gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:05:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "SMiLE: June '67" - My SMiLE mix...come take a look and a listen  (Read 3253 times)
TheCanterburySound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:19:31 PM »

Imagine that SMiLE was released on Tuesday, June 27th, 1967 by Capitol Records and Brother Records...it may have gone a little something like this...

Side One (17:28)

Heroes And Villains (4:18)

I’m In Great Shape (2:09)

Do You Like Worms (3:31)

The Old Master Painter (1:56)

Wonderful (2:05)

Cabin Essence (3:30)

Side Two (19:42)

Good Vibrations (3:44)

Vega-Tables (3:31)

Wind Chimes (2:33)

The Elements (3:48)

Child Is Father Of The Man (2:23)

Surf’s Up (3:44)

Total Time: 37:10

Mixed in mono, as Brian Wilson and Chuck Britz would’ve done themselves
No cross-fading was used in any of the edits in this mix either (except in unavoidable one spot...hardly noticiable though), only hard edits
“SMiLE: June ‘67” was made by myself, with some assistance from other fan mixes, notably “Smile A.D. 2.0”, “Purple Chick Presents: The Beach Boys Smile”, and Bruiteur’s mix of ‘Barnyard’
Absolutely nothing from BWPS was used in this mix.  The only post-June 27th, 1967 material that was used in this mix were the lead vocals and 'Truck Drivin' Man" portion from Cabin Essence, 'Fall Breaks And Back To Winter' vocals for the Fire portion of The Elements, and the 'Bygone, bygone' lines from Surf's Up (eventually I'll make an upgraded mix of this song without those lines)
For me, this is the definitive SMiLE mix.  I'm done making SMiLE mixes after this one (I think)
Many of the edits and mixes in this mix are quite unique, and the sound quality has been upgraded in quite a few places.  I'm especially proud of what I've done with Heroes And Villains, I'm In Great Shape, and The Elements.  There's quite a few cool surprises as well, but I'll let you unwrap them by listening to the mix Wink
Also included is upgraded back cover art, with Capitol Records' monophonic recording disclaimer at the bottom

Look, Listen, Vibrate, and Smile!  (and tell me what you think of this mix too)

DOWNLOAD LINKS

MP3 (320 kbps): http://www.filesonic.com/file/Gj0AhwX/SMiLE-June_'67_(MP3).zip

WAV: http://www.filesonic.com/file/BXmOnnC/SMiLE-June_'67_(WAV).zip

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:33:24 AM by TheCanterburySound » Logged
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »

Dl'ing now!  Neat!  :D

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:10:28 PM »

I listened, very nice work. The absence of key lead vocals is still keenly felt, continually reminding me there was no, and will never be, a true Smile album. Still, you came as close as could be expected towards making a listenable "purist" AKA unfinished Smile.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:26:38 PM »

This sort of thing is very dear to my heart, because I've been thinking a lot about making something like this, and you have a tracklist very close to what I'm thinking...  I'm hesitant to make one though because I love my own mix so much, I don't really want an "update" to it...  I left in anachronistic elements because I thought it sounded great, what I would sorely miss without them.  So I am glad you've done this.  

So some thoughts...
- I like how Our Prayers and H&V are one track.
- I didn't really like your H&V, wouldn't it be the Cantina version, if we're talking about authenticity?  
- Interesting I'm In Great Shape...  I like the inclusion of Swedish Frog, and I love how Barnyard goes so smoothly into H&F Fade remake.  VERY impressed!  I would still have IWBA/Workshop somehow, but that's just me...  
- Great Vege-Tables, I think it's very similar to the one I did.   LOL
- Excellent Wind Chimes, without the reprised "heavy part"
-No Fire Intro...  Interesting because I was actually just going to make a thread about that (maybe I still should).  I know that it began life as a random H&V intro, but how did it end up being considered a Fire intro instead?  Was that a misappropriation that everyone (myself included, as well as Darian and eventually Linnett/Boyd) kept following?  Or was it in fact relocated by BW at some point?
- Interesting choice to put Child so at the end... is that to musically and thematically link it to Surf's Up coda?  
- WHAT NO SURF"S UP CODA?!?!!  Shocked

Sorry so much criticism, it's just that this was something dear to my heart, as I had said, but I just couldn't compel myself to do... 

TheCanterburySound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »

This sort of thing is very dear to my heart, because I've been thinking a lot about making something like this, and you have a tracklist very close to what I'm thinking...  I'm hesitant to make one though because I love my own mix so much, I don't really want an "update" to it...  I left in anachronistic elements because I thought it sounded great, what I would sorely miss without them.  So I am glad you've done this.  

So some thoughts...
- I like how Our Prayers and H&V are one track.
- I didn't really like your H&V, wouldn't it be the Cantina version, if we're talking about authenticity?  
- Interesting I'm In Great Shape...  I like the inclusion of Swedish Frog, and I love how Barnyard goes so smoothly into H&F Fade remake.  VERY impressed!  I would still have IWBA/Workshop somehow, but that's just me...  
- Great Vege-Tables, I think it's very similar to the one I did.   LOL
- Excellent Wind Chimes, without the reprised "heavy part"
-No Fire Intro...  Interesting because I was actually just going to make a thread about that (maybe I still should).  I know that it began life as a random H&V intro, but how did it end up being considered a Fire intro instead?  Was that a misappropriation that everyone (myself included, as well as Darian and eventually Linnett/Boyd) kept following?  Or was it in fact relocated by BW at some point?
- Interesting choice to put Child so at the end... is that to musically and thematically link it to Surf's Up coda?  
- WHAT NO SURF"S UP CODA?!?!!  Shocked

Sorry so much criticism, it's just that this was something dear to my heart, as I had said, but I just couldn't compel myself to do... 

Thanks for your thoughts.  Heroes And Villains I edited together to model it after the Cantina version, but I used the verses and 'Children Were Raised' portions from the Smiley Smile/Single version because they sounded a lot better then the Cantina version.  Consistency in sound quality was one of my main goals in this mix.  The only thing that I changed from making an exact model of the Cantina version is that instead of finishing it with 'False Barnyard', I finished it with the 'Prelude To Fade', because 1. False Barnyard was already being used in The Old Master Painter, and 2. 'Prelude To Fade' is my favorite piece of SMiLE music...I just had to put it in there.  And I see what you mean regarding using the Cantina version itself for authenticity, but at the same time...look how much Brian worked on Heroes And Villains AFTER the Cantina version was made.  It's clear he wasn't done. 

Thank you for your compliment on I'm In Great Shape, that was one piece of this mix I was most proud of.  The Swedish Frog portion in the beginning always reminded me of moaning and groaning waking up sounds (partially inspired by Mok's Smile mix), so I felt it deserved a place there.

The Fire intro was never definitively part of Fire itself - it was tacked on to the beginning of Fire in the mid-80's I believe by Linnett for his 1988 SMiLE compilation (correct me if I'm wrong) simply because it sounded good...there's no historical evidence supporting that it was supposed to be part of Fire.  The main reason I took it off was because I wanted to cut the time down as much as I could...to be honest, the intro isn't completely necessary in my opinion.

I put Child Is Father Of The Man close together with Surf's Up for the reason you described - musically and thematically linked.  However, the reason there's no Surf's Up coda...it was recorded in 1971.  It just crosses the line a little too far with me over being inauthentic because it's such a big portion to use post-1967.  I know, I'm wired a little weird  Razz
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »

Haha , makes sense to me!

Well, not sure if you read it, but a few months ago there was a thread with a pretty good debate, and someone here (hypehat maybe?) presented some interesting insight that I took to heart...  That after the Cantina mix was made, the ONLY progress made was just the sections we know as H&V pt 2 and Prelude To Fade, suggesting that he was specifically recording pieces for the single's b-side.  Made great sense to me, so much that I tagged it onto my H&V2 mix, and it's like a big finale.  But to each his own. 

Interesting about Fire...  I hope some more people can pipe in about it, maybe I will start up[ a separate thread to initiate a dialog... 

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »

I stopped bothering at the word "definitive", for obvious reasons.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
TheCanterburySound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 06:27:56 AM »

Well, all I said was this mix was definitive for me, probably not for everyone else  Cool
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »

Thank you for sharing YOUR Cheesy definitive Smile with the rest of us, Mr. TheCanterburySound.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 03:05:59 AM »

Well, all I said was this mix was definitive for me, probably not for everyone else  Cool

I got that, thanks will give it a listen soon!
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:06 PM »

Great idea - would love to hear it, but filesonic no longer allows sharing.

Any chance of a re-up?

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 10:16:01 PM by thetojo » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 07:29:47 AM »

That's true, no SMiLE mix that ends with Surf's Up instead of Good Vibrations is definitive for me. Wink 2 Starting side 2 with GV is sooooo Smiley! Grin

Personally, I have no less than three definitive mixes. Cheesy

Unfortunately I wasn't able to listen to your individual song mixes either, as I couldn't access your link.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:38:45 AM »

Funny, I would have thought the 'for me' would give you every reason to continue. Unless of course you're predisposed to ignoring fan mixes and are looking for any ex...

Oh.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx