gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:16:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help writing a song that includes a key change...  (Read 1213 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »

I am fairly new to song writing and I enjoy trying new things, challenging myself, etc.  I would like to mess around with key changes to see if there is anything there for me to add into a song.  However, I don't really know what to do and have concluded that the best way to learn to do this is by learning to play songs by other people that involve key changes.  Could some of you recommend some simple songs I could begin analyzing and learning?  I would like to avoid three things:

1. Anything too complex, I want something simple.
2. Nothing with Eb.
3. I'd prefer to avoid a key change wherein a segment is repeated almost exactly but in a different key for dramatic affect.  I'd prefer a different function for the key change, whatever that might be.
4. No Brian Wilson songs.  I just don't want to start here.

I am thinking more along the lines of a bridge that changes keys...but I'm not really sure because I've not spent much time considering such things.

Any suggestions?

mps
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:36:19 PM by mypetsounds » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:56:05 AM »

That's kinda difficult - Keychanges generally just repeat the pattern in a higher key (it's a good effect!), the only one I can think of that ISN'T a BW tune goes from C to Eb, and Brian's really good at changing key subtly - Don't Back Down goes up a semi-tone between verse and chorus, f'instance. I know My Sweet Lord goes up a tone quite subtle, but the pattern remains the same. For some reason I think 'I'll Never Leave You', by Harry Nilsson, has a keychange, but maybe it just sounds like it.

I wish i could be of more help....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »

Maybe some Bacharach tunes?  I'll respond later when I can find a specific example.  Kind of depends on your view of complex vs. simple, too. Just a thought... let me see if I can find any.

... OK did a quick look. "A House Is Not A Home" has some brief changes in the middle section (I don't consider this an easy song though).  "What's New P ussycat" just kind of has some funky stuff going on all together.  

I've also never been quite clear on the distinction between a key change vs. a modulation vs. a brief excursion out of the key for less than a bar.

Don't a lot of standards like "I Wanna Be Around" change keys by virtue of having jazzy arrangements? I just know that I always have a tough time figuring out Tony Bennett songs on the piano. Maybe I'm off base here.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 05:27:09 PM by Manchini » Logged
soniclovenoize
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:36:47 AM »

I'm not a real big music theory guy, but mypetsounds, do you know your wheel of fifths?  Because (correct me if I'm wrong here) anytime you deviate form it, you are technically doing a key change. 

So instead of going to a different note, possible go to a minor instead of a major (or vice versa). 

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx