gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680773 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:01:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's been three years since the last Reunion show..  (Read 3181 times)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:57 AM »

..and what a show it was! Man, i'm glad I able to witness this concert live.

Quite a setlist too.

Do It Again
Little Honda
Catch a Wave
Hawaii
Don't Back Down
Surfin' Safari
Surfer Girl
Please Let Me Wonder
This Whole World
Wendy
Getcha Back
Then He Kissed Me
You're So Good to Me
Kiss Me, Baby
Isn't It Time
Come Go With Me
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Dance, Dance, Dance
Darlin'
Disney Girls
It's OK
Cotton Fields
Be True to Your School
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around

Pet Sounds
Add Some Music to Your Day
Sail On, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
California Dreamin'
California Saga: California
In My Room
All This Is That
That's Why God Made the Radio
Summer's Gone
Forever
God Only Knows
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Good Vibrations
California Girls
All Summer Long
Help Me, Rhonda
Rock and Roll Music
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' U.S.A.

Encore:
Kokomo
Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2012/wembley-arena-london-england-2bddd8f6.html

Man, where does the time go? Shocked
It sure is a shame that it had to end, but we've still got those memories.

(from imageshack)
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:20 AM »

Great. This was just before I became a fan.  LOL

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:34:45 AM »

Yes, what a tour.  I'm glad to have been able to witness it in person (in June 2012) since the official live releases have failed to recapture the experience.  

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »

One of the greatest thrills of my life and I love all the surviving Beach Boys for the part they played in it.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »

It was the re-establishment of Order.

One can hope…!

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »

I'm so glad I was there to see the last concert by all the surviving Beach Boys.  I doubt there will be another quite like it.  When I started out as a fan in 1987 I could never have imagined being a part of that. 
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 08:27:55 PM »

I'm glad I bought tickets for that tour. I was just starting to get into The Beach Boys when the tickets went on sale and I thought "Sure, I'll go!" Little did I know at that point how important that tour was and how quickly it would end.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »

..... and the professor has not had a single moment of happiness since it ended.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 10:10:45 PM »

The only thing I would change about the reunion would have been featuring more of the new songs. TWGMTR was a good album, but I suppose we will never hear any of those songs in concert again.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »

..... and the professor has not had a single moment of happiness since it ended.

C'mon Prof........chin up!

I am reading Jim's book now and really enjoying it.

Yes, I was happy to see many important performances and the musicians who did them, such as the guitar intro on "Let's get it on."

More books and I'm sure good music still to be discovered. Grin
KDS
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 05:20:45 AM »

The only thing I would change about the reunion would have been featuring more of the new songs. TWGMTR was a good album, but I suppose we will never hear any of those songs in concert again.

Yeah, personally I think it's by far their best album since Holland (sorry Love You fans). 

So, I think its a shame that both camps ignore it (Love You fans share my pain on that one). 
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 07:53:31 AM »

Yes, what a tour.  I'm glad to have been able to witness it in person (in June 2012) since the official live releases have failed to recapture the experience.  

Me too, on June 20, Brian's 70th birthday. And yes, I don't like the whole atmosphere of the 21-song DVD. Looks too sterile.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 08:13:52 AM »

While I don’t disagree in theory, I’d have to say that while the C50 shows were mind-blowingly brilliant, their performances of the TWGMTR title track were perhaps the most shaky, wonky performances in the setlist. Every concert and TV performance I’ve heard of the song ranges from okay-at-best to near-falling-off-the-rails. I’ve never quite figured out why they had so much trouble doing that one.

“Isn’t It Time” fared better, but both “new album” tracks sounded a bit wonky. “Summer’s Gone” probably could have shaped up nicely if they had done it more often during the tour. Make no mistake, I would have rather heard “Pacific Coast Highway” or something than “Barbara Ann”, but on C50 I was kind of glad they didn’t do like some artists do and weigh the setlist down with like 6 or 7 “new album” songs. If they had been a functioning band through all the intervening years and were just plugging TWGMTR on their 2012 standard tour, more tracks perhaps would have been welcome. But for what turned out to be a one-shot deal for C50, 2 or 3 new songs were enough.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 08:15:39 AM »

Me too, on June 20, Brian's 70th birthday. And yes, I don't like the whole atmosphere of the 21-song DVD. Looks too sterile.

There's way better documentation on the YouTube from mostly audience recordings. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »

I think the “Live in Concert” Blu-ray/DVD is fine. Not perfect, but I think the sound and editing is fine. The huge flaw is that it’s only 21 songs. But I’d rather watch pro-shot footage edited relatively well and mixed relatively well than most of the audience YouTube clips. 

The Japan pro-shot TV special is even longer; unfortunately nobody has uploaded it to YouTube in even 480p quality, let alone  720 or 1080 HD. That footage still looks and sounds relatively good though.

If someone could source an HD rip of that Japan TV broadcast, and combine it with the “Live in Concert” blu-ray, that would be the best available article. It’s sad, because they captured several other C50 shows in HD with a full video crew (many other shows were probably at least captured on in-house video systems as well).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 08:56:45 AM »

I have a DVD of the Japan show (I got it on Amazon last year, listed as an "import").  Sure the picture's not as sharp as the 21 song DVD (as it goes under a $1 on Amazon, I'll buy it), but it least it has more songs.  Until something better comes along, it'll have to do. 
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2015, 08:58:50 AM »

My understanding is that the Royal Albert Hall show, filmed and recorded, still remains in the vault, as does the HD / 3D (or was it IMAX?) recording of the Hollywood Bowl show, which was slated to play theaters.
KDS
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 09:02:03 AM »

My understanding is that the Royal Albert Hall show, filmed and recorded, still remains in the vault, as does the HD / 3D (or was it IMAX?) recording of the Hollywood Bowl show, which was slated to play theaters.

I think we might see an official release of that show one day.  But I don't think it will happen while The Beach Boys are still touring.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »

It's just sad how we never got a blu ray from the Albert hall, red rocks or any of the other amazing show from that tour.

Worst managed band ever, they do themselves no justice.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »

It's just sad how we never got a blu ray from the Albert hall, red rocks or any of the other amazing show from that tour.

Worst managed band ever, they do themselves no justice.

If we got such a thing, including some cool backstage and/or soundcheck/rehearsal footage as bonus material, I would be likely not to complain again for at least 6-9 months

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx