gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heroes and Villains that didn't make the boxset?  (Read 2790 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »

Love the boxset and the sessionography is terrific. Is there anything significant that didn't make the boxset?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jason
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:10:43 PM »

Other than actual Brian mixes and non-fly in Barnyard, all the bases appear to have been covered.
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 03:21:39 PM »

They didn't include for me the most fantastic Brian edit from the Smile sessions.  The edit was included in Sea of Tunes boot.  Namely, the Brian/Mike duet vocal of the 1st two verses followed by the barbershop vocals over the H&V backing track.  They did include an edit of the 3rd verse followed by the vocals/backing track. 
However, it is no where near the perfection of the unreleased piece.

Still can't believe they didn't include it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:57:44 PM »

They didn't include for me the most fantastic Brian edit from the Smile sessions.  The edit was included in Sea of Tunes boot.  Namely, the Brian/Mike duet vocal of the 1st two verses followed by the barbershop vocals over the H&V backing track.  They did include an edit of the 3rd verse followed by the vocals/backing track. 

Where is it? SOT Vol. 17, Disk 1, which track from 1-19?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »

The Brian/Mike duet vocal rocks! Rock!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

Here's a version of H&V that is beyond fantastic.  Throw in the 3rd verse, the chorus and false barnyard and you have the defintive Heroes and Villians.

Just listen to the 1st 1 1/2 that mirrors the cantina version.  Absolute perfection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgVxHVc2XZM

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 05:28:21 PM »

I've heard that 457 times.  What SOT track are you talking about that wasn't included in the new Smile box?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
AllIWannaDo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 05:30:42 PM »

massively intrigued, any info? would love to locate/hear this?
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »

massively intrigued, any info? would love to locate/hear this?

Let me dig out my SOT copies and figure out what he's talking about.
MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 06:54:39 PM »

The first minute of the youtube mix up to the cantina section is an orginal Brian mix which was on the Sea of Tunes boot.

I'll also dig up my copy to see exactly where it was.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 07:19:54 PM »

The first minute of the youtube mix up to the cantina section is an orginal Brian mix which was on the Sea of Tunes boot.

I'll also dig up my copy to see exactly where it was.

The mix you claim is missing, the first verse, that's on the box set under the title Heroes and Villains: Early Version Track 24 CD 4, is it not (among other sections as well)? Or am I missing something.  That mix (with that verse) is also on the GV box set.  On the Unsurpassed Masters boot the barbershop vocals/duet is tracks 4-7 (the takes).  The "mix" is track 15.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:26:31 PM by Zach95 » Logged

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:00:36 PM »

Yes a decent mix?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »

So..............are we saying that the version of Heroes & Villains (which can be heard on SOT 17, Disk 1, track 15) wasn't included in the SMiLE box?  And that version is included on previous legit releases?  Just want to be clear here.

MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 10:14:35 AM »

Yes and No.  I was wrong and went back to listen to it again.  It's track 14 on the Sea of Tunes boot.  This is indeed missing in the BB's vault.  The mixes go as follows:
A.  The Brian/Mike duet of the 1st two verses followed by a snippet of the H&V chorus.  Take is rewound into
B.  Mike singins the line "Bullets that eventually let her down" followed by the Brian/Mike duet of the 3rd verse of "At 3 score and five" followed be a snippet of the H&V chorus.  The tape is then rewound into a
C. A brief vocal only snippet of Brian/Mike singing "Of the Heroes and Villians" followed by the Hitsville comment. Leading into
D. The glorious barbershop vocals over the H&V backing track which Brian muted for the Cantina version.

Based on the Cantina mix, I believe the Barbershop vocals over the backing track would have followed immediately after the 2 verse leading into the Cantina section.  In the box, they are placed after the 3 score and five verse in the track 24 CD 4 H&V mix.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 03:33:54 PM »

Okay, so the MIX isn't on the box, but all of the parts in themselves are?

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 04:30:52 AM »

I remember a "version 4" of "Part 1 fade". Did I dream that or is it already there?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx