gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:11:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do It Again (original version) question  (Read 3109 times)
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2011, 05:53:06 AM »

Barring live versions, Stacks-O-Tacks, and the alternate version on Endless Harmony, is there a version out there of the standard mix WITHOUT the "Workshop" tag mixed in?  I could have sworn there was but I can't seem to find it.  (My guess now is I was confused, thinking of the one on EH.)  Can someone confirm, either way?

Thanks!
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:59:29 AM »

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure such a version exists on the "Made in the USA" CD from the late '80s.

It may be elsewhere, but I can't recall at the moment (sorry, just woke up).
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:01:59 AM »

I appreciate the reply.  Now to investigate Smiley
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:08:00 AM »

You are correct!  A million thanks!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:17:29 AM »

Yeah, I think it's on all Greatest Hits comps without it - Definitely on ones I have/checked on Spotify, like 20 Golden Greats/Sounds Of Summer.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 09:49:08 AM »

Nice link. Btw does anyone know if there is a fully stereo version of this song? it doesnt matter if Brian or Mike sings the bridge. I have the unsurpassed masters and I've seen the attempts on youtube (they're alright, but not balanced or loud enought)

Any suggestions?
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »

I kinda like it with "Workshop", actually...
Austin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:59:29 AM »

Btw does anyone know if there is a fully stereo version of this song?

Not officially, I'm afraid. For what it's worth though, the version on Sounds of Summer sounds a bit better than the one on 20/20 -- clearer and tighter, for lack of less generic descriptors.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 11:54:27 AM »

Yeh, anything that uses the original mono single mix does not include the 'workshop' segment.  That was added when they re-channeled it in 'stereo' for 20/20.

There's a really cool story Steve Desper told about why 'Do It Again' can never be stereo.  To paraphrase, they mixed the track in an all-night rush session to stereo, did a quick fold-down to mono (on a Revox A77) to check mono compatibility, and in the process of rushing the tape to Capitol (I believe it was Carl and Steve), the stereo master flew out of car at some point and was deemed lost forever.  So in a scramble to deliver the single, they went back and grabbed that mono fold-down and presented that to Capitol, which became the single.

THEN, the original multi-track master was lost at some point during preparation for 'Stack-O-Tracks' shortly thereafter.  So when it came time to remix in stereo for '20/20', duophonic was the only option!

Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »

Yeh, anything that uses the original mono single mix does not include the 'workshop' segment.  That was added when they re-channeled it in 'stereo' for 20/20.

There's a really cool story Steve Desper told about why 'Do It Again' can never be stereo.  To paraphrase, they mixed the track in an all-night rush session to stereo, did a quick fold-down to mono (on a Revox A77) to check mono compatibility, and in the process of rushing the tape to Capitol (I believe it was Carl and Steve), the stereo master flew out of car at some point and was deemed lost forever.  So in a scramble to deliver the single, they went back and grabbed that mono fold-down and presented that to Capitol, which became the single.

THEN, the original multi-track master was lost at some point during preparation for 'Stack-O-Tracks' shortly thereafter.  So when it came time to remix in stereo for '20/20', duophonic was the only option!

COMMENT:  You are correct.  To make it clear, I put the stereo master tape on the back deck of my Corvette when Carl and I decided to take the master to Capitol Records Tower. The top was down in the Corvette, so the deck was the folded up rag top. I remember it was very early in the morning and we had been up all night. Anyway, in our rush the tape did not make it into the car itself, and somewhere on Lural CCanyon Drive (a twisting road) the tape must have flown off . It may be in someone elses collection, found by somewone and re-used for other recordings, or is still in a ditch somewhere. 

soe...Did I read somewhere thaat the boys are recording this song again?

I AM TYPING BLIND. I CANNOT SEE WHAT I AM TYPING BECAUSE THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS PROBRAM AND WINDOWS 7. WILL SOMEONE FIX THE PROBLEM. I DON'T POST HERE MUCH BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE REPETEDLY ASK YOU TO FIX THE PROBLEM. CAN'T YOU FIX IT? DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROBLEM?

~ggood Listning, but the software SUCKS !![/
size]  ~Stephen W. Desper
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »

Sorry to hear that your having difficulty posting here Stephen. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

BTW, I'm using W7 in both 32 & 64 bit guises with Firefox without issue.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 11:11:31 PM »

Sorry to hear that your having difficulty posting here Stephen. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

COMMENT:  Thanks. The problem has to do with W7 and Internet Exployer, I believe. I can type about two lines and then it goes blind. The Smiley Smile webmaster's solution was to ask me to use firefox. However, I am not going to make that great a change just to post here. You would think a solution could be found. Since the so-called upgrade, you can't post photos anymore and the software is not compatible with IE. More like a downgrade if you ask me. ~swd
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 01:55:58 AM »

Hello Stephen,

I too wish that the software would work better on your PC. It really varies for each PC it seems. For me for example, at home there's no problem at all, but at work I have this problem as well... and I can't get it fixed. And I don't have the position here to get it solved either.

What works best is to type your message in Word, and then copy-paste it in here. It's a bit extensive to work with, but it's the best alternative.

As for adding pictures: it is still possible to attach them directly with a reply. But there has always been a limit of 120kb max. And even then there's a total limit for the board, which means we have to regularly clean up older pictures. What most people do these days is to upload a picture on a website like www.tinypic.com or www.photobucket.com. It works easy. Select a picture (it can be as big as you want it to be), and upload. After uploading one gets several codes, a.o. an IMG code for forums and message boards. Simply copy-paste the link in your message and you're ready.

COMMENT:  Thanks. The problem has to do with W7 and Internet Exployer, I believe. I can type about two lines and then it goes blind. The Smiley Smile webmaster's solution was to ask me to use firefox. However, I am not going to make that great a change just to post here. You would think a solution could be found. Since the so-called upgrade, you can't post photos anymore and the software is not compatible with IE. More like a downgrade if you ask me. ~swd

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 03:38:21 AM »

Hi Steve, I strongly recommend you download Firefox, it makes Internet Explorer look like crap by comparison.  I've never gone back.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 05:40:13 AM »

Stephen,

Have you tried clicking on the Capatability View icon, the broken page looking icon between the search icon and the refresh icon in the web address bar toolbox at the upper left of the screen?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »

Stephen,

Have you tried clicking on the Capatability View icon, the broken page looking icon between the search icon and the refresh icon in the web address bar toolbox at the upper left of the screen?

Yes, try this please, I'm an inspiring producer who would love to talk to his idol!

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 07:51:26 AM »

I'll endorse Firefox too, of course it's not a perfect browser but of all the other options, especially Internet Explorer, it's easily the best and most stable. Compared to IE, any version, Firefox is so much smoother and less gremlin-infested. It is really easy to make the switch, and after viruses started getting through IE too often I wondered why I hadn't made the switch earlier than I did.

For photo sharing, I mentioned a few weeks ago in the Ask SWD honored guest thread that Photobucket is probably the easiest and best way to have photos hosted and shared online. You can keep the albums private and only share whatever shots you post as direct links. I'll endorse Photobucket as well.

I will not endorse any political candidates, though. Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »

I had the exact same problem as Steve is experiencing. You reach a certain point of typing in the message window and it stops scrolling down automatically to enable you to see what you're typing and there's a limit; all of a sudden you can't see what you're typing anymore. The problem is Windows 7, Explorer 8, and this board. Chuckie advised me to upgrade to Explore 9 but I was unwilling - I suggested that he update the board software to be compatible with ALL browsers, and fix the bug. Chuck will not provide support with the board's technical issues - just collect money for it. This board works fine with Windows XP (and SP3) and Vista, but not Windows 7 and Exploder 8. Steve says he doesn't want to upgrade from Explorer 8 to Explorer 9 because then his other apps won't work correctly, but I really think they should with Explore 9. It's been thoroughly tested with Windows 7 and determined to be tried and true.

Mozilla Firefox is another excellent option. Works great for me with Win 7 my other two computers. If you want to install Google Chrome, you're dancin'.

We'd sure like you to fix those issues and have you keep posting here, Steve!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx