gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:02:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Stephen Desper Thread  (Read 718912 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 02, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »

I'm still on Vista so I'm not sure how precisely this would work on 7 but I imagine it's similar enough: Go to Windows Update [you can find it by typing 'Update' in the search bar of the start menu] and select 'Change settings'. From there, under the drop-down menu titled 'Important updates' select the option "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". Make sure to have checked the box under 'Recommended updates' if you want this to be the case for those types of updates too.

Hopefully that is translatable to Windows 7 and that it works!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1101 on: November 03, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »

COMMENT TO GUITARFOOL2002:

It is called "Final Uninstaller" by Digital River  ... try [ http://finaluninstaller.com ].

Cool Cool Water?
  ~swd

Thank you for the tip on the uninstall program - I will definitely be looking into this in the near future! I'm tired of getting all kinds of junk installed on my PC which I can't control.

About Cool Cool Water - It's a guitar track that was on the "Wild Honey"-era version of the tune, and on the tracks I've heard it was panned to the right during the tracking. It sounds like a guitar that was maybe being "vibrato-ed" manually by a Bigsby tremolo like Carl had on his Fender Tele...but at the same time it sounds like some kind of modulation is also being applied to the track. Or, the Bigsby is just being used with a very precise right hand, because the pulsing of the notes seems more constant than the usual Bigsby sounds.

I've always been impressed by and curious about that guitar tone! Is there anything going on there beyond the guitar into an amp? Thanks!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: November 09, 2010, 07:20:25 AM »

COMMENT:

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE STUDIO MONITOR?   AND WHY?

When I worked with him, Brian Wilson's favorite monitor was the Altec 604e Super Duplex, mounted in an Altec 612 stock enclosure, modified with the UREI 813-"type" time alignment crossover, driven by a McIntosh MC225 tube power amplifier.

My favorite monitor is the JBL 4311, driven by a Fisher SA-1000 tube power amplifier, or a Bryston 4B-SST Solid-State power amplifier, which I still use as a monitor system at my home.

I realize these are "old school" monitors, but even today these monitors will produce an outstanding mix and listening experience. The 604 is a far-field monitor whereas the 4311 is a near-field monitor, one of the first.

~swd

Background Data:
Studio Monitor History >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studio_monitor
Altec Lansing 604e Duplex Monitor (front page) >>> http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/images/604E.SuperD.1.jpg
Altec Lansing 604e Duplex Monitor (rear page) >>> http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/images/604E.SuperD.2.jpg
Altec Lansing 612 Enclosure (front page) >>> http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/utility.cabs.1.jpg
Altec Lansing 612 Enclosure (rear page)  >>>http://www.voiceofthetheatre.com/utility.cabs.2.jpg
UREI Crossover >>>http://kiirojbl.exblog.jp/9070201/   
James B. Lansing 4311 Studio Monitor >>>http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4311b.pdf
McIntosh MC225 Power Amplifier >>> http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/704mac/
Fisher SA-1000 >>> http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/fisher/sa-1000/PRD_346659_1583crx.aspx
Bryston 4B-SST >>>  http://bryston.com/4bsst_m.html
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 06:07:25 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1103 on: August 07, 2011, 03:36:16 AM »

This was posted on facebook. Thought it might fit in here too....

[attachment deleted by admin]

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1104 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »

Cool Cool Water Live 1971 on Mike Douglas « on: July 27, 2011, 07:38:51 AM »   

Greetings to all Beach Boys fans!  For a long time now, there's been a full-length clip of the The Beach Boys live performance of "Cool, Cool Water" in 1971 on Youtube.  It is said to be performed on the Mike Douglas show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnojeqlzo8s

Unfortunately,  the video quality of the clip is very poor.  This being perhaps my all time favorite Beach Boys song, I find this to be quite a bummer, as I long to see the full length performance and perhaps even some additional portions from this episode of Mike Douglas.  A piece of this performance was shared in MUCH higher quality in the Endless Harmony DVD, but it is a shorter and incomplete clip.  If you haven't seen it, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kANkGBy5lJ4

I absolutely love this performance.  My favorite moment might actually be at :58 into the second clip where Carl's amazing voice is completely audible and you can hear the beautiful parts he's singing.  Then again, at 1:29 you can hear him quite clearly.  I believe his voice is a little more audible than it is in the mix on Sunflower, as I really get to hear the brilliance of what he is performing wonderfully live.  Every time I hear the album version now, I listen for his parts at these moments. 

Does anybody have this full episode and / or performance in high quality?  It would be an incredible experience to see the bulk of the footage in broadcast quality.  Please, if anybody has any leads, let me know.  I'm happy to share, but all I have is the smaller portion of the performance in high quality, which I've managed to get up on Youtube for people to check out if they haven't already.  Also, does anybody possess any more live video performances (or audio only) of "Cool, Cool Water."  I recently had the pleasure of hearing it performed live at Princeton on 11/13/71:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9HP06opND4

Out of the two live performances I've posted (MD and Princeton), which one do you guys prefer? They are certainly quite different.  The Beach Boys appear to be using a synthesizer or some sort of percussion instrument I can't identify on the Princeton recording , which you can hear when Mike Love delivers his "In an ocean or in a glass" line.  I would love to have the opportunity to see some more live footage or hear some more live audio of this amazing song.  Please understand that I am in my early twenties, so it's somewhat difficult to hear more than what is already out there, as I wasn't afforded the opportunity to watch or attend these shows when they were happening.

Thanks guys!

COMMENT: 

Hello InAnOcean,

I am Stephen W. Desper. I originally engineered the song CCW. I have read the above commentary and will try to give you my perspective.

During this time, when  not recording in the studio, I was traveling with five Beach Boys doing concert tours, as the house and monitor mixer. A TV show appearance in Philadelphia was arranged into the travel literary. That was The Mike Douglas Show , upon which the guys made several appearances over the years. Meanwhile, other tour itineraries would also book guest appearances on the LIVE with Regis and Kelly show. After 41 years, the memories are sometimes confused, as these shows and dates all run together. However, I do remember this particular MD show because of the CCW arrangement. Of course CCW contains several layers of vocals and vocal parts, too many to sing live (without using backup singers).  So the live arrangement had to give a good impression of the song. It would be a challenge and the group knew it, but after some discussion they decided to go forward and develop an arrangement for live performance. Since there were only four singing voices, Bruce supplied parts of the vocal flavors on his keyboard. What harmonies were to be played on the keyboard, and which ones would bed sung, would be the subject of many hours of practice time. Bruce developed a playing technique that you see on the video of playing the B3 Hammond organ in a staccato fashion. This technique supplied the harmonies necessary to the song without overriding the parts that would be sung. The arrangement would be worked out at the house studio and rehearsals of the final arrangement would continue to be worked on while on the road – right up to air time. We would tape practice performances and judge the playbacks, make changes and continue. As I recall, the air date was close when the decision was made to perform CCW, so as I said, the guys practiced on the road right up to the show date.

Before the performance you see on YouTube, the BB chatted with MD about CCW and how they recorded it, it’s history, Brian’s role, etc. Then Douglas noticed Darrel Dragon in the band and said hello to him, but Darrel had no microphone so he was shouting at Douglas and it became a little amateurish. Finally it was time to sing. In the interim I was to find my way up to the TV control room, the sound control room. The show’s sound mixer would mix the show, but before the show he and the producer ask me to show them where it would be good to put close-ups, feature instruments, who would be singing what top lines, stuff like that. Then I would stand behind the sound mixer and tell him what parts he should bring up or down in the mix. TV uses union engineers, so I could not sit at the desk, but would be a guide to the mixer. I recall he was a very amendable fellow and quite responsive to my suggestions. I thought the mix came out quite good for a TV show. I remember needing to demand that Mike’s mic be lifted in the mix as he sings his part softly. This required Mike’s fader to be twice as high as the other voices, an unusual setting, but finally we got it increased. The director got all the cues on time, with good calls on the shots. Remember this is live TV. No rehearsals and no rewind button!

As to finding video footage of this MD show, ask Boyd on his thread, The Allan Boyd Thread. He may be able to help you.

You also ask about other forms of “this amazing song.”  A few years ago Allan Boyd and myself decided to participate in a Beach Boy Convention, called Busy Doin’ Nothing. It was in Connecticut. One of several exhibits we set-up involved CCW.  The idea was to give fans a chance to mix all vocal parts with or without the instruments. To do this Allan and I went back to the multi-tracks (on 2 inch tape) and made a mix over to an 8-track cassette. With noise reduction, it’s a fairly accurate sound. Seven tracks of vocals and one of the instrumentation. This was made on my machine, which I still have. At the convention I located myself in a quiet area and with the 8-track, a 16-channel mixer, powered close-field monitors placed right in front of you. I put some heavy velvet curtains around the listening area. So each person would come in and sit in front of the mixer. I would show them how to make each voice louder by moving the slide fader and how to pan each vocal track. If someone wanted more, I would show them EQ, how to add echo, insert a track hop with delay, to each of the channels.  Although I have the whole song recorded on 8-track, at the convention I used only the last part of the song.  But that was plenty for most people … doing around six complete passes. Some people came back for seconds and thirds, as they developed a sound from the eight tracks. A few people mixed the entire song. Unfortunately, Brother Records would not allow copies of each person’s attempt at mixing CCW to be recorded, but each person who sat at that console did receive a certificate, telling that they did mix down Cool, Cool Water and signed and dated by me.

Also at that convention I setup two tables full of headphones. I rented thirty professional headphones and headphone distribution amplifiers from a NYC studio equipment rental house. In preparation for this listening session by the fans, Allan and I selected many out-takes, unreleased songs, and other sonic items of interest that may never be heard … into a 45 minute presentation to be listened to only over headphones. By sitting at a table with hard-wired headphones we could assure BRI that none of what was being presented would be copied by fans. In this way we could let the fans hear many things that will never be heard. At a second table we continually played the unreleased second album by The Flame, produced by Carl Wilson. This album still remains unreleased to this day, but those who came to the convention could hear it all.

Finally, with respect to Cool, Cool Water…   It seems you are a “late arrival” fan, and may not know of my book Recording The Beach Boys, now out-of-print. In the Sunflower  section I go over details about recording all the songs including CCW. When I was selling this book I was also selling a device that you could insert into a stereo system the would de-code the matrix that CCW and other songs were recorded in.  You do know that Sunflower and of course CCW was released in stereo with the mix still locked in a matrix. I mixed down in those days into a dimensional matrix that, when played back through, would project the vocals and some instruments to sound as if forward of the speakers and beyond the speakers another thirty degrees or so. Some sounds even image behind the listener. When you listen to CCW through the matrix you will hear much more music than listening in stereo.  Unfortunately I can’t get Capital to release Sunflower or Surf’s Up with the matrix decoded. So all these years only a few fans have actually heard the playbacks as Carl and I made them. I did offer the matrix device and many fans bought the matrix to hear these albums.

At this point in my Comments I must say that your request, InAnOcean, and written commentary shows me that you are quite serious about this song, CCW. Being a past member of the Beach Boy organization there are some things I cannot do in a public forum.  But, if you contact me by way of a private message, I can work with you to bring to your attention some ways and means to enhance your listening experience of CCW beyond what you are now hearing. To contact me directly, click on my name and look for my email address in the profile. Send me your email address and I will contact you directly.  There is a compatibility issue between Windows 7 and the SmileySmile message board that prevents me from typing answers directly to my thread (Stephen W. Desper). I wrote this response in MSWORD and copied it one time to this thread. That’s about all I can do. Too bad the powers at SmileySmile can’t get the bugs out, otherwise I would post more.

Please note that other fans who may be reading this will find a copy of this post on my thread (The Stephen W. Desper Thread @ SmileySmile ). It is at this thread that I prefer to answer any questions that anyone may have, so if there are follow-up questions, post them to me on my thread, please.

Hope to hear from you InAnOcean, until then…

Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper   
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1105 on: November 22, 2011, 10:40:21 AM »

It is great to see you posting again, I hope the board bugs get addressed and fixed soon!

I had a question about Brian's use of 8-track tape machines, specifically one machine that he is shown working with in a piece of silent film. In this film, Brian is at Western studio 3 with Chuck Britz, Van Dyke Parks, and the Beach Boys. In another thread we were assuming the video was from either the Fall of 1966 or Winter 1967.

Here is the question: Do you recall ever seeing or working with this tape machine, and do you recall any of the history or dates associated with it? Was it Brian's personal machine? The assumption was that Brian worked at Columbia with the vocal tracks because they had 8 tracks available when other studios did not, yet here is a film of what looks like Brian mixing at Western while running 8 tracks. In the film you can see all 8 meters responding to whatever is on the reel. Obviously when you worked with Brian at the house they had another 8 track machine, but I'm curious how this one ended up either in Brian's possession or at Western earlier than we assumed.

Here are two still frames from the film:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1106 on: November 22, 2011, 12:54:20 PM »

Re: The Stephen Desper Thread « Reply #1105 on: Today at 09:40:21 AM »   

It is great to see you posting again, I hope the board bugs get addressed and fixed soon!

I had a question about Brian's use of 8-track tape machines, specifically one machine that he is shown working with in a piece of silent film. In this film, Brian is at Western studio 3 with Chuck Britz, Van Dyke Parks, and the Beach Boys. In another thread we were assuming the video was from either the Fall of 1966 or Winter 1967.

Here is the question: Do you recall ever seeing or working with this tape machine, and do you recall any of the history or dates associated with it? Was it Brian's personal machine? The assumption was that Brian worked at Columbia with the vocal tracks because they had 8 tracks available when other studios did not, yet here is a film of what looks like Brian mixing at Western while running 8 tracks. In the film you can see all 8 meters responding to whatever is on the reel. Obviously when you worked with Brian at the house they had another 8 track machine, but I'm curious how this one ended up either in Brian's possession or at Western earlier than we assumed.

COMMENT to guitarfool2002:

You ask if I ever worked with the machine in your photo.  The tape machine is made by Scully, the 280 series. Shown is a Scully, model 284-8 1” recorder. You can read about it at this link >>> http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Sonocraft_ASCO_Sound_Corp/Sonocraft_catalog_1967_chunks/Sonocraft_cat67_pp91-116.pdf
Scully and Ampex were the most popular tape machines around Hollywood at that time. Most independent studios had them as eight- and two-track versions. Union studios usually had Ampex and Studer machines. A few had the 3M tape machine. So the Scully shown in your pictures belonged to Western Recorders or was a rental. I have used this and other multi-track machines. The Scully had a bold sound with good bass. It usually worked, and broke very seldom – a good workhorse machine. Brian never actually owned a tape recorder. At this time Wally Hider studio had most of the (then new) 8-track and 16-track tape recorders. Wally made his money renting the machines to other studios, including Columbia and Western, when they wanted one. As multi-track began to be used by recording artists more often, the major studios did buy them … but at first, renting one was the practice. When it came time for me to rent a multi-track for the home studio, I wanted the 3M machine because it had less noise for ping-ponging and a greater dynamic range then any other machine. Here is a photo of the 3M isoloop transport used by Brian in his home studio >>> http://wallyheider.com/wordpress/2005/03/wally-heiders-first-3m-8-track/ If you read the history of Wally Heider in this article you will understand how this and other brands of multi-track recorders can be seen in the recording session photos of that period. Brian did not have any favorite tape machine. He did not get involved with equipment much. As long as the machine recorded and played with a faithful sound, he was OK with it. Certainly all the professional machines of that day did just that, so he used whatever was available.

Good Listening,
~Stephen W. Desper

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:26 PM »

Welcome back, Mr. Desper!

Enjoyed your dissertation about Cool, Cool, Water, one of my favorite Sunflower tracks! Sure would like to see you post more on this or other threads, and maybe let us know when your updated version of "Recording The Beach Boys" will come out.

By the way, I had the same issue you do concerning the "bugs" in the Smiley Smile board. I have Windows 7 too, and all I did was update my browser to Microsoft Exploder 9 and now I'm dancin' with the wolves. I understand that the Mozilla Firefox browser works well also.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1108 on: November 22, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »

Welcome back, Mr. Desper!

Enjoyed your dissertation about Cool, Cool, Water, one of my favorite Sunflower tracks! Sure would like to see you post more on this or other threads, and maybe let us know when your updated version of "Recording The Beach Boys" will come out.

By the way, I had the same issue you do concerning the "bugs" in the Smiley Smile board. I have Windows 7 too, and all I did was update my browser to Microsoft Exploder 9 and now I'm dancin' with the wolves. I understand that the Mozilla Firefox browser works well also.

COMMENT TO MIKE:

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I use IE8 because IE9 causes problems with other applications I'm using. However, thanks for the tip.

BTW, could you instruct me as to how to post photos from my "my photos" file into this thread.
Appreciate it.  ~swd
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 22, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »

I've asked Bgas to help you out with the posting of pictures, Steve. He does it here all the time.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
InAnOcean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: November 22, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »

Stephen W. Desper,

My goodness, my head practically spun completely around when I noticed you recently replied to my Cool Cool Water thread!  I've sent you a personal message expressing my extreme gratitude.  The personal message also includes my email address.  Your email address is marked as "hidden" in your profile, so I didn't have luck emailing you.  Hopefully the personal message will suffice!  It is so wonderful that you took the time to reply to my inquiries regarding Cool Cool Water and the Mike Douglas show.  It is a unfathomable privilege to read some memories coming from the mastermind engineer and musician who worked so closely with The Beach Boys during such an amazing time period.  Thank you so much!  I hope to hear from you via email!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 09:24:06 PM by InAnOcean » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1111 on: November 22, 2011, 09:31:41 PM »

Thank you for the reply! I was under the impression that Columbia's appeal to Brian was their 8-track facilities, but obviously there was a cottage industry in renting those "new" machines which Wally Heider took full advantage of. Smiley

I have posted this still frame before, but it's a decent shot of the tape machine mentioned in the reply:

The best way to post photos is to set up something on Photobucket. The storage is free, it is password protected, and you can set the account to "private" so only thephotos you want to share on a board like this will be available to view, and only on your terms. It's a great free service, one which I'd recommend. Then after uploading the photos, which you can do in bulk rather than one at a time, you can mouse over the "direct link", the URL is copied, then paste it into the img picture frame option on the board, and the photo will appear. It's the best option I've found.

I enjoy finding, scanning, and copying photos and discussing them here, I do it regularly on this board, and Photobucket has been the best way I've found to share them. I hope that helps, and thank again for the info on the tape machines!

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1112 on: January 04, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »

GENERAL COMMENT:  A Few Days Ago a fan wrote me a lovely letter in which they cited a post from the past that they had read and thought uplifting. I went back and found that post and thought it might still be applicable today, in fact I think it is even more approprate in today's troubled times.

Here is the post from six years ago . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

274   Smiley Smile Stuff / Ask The Honored Guests / Re: The Stephen Desper Thread  on: February 02, 2006, 06:30:14 PM 
Quote from: HeroesandVillains on January 30, 2006, 11:45:17 AM

Question from fan . . .

Mr Desper,

At times i'll have a lot of trouble with my self-confidence while recording a song. I do believe I have decent enough equipment to attain decent recordings so I can assume it's just my perceptions of the recording not being "as good" as it "could be". I'm wondering if you've ever been dissatisfied with any recordings you've done? Also were there ever a time when any Beach Boy, or the whole group together felt that something could've been recorded better, sung better, or played better?

I've read about Brian disliking his voice on "Let Him Run Wild", and he being ticked off about the chorus in "California Girls" sung slightly off beat, but i'm more interested in the days of which you spent with the group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENT:

Isn't that the driving force behind progress?  Our dissatisfaction with the present?  Of course who hasn't been displeased with their performance -- that is why there is a "backspace" key on your keyboard, a rewind key on your tape recorder, and an eraser at the end of your pencil.  We all strive to do better than we did the last time -- we push ourselves. Take one, Take two, Take three, Take four, Take five.  Who gets it on the first take?  Very few.  Then there is LIVE.  No rewind at a concert or for that matter in life.

Perhaps this is an occation to reprint something I wrote to someone else a time ago about this topic:

ANSWER FROM  THE ESSAY ARCHIVES:
Engineering and the Art of Life, by Stephen Desper

Comment to Bob Hanes & Mitchell -

Thank you for taking the time to send your kind words.

Upon further reflection, I'll tell you what works for me. Maybe it will give you a few more pointers.

I learned early on not to say no. If you think you might be able to do some task when asked, say YES. Opportunity only comes knocking as long as it is not turned away.

Several examples from my past. When a student in High School my coach, knowing me not to be much of an athlete, asked me if I could make the football field sound system better for Friday night school games. Now I had never actually installed a PA system before, but I knew about them, how they worked, and a few basics - so I said YES. I got to work in the school library doing research, went to the downtown library for more in-depth knowledge. I went on weekends and after school. I wrote (via a manual typewriter) to manufactures and got spec sheets and helpful tips or "how to do it yourself" material from certain manufactures. I assembled a parts list. I got some of my fellow nerds to help me with labor. I submitted a proposal to the coach and won approval to buy what I needed. We worked after school and installed everything - it worked great and pleased all concerned. Why? Because I said YES, dug in and applied myself. Remained Positive. Ask for help when I did not understand something. And, of course, had a wise teacher/coach.

When my parents built a house in Florida we wanted a Hi-Fi system in the house. I wanted to build a (then) new stereo system - not many of those were known at the time. They said YES and I said YES. They gave me a budget and I built all the components from kits - Heathkits and Dynaco Kits. Thus saving money to spend on better speakers. That was over 40 years ago, and that all-tube system is still working and sounding as good as anything today. Plays records, reel-to-reel tapes and I later added a CD player. Today the equipment is considered "vintage" and some components are fetching thousands of dollars. Again I wrote to manufactures and read lots of articles on Hi-Fi. I had to work hard to do it right but the investment in time paid off with many years of good music reproduction for our family.

When I entered the Army into a motion picture making unit of the Signal Corps, I chance came along for me to operate a movie sound recorder. I had never seen one in person; only in books. The Captain asked me if I could operate the unit and I said YES. During a smoke break I reviewed the manual. I, more or less, bulls--ted my way along, but I did make it work. For the next three years of duty I traveled around Europe making movies for Uncle Sam. I took advantage of the opportunity when it was presented.

While working as a lowly tape machine operator at MGM the opportunity came along one summer to help with a sound system for some group called The Beach Boys. I knew little about them or their music. I liked classical. I was about a far away from Surf Music as you could get. But I said YES. I bought some of their records and did a crash listening session one weekend. I found I liked the music. I went on tour. One day the opportunity came for me to mix a concert. I said YES. I had never done that before but I took advantage of the opportunity. Soon I was asked if I could design a half-million dollar touring system. I had never done anything like that since that simple system in High School. But I said YES. Again I researched and studied all I could find out about this area, found an equipment builder (Quad-Eight) who also, of all the ones I interviewed for the job was the only one that kept saying YES. They got the contract. One day Carl asked me if I thought I could handle a recording session. I said YES even though I had never run a mixing board before. When opportunity knocks like this, you best not say no or you will never get anywhere. With Carl's help I did OK. OK enough to be called again and again. I remember not knowing what the hell everyone meant by this term "ping-ponging." I was desperate to find out but afraid to ask such a basic question. Finally a few days later, I overheard some discussion and figured it out. Wow that was close, but I got the answer just in time. Things work out to those who believe.

More recently I needed a lot of capital to start a company to manufacture my invention. Big money. Someone said, lets borrow it from the public - let's go public on NASDAQ. I thought, me? A corporate executive? But I said OK and we did start the company and made money for us and for some investors. Like anything in the stock market some investors lose to the ones that make profit so there are always winners and losers, but many people in on the ground floor made millions of dollars - and the invention went on to be sell 40 million chips.

So first of all don't doubt yourself or your ability. A famous architect was once asked what was the most difficult part of designing a building. His response - getting the contract. So when the contract is presented, take it! If there is any change you believe you can pull it off - say YES. Expect hard work. Then do the hard work. This idea that you can excel to great heights in some profession without hard work is a Hollywood movie script. It only happens in your dreams. Life is hard.

Never stop learning. Don't become complacent. Technology, knowledge, and developments move along at an incredible pace. Keep up with your knowledge. Build on what you know with what you can know. As they say, the more you learn the more you find out you need to learn more. Therefore it is important to...

Follow your bliss. Get into a field of work that you enjoy. Otherwise you will spend all your life waiting to retire away from a job you hate. That's a stupid way to life your life, so whatever you like to do - do it. I did, and I know that if I ever had to "go to work" I'd rather die. My work has been like play all the time. Not because it's the entertainment business. The same principle holds true for any endeavor. Every profession, cooking, cleaning, medical, teaching, candlestick making - all have their experts, people on top of the situation.

Don't be afraid to ask for help and guidance. You will be surprise how willing people are to help. If you don't understand something, ask your fellow student, teacher, manager, fellow worker, or friends for help. Humble yourself. Be proud of work but not boisterous. Always respect the other fellow's point of view - even if you don't understand or agree. On the other side of the coin, always help when asked. It is most rewarding. Remember we are all in this thing we call "life" together. Most of us are just keeping our heads above the water.

Therefore, be kind to people. You never know how many problems the next guy may be dealing with. A few kind words will go a long way to ease the other person's load. Smile at people and smile back at those who smile. Don't be too quick to admonish or criticize. Be gentle if you need to correct.

If you are wronged, forgive and forget. Holding grudges gets you nowhere.

And above all, express gratitude. Be thankful for what you have and express that gratitude to God in prayer, to your teachers, to your parents, to your friends, and to yourself. Keep a constant mental vigil that you do not become victim to excessive complaining or envy of the other person's possessions or position. Be grateful for what you have. As the truism says, I once complained because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no legs. Try to see as many God-like qualities in all those you meet and in the things you create as you can.

It has worked for me. Hope this helps, ~Stephen W. Desper

DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1113 on: January 05, 2012, 08:12:35 PM »

Thank you very much for your inspiring words!

I remember reading it a long time ago and this is a very good time for me to read it again ... I have actually applied it and found it to be very helpful.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: April 24, 2012, 11:45:57 PM »

Great post, Mr. Desper.  Wish I had had a Dad who bothered to be around more - someone who could have offered me this kind of advice as I was growing up.  Your views on gratitude, kindness and empathy are right on.

Like everyone here, music is one of my greatest thrills, and creating it is my bliss.  Your advice to say 'yes' has really hit home, as I cannot deny that while I've spent years honing my songcraft, I'm guilty of allowing fears to keep me from taking advantage of opportunities.  Writing and recording (for the sake of the act, more than anything, I suppose) are my joys, and I tend to shy away from public performance at times.  As far as forging a career out of it, making contacts, self-promotion and the hustle are things I'm just not enough of an extrovert to pull off, I guess.  Still, I wish I had been more willing to say 'yes' when I was younger.  Maybe I could have gotten the word out and brought a little enjoyment to folks.  Now, at 36, I just feel so old sometimes.

Okay, I'm rambling now, but my point is that you've given me things to think about.  As a new father myself, I have the grand chance to pass on what I've learned to my little girl, and your post has left me inspired.  More than anything, I just wanted to say thanks.

By the way, I'm looking forward to trying Stephen Desper's virtual band exercise soon. Smiley
Robert
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1115 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:09 PM »

I wanted to wish a Happy Birthday to Stephen Desper, who has generously shared a lot of recording knowledge and great information through the years, and whose work has influenced many fans and musicians and will continue to do so. And special thanks for introducing the ELTRO into the Beach Boys legend, so future listeners will get the right answer when they hear Smiley Smile the first time and ask "How did they get that sound on She's Goin Bald?"  Smiley

king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 24, 2012, 04:25:14 AM »

Hi Mr Desper,

A few questions:

1) That 70s sound; Warm, muffled yet not dull, stereoscopic etc... Is that something deliberate that artists and engineers strived for or was it more a result of the period's technology.

2) How to create a similar sound with the following setup:

Large, low ceiling, cluttered victorian warehouse brick room
8 channel computer soundcard
Mainly SM57 and 58 mics
Plenty of "vintage" plug-in synths
Jazz drum kit
Vox amps

3) Did the Beach Boys take drugs in Brian's home studio?

Thanks!

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: August 05, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »

Stephen, did you work with Carl 1981 mastering that great 2 LP collection. The sound on there was fantastic. I know your were there for KTSA (have the interview with Bruce Johnston at Kendun Studios where he mentions you are in the next room mastering Keepin The Summer Alive). Just wondering if you worked on TYOH.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1118 on: August 10, 2012, 07:55:44 AM »

Hi Mr Desper,

A few questions:

1) That 70s sound; Warm, muffled yet not dull, stereoscopic etc... Is that something deliberate that artists and engineers strived for or was it more a result of the period's technology.

2) How to create a similar sound with the following setup:

Large, low ceiling, cluttered victorian warehouse brick room
8 channel computer soundcard
Mainly SM57 and 58 mics
Plenty of "vintage" plug-in synths
Jazz drum kit
Vox amps

3) Did the Beach Boys take drugs in Brian's home studio?

Thanks!

COMMENT:  70's sound mostly due to vacuum tubes and analog circuit topology, IMO.  ~swd
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: August 13, 2012, 02:16:11 PM »

Dear Mr. Desper,

I was recently thinking of your comments on Murry (being a freight train going through a public library, the perfect analogy!). But my question is, when and where were your experiences with the man himself: Murry Wilson? I know your experiences with the group was more in the late 60s to mid 70s and I think the KTSA album (if I'm leaving something out, I apologize). So was it during the Breakaway sessions? Or the vocal sessions for Be Here in the Morning when he did the bass vocal? Just wondering, I'd love any information you can shed light on for what was going on musically at the time as well when he was present.

Thanks,

Justin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1120 on: August 13, 2012, 05:13:19 PM »

Dear Mr. Desper,

I was recently thinking of your comments on Murry (being a freight train going through a public library, the perfect analogy!). But my question is, when and where were your experiences with the man himself: Murry Wilson? I know your experiences with the group was more in the late 60s to mid 70s and I think the KTSA album (if I'm leaving something out, I apologize). So was it during the Breakaway sessions? Or the vocal sessions for Be Here in the Morning when he did the bass vocal? Just wondering, I'd love any information you can shed light on for what was going on musically at the time as well when he was present.

Thanks,

Justin

COMMENT:  The man himself?  I have no idea. I spent all of six hours with him in total. For an analysis of the man himself, I would look to the general consensus for my answer. I think Breakaway was one of the many songs in production when Murry came around.   ~swd
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1121 on: August 13, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »

COMMENT:

====================================================================================
====================================================================================

Announcement  &  Guidelines for Use

With help from Will C. Music Productions I am proud to announce the first of many study-videos that will explore the sound production techniques I used in the making of Beach Boy and other artists’ music. These studies also include examples of my favorite mastering techniques applied to finished works. I believe you will find they clarify the music and expand the presentation in the stereo panorama. However, this "privilege of study" can cease to be, if abused. 

The study-videos provided under password covenant involve the use of copyrighted material. Copyright “Fair Use” rules and regulations allow for study and examination of copyrighted material provided that certain requirements are met. Navigating the Fair Use regulations is a slippery slope and open to much interpretation, depending on each particular situation.

Openly posted copies of copyrighted works proliferate the Internet today. In most cases these postings remain unchallenged by the copyright holder, and thus seem to be setting a broader precedence for tolerance. However, I caution you to be vigilant. The studies I am providing are not for use by the general public and are not openly posted nor should be openly posted. I have placed all these studies behind a password and non-descriptive web-address for a reason. Please respect my request that anything protected behind a password remain within and must be confined to this study. They are not be copied or posted elsewhere, such as Youtube.com, or to become the subject of a bootleg copy. To do otherwise is to tempt and/or “push” the Fair Use doctrine to a point that may not be tolerable or allowed by the copyright holder, resulting in the forced removal of the study(s).

I’m sorry to be so restrictive in my requests, but posting comments is one thing. Posting the actual music is another – even if used in a study format. All of these studies are available by privilege. Let us all respect that privilege and not violate the opportunity granted us for study by abusing the rules.

This message board is where I post. It is not connected with these study-videos.

These studies are provided for use by the dedicated and interested Beach Boy fan. Please feel free to share the study-site with fellow interested fans. But if you share, please caution those with whom you share of the restrictions that must be followed under this privilege.  Any copy of music or commentary should (1) be for personal use only, (2) not be for monetary gain, and (3) be in addition to purchased copies of the same material, i.e., not be used in place of the original purchasing of the musical product from a retail or Internet store.

All of the provided studies are designed to be reproduced over any stereo system, from small to large. I would encourage you to connect your computer to a good set of speakers or to your stereo system (via the headphone or output jack) for a complete realization of the music-subject explored in each study. I master for good sound. Connect your computer to the best sound you can. The listening rewards are enormous.

Required passwords can be seen by clicking on my name, then look under Website.

Please post all comments and/or discussions back onto this thread.   

Thank you and Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper

First Study Link >>> http://vimeo.com/willcmusicproductions/w583rthv42tr808ccw

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: August 13, 2012, 09:25:42 PM »

COMMENT:

Announcement  &  Guidelines for Use

With help from Will C. Music Productions I am proud to announce the first of many study-videos that will explore the sound production techniques I used in the making of Beach Boy and other artists’ music. These studies also include examples of my favorite mastering techniques applied to finished works. I believe you will find they clarify the music and expand the presentation in the stereo panorama. However, this "privilege of study" can cease to be, if abused. 

The study-videos provided under password covenant involve the use of copyrighted material. Copyright “Fair Use” rules and regulations allow for study and examination of copyrighted material provided that certain requirements are met. Navigating the Fair Use regulations is a slippery slope and open to much interpretation, depending on each particular situation.

Openly posted copies of copyrighted works proliferate the Internet today. In most cases these postings remain unchallenged by the copyright holder, and thus seem to be setting a broader precedence for tolerance. However, I caution you to be vigilant. The studies I am providing are not for use by the general public and are not openly posted nor should be openly posted. I have placed all these studies behind a password and non-descriptive web-address for a reason. Please respect my request that anything protected behind a password remain within and must be confined to this study. They are not be copied or posted elsewhere, such as Youtube.com, or to become the subject of a bootleg copy. To do otherwise is to tempt and/or “push” the Fair Use doctrine to a point that may not be tolerable or allowed by the copyright holder, resulting in the forced removal of the study(s).

I’m sorry to be so restrictive in my requests, but posting comments is one thing. Posting the actual music is another – even if used in a study format. All of these studies are available by privilege. Let us all respect that privilege and not violate the opportunity granted us for study by abusing the rules.

This message board is where I post. It is not connected with these study-videos.

These studies are provided for use by the dedicated and interested Beach Boy fan. Please feel free to share the study-site with fellow interested fans. But if you share, please caution those with whom you share of the restrictions that must be followed under this privilege.  Any copy of music or commentary should (1) be for personal use only, (2) not be for monetary gain, and (3) be in addition to purchased copies of the same material, i.e., not be used in place of the original purchasing of the musical product from a retail or Internet store.

All of the provided studies are designed to be reproduced over any stereo system, from small to large. I would encourage you to connect your computer to a good set of speakers or to your stereo system (via the headphone or output jack) for a complete realization of the music-subject explored in each study. I master for good sound. Connect your computer to the best sound you can. The listening rewards are enormous.

Required passwords can be seen by clicking on my name, then look under Website.

Please post all comments and/or discussions back onto this thread.   

Thank you and Good Listening,
  ~Stephen W. Desper

First Study Link >>> http://vimeo.com/willcmusicproductions/w583rthv42tr808ccw

Mr. Desper,
That was one of the most satisfying listening experiences I've ever had! You really touch the nerd nerve in me. Really great insight...Too much to take in in one listen...
Thanks so much for everything!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1123 on: August 13, 2012, 10:14:28 PM »

This calls for a little more coffee! Thank you so much, I'm about to dig in -- and what a great one to start off with!

"the first of many"

!!!!!!

Incredible to hear that amazing "cooling, cooling me" bit with Brian and Carl! Gorgeous stereo panorama! When you put it back in, I think I started levitating.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:32:54 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: August 14, 2012, 04:39:48 AM »

Thud

Incredible.  What an amazing treat and privilege to experience this presentation.  It's like taking a quick visit to Prospero's Island (the weekend before the big storm).

Thanks again, Mr Desper and Will C - looking forward to the next study.

Al
(NAD 7020e, Paradigm Atom Monitor v6)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx