gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681028 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 08:59:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW and the Beatles' Revolver  (Read 13911 times)
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2009, 10:55:37 PM »

Paul is dead

Someone should've started a similar meme with the Beach Boys. Who would it have been though? Mike? The replacement Mike is the guy with the beard, the hats, the forays into mysticism... it would be more difficult to pull off since their lyrics aren't as cryptic on the whole and have less room for conspiratorial interpretation.

The original Mike Love in fact died of food poisoning while on his first trip to India.

In order to cover up this controversy the Beatles and Maharishi slipped out of the commune one night and found, hidden away in a leper colony, an albino Indian of similar height, build and facial structure as the deceased Mike Love.

Whisking him away back to the commune, traveling by Maharishi's magic carpet, they first stopped at a local farm and shaved a sacred cow of its reddish hair and carefully glued it to the face of the albino Indian to match Mike's beard.

Once back, they dumped the body of old-Mike in the Ganges and Paul McCartney hurriedly began teaching the new Mike all the Beach Boys songs.

Later that day, after mastering the Beach Boys sound and style, new-Mike helped Paul write lyrics to a song he was working on called "Back In The U.S.S.R".

Once back in the states, new-Mike's funny behavior was written off as his exposure to Maharishi's teachings. That or the food.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:26 PM »

Paul is dead

Someone should've started a similar meme with the Beach Boys. Who would it have been though? Mike? The replacement Mike is the guy with the beard, the hats, the forays into mysticism... it would be more difficult to pull off since their lyrics aren't as cryptic on the whole and have less room for conspiratorial interpretation.

The original Mike Love in fact died of food poisoning while on his first trip to India.

In order to cover up this controversy the Beatles and Maharishi slipped out of the commune one night and found, hidden away in a leper colony, an albino Indian of similar height, build and facial structure as the deceased Mike Love.

Whisking him away back to the commune, traveling by Maharishi's magic carpet, they first stopped at a local farm and shaved a sacred cow of its reddish hair and carefully glued it to the face of the albino Indian to match Mike's beard.

Once back, they dumped the body of old-Mike in the Ganges and Paul McCartney hurriedly began teaching the new Mike all the Beach Boys songs.

Later that day, after mastering the Beach Boys sound and style, new-Mike helped Paul write lyrics to a song he was working on called "Back In The U.S.S.R".

Once back in the states, new-Mike's funny behavior was written off as his exposure to Maharishi's teachings. That or the food.

Dennis looks like someone I know in that picture. I also find it funny that Mike looks the same.

I would say that Brian was replaced by an imposter in 1974 when he went into the institute. They sort of trained him for the next two years and in 1976 he was ready to perform. Unfortunately, the fake Brian was even more crazy. In 1983, Brian was out of the intsitute and back. But this time he would keep his distance from the band mates that drove him mad.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:40 PM »

Side one

1. "I've Just Seen a Face"   
2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" 
3. "You Won't See Me"   
4. "Think for Yourself"
5. "The Word"   
6. "Michelle"  

Side two

7. "It's Only Love" 
8. "Girl"   
9. "I'm Looking Through You"   
10. "In My Life"   
11. "Wait"   
12. "Run for Your Life"   

Damnit ! Ths would've knocked me out too ! Much more so than the UK-version which I have. Thanks for posting.

an stupid question but, why  two versions? im not a beatles fan
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2009, 12:42:12 PM »

Side one

3. "You Won't See Me"   
4. "Think for Yourself"
5. "The Word"   
6. "Michelle"  

Side two

7. "It's Only Love" 
8. "Girl"   
10. "In My Life"   
11. "Wait"   
12. "Run for Your Life"   

Damnit ! Ths would've knocked me out too ! Much more so than the UK-version which I have. Thanks for posting.

Capitol were fond of cutting up Beatles albums from their original UK versions to make 'new albums' from the tracks cut off from separate releases - For instance, the tracks missing from the UK Rubber Soul ended up with tracks cut up from Revolver, and whatever singles they had just released to make an album called 'Yesterday & Today!', and thus be marketing a 'new' Beatles product.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 01:22:56 PM »

Side one

3. "You Won't See Me"   
4. "Think for Yourself"
5. "The Word"   
6. "Michelle"  

Side two

7. "It's Only Love" 
8. "Girl"   
10. "In My Life"   
11. "Wait"   
12. "Run for Your Life"   

Capitol were fond of cutting up Beatles albums from their original UK versions to make 'new albums' from the tracks cut off from separate releases - For instance, the tracks missing from the UK Rubber Soul ended up with tracks cut up from Revolver, and whatever singles they had just released to make an album called 'Yesterday & Today!', and thus be marketing a 'new' Beatles product.
and the sound of both was the same? i mean, was capitol allowed to masteting the tunes?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »

I THINK so..... I know maybe some of the early ones had different mixes, you can get them on the 'Capitol Albums' boxes. For the most part, i think the difference is minimal.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 02:17:55 PM »

'I'm Looking Through You' on  the U.S. version of Rubber Soul has the screwup left in at the beginning of it (it's a false start). It doesn't sound that bad, either, for a 'mistake'.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2012, 06:13:28 AM »

I find the UK Rubber Soul to be a much better listen than the US version

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »

and the sound of both was the same? i mean, was capitol allowed to masteting the tunes?

No, the sound was quite different -- usually (but not always) the US copies were from tapes a couple of generations down from the British masters. There was a *lot* of added reverb and compression, to make the songs sound closer to the contemporary American style, and several mono-only singles had duophonic versions on the Capitol albums.

If I'm remembering right, there are also a couple of songs where slightly longer mixes were used on the US versions. (I *think* I'll Be Back was one? I don't have my reference books in front of me).

Almost all the changes were for the worse, but many American fans from the pre-CD era still prefer the US versions because that's what they're used to, and so there are expensive box sets of them.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx