I both stated how Blondie had pulled off such a Carl-like sounding vocal, even to the pronunciation of the words.  But he assured me it was Blondie.  Some of the tracks were from before but the lead was re-sung.  So, that ends that debate -- at least in my head.[/b]  ~swd

Mr. Desper,

Have you closely compared your vocal only track and the Holland "Sail On Sailor" track? I have a hard time hearing "Carl" in the official release, to me it sounds unmistakingly like a Blondie lead. Furthermore, if you were out of the picture when the Blondie lead was recorded after the band returned from Holland, how could you have access to a vocals only mix?

Surely, it's way possible that 1. I don't know squat about Carl's and Blondie's voices and 2. You werent working with the Beach Boys anymore but you could have been given the vocals only mix of Sail on Sailor by Carl as a gift in 1973.

I apologize If I'm bothering you with a subject that's already closed.

Thanks Mr. Desper for following-up with Al about the SOS session. Keep that tape safe; it would make a great addition to a rarieties collection some day.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2006, 04:46:25 PM »

Andrew Doe confirmed it was real in his book. I'll quote...

The non-musical fade, as you would expect from a Dennis wilson production, is, according to engineer Desper, precisely what is sounds like.

But, yeah, I want the story too...  Grin

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2006, 08:25:05 PM »

I think it MAY have been mentioned somewhere in one of the archives...

Watch out for snakes!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 02, 2006, 12:58:19 AM »

Hi Mr Desper,

I got two questions which I hope haven't been asked before.
First, I know many BBs-fans who ould like to know if that "sex sound" on the coda to "All I want to do" from 20/20 was a fake or real. Normally I would say "fake", but ith Dennis nothing seems so sure I believe...
And second, how came that you and the BBs used this radically different sound on Sunflower compared to the album before (20/20) ? Sunflower sounds like from another world compared to the "old class"-sound of 20/20. Had it anything to do with the change to Warner?

The story is told in details in one of those two links, probably the former:

http://surfermoon.com/essays/desperarchive.html

http://comiclist.com/smileysmile/viewtopic.php?t=8960

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 02, 2006, 02:25:59 AM »

Looks like Chuck deleted the old thread?
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: February 02, 2006, 02:55:04 AM »

BTW, the petition was delivered to Brother Records and Capital Records on January 24.  Post office even gave me a signed confirmation for each.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2006, 02:56:59 AM »

Looks like Chuck deleted the old thread?

Chuck is working on making Stephen's messages available ASAP.

Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2006, 03:14:51 AM »

BTW, the petition was delivered to Brother Records and Capital Records on January 24.  Post office even gave me a signed confirmation for each.

That's cool news.

Chuck is working on making Stephen's messages available ASAP.

I figured you'd, er...Chuck would, have saved the thread.  I just like whatever figure of speech it is where you say a statement that you know is false and put a question mark after it.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2006, 08:33:27 AM »

What I see in my head is super spectacular.  A Stephen Desper Search Engine.  A Digital Desper.  His words, broken down by category, all easily found by the Pico search engine.  I'm open to suggestions for the categories.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2006, 09:09:49 AM »

How about:

General (like the "Life" post)
Stories
Song Details
Recording Details

I'm sure there are more, but I'd have to look through the threads for ideas.

Watch out for snakes!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »

Desperpedia

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »

Mitchell - you forgot "Lessons."  He's certainly dispensed plenty...and at a mighty high level.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2006, 07:11:26 PM »

Mr Desper,

Seeing as the analouge/digital debate came up in our discussion, I wonder if you would be interested in having a look at www.sa3.com .  The a-b samples on there are pretty cool.

I read the artical with interest.  Thank you for pointing it out.  Some of the adverbs and discriptive adjectives used to discribed his results also would discribe the results I'm getting with my analog processing.  I did not listen to samples as I don't see what me telling him my cell phone telephone number as registration requirements has to do with downloading a sample of his work. All I know is, many things that you would think can only be done digitally are actually doable in analog with more musical sound.  But who knows.  Anyway it was interesting to read about.   ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »

Hi Stephen

I've got a bit of a 'how long is a bit of string' type question, which is:  how many different vocal parts can be happening at once and still allow the human ear to discern each part without it all becoming a big mush of sound..?

stacked harmonies wouldn't count, it has to be one different part for each voice, so 5 part harmony would indeed count, but 5 part harmony with eaxch part doubled would not.
All I know is that with training a human being can keep track of five dissimular thought patterns.  A crow can keep track of three.  A dog one or two.  If you add harmony to the mix I suppose you could keep track of five parts.  I know in mixing I can keep track of four easy.  I use to mix sound and run the lights.  The mix was in real time and the light cues had to be given early.  So part of my brain was in realtime and part was operating in future time.  I got use to it after a while.  A TV producer must do the same -- call shots before the action and also keep his thought on what is actually happening.  Generally I would say that after five part harmony or five of anything, you tend to let it blur or run together.   ~swd
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx