gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 05:09:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - "we are calling it a celebration instead of a reunion"  (Read 4294 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2011, 06:19:28 PM »

Just thought this was significant:

On Christmas Eve, Brian stopped by the blue board to post some Christmas messages to his fans with his daughter Daria.  Anyways, he had an interesting comment that I think maybe we should take heed, makes sense to me....

In response to a Christmas wish:

"I think I met you at a few concerts right? Anyway, we are calling it a celebration instead of a reunion. The vibe without Carl or Dennis isn't a real reunion, but we certainly have a lot to celebrate. 50 years?Huh That's crazy right. Hope you and your family are cool on this xmas eve Pete. Love, Brian"

He also mentioned that he thinks he keeps a good secret, but he's glad the news is out, he was running out of things to say.  That explains all the "I don't like those guys" talk before the CELEBRATION news leaked out.  He also said he's written several new songs he thinks everybody will like, and also said that someone will have to wait until 2013 to see him tour solo. 
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »

"I just don't know if I want to be around those guys, you know? They're zany guys. They're crazy."

LOL
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:38:12 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »

Daria also revealed that Brian is "The Kindest person alive" and that when she was 9, he bought her a pair of high heels for Christmas. 

So in other words, maybe he hasn't changed as much as it seems. 

Extrapolate that a little further, and YES, it's completely possible we'll get another "Love You". 
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »

Hahahahaha yessssssssssssssssssssss
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:10:10 PM »

Sounds good.  Brian did good keeping the secret pretty well.  Can't for the celebration to roll out.
Jason
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 10:15:44 PM »

I can't say I disagree with his choice of wording. The band technically were "together" but inactive. It wasn't like there was some acrimonious split on the tarmac, or anything like that.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 04:21:29 AM »

I see nothing wrong with calling it a celebration, as stated above, the band never actually "broke up" so to speak, at least in any large confrontational manner. So I'm fine with calling it that, and knowing Brian is looking forward to the project and hearing HIM say he's written some tracks really gets me excited for this whole thing.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 04:56:23 AM »

We should have guessed this would be the line taken, given the logo for the tour and album! Wink

“We live in divisive times.”
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 05:15:32 AM »

"I just don't know if I want to be around those guys, you know? They're zany guys. They're crazy."

LOL

Ah, another instance of Brian putting us on?
Brian also said there was going to be a big Christmas Eve dinner at his house and "my whole family" was going to be there-- "something like 60 people." Carnie and Wendy?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 05:29:38 AM »

Daria also revealed that Brian is "The Kindest person alive" and that when she was 9, he bought her a pair of high heels for Christmas. 

So in other words, maybe he hasn't changed as much as it seems. 

Extrapolate that a little further, and YES, it's completely possible we'll get another "Love You". 
Brian hasn't changed LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »

I think "celebration" is a good term.  As has been stated, the Beach Boys have never actually broken up; they've only changed personnel.  Whether or not you consider the Mike and Bruce Show legit or not really doesn't matter. It is, for all intents and purposes, an unbroken continuation of the Beach Boys as a functioning musical unit.  In addition, even as Brian has done his solo career he has remained a partner in the Beach Boys business empire.

So yeah, it's a celebration. 
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 07:02:25 AM »

Sounds like a really good vibe.  Happy for everyone involved.   Smiley

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 07:09:57 AM »

[Brian] also mentioned that he thinks he keeps a good secret, but he's glad the news is out, he was running out of things to say.  That explains all the "I don't like those guys" talk before the CELEBRATION news leaked out.  He also said he's written several new songs he thinks everybody will like, and also said that someone will have to wait until 2013 to see him tour solo.  

Permission to say "I told you so" in mildly smug tones ?  May as well, 'cause I will anyway.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
D Cunningham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »

HpyNwYr, Andrew.

By the way, has anyone explained how it was that Jardine, a member of the board, could be fired from the touring Beach Boys?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »

HpyNwYr, Andrew.

By the way, has anyone explained how it was that Jardine, a member of the board, could be fired from the touring Beach Boys?

I believe the phrase is "creative dismissal".  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »

Brian's said a few more words on the reunion, to the daily mail

We are making a new studio album, re-issuing a lot of our hits, and in April we will embark on a 50-date world tour,’ says Brian. ‘And, yes, we are planning to play in the UK.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2080097/Beach-Boys-reunion-Back-fifty-years-creating-soundtrack-summer.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »

[Brian] also mentioned that he thinks he keeps a good secret, but he's glad the news is out, he was running out of things to say.  That explains all the "I don't like those guys" talk before the CELEBRATION news leaked out.  He also said he's written several new songs he thinks everybody will like, and also said that someone will have to wait until 2013 to see him tour solo.  

Permission to say "I told you so" in mildly smug tones ?  May as well, 'cause I will anyway.  Grin

Permission granted!
You're not too bad at keeping a secret yourself AGD!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 11:58:24 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 02:59:37 PM »

Lets here some more about these new songs they are about to record.
how many ? when? who is writing the words? who is producing and engineering
where are they going to do the recordings? Have they cut any of them yet?
What process do they use at this stage of their life? Do they rehearse together
in one of their homes or in the studio itself? Do they even rehearse the new songs
at all or just come in cold? Does Scott Bennett or someone work up a temp track
and they sing to that or do they sit around the piano together

Ok Happy New Year I'm outta questions.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 06:07:25 PM »

Lets here some more about these new songs they are about to record.
how many ?

Hopefully enough for a whole album....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx