gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:26:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finding the board  (Read 13637 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 01:18:43 AM »

This IS a truly wonderful place, but my heart broke when Male Ego got ditched. It was a 24/7 Beach Boys lover's soap opera.

Same here - Ego was the real deal. The supposed 'nastiness' that sometimes breaks out here would have been laughed off of Ego as a kindergarten spat. Ego was a cage fight with chainsaws and rattlesnakes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »

I know Charles had an issue with a few people over there, and IIRC some of it had to do with the old Flux threads.

My bad.
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2012, 01:58:27 AM »

Found it via the Smile Shop site, which I found after trolling the net following an inspiring first read of AGD's utterly brilliant co-authored BBs guide. The Smile Shop was the only site consistently streaming Smile tunes in decent quality. I'd ration myself to one or two a day from my crappy dial-up connection! I kept returning, as I had no Smile material of my own, and one day found a message board there. I think I posted the first message there, under the subject 'launch pad'. Yay me  Afro. Ahem. But really, I was blown away by Jon & John's concept of 'Smile-as-pop-album', and equally stunned at the way the board took on this incredible sense of community so rapidly. I met many cool folks there, and got to meet many in person at the PS and BWPS tours. Great times!

Eventually that led to this board, which has also been an education. It recaptures the thrill of discovery of the Shop, and while it casts the net more broadly, and has the periodic moral crises that also surfaced on the ol' Shop board, it still has that all-important critical mass of really clued-up people on it, and fizzes with a sense of enthusiasm and discovery that should always accompany Smile. I feel really privileged to have experienced the release of TSS with the expertise and enthusiasm here. 
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 06:03:27 AM »

ive always used the beach boys fan club links site to find stuff then go from there..Been comin here since 1999.. Smile shop //smiley smile.. shut down 2 BBB.. etc..
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 08:14:09 AM »

"I know Charles had an issue with a few people over there, and IIRC some of it had to do with the old Flux threads."

Wasn't it more the case that people over there had an issue with Charles...?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »

"I know Charles had an issue with a few people over there, and IIRC some of it had to do with the old Flux threads."

Wasn't it more the case that people over there had an issue with Charles...?

[raises hand]

Aside from his reading other posters PMs, I and not a few others objected to having scripture pushed in my face. I want religion, I'll go to church.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 09:50:47 AM »

Not just scripture but Conservative politics!  Roll Eyes

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 09:56:57 AM »

Same here - Ego was the real deal. The supposed 'nastiness' that sometimes breaks out here would have been laughed off of Ego as a kindergarten spat. Ego was a cage fight with chainsaws and rattlesnakes.

I loved it.  It's really too bad a couple of whiny pants's got their way with Junkstar and it was shut down.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2012, 10:24:41 AM »

My recall is similar - this board first sprang up when there was a temporary technical fail at the Smile Shop, and many people there joined up here until that site was up again.  The two co-existed (cordially) for a time with shared members until the blow-up described by others and the snark feast.

Ian's site is a fun lurk to stay on top of non-BB things, and they have their own section for the BB.  Much of the writing is very good indeed, excellent analysis, their Zappa series in particular was archive-worthy.  But the principal posters are a bit prickly sometimes.  Don't want to step on toes and rile anyone up, I get enough aggro at the office, so I don't seek it on the web.  Better I just sit at their feet and listen.

Actually, it was the legendary "Professor" incident that caused the Shop to be temporarily shuttered, and LePage started this as a supposed "temporary" home for Shop patrons.
I'm sorry if you were offended by anything you may have encountered on the RR. Please drop by again and post sometime.

That's different from my recall exactly how? A few details may have gotten lost in the mists of time, but I don't see how a "temporary board" started during the Smile Shop downtime (when said shop ultimately didn't return in its original form) isn't a direct descendant. I always thought the name "Smiley Smile" -- described the relationship to the original perfectly well.

And all these years later, I'm still bothered that the original shop posts seem to have been lost. There was some great stuff there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:26:18 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2012, 10:31:23 AM »

Not just scripture but Conservative politics!  Roll Eyes

More like reactionary extremism and he wasn't the only one. Once I started being compared to Osama bin Laden (not by him), I knew my time at Cabinessence was up. And now they wonder why no one posts there anymore.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 10:38:48 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 10:43:28 AM »

I'll raise my hand too.  Got sick of that and the reactionary conservative politics
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 07:48:08 AM »

My recall is similar - this board first sprang up when there was a temporary technical fail at the Smile Shop, and many people there joined up here until that site was up again.  The two co-existed (cordially) for a time with shared members until the blow-up described by others and the snark feast.

Ian's site is a fun lurk to stay on top of non-BB things, and they have their own section for the BB.  Much of the writing is very good indeed, excellent analysis, their Zappa series in particular was archive-worthy.  But the principal posters are a bit prickly sometimes.  Don't want to step on toes and rile anyone up, I get enough aggro at the office, so I don't seek it on the web.  Better I just sit at their feet and listen.

Actually, it was the legendary "Professor" incident that caused the Shop to be temporarily shuttered, and LePage started this as a supposed "temporary" home for Shop patrons.
I'm sorry if you were offended by anything you may have encountered on the RR. Please drop by again and post sometime.

That's different from my recall exactly how? A few details may have gotten lost in the mists of time, but I don't see how a "temporary board" started during the Smile Shop downtime (when said shop ultimately didn't return in its original form) isn't a direct descendant. I always thought the name "Smiley Smile" -- described the relationship to the original perfectly well.

And all these years later, I'm still bothered that the original shop posts seem to have been lost. There was some great stuff there.

Yeah, you're right. I guess I was just trying to get across that it was never, and will never be, an official, "approved" descendant of the Smile Shop. But lo these many years later, who cares.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »

My recollection is similar to many others here.  I remember starting on the Blueboard, soon finding the old Smile Shop.  Others on here know the sequence of events better than me, but I do remember the Smile Shop just being gone one day, at which point I migrated here. 

I've perused most of the other Beach Boys related forums at various times, but I find that this one has the best discussions and a good cast of characters.  When the board was down for awhile last year, the thought of this board being gone forever was a frightening one for sure!  Glad we came out the other side and that we have such a great place to discuss all the big things headed our way this year.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »

Found the Cabin/Mike Wheeler site back in the mid to later 90's as I recall.  Used to visit the chat room there.  Met a lot of nice people, really good company.  Things changed and not so many people were posting and there were some people hacking and such, causing the board to jam up frequently.  On that site there was a links page and "web ring"  that listed other sites.  I think I got to the smile shop that way.  And it seems I found this site through smile shop/shutdown connections.   I still like the folks who post on the Shut Down site that Susan L. put up as a continuation of the Cabin  but there are few posts there these days.  Went to the RR a few times after I.  stopped posting here...(he seems to be back) but I land here 99 percent of the time.  I get my pms here.  Seems to me this is by far the best BB site on the internet.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2012, 01:30:33 AM »

I honestly can't remember. It's been way too long since I joined.
Six months later I still can't remember.

does it annoy anyone else when RangeRover posts in old threads? it annoys me, for sure.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2012, 01:51:37 AM »

i found this because i was looking up beach boys tattoo. I'm still trynna to find something to get that represents the beach boys but it's hard. :/

Can't you just get the indian on horseback logo? Evocative, enigmatic, subtle although immediately obvious to any more serious fans. That would be perfect for a tattoo, surely?

Sorry, that post was ancient!

I think I was a member (or lurking) on the smile shop (the one with the iron horse montage) just after the RFH Smile concert started my Smile obsession. Then that morphed into another smile shop that was more broadly focussed on music in general, then that imploded and I registered here.

I really think this is a great message board. There's a lot of talk of negative threads and belligerence here but I don't really buy that. For the most part people here seem pretty respectful of one another.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:03:04 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »

I wanted to find out how that pitch-shift shanana-part in She's Going Bald was made. Searched the net, found Stephen Desper's answer. Pretty soon I realized I had stumbled into a treasure trove of Beach Boys information.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2012, 02:23:19 AM »

this is a serious question..when did mike start losing hair? because i havent seen him in a picture without a receded hairline/hat on...has it been like that since the surfin safari days?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 02:32:04 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 02:58:42 AM »

Even in the earliest publicity shots you can see that his hairline is pretty high, especially when compared to others. Even in his yearbook pic (from senior year, I believe). So, he started to lose it already back in high school. Man, that guy has some serious testosterone levels. Spreading the love!

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2012, 03:01:37 AM »

this is a great example of that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2012, 03:24:52 AM »

Even in the earliest publicity shots you can see that his hairline is pretty high, especially when compared to others. Even in his yearbook pic (from senior year, I believe). So, he started to lose it already back in high school. Man, that guy has some serious testosterone levels. Spreading the love!
man that's sad...poor mike :/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2012, 03:25:13 AM »

compare his hairline to marks  Shocked
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2012, 03:49:48 AM »

cool

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2012, 03:50:02 AM »

cool
real cool man

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2012, 04:00:45 AM »

The Goog'.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx