gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:35:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All I Want To Do  (Read 6941 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »

Doesn't Dennis say to her "Did I hurt you?" at the end? Something only members of the ten inch club have to ask.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:27:49 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
SunBurn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »

The transition from this track to The Nearest Faraway Place is one of my favorites. i personally find the incoherence and extreme contrasts throughout the album to be totally compelling. Not too crazy about "Bluebirds", but otherwise love it all.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 12:02:19 AM »

I just wish the mix on 20/20 (and the live recording on Rarities from the Live In London encore) wasn't so wimpy. I want to hear that guitar scream, Mike wail, and that chick at the end moan! That's why the mono version is great and needs to be more widely available -- it has everything! Hopefully if there's a follow-up singles box set covering 1965-69 it'll be included...

I agree with you on that. Mike sings this song in a great way he never did before or since, unfortunately he is so low in the mix one might almost wonder if it were meant for Stack-o-tracks.... A solid remix of this song is warranted. It's just too good to remain hidden.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 01:54:43 AM »

Such a waste, that he never used this voice again. When David Lee Roth left Van Halen, they should have called Mike instead of Spammy Hagar. It's not like the Beach Boys did anything worthwhile during the Hagar years, anyway.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:43 AM »

I like the track a lot, especially the singing and the DRUMS. I suppose those drums are Dennis?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »

The live version cuts the studio cut to pieces, in my opinion. Wish they would have kept it in the set.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 08:23:32 PM »

The live version is indeed great, although an iffy mix and Mike not "going for it" as much as the studio version drag it down a bit.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 08:40:55 PM »

I love this song, enjoy it more than TTGA and IWTS on side 2. Who plays drums and who plays lead guitar on the recording? I think it's not Dennis and Carl, but I don't have any real info.

Can anyone provide the mono mix? That would be something for the alledgedly upcoming box set... Smiley One more reason to buy it! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 08:48:37 PM »

The live version is indeed great, although an iffy mix and Mike not "going for it" as much as the studio version drag it down a bit.
But Mike says "ARE YOU READAYY?" at the beginning. That does it for me.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2012, 08:51:15 PM »

Such a waste, that he never used this voice again. When David Lee Roth left Van Halen, they should have called Mike instead of Spammy Hagar. It's not like the Beach Boys did anything worthwhile during the Hagar years, anyway.

and Mike WOULD have worn Dave's stage outfits too and everything!!!!!!
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 12:56:39 AM »

I would love to get Mr. Desper in here to comment on recording this song, specifically the end!

Your wish is granted. Stephen shared his recollections a while back in The Stephen Desper Thread. Here's the link (reply 282, about halfway down the page):

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=419fa4777e12aaa26162690135b9f4e8&topic=1203.275

there aren't words to express how great it is having somebody like Stephen Desper here to share memories with us. and a great story teller to boot.

No mas, por favor.
Youre Under Arrest
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2012, 03:16:51 AM »

I love the brass in between the "C'mon, baby" parts. Fantastic song, Top 3 of 20/20 for sure.

"My name is Brian and I'm the man, I write hit songs with the wave of my hand" - Brian Wilson

Not only was Brian a musical genius, but he was a real cool head, making real good bread.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2012, 03:47:27 AM »

As was mentioned, this is the only instance (I am aware of, anyway) that Mike just lets it rip in such a fashion - and he does it so well, makes me wonder why he never grabbed a few tunes like this before or since.  Makes me think he might have done well at belting out something like Wild Honey, or I Was Made To Love Her, etc. 
The ending of course is classic.   Wink
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2012, 05:48:06 AM »

I really love this track.. Mike really goes for it (as does Dennis Wink  It's absolutely one of my favorite BB songs, makes me want to get up and dance.  Mike's vocals are ripper, wish he sung like that more often.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »

But Mike says "ARE YOU READAYY?" at the beginning. That does it for me.

Y'got me there ^_^ I'm a fan of that, as well.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx