gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:34:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Who Appreciation Thread  (Read 14063 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2012, 11:43:15 PM »

I've been listening to alot of "The Who" lately and i've became addicted to their music from "My Generation" to "Who Are You". I don't listen to anything they did after keith moon died because it's just not the same/right.
I know Pete Townsend and Keith Moon were big fans of the beach boys.
(Keith moon's favorite song of all time is barbara anne.)
Any of you on SmileySmile Who fans or is this going to be a lonely thread? lol
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 11:49:23 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »

We're here, Dude!

Wait until "Jay" gets his eyes on this one  Cheesy

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »

We're here, Dude!

Wait until "Jay" gets his eyes on this one  Cheesy
:] ok whew(wiping sweat from forehead) i thought i was the only one here. lol
What's your favorite song/album by the who?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:00:55 AM »

Hey NewGuy, take a look at my thread about when I met The Who. It's in the General Music area, about half way down.  Cool
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:02:45 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:02:56 AM »

We're here, Dude!

Wait until "Jay" gets his eyes on this one  Cheesy
That's a big question; my answers are kinda obvious but hard given the mega-breadth of their catalogue:

Song - Substitute.  Love smashin' that one out on my guitar  Rock!  As a whacked out teenager, Boris the Spider came in as a top 2

Album - I am an unashamed lover of Tommy; yeah, some bits have dated a little but the production is really interesting (in the minimalist Smiley-Smile/White Album mode), especially overture and underture.  + Go to the mirror, and Amazing Journey.

I was always a little 50/50 about Tommy 'til I saw some great very BBC B&W studio footage of the band playing the whole album - they really seemed (to me) to be getting into it!

I also recently said the Who should provide lessons (for a nominal fee) to other "vintage" acts on how to produce new material and performances with style and dignity (obvious examples excluded).  Eg, circa 1980/1, You better you bet versus Livin' with a Heart Ache or California Dreaming, let alone the Who's recent output

Thus, my nuts are bared; what are your favs, Newguy?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:09:02 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 01:16:44 AM »

Hey NewGuy, take a look at my thread about when I met The Who. It's in the General Music area, about half way down.  Cool
Wow!! i would've been stuck gazing at them like "do you guys realize how fuckin amazing you all are?!!!!" lol
I would've asked them what was there favorite album/songs by them and also other musical artist & MUCH MORE.
Jay you are so lucky you met them. seriously.
If you don't mind me asking,how old are you and what is your illness?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:24:42 AM »

We're here, Dude!

That's a big question; my answers are kinda obvious but hard given the mega-breadth of their catalogue:

Song - Substitute.  Love smashin' that one out on my guitar  Rock!  As a whacked out teenager, Boris the Spider came in as a top 2

Album - I am an unashamed lover of Tommy; yeah, some bits have dated a little but the production is really interesting (in the minimalist Smiley-Smile/White Album mode), especially overture and underture.  + Go to the mirror, and Amazing Journey.

I was always a little 50/50 about Tommy 'til I saw some great very BBC B&W studio footage of the band playing the whole album - they really seemed (to me) to be getting into it!

I also recently said the Who should provide lessons (for a nominal fee) to other "vintage" acts on how to produce new material and performances with style and dignity (obvious examples excluded).  Eg, circa 1980/1, You better you bet versus Livin' with a Heart Ache or California Dreaming, let alone the Who's recent output

That was long and in depth Smiley
Hmmm as far as songs i'm sure it'll change a bit since i'm a new fan and my taste always changes. lol
Don't want to confused you but it would have to be out of "I Can't Explain"  "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" & "My Generation" but honorable mentions are "Circles","Motoring" &"Lubie" i love all those rockin ones i'm a huge fan of the earlier work but i also adore their later songs and albums.
My Favorie album by them is of course the wonder debut "My Generation"..the current ones i'm listening to the most would have to be "The Who Sell Out" & "Who's Next".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 01:27:46 AM »

I was only 11 at the time I met them. Pretty cool for a young kid, huh?  Grin I'm 26 now. I have since been able to get an audio recording and vhs from the show I saw, which is awsome.  Grin I was VERY  nervous when I met them. I don't think I asked them anything all that interesting. I remember talking to John about his spider necklaces he always wore. As an adult now, I wish I could go back in time and pick Pete Townshend's brain.  LOL

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »

I was only 11 at the time I met them. Pretty cool for a young kid, huh?  Grin I'm 26 now. I have since been able to get an audio recording and vhs from the show I saw, which is awsome.  Grin I was VERY  nervous when I met them. I don't think I asked them anything all that interesting. I remember talking to John about his spider necklaces he always wore. As an adult now, I wish I could go back in time and pick Pete Townshend's brain.  LOL
Hell Fuckin Yeah! When i was 11 i didn't listen to the who i listened to Korn,Nirvana & rage against the machine.
My taste completely changed from then i mostly listen to classic rock The Who,Beach Boys,Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,The Rolling Stones,The Doors,Etc.
Let's just say for me nervous woud've been an understatement i would've been excited but way past nervous.
Isn't make a wish a charity organization for kids with critical medical conditions? I think the 1st time i heard of "make a wish" was in a Michael Jackson interview.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »

We're here, Dude!

Hmmm as far as songs i'm sure it'll change a bit since i'm a new fan and my taste always changes. lol
Don't want to confused you but it would have to be out of "I Can't Explain"  "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" & "My Generation" but honorable mentions are "Circles","Motoring" &"Lubie" i love all those rockin ones i'm a huge fan of the earlier work but i also adore their later songs and albums.
My Favorie album by them is of course the wonder debut "My Generation"..the current ones i'm listening to the most would have to be "The Who Sell Out" & "Who's Next".
You know obscure songs like Motoring and Lubie, and you're a "new fan"? I'm impressed.  Cool

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:38 AM »

We're here, Dude!

Don't want to confused you but it would have to be out of "I Can't Explain"  "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" & "My Generation" but honorable mentions are "Circles","Motoring" &"Lubie" i love all those rockin ones i'm a huge fan of the earlier work but i also adore their later songs and albums.
You know obscure songs like Motoring and Lubie, and you're a "new fan"? I'm impressed.  Cool
Yeah when i like a band/artist i really tap into their discography and check out their whole body of work and i was completely impressed by all of the who's albums/songs. This week i'm going to pick up Tommy & Quadrophenia because i heard so many good things about those albums, I hope i like them both.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:49:59 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 03:07:09 AM »

Get Who's Next too. And The Who By Numbers.  Grin

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 03:25:29 AM »

Get Who's Next too. And The Who By Numbers.  Grin
I have both. Smiley ..
What's your favorite album/song?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 10:18:44 PM »

Who's Next is their best album. I'm actually not all that into Tommy. I mean, I agree that it's a masterpiece, and a huge "turning point" in the development of their career. But for every good song on Tommy, there are two or three really great underrated and obscure songs, like Relay or The Song Is Over.

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »

Lifehouse, is their best, BTW.

Who's Next is like "Lets just do a quick version of Lifehouse"

Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 10:42:27 AM »

The Who has always been one of those stalwart musical interests for me since I first started listening to any rock music at all. I remember when I was 12 and hearing Baba O'Riley for the first time, which almost singlehandedly jumpstarted my love for hard rock.

Even though I've never had a period of obsession about them (and don't actually own many of their albums), over the last few months I've been very addicted to Live at Leeds. What a great, great show. The fact that the band could go make these more complicated or produced records, but then get up on stage and convert it back into an explosive three-piece hard rock sound, is just awesome. I don't know how many of you are familiar with the 15-minute version of "My Generation" that's on there, but it's such a cool jam, ranging from the quiet (introspective?) to the downright devastating. And it really gave me an appreciation for the musical themes on Tommy; it's a good record, but I'm content just listening to its best moments distilled down into that jam.

(and, holy carp, the rhythm section of Entwhistle and Moon? Killer.)

Lifehouse, is their best, BTW.

Who's Next is like "Lets just do a quick version of Lifehouse"

That's kind of a funny thing to say though, isn't it? There isn't a Who version of Lifehouse to go off of -- just demos and re-recordings of songs. I really love Who's Next, even if it's just a back-to-basics rock album. And: if you've never been somewhere where you can comfortably scream at the climax of "Won't Get Fooled Again," you are missing out. Grin Reading about some of the synthesizer experiments on that song (and elsewhere on the album) is really fascinating, if you're into that kind of thing.

What else: those early mod-y, power pop singles are something to behold, and "Pictures of Lily" sounds like it almost takes a cue out of the Brian Wilson playbook. I always liked "Join Together" for the same reason. The Who Sell Out is certainly funny, if a little leaning towards novelty. And finally, I'm not familiar with Quadrophenia (or much of their 70's albums) beyond just a few songs, but as I write, that's my next purchase.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »

Quadrophenia all the way for me.  It's their only album that works as an entity IMO.

Pure and easy is a hidden gem. Dirty jobs is their most underrated song. I believe Dirty jobs influenced Meet in my dreams tonight. How about that?

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »

Quadrophenia all the way for me.  It's their only album that works as an entity IMO.

Pure and easy is a hidden gem. Dirty jobs is their most underrated song. I believe Dirty jobs influenced Meet in my dreams tonight. How about that?

Agreed, Quad is their best RELEASED album.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 04:46:17 PM »

One of my top 5 groups, and Sell Out is my favorite lp...

If it runs amuck, call the duck
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

Their first two albums (My Generation, A Quick One) have their moments, but Sell Out thru Quad are a string of great albums.  Odds and Sods is a steller set of discards, By Numbers is a personal favorite, and Who Are You, for all it's "The Who Meets Journey" leanings is underrated.  They really did blow it by continuing on after Moon died, but Face Dances has a few good ones (and a great album cover), It's Hard has a couple of good ones, but overall falls on its a$$.  Endless Wire I have yet to hear.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 07:17:45 PM »

One of my top 5 groups, and Sell Out is my favorite lp...

Same here. Also Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 07:44:51 PM »

Their first two albums (My Generation, A Quick One) have their moments, but Sell Out thru Quad are a string of great albums.  Odds and Sods is a steller set of discards, By Numbers is a personal favorite, and Who Are You, for all it's "The Who Meets Journey" leanings is underrated.  They really did blow it by continuing on after Moon died, but Face Dances has a few good ones (and a great album cover), It's Hard has a couple of good ones, but overall falls on its a$$.  Endless Wire I have yet to hear.
"My Generation" & "sell out" are my favorites.  Smiley Now the last 3 albums i haven't even given a chance. It's just weird to listen 2 a Who album without keith moon's wild drumming.
Paulos
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 01:31:46 AM »

I love 'A Quick One', so many great songs on it, Boris The Spider, Run Run Run, I Need You, So Sad About Us and A Quick One While He's Away being faves, the latter track pointing the way to Tommy.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 01:38:51 AM »

I love 'A Quick One', so many great songs on it, Boris The Spider, Run Run Run, I Need You, So Sad About Us and A Quick One While He's Away being faves, the latter track pointing the way to Tommy.
I love the melody of boris the spider but the chorus always freaked me out :/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 01:43:20 AM »

I'm really getting into the Sell Out album and period again, after a few years of ignoring it. Rael is a very cool track. Quite a few pieces made it into Tommy, but the song on it's own is pretty cool, and rather underrated.  Cool

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx