gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:40:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beau Brummels  (Read 5667 times)
Lester Zombie
« on: December 24, 2005, 09:46:52 AM »

I got the Rhino box set and haven't totally aborbed it yet, but I really like it so far. I'd like to see what other people think about it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 09:52:36 AM »

I have proved myself yet again to be uneducated in too many good things. I had heard the name Beau Brummels before, but never knew anything about them. In fact, the name struck me vaguely as probably some indie rock band of the modern era. I just looked them up and learned a few things about them, and listened to the samples of tracks on allmusic.com.

I guess I have some shopping to do. Sounds like pretty good (albeit dated) stuff.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 10:35:10 AM »

Absolutely essential ingredient in the formation of folk-rock in the mid-60s. Awesome, awesome group.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 11:27:30 AM »

Dated?! Not a bit.

"Bradley's Barn" is the best one. Seminal country-folk-rock-cosmic-coolness. But really, their entire output is more than worthy!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 11:28:46 AM »

Amazing band.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 11:28:51 AM »

I don't mean dated as an insult. But the samples I listened to -- at least those from the '67 album ("Are you Happy" was a song title, and there was one that has VDP on harpsichord, too) certainly are very instantly recognizable as of those times.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 11:57:19 AM »

Awesome band. Haven't got the box yet--I suppose I'd better.

Bradley's Barn is awesome, but don't overlook Triangle, which in some ways is kind of a bastard cousin of Smile--all baroque orchestration and lysergic Americana.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 01:20:04 PM »

That entire set revolves around the track 'Glass!" The other BB's are awesome, but this track blew me away!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx