gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718469 times)
SurferGirl7
« Reply #225 on: January 29, 2006, 08:57:30 AM »

Cool pic's Mr. Desper. Like the info. that came with them too.  Smiley
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2006, 12:34:18 PM »

Mr. Desper,
Surely it's not your problem if copies of the decoded Sunflower and Surf's Up end up on Ebay? Ebay are normally quite quick at ending illegal or bootleg auctions.

I was thinking the same thing.

Glenn
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2006, 04:42:49 PM »

Here are some stills from AB, hopefully it's ok to post them.  All of the Beach Boys studio.
Just through the door looking in to the studio

Steve at the consoles with an EV re-15 as the talkback mic...

Al playing Carl's(?) Tele thru a Fender Amp.

Bruce at the Rhodes, Brian's awesome Baldwin Theater Organ in the background

The Boys around the U67 in Omni?

Mike doing a jig in front of his seperate RCA 77

Into the control room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 29, 2006, 04:59:45 PM »

Wow, I ain't seen much of the boys in the studio...  Some of them there pics send shivers up me spine...

Thanks aeij and Steve... much appreciated.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 29, 2006, 05:46:27 PM »

Those are all screenshots from the video for Time To Get Alone from the American Band documentary. Matinee, you haven't seen that? If not, do.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 29, 2006, 05:51:27 PM »

I've always wondered from that same session, who put the dog over Al's shoulder while he was recording.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2006, 06:18:50 PM »

Those are all screenshots from the video for Time To Get Alone from the American Band documentary. Matinee, you haven't seen that? If not, do.

American Band (a CHEAP DVD by the way) and Endless Harmony are the cornerstone of any BB fan's video collection.  American Band has the better footage (even if the editing stinks) but EH is a more complete story.

Mr. Desper -- I would love to hear any commentary on what I would assume is an alternate mix of Time to Get Alone played while this footage is shown.  The rising vocals are far more prominent on the choruses and I think I may prefer it that way.  Did you do this or was it done after the fact by others (assuming you have this video)?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 06:20:27 PM by Jeff Mason » Logged
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »

Wow, no, I ain't seen the doco... The DVD ain't available here, Endless Harmony is though, that's a good DVD.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2006, 06:34:51 PM »

If you have any way of watching Region 1, here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006SFJC/qid=1138588381/sr=1-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3699602-3129456?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

And you also get the famous Brian Wilson doc.  I have noticed it is more likely for someone outside of the US to handle region 1 than for someone like me to do, say region 2 (and what region is Australia anyway?).
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2006, 06:37:14 PM »

We is Region 4, along with all of southern asia...

Aie, I remember when IJWMFTT premiered on SBS here, I was a little tacker... It scared the f*** out of me.  I was crying for most of the duration...
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »

Quote from: aeijtzsche link=topic=5.msg11198#msg11198 date=1138581769}
[b
DESPER -- I don't know how much info I can add here.[/b]
Here are some stills from AB, hopefully it's ok to post them.  All of the Beach Boys studio.
DESPER -- Looks like Ricky Fatar (Flame) with his back to us in the white shirt. Bruce is looking at the camera. Carl has a red shirt on. And Alan in the strips. Mike is looking over Alan's head.   
Just through the door looking in to the studio

Steve at the consoles with an EV re-15 as the talkback mic...
DESPER -- Ricky Fatar looks on.  3M Tape Machine in BG.
Looks as if I'm riding gain as was my preference over manually doing it I used the limiters
for smoothing but my hand on the knob to stress the emotion.
I also use to bring up the ends of vocal notes, sometimes as much
as 10dB so that the ending of words or lines could be heard later on as the mix developed.

Al playing Carl's(?) Tele thru a Fender Amp.
DESPER -- Looks like Dennis, shirtless and in shorts, is rolling a joint -- or something in a plastic bag.
Sound baffles in background

Bruce at the Rhodes, Brian's awesome Baldwin Theater Organ in the background
DESPER -- Looks like Bruce's finished salad on the Rhodes.

The Boys around the U67 in Omni?
DESPER -- Bruce looking at Brian in the flowerd shirt. Carl's head just sceen at the right.
When mike sang higher parts he moved to the group's mic.

Mike doing a jig in front of his seperate RCA 77
DESPER -- The studio looks jammed up with equipment.  Must have been getting ready or
finishing up with sideman session, otherwise the studio was much more accommodating.

Into the control room
DESPER -- me and Alan. The control room was 2/3's room and 1/3'ed monitor enclosure.
Not a big control room but still had great & true sound. The studio had a 13 foot ceiling. You can
see a beam inside the studio which actually went up 12 inches beyond what is visable. Hanging
down between the beams are "clouds" or acoustic absorbers suspended from the ceiling. Looking
on up into the studio was actually looking up through the window to the mezzanine level beyond the wall.
As you may know, the control room use to be a sewing room only entered by a
hidden door behind a "built-in" shelf at the right side of the fireplace. We took out the shelves
on the left of the fireplace and made that window.
The door and stairway leading up to the control room were to the right of the fireplace.
If you look to the left of the window you can see how thick the walls were in this old house. 
Maybe 12 inches solid.

Thanks for the memories!!  ~swd

==============================================
« Last Edit: January 29, 2006, 08:13:09 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2006, 08:19:14 PM »

Mr. Desper -- I would love to hear any commentary on what I would assume is an alternate mix of Time to Get Alone played while this footage is shown.  The rising vocals are far more prominent on the choruses and I think I may prefer it that way.  Did you do this or was it done after the fact by others (assuming you have this video)?
I don't have the video so cannot speak to that sound track.  I did the alternate mix for myself that is on other CD's.  The mix I did for my own enjoyment was never intended for release until Alan Boyd included it in his compilation. ~swd
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: January 30, 2006, 12:43:16 AM »

All the 'mixes' in AB were done by the people involved in the project. I think some of them were inadvertant.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 30, 2006, 06:58:15 AM »

I can't view the photos that Mr. Desper posted. Is anyone else having trouble with that?

Otherwise, cool stuff. What an interesting weekend I missed!

Watch out for snakes!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: January 30, 2006, 08:27:30 AM »

I can't view the photos that Mr. Desper posted. Is anyone else having trouble with that?

MICHAEL -- I posted most all those photos on freeimagehosting.net.  I looked at my account and all the codes are there but it says the image is not.  According to this site, they hold images for 60 days.  I don't have time to research what happened.  I just wish you could put an image on smileysmile.com directly.  If you could I'd post a lot more stuff, but it's such a hassel to post an image I don't do it often -- and then you see what happens. 

If someone has any suggestions about this proceedure I'm open to hearing it as other posters don't seem to have such hassels.

Since this website has disconnected me without notice on several occasions, this time I assembled that posting in WORD and copied it over to Smileysmile.com for posting.  All the wording and codes are still there. No sense in re-posting since freeimagehosting.net is where the problem is. But, I could upload the images again some time to another service and go from there.

The other strange thing is that the last three images are stored on another image service, picsplace.to.  Two of those images are gone also, but the photo of me remains.  ?? go figure ??
~swd 
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: January 30, 2006, 08:30:45 AM »

ALSO MICHAEL -- Did you notice that some of the Avatars on this site are not coming up?  I don't think that has to do with my postings, but maybe it does somehow.  You know, analog audio is my thing, not digital algorithms. ~swd
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2006, 08:47:51 AM »

MICHAEL -- I posted most all those photos on freeimagehosting.net.  I looked at my account and all the codes are there but it says the image is not.  According to this site, they hold images for 60 days.  I don't have time to research what happened.  I just wish you could put an image on smileysmile.com directly.  If you could I'd post a lot more stuff, but it's such a hassel to post an image I don't do it often -- and then you see what happens. 

If someone has any suggestions about this proceedure I'm open to hearing it as other posters don't seem to have such hassels.

Since this website has disconnected me without notice on several occasions, this time I assembled that posting in WORD and copied it over to Smileysmile.com for posting.  All the wording and codes are still there. No sense in re-posting since freeimagehosting.net is where the problem is. But, I could upload the images again some time to another service and go from there.

The other strange thing is that the last three images are stored on another image service, picsplace.to.  Two of those images are gone also, but the photo of me remains.  ?? go figure ??
~swd 

I would guess that the reason the images aren't showing up is that you've exceeded your allotted bandwidth. You run into that problem a lot with the free image hosting sites, especially when you post the pictures directly on a message board. Sometimes you can avoid that by just posting links to the pictures instead of the actual pictures. I like to use a website called www.thefilehut.com for hosting files, pictures, etc. It gives you unlimited bandwidth, I believe, and it's free. You just have to make an account there, which takes about ten seconds, and it's pretty self-explanatory on how to upload pictures and such. One problem I've had with the site, ohwever, is that sometimes when I go to login, it doesn't recognize my username and I'll have to register again with the same username (like I said, it takes less than a minute, so it's not that big of a hassle).
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2006, 08:49:36 AM »

I can see the avatars on this site, the small 'signed' image of the boys, the photo of you (and when I click it, it goes to the large version), and the large 'signed' image of the boys. The photos you linked within the document are listed as jpg files, but when I click on them, I get a "Hosted by FreeImageHosting.net Hosting Service" message but no photo. Perhaps the alloted bandwidth usage has been exhausted. I haven't used the Free Image Hosting myself, so I'm not sure how it works.

Watch out for snakes!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2006, 09:45:10 AM »

I can see all of the images in Stephen's post.

Some of the avatars are disappearing because people chose to use temporary hosting of the picture, usually at freeweb whatever.  They don't store pictures forever.

Registering again under the same exact username should be impossible, unless the username was deleted.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2006, 09:49:34 AM »

Another cause of missing avatars is Mitchell's:  the url is http://www.comiclist.com/smileysmile/images/avatars/1877004138436794b27a13f.jpg.  That url no longer exists, as the old smiley smile board doesn't live there anymore.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2006, 10:13:41 AM »

Whoa, you're right. My avatar is gone!

Chuck, could you make a spot for Mr. Desper to post his photos? Or would that be too much of a drain on bandwidth. It'd be nice to encourage his posting awesome photos.

Watch out for snakes!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2006, 11:03:34 AM »

I'll see what I can do.  I think we are dope on bandwidth and storage, so I'm certain I can work something out.

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2006, 11:08:10 AM »

COMMENT TO MICHAEL -- I wrote the image people an email asking them to re-instate the photos and I guess they did as I see my account is back to displaying the photos.  You should be able to see them on this site now.  Your avatar does not come up for me however.  ~swd
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2006, 11:16:49 AM »

The avatar problem is because Chuck removed the files from the server (it used to be linked from the old board). I can see the photos now, however. Thank you!

Watch out for snakes!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2006, 11:30:45 AM »

I can see the photos as well. I went ahead and saved them to my computer. Thanks so much!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx