gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:18:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What shall we expect from the GRAMMY performance?  (Read 101168 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:18:08 PM »

Jardine said there will be some surprises to be had when the 70-year-old "Boys" take the stage at the GRAMMY reunion performance.  My guess will be a greatest hits medley (duh) featuring "Do It Again", "California Girls" (with Katy Perry somehow involved...*shudder*), "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo".  Somehow I don't think the GRAMMYs would be the right venue for them to perform something with a little more depth like SMiLE.  My guess is that whatever they end up doing, the performance will go either really well or really awful.  Here's hoping the former.   Undecided
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:05:39 PM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:24:23 PM »

Jardine said there will be some surprises to be had when the 70-year-old "Boys" take the stage at the GRAMMY reunion performance.  My guess will be a greatest hits medley (duh) featuring "Do It Again", "California Girls" (with Katy Perry somehow involved), "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo".  Somehow I don't think the GRAMMYs would be the right venue for them to perform something with a little more depth like SMiLE.  My guess is that whatever they end up doing, the performance will go either really well or really awful.  Here's hoping the former.   Undecided

Oh, now I'm afraid

I'm expecting some speech's from famous fans, then the Boys come out and rock the joint

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:49:07 PM »

I'm hoping it's short and sweet...much like Simon and Garfunkel's reunion on the Grammy's about 8 years ago.  Hopefully, they start off the show and get it out of the way.  A short intro from a famous fan worthy of the introduction and then BAM..the opening chords to "California Girls" the crowd sings along and we're out. 

If they can restrain from going too overboard...it can also work as the final performance of the night with a longer set of songs..."California Girls" "Surfin' USA" and "Fun, Fun, Fun."  A nice party as the show wraps up.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »

I'll be OK with whatever songs they do - to some degree - as long as there are no surfboards or beachballs on that stage. I'm 100% serious...this is a band whose music can speak for itself without props or a schtick.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »

They will probably be joined on stage by younger, more commercially relevant acts- that is what the Grammys like to do. I just hope it's someone more respectable than a Katy Perry. Fleet Foxes would be good.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »

They don't need help with their performances, I'd say. I can't see a group like Fleet Foxes or anyone else adding much to a Beach Boys stage reunion that the BB's couldn't do on their own. It might look a bit too contrived. And I'm going to search for an old bowling ball at a thrift store to have on hand and ready to throw at the screen if they have the BB's with the Glee cast or something along those lines. Cheesy

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »

Jardine said there will be some surprises to be had when the 70-year-old "Boys" take the stage at the GRAMMY reunion performance.  My guess will be a greatest hits medley (duh) featuring "Do It Again", "California Girls" (with Katy Perry somehow involved...*shudder*), "Good Vibrations" and "Kokomo".  Somehow I don't think the GRAMMYs would be the right venue for them to perform something with a little more depth like SMiLE.  My guess is that whatever they end up doing, the performance will go either really well or really awful.  Here's hoping the former.   Undecided

Say what you will about Katy Perry's music (and I'd be inclined to agree) but she DID name-check the Beach Boys (before The Beatles) as an example of her discovering what REALLY good music was on Letterman a while back!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 10:38:15 PM by Erik H » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:21:47 PM »

They will probably be joined on stage by younger, more commercially relevant acts- that is what the Grammys like to do. I just hope it's someone more respectable than a Katy Perry. Fleet Foxes would be good.

Yes!! That would be so amazing..

Al Jardine is close to the Fleet Foxes, maybe he'll make that happen

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 11:51:21 PM »

Did people start putting Fleet Foxes on their "Good" lists even before they were featured prominently in the documentary on Brian's That Lucky Old Sun DVD?

They're alright and their connection to the BB would do well for the young demographic but outside of that...I personally wouldn't want too much involvement from them.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »

Wait, they're on the TLOS DVD? Doing what? Praising Brian's music or something more... robust?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:23 AM »

Say what you will about Katy Perry's music (and I'd be inclined to agree) but she DID name-check the Beach Boys (before The Beatles) as an example of her discovering what REALLY good music was on Letterman a while back!

OK, so if this is so, then why is her music such unrelenting sh*t ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:20:26 AM »

She was born in late '84, so her earliest audio memories may include Kokomo or Still Cruisin'  LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:23:24 AM »

The Grammy performance is going to be like this without the dancing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L4fdO7Wgak

No mas, por favor.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »

Also Brian Wilson will be there instead of John Stamos.

No mas, por favor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 02:03:47 AM »

She was born in late '84, so her earliest audio memories may include Kokomo or Still Cruisin'  LOL

Ahhhhhhhhh... gotcha.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 02:44:50 AM »

Katy Perry is old news. All the cool kids are listening to Skrillex now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cXDgFwE13g

No mas, por favor.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 08:11:44 AM »

They're going to play the Spanish "Kokomo" followed by their upcoming new single "Skatetown USA" (A side of "Do It Again").
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:01:58 AM »

Did people start putting Fleet Foxes on their "Good" lists even before they were featured prominently in the documentary on Brian's That Lucky Old Sun DVD?

They're alright and their connection to the BB would do well for the young demographic but outside of that...I personally wouldn't want too much involvement from them.
When I named Fleet Foxes as a group that might be good IF the Grammys wanted to pair the BBs with some young blood, I had no idea there was any formal connection between the two (I've never seen the TLOS DVD). It just seemed to me that, having heard some of their stuff, Fleet Foxes were probably Beach Boys fans and might mesh well with them musically. No bandwagon-jumping here.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:44 AM »

Fair enough. 

Out of all the current acts out there they would be the most fitting to join them on stage but I hope they  stick with the core band and skip guests join them.  If anything...Brian and Al are the special guests of the occasion since they've been absent from the band so long!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »

Yeah, I'll say again the core band doesn't need help or a young, hip cache attached to their performance to deliver that performance and let the music stand on its own. And I'll have the bowling ball ready just in case it gets out of hand...

As far as Katy Perry, I don't have a problem with her personally, and if you're into pop music and its production, there is a guy named Dr. Luke who used to play guitar in the Saturday Night Live house band who crafted a lot of her tracks. Put it this way, I'd take Katy Perry *any day* over a pretentious act like Maroon 5 because her music is fun and I don't think she takes it too seriously, again in a good way.

Just curious: Were her pro-Beach Boys comments on Letterman before or after she was sued by Mike? Cheesy

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »

I agree with Justin ..No guests
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »

Is it OK if BW wears bowling shoes..?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »

Yeah, I'll say again the core band doesn't need help or a young, hip cache attached to their performance to deliver that performance and let the music stand on its own.

Absolutely.  I can totally see it now.  The audience will be singing along and dancing to "California Girls" or "Barbara Ann"...totally digging the music...and whatever guests they put up there would totally get lost in the shuffle.  

I'm not saying the BB themselves will outshine anyone at the ceremony (we all know Joe Public would take a Kanye West over a Brian Wilson at the drop of a hat) but even a Kanye or a Katy Perry can't topple the power of those wonderful songs.  In the end, the songs will win and outshine anyone on that stage.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »

Yeah, I'll say again the core band doesn't need help or a young, hip cache attached to their performance to deliver that performance and let the music stand on its own.

Absolutely.  I can totally see it now.  The audience will be singing along and dancing to "California Girls" or "Barbara Ann"...totally digging the music...and whatever guests they put up there would totally get lost in the shuffle.  

I'm not saying the BB themselves will outshine anyone at the ceremony (we all know Joe Public would take a Kanye West over a Brian Wilson at the drop of a hat) but even a Kanye or a Katy Perry can't topple the power of those wonderful songs.  In the end, the songs will win and outshine anyone on that stage.

I remember a Letterman performance leading up to the BW tribute concert shown on TNT some years ago, and Brian was there to do Sail On Sailor...and the stage was crowded with guests like Darius "Hootie" Rucker and Matthew Sweet along with Brian's own band, and the performance was neat but something got lost with that many cooks in the same kitchen. It's like those "jam sessions" they try to concoct which end up sounding pretty bad no matter how many legends are on the stage...overkill.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 10:51:19 AM »

Katy wouldn't work with the group because her nice "upper torso" would make the group perform "rolling up to heaven" LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 31 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx