gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:31:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock & Other Four Letter Words: complete Brian 1968 interview online  (Read 14530 times)
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2012, 01:06:20 AM »

Seems like this has been out there for awhile, but I'd not come across it before; a 25-minute interview with Brian from early 1968, later sampled for the "Rock & Other Four Letter Words" album.

http://rootstrata.com/rootblog/?p=6313

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »

Thanks! Far out

No mas, por favor.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:22:14 AM »

Yeah! Nice one - thanks heaps

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:02:19 AM »

Much appreciated.

“We live in divisive times.”
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:05:27 AM »

"We pulled out of that production pace, really because I was about ready to die. I was trying so hard. So all of a sudden I decided not to try any more, and not try & do such great things, such big musical things. And we had so much fun. The Smiley Smile era was so great, it was unbelievable. Personally, spiritually, everything, it was great."
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:35:23 AM »

Thanks!

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 03:27:46 AM »

Holey Carp, our man in the NY Public Library ought to give the Highwater AV collection a look see.

Edit: Whoops wrong library, our man is in the NYU Library. Anyone with a NY Public Library card want to volunteer to ask to hear/copy Unit ID 03035 in the Jamake Highwater Papers collection.

http://www.nypl.org/sites/default/files/archivalcollections/pdf/1395.pdf
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:35:29 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
MBE
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:53:41 AM »

I used this in my book quite a bit. I got it right from the NYPL along with 1968 interviews with Mike and Bruce. Best interview I ever heard with Brian easily.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »

that's very interesting. i never knew brian was into meditation. and i really did think he lost it at smiley smile. i'm a new obsessor so stuff like this is always cool. thanks for posting!!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »

Very groovy! Smokin

The interviewer can get on your nerves after a while but it's great to hear Brian so bright and focused.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:02:15 PM »

The interviewer talks too much, but what a treasure to hear a vintage Brian interview I've never heard before, with even some discussion of the collapse of SMiLE. Wow... thanks so much.

And the "next album" that would be so influenced by meditation is of course, Friends. What a genuine, guileless, humble guy we get to hear in this interview, but you can detect some of the turmoil in the way he describes his creative past. Fascinating.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:37:58 PM »

Fantastic ! Thank you for the link !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:22:42 PM »

Brian pretty much gives the answer to the question of why Smile was abandoned. "Mainly because I was about ready to die, I was trying so hard. So I just decided not to try anymore. And not try to do such...great things....The Smiley Smile era was great. I didn't have any paranoric [sic] feelings. No paranoia."
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 03:49:56 PM »

WOW — thanks!

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 04:31:58 PM »

The interviewer talks too much...

If he'd had any idea of how hard interviewers would try to get Brian to say stuff, he might have refrained from talking over the top of Brian as he did a number of times. But hey, he created a very interesting historic document. Anyone know of any other early Brian interviews?
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »

It's kind of interesting how enthuasiastic and optimistic Brian sounds considering that 1968 was pretty much his final year as the creative leader of The Beach Boys. I wonder what made him get so disillusioned.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 05:55:31 PM »

Brian does talk a lot, but he appears to end the interview with his final statement (which I think is misinterpreted). He sounds like he's wavering between wanting to continue on his musical adventure and wanting to protect himself. He even seems to be simply feigning interest in the description of the synthesizer. What he says about Paul McCartney (that they met but "didn't hit it off") is also interesting. Two totally different personalities, to be sure. And Carl is apparently driving the car but is pretty much ignored and too humble to interrupt with his own version of things.

What a great interview.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »

Interesting to me how little Brian has actually changed in interviews. He still lets the interviewer do most of the talking, still doesn't have an especially wide-ranging vocabulary, and the way he actually talks about his music or creative decisions is no more or less sophisticated. His best interviews simply seem to be when he's hopped up on something -- see the 76 appearances, or some of the 88 album interviews.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »

Nah, I think the difference between this interview and the ones we get today are night and day... no comparison whatsoever.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »

wow, this is incredible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MBE
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 07:04:45 PM »

It's kind of interesting how enthusiastic and optimistic Brian sounds considering that 1968 was pretty much his final year as the creative leader of The Beach Boys. I wonder what made him get so disillusioned.
Well you have to remember he did stay pretty active as a songwriter through early 1970, and was a pretty frequent presence through 1971. It was gradual I feel. He did seem to have a blip later in 1968, but he was going to a movie premiere by the end of the year, revived The Honeys, and even took Ron Wilson on as a protegee. Home movies from the late sixties and early seventies also show a Brian who is present and aware of himself. I think a lot of what Brian went through later is projected backwards and people tend to look for warning signs that aren't always there. Brian had mental issues even before David Marks left so it's not like he went downhill all of a sudden.   Even Smile as bad as the later sessions were for him didn't stop him from making two more albums that year and go to Hawaii for the live show. I think that he says Smiley Smile was a good period shows that he bounced back quickly ans was very pro group at the time. I think for once and for all the myth of 1974-1982 Brian being the same as 1967-71 Brian should be put to rest.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 07:09:16 PM »

Nah, I think the difference between this interview and the ones we get today are night and day... no comparison whatsoever.

Only in our reaction. The Brian of this interview -- and most of his 60s interviews -- is quite recognizable as the relatively tongue-tied man of today. This interview is only unusual because:

1.) We don't have many interviews with Brian from this time,
2.) He still _sounds_ young
3.) He's able to provide some closer-to-the-fact talk about Smile

and

4.) He's really into the Maharishi.

But the actual content he conveys -- it's pretty thin. Much ado about nothing, really.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 07:12:09 PM »

Well you have to remember he did stay pretty active as a songwriter through early 1970, and was a pretty frequent presence through 1971. It was gradual I feel.

True, but after Friends (and the Ole Man River / Walk On By sessions), ultimate control of the group's direction was clearly taken from Brian and he went into a deep funk. Although he still contributed to the early 70s albums, he was no longer in charge. Big difference. Friends was the last through and through "Brian album" until "Love You" nearly 10 years later.

MBE
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 11:38:50 PM »

Well you have to remember he did stay pretty active as a songwriter through early 1970, and was a pretty frequent presence through 1971. It was gradual I feel.

True, but after Friends (and the Ole Man River / Walk On By sessions), ultimate control of the group's direction was clearly taken from Brian and he went into a deep funk. Although he still contributed to the early 70s albums, he was no longer in charge. Big difference. Friends was the last through and through "Brian album" until "Love You" nearly 10 years later.

Not true. It wasn't taken, and until the use of Surf's Up, Brian's word was law. This was confirmed by everyone I talked to for my book there at the time.  It was a natural evolution that the others would began writing and producing something Brian had some initial mixed feelings about but eventually loved it more than loathed it. Again Brian had depression on and off way before this, and for him Smiley Smile to Surf's Up he (for him) wasn't unhappy.....at least in the studio. Even out of it he didn't need to be watched or have minders before his dad died. Carl felt Brian changed during the So Tough sessions, and as odd as this sounds the trip to Holland seemed to have made him worse. Still it was Murry's death that totally changed Brian and if one listens to the early seventies interviews one can see a big difference from the" Brian is Back" period and later. Never mind the further damage done by Landy in the 80's. I'm not putting Brian down for any of this, it's just what happened. I wrote a book that hopefully will further the work done by Andrew Doe and Jon Stebbins as far as laying myths to bed once and for all. Brian and the group got along fine, for the most part, in the sixties and very early seventies. Please read this for more details. http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-national/i-can-hear-music-author-mike-eder-reveals-his-dream-project-on-the-beach-boys-1
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:42:31 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 11:47:36 PM »

Not true. It wasn't taken, and until the use of Surf's Up, Brian's word was law. This was confirmed by everyone I talked to for my book there at the time.  It was a natural evolution that the others would began writing and producing something Brian had some initial mixed feelings about but loved more than loathed. Again Brian had depression on and off way before this, and for him Smiley Smile to Surf's Up wasn't unhappy much at all.....at least in the studio. Carl felt Brian changed during the So Tough sessions, and as odd as this sounds the trip to Holland seemed to have made him worse. Still it was Murry's death that totally changed Brian and if one listens to the early seventies interviews one can see a big difference from the" Brian is Back" period and later. Never mind the further damage done by Landy in the 80's. I'm not putting Brian down for any of this, it's just what happened. I wrote a book that hopefully will further the work done by Andrew Doe and Jon Stebbins as far as laying myths to bed once and for all. Brian and the group got along fine, for the most part, in the sixties and very early seventies. Please read this for more details. http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-national/i-can-hear-music-author-mike-eder-reveals-his-dream-project-on-the-beach-boys-1

I never saw that Carl ever said Brian seemed to have changed during the Carl & The Passions sessions. Where'd you read/hear that? It's just quite interesting.

Anyways, I agree with Mike that Brian still was the number 1 guy in the group at least through probably Surf's Up. He might not be the producer, but you can hear him all over Sunflower and you can hear him pretty well on quite a few of the songs from Surf's Up. It does seem that on Carl & The Passions he did kinda seem to disappear. Even though he wrote three songs for the album, one doesn't seem to hear him as much in the blend and he has no lead vocals. This might have been the point where he really started getting depressed and therefore not as reliable to be around.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx