gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681510 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 03:08:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Bambu all that great??  (Read 17394 times)
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 09:20:37 AM »

I think the Bambu disk suffers from bad sequencing. Too many slow songs in quick succession. Try changing the track order, slow song / fast song. The material is there, but not presented in the best order, to me anyway.

Don't know if it'll be helpful, but I rearrange the order a couple years ago, along with some extras:

"Under The Moonlight"
"Its Not Too Late"
"Constant Companion"
"School Girl"
"Wild Situation"
"Baby Blue"
"Love Remember Me"
"Love Surrounds Me"
"Tug Of Love"
"Mexico"
"Ten Thousand Years"
"Holy Man (feat. Taylor Hawkins)"
"Are You Real"
"Only With You"
"He's Bum"
"Time For Bed"
"I Love You"
"Cocktails"
"Album Tag Song"
"Sound Of Free"
"All Alone"
"Lady"

The only song I can say I'm not crazy about is "Under The Moonlight." To me it just doesn't feel very "Dennis." And the only complaint I have with the re-issue is the editing done to "Wild Situation," because I love the "shock" ending on the original! Wink

And funny story, at the time I bought this, I had never heard of Foo Fighters, just a couple years later, they'd become one of my favorite bands. Although, having heard their cover of "Have A Cigar," I have no idea how Taylor pulled off such a Dennis vocal here.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »

Bambu (for decades known as "Bamboo") is great, even in its unfinished form. As good or better than Pacific Ocean Blue? Nah. But it remains unfinished, so who's to tell? Very hard to beat POB though.

The bonus tracks on the POB Legacy Edition are nice. "Tug Of Love", left off the original POB and rumored to be in the vault for years, met my expectations and I wasn't disappointed. This version of "Only With You" exceeded my expectations. "Holy Man" is a great song and I wish Dennis could have done the vocal to it - it's bordering on sacrilege that another artist did the vocal, but it was very well done and better than no vocal at all! I think Dennis would have loved it.    

There are definitely some high points in Bambu. Many that I'd heard before on various boots since the mid-80's, but in MUCH better quality and much better mixes with this release. Plus many tracks that weren't booted before. I thought they did an outstanding job on what they had available. My favorite track on Bambu? "Wild Situation". I'd heard the song before in various forms of completion, but the final mix is great!  The only thing missing is the original ending of the song. THAT disappointed me!  Grin

Guys like Mark Linett, Alan Boyd, John Hanlon, Gregg Jakobson, Jon Stebbins, and David Beard should be commended for a job well done on this. And especially Jim Guercio for authorizing it in the first place.

Someday I'd really like to hear a remixed version of the Pacific Ocean Blue album. What Moffitt and Mankey did at the time was OK with the tools they had, but there are many instances of instruments and great vocal things that I've heard could be brought out in a better mix with much less mud and hiss on the tracks.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:12:44 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 09:45:16 AM »

I must admit Bambu doesn't do it for me like POB does. Only three or four songs seem to reach the same heights as his debut. Maybe if it had been completed, who knows? But I can listen to the unfinished Smile tracks and see how it had the potential to better Pet Sounds, but I just don't see it with what we have of Bambu.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
MBE
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2012, 09:57:05 AM »

"Moody Blue" wasn't really a downbeat album. Elvis had been talking of doing a half studio and half live thing for a few years. He didn't make it easy on his co-producer Felton Jarvis because he didn't introduce too many unrecorded songs in the 1977 shows, but the fall 1976 session was short but upbeat. He didn't do one song he planned to, but he would have had he liked the song enough. The early 1976 sessions were more tough and sad. "From Elvis Presley Blvd.", taken from those sessions, is a very personal and fairly depressing LP. Still as he did finish both these albums I'm not sure I see the same thing. He wasn't leaving the room coming back unable to work or anything. He didn't mess up takes by being high. There was a session in early 1977 that was cancelled, but though it was long thought that he didn't show up he actually did but hated the studio they booked. I learned this by helping to write an Elvis recording sessions book.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2012, 10:09:02 AM »

Mikie --

I'd throw Stebbins name in there -- he was in the trenches and the mixing sessions to boot.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2012, 10:11:46 AM »

Done.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »

I actually prefer a lot of Bambu over POB. POB is great, but sometimes I think there was too much production, too much overdubbing on some of the tracks. I don't know, too many layers, particularly on the ballads. Who knows, perhaps my opinion will change as I grow older.

Often the unfinished, spontaneous nature of Bambu brings out Dennis' rock & roll, wild side on tracks like School Girl, Wild Situation, and He's A Bum. I missed Dennis the rock & roller on POB.

I'm glad Dennis recorded several of Carli's songs.  I think Dennis was going for a more commercial sound on Bambu.  If that album had been released, I really feel it would have charted much higher than POB.  Plus, "Constant Companion," if released as a single, should have gotten airplay.  Put "Love Surrounds Me" as its B-side.  It's Not Too Late is a great song, too. Incomprehensible why it wasn't released on L.A. Light Album.

About Elvis, the Moody Blue album has always seemed largely upbeat to me.  Then again, He'll Have To Go, Unchained Melody, It's Easy For You, and She Thinks I Still Care offer a different story.  From Elvis Presley Boulevard, as Mike said above, is much more sad.  At least they included the underappreciated "For The Heart" on there.  I would encourage anyone to check out the 2001 Follow That Dream release (FTD) called THE JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS.  All of these songs are stripped of their overdubs, horrible string sections, and many of their backing vocals.  You'll gain a new appreciation of Elvis' artistry in his final year.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:00:47 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 12:08:33 PM »

I agree with the OP in that Bambu doesn't come close to POB. I think there are a number of reasons for that. Dennis's voice was obviously gone, some of Carli Munoz's material stands out like a sore thumb and there is a dated feel to a lot of it for me.

That is definitely one of my feelings about Bambu. Especially stuff like "Constant Companion" just reeks of cheesy '70s radio. There are a few other songs too that have that really '70s vibe, whereas I feel most of Pacific Ocean Blue has a timeless quality.

Also, I didn't speak on the bonus tracks for disc 1, but....wow. "Tug of Love" is great, just as good if not better than anything on Pacific Ocean Blue which is saying a lot. I also love his version of "Only With You", whereas I'm not so hot on The Beach Boys version. I feel his voice fits the song better than Carl's.

But what I think would really be awesome is an album collecting that best (and most finished) of his work from 1967 to 1974. I really think that era deserves to be fleshed out more so we can understand Dennis as an artist a bit more. I'd also love to hear whatever he did between 1980 and 1983. Especially his supposed last recording, "Labor Day".
PhilSpectre
Smiley Smile Associate

May You Never Hear Surf Music ... Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 12:40:33 PM »

About Elvis, the Moody Blue album has always seemed largely upbeat to me.  Then again, He'll Have To Go, Unchained Melody, It's Easy For You, and She Thinks I Still Care offer a different story.  From Elvis Presley Boulevard, as Mike said above, is much more sad.  At least they included the underappreciated "For The Heart" on there.  I would encourage anyone to check out the 2001 Follow That Dream release (FTD) called THE JUNGLE ROOM SESSIONS.  All of these songs are stripped of their overdubs, horrible string sections, and many of their backing vocals.  You'll gain a new appreciation of Elvis' artistry in his final year.

Very true. And if one listens to the BEST of Elvis' live performances in '76 and '77 (almost any version of Unchained Melody, How Great Thou Art, It's Now or Never, Little Sister etc) and not the uninspired stuff he was sick of singing, El was in magnificent voice. It makes me wonder how great he'd have been then had he kicked the whole prescription drugs crap in the early '70s. Late period Freddie Mercury aside, I've never heard a seriously ill man sing so good.  Sad
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »

The only song I can say I'm not crazy about is "Under The Moonlight." To me it just doesn't feel very "Dennis."

How do you feel about What's Wrong? It sounds to me like Under the Moonlight, Part One.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »

I think the sequencing of Bambu is a relevant thing to consider. Some of us lobbied to have Tug Of Love be the lead track on the Bambu disc instead of a bonus. That song would have undoubtedly been on a released Bambu, as it was a hair from being on POB. Add that, Baby Blue, and peel a weaker tune or two from the Bambu disc and you've got a great record. Its different, darker, and yes more '70's "rock" sounding than POB, which I prefer. But I think Dennis was trying to evolve with Bambu, and he was doing it with a monkey on his back. I think Love Remember Me, and C0cktails are among his best things. Listen to the track of C0cktails...its a '70's Pet Sounds track. Album Tag Song is a '70's Smile track. And the fact that anything began life during POB sessions or earlier is irrelevant as Dennis, like Brian was always recycling ideas and using bits of older things...Only With You is just another one.  To me the least palatable song on the Bambu disc is All Alone which to me reeks of the worst things about what was coming in the Adult Contemporary world, I just hate that tenor sax sound, and the overall production of All Alone is very un-Dennis if you ask me. Bambu is kind of messy, and sad...but the best of it meets the DW standard of greatness.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2012, 02:43:45 PM »

I really do like "All Alone", it's got a dramatic feel to it and it sounds like a Surivivor song but I still dig it, though the sax really is annoying at points. I can't really say which album I prefer, I am just happy that I discovered such beautiful music, even though I needed a few listen to get into it and enjoy it that much.

Besides not finishing "Bambu", I think it's really sad that Dennis didn't tour for POB. Maybe then there would have been a better commercial success, which would have led to more Dennis Wilson albums or even better Beach Boys records.

BTW Did Dennis consider "Baby Blue" for Bambu or was it specifically written for LA, thus not beeing on the deluxe POB?

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »

I think Bambu is utterly and terrifyingly brilliant! If it had been released, I imagine it might have gone down in history as one of rock's great tortured/wrecked epics ala Big Star's 3rd, or John Cale's Helen Of Troy,  or R&L Thompson's Shoot Out The Lights, etc
Funny you should ention Big Star 3rd as I was going to compare the ramshackle quality of Bambu to Alex Chilton's Like Flies on Sherbert. The other post mentioning Gene Clarke's No Other has me racing to the cd player to put on that astounding album! The wrecked masterpiece criteria probably applies to Neil Young's Tonights the Night and John Cale's Music for a New Society. For me Bambu is probably not quite up there with these albums but it is a great album which I play frequently and shows that Dennis had so much more to offer. I particularly love that it is so different from POB.  
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2012, 03:02:35 PM »

Yeah, that Gene Clarke album is amazing, and yes, Tonight's The Night might just be THE tortured/wrecked epic of all-time!

One thing I particularly love about Bambu, is that, while yes Dennis' voice is in rougher shape, he's emoting a bit more and reaching in range more than on POB. Songs like All-Alone I love because of the sheer emotional intensity Dennis brings.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:36:28 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »

I greatly prefer Bambu. Under the Moonlight, Love Surrounds Me, Wild Situation, Constant Companion, and Holy Man are all great great great great songs. The only two songs on POB I like as much as any of those are Pacific Ocean Blues and River Song.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2012, 03:09:29 PM »

I think Under The Moonlight is absolutely one of Dennis' best vocals!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2012, 03:54:35 PM »

I like the version of Under the Moonlight that is on Dumb Angel rarities much better than the Bambu version...also the KICK A$$ percussion jam that opens up Companion is missing on Bambu...

Other than that, it is beyond amazing. Too bad Dennis was not able to develop his talent to the fullest. So sad...

Carl's voice on Bambu is also unreal...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2012, 04:18:01 PM »

Carl's voice on Bambu is also unreal...

I forgot about It's Not Too Late... that's a great song. Carl's voice is amazing on that one.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »

I think the sequencing of Bambu is a relevant thing to consider. Some of us lobbied to have Tug Of Love be the lead track on the Bambu disc instead of a bonus. That song would have undoubtedly been on a released Bambu, as it was a hair from being on POB. Add that, Baby Blue, and peel a weaker tune or two from the Bambu disc and you've got a great record. Its different, darker, and yes more '70's "rock" sounding than POB, which I prefer. But I think Dennis was trying to evolve with Bambu, and he was doing it with a monkey on his back. I think Love Remember Me, and C0cktails are among his best things. Listen to the track of C0cktails...its a '70's Pet Sounds track. Album Tag Song is a '70's Smile track. And the fact that anything began life during POB sessions or earlier is irrelevant as Dennis, like Brian was always recycling ideas and using bits of older things...Only With You is just another one.  To me the least palatable song on the Bambu disc is All Alone which to me reeks of the worst things about what was coming in the Adult Contemporary world, I just hate that tenor sax sound, and the overall production of All Alone is very un-Dennis if you ask me. Bambu is kind of messy, and sad...but the best of it meets the DW standard of greatness.

I was hoping to get your opinion, Jon, and I gotta say I really agree with you on much of that. You kinda hit the nail on the head about "All Alone" being super schlock that woulda fit in on the same radio stations that would be playing "Kokomo" and the new Journey record. Also, I'm not asking for it, but is the second version of "All Alone" circulating? And how is it compared to the version we have?

But anyways Mr. Stebbins, can you explain how the process of placing the tracks on the reissued Pacific Ocean Blue? For instance, why were "Tug of Love" and "Only With You" considered bonus tracks for POB, if, as you claim, they should have been part of the Bambu listing. And I'm not doubting you, but why is it you think "Tug of Love" would have been on Bambu, if it was passed over for POB?

Also, does anybody in the know think it is at all possible that Brother/Capitol/whoever would possibly release a Dennis solo album from his late '60s and early '70s material? Or does that all count as "Beach Boys" material? Well regardless, hopefully this 50th anniversary gets us some new, unreleased Dennis songs!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »

I like the Bambu cuts way more than POB.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 07:58:48 PM »

I was hoping to get your opinion, Jon, and I gotta say I really agree with you on much of that. You kinda hit the nail on the head about "All Alone" being super schlock that woulda fit in on the same radio stations that would be playing "Kokomo" and the new Journey record. Also, I'm not asking for it, but is the second version of "All Alone" circulating? And how is it compared to the version we have?

But anyways Mr. Stebbins, can you explain how the process of placing the tracks on the reissued Pacific Ocean Blue? For instance, why were "Tug of Love" and "Only With You" considered bonus tracks for POB, if, as you claim, they should have been part of the Bambu listing. And I'm not doubting you, but why is it you think "Tug of Love" would have been on Bambu, if it was passed over for POB?

Also, does anybody in the know think it is at all possible that Brother/Capitol/whoever would possibly release a Dennis solo album from his late '60s and early '70s material? Or does that all count as "Beach Boys" material? Well regardless, hopefully this 50th anniversary gets us some new, unreleased Dennis songs!
The second version of All Alone does circulate, but I'm not a fan of that one either. The process of sequencing and picking POB bonus tracks vs "Bambu" tracks was a bit of a mini-battle, Hanlon submitted his choices, Guercio of course weighed in, Jakobson too...everybody including me had an opinion...but Sony kind of pushed through their preferences at the end. We were thrilled to get so much unreleased and unbooted material on there either way...and figured the fans could do their own sequencing. I think Tug Of Love would have been a Bambu track cause they needed finished stuff...and Guercio really liked that one...Dennis had only dropped it from POB because Pop Hinsche passed away and Dennis wrote and recorded Farewell My Friend as a tribute...something had to go from POB to make room for that. Tug Of Love would have made a nice bridge from the POB sound to the starker Bambu sound, with Love Remember Me also helping that transition. Remember, there was supposed to be a third album (he signed a three album deal) so DW was just recording boom, boom, boom, until he went off the rails. Some of what we know as "Bambu" could have been pushed to the third album. There's more unreleased stuff...unbooted stuff...some of it is GREAT.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2012, 10:08:05 PM »

The second version of All Alone does circulate, but I'm not a fan of that one either. The process of sequencing and picking POB bonus tracks vs "Bambu" tracks was a bit of a mini-battle, Hanlon submitted his choices, Guercio of course weighed in, Jakobson too...everybody including me had an opinion...but Sony kind of pushed through their preferences at the end. We were thrilled to get so much unreleased and unbooted material on there either way...and figured the fans could do their own sequencing. I think Tug Of Love would have been a Bambu track cause they needed finished stuff...and Guercio really liked that one...Dennis had only dropped it from POB because Pop Hinsche passed away and Dennis wrote and recorded Farewell My Friend as a tribute...something had to go from POB to make room for that. Tug Of Love would have made a nice bridge from the POB sound to the starker Bambu sound, with Love Remember Me also helping that transition. Remember, there was supposed to be a third album (he signed a three album deal) so DW was just recording boom, boom, boom, until he went off the rails. Some of what we know as "Bambu" could have been pushed to the third album. There's more unreleased stuff...unbooted stuff...some of it is GREAT.
Would you be allowed to elaborate on what else may or may not be in the vaults and as of now still unheard?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »

Another beautiful moment on Bambu is in the song "Love Remember Me". At 1:43 into the song. This piece of it was making the rounds separately before the Legacy release, and it sounds like it may have been spliced in. Was it Dennis' intention to integrate this part into the song or was it edited in for this release? It sounds great - sounds like women singing on that - I figure Karen Lamm and/or Tricia Roach? Sounds full like a choir!

Love comes tumblin' down on you
My love comes driftin' down on you
Oh, come on, come on, hello, come on
My love comes gently down on you

Sounds beautiful!  

And while I'm here (can't resist!) and not Bamboo related but it can be found on Dennis Wilson Rarities - Dumb Angel 14. For those who haven't heard it, seek it out. Quad Symphony. Supposedly as a favor to Steve Desper, Dennis allowed segments of several song fragments he had recorded in quadrophonic sound to be pressed onto an acetate for Desper to use to demonstrate quad sound. There's a piece of a song called "All My Love". I read somewhere that this contains 350 overdubs of Dennis’ voice. Just shows you what Dennis was capable of - I've always loved that and can imagine if it made it into a complete song.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:42:54 PM by Mikie » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2012, 10:43:12 PM »

Another beautiful moment on Bambu is in the song "Love Remember Me". At 1:43 into the song. This piece of it was making the rounds separately before the Legacy release, and it sounds like it may have been spliced in. Was it Dennis' intention to integrate this part into the song or was it edited in for this release? It sounds great - sounds like women singing on that - I figure Karen Lamm and/or Tricia Roach? Sounds full like a choir!

Love comes tumblin' down on you
My love comes driftin' down on you
Oh, come on, come on, hello, come on
My love comes gently down on you

Sounds beautiful!  

And while I'm here (can't resist!) and not Bamboo related but it can be found on Dennis Wilson Rarities - Dumb Angel 14. For those who haven't heard it, seek it out. Quad Symphony. Supposedly as a favor to Steve Desper, Dennis allowed segments of several song fragments he had recorded in quadrophonic sound to be pressed onto an acetate for Desper to use to demonstrate quad sound. There's a piece of a song called "All My Love". I read somewhere that this contains 350 overdubs of Dennis’ voice. Just shows you what Dennis was capable of - I've always loved that and can imagine if it made it into a complete song.

I would give my right arm to hear the complete "All My Love", if more of it exists. I have also heard about the supposed 350 vocal overdubs. Could you imagine how long that would take somebody to do?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:56 AM »

Honestly even though there is some late seventies cheese on a few of his cuts,  Dennis just had this gift of making everything he did in the studio have some sort of quality. I don't think he ever didn't try. I don't think he could do what he could in 1970 by say 1980 (or even 1975 if we count his voice) but all of his work (not counting the lesser shows from 1977-83 where he is in increasingly bad shape) has such integrity. Bambu does not represent a dip at all for me as music, obviously his life had declined but not his creativity which after 1978 does seem to have taken a backseat if not a decline, except again vocally as he really couldn't sing after Rocky and Stan beat him up on Superbowl Sunday 1981.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx