gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:34:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Sessions vs. Smiley Smile  (Read 11673 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »

Very interested in hearing your opinions on the differences between these songs..the smile sessions versions and smiley smile versions...and which one you prefered over the other and why?

Heroes and Villains (Smile Sessions)  vs.  Heroes and Villains (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Vega-Tables (Smile Sessions)  vs. Vegetables(Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Elements (Fire) vs. Fall Breaks and Back to Winter ? ? ?

He Gives Speeches (Smile Sessions) vs. She's Goin Bald (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Love To Say Da Da (Smile Sessions) vs. Little Pad (Smiley Smile) ? ? ? (I'm guessing they are both water songs.)

Good Vibrations (Smile Sessions)  vs. Good Vibrations (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Wonderful (Smile Sessions) vs. Wonderful (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Wind Chimes (Smile Sessions) vs. Wind Chimes (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:16:02 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 02:22:00 AM »

Everyone's going to go for the Smile versions except for maybe "Wonderful".
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 02:27:51 AM »

no fair :/...the wonderful version on smiley smile is way more interesting and i find myself listening to it much more than the smile sessions version of it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 02:33:05 AM by Newguy562 » Logged
Bleachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 04:56:58 AM »

I love Wonderful and Wind Chimes from SS. And I always hated He Gives Speeches, but I kinda like She's Going Bald. I like the vocals from Fall Breaks, that's why I love TSS version.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 05:20:33 AM »

I love Wonderful and Wind Chimes from SS. And I always hated He Gives Speeches, but I kinda like She's Going Bald. I like the vocals from Fall Breaks, that's why I love TSS version.
u hate "he gives speeches" but kinda like "she's going bald"...the sped up part is just creepy and not listenable Razz lol
but i'm glad i'm not the only one that loves wonderful and wind chimes from smiley smile.
critics refer to this album as a "cult classic" does that means only us die hard beach boys fans like it?  Huh
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 05:26:09 AM »

Cool topic! The smiley smile sessions are available on the Unsurpassed Masters boots, very cool to hear how they built up Smiley Smile, I reckon that the tag to windchimes on SS is much better than the Smile version. But then again I do not treat SS as a downtuned diluted version of Smile but something completely independent of it, not worse just different. Smiley Smile is truly a great album and one of their top 5 albums. never before or since has band broken so completly from their original sound. I admire them for it. But one must  wonder why they didnt to like The Who did with the Lifehouse sessions and turned it into the 'Who's Next' album. This could also have been done in 1967 with smile, they coulda used the smile sessions as they wanted and filled the gaps without brian's input and still have had a great album with which to compete with The Beatles, it would prob gone top 5 US and nr 1 in UK and many other places. But it would never have been Brian and Van Dyke's Smile.                                                                                                                                       
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 05:30:02 AM »

The SS Wind Chimes is amazing. Wonderful, not so much.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 05:41:38 AM »

I'm so pleased things worked out as they did... we would not have had SS had S come out originally. And now we have both and what an unsurpassed (no pun intended) incredibly creative body of work from the band!!!

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
The Demon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 06:58:01 AM »

Cool topic! The smiley smile sessions are available on the Unsurpassed Masters boots, very cool to hear how they built up Smiley Smile, I reckon that the tag to windchimes on SS is much better than the Smile version. But then again I do not treat SS as a downtuned diluted version of Smile but something completely independent of it, not worse just different. Smiley Smile is truly a great album and one of their top 5 albums. never before or since has band broken so completly from their original sound. I admire them for it. But one must  wonder why they didnt to like The Who did with the Lifehouse sessions and turned it into the 'Who's Next' album. This could also have been done in 1967 with smile, they coulda used the smile sessions as they wanted and filled the gaps without brian's input and still have had a great album with which to compete with The Beatles, it would prob gone top 5 US and nr 1 in UK and many other places. But it would never have been Brian and Van Dyke's Smile.                                                                                                                                       

Great way to look at it.  I find people who hate Smiley Smile do so because it's not Smile, as opposed to hating Smiley Smile for what it is.  It's easy for a lot of fans to talk about Brian Wilson's "genius" until that "genius" creates something they don't understand.  As a fan, I'm grateful I have two great albums of roughly the same material.  That's a very novel approach to music and says way more to me about Brian's skills and artistic attitude than lists of session musicians or waxing technical about the intro to "California Girls" or some bit on "Pet Sounds."
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 07:39:24 AM »

My picks:

Heroes and Villains (Smile Sessions) 

Vega-Tables (Smile Sessions)  

Fall Breaks and Back to Winter ? ? ?

She's Goin Bald (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Love To Say Da Da (Smile Sessions)

Good Vibrations (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Wonderful (Smile Sessions)

Wind Chimes (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 11:43:04 AM »

Are they?

Smiley Smile Wind Chimes is the greatest thing ever recorded by anyone, ever, in the universe.

IMO
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »

Heroes and Villains (Smile Sessions)  vs.  Heroes and Villains (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

I like the Cantina version best. Unpredictable and zany. Finished single not zany enough.

Vega-Tables (Smile Sessions)  vs. Vegetables(Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Like 'em both. Smiley closer to initial attempt, but Smile version got the run alot do alot and a fine vocal from Al. I vote Smile.

Elements (Fire) vs. Fall Breaks and Back to Winter ? ? ?
I like the vide of Fall Breaks. Fire is cool, but Fall Breaks is food poisoning and seasonal affective disorder.

He Gives Speeches (Smile Sessions) vs. She's Goin Bald (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?

Speeches isn’t really a song. It’s just a fragment. Bald is the completion of said fragment. So I guess I’d rather have the finished product than a scrap of idea. So Bald wins.

Love To Say Da Da (Smile Sessions) vs. Little Pad (Smiley Smile) ? ? ? (I'm guessing they are both water songs.)
Unrelated songs, but I’d still take Little Pad over Dada and day of the week.

Wonderful (Smile Sessions) vs. Wonderful (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?
I’ve never heard a version of Wonderful I didn’t like (although Rock With Me Hendry  comes close). That said, I like pretty harpsichord yodel version best. My second favorite Beach Boys song.

Wind Chimes (Smile Sessions) vs. Wind Chimes (Smiley Smile) ? ? ?
I like the Smiley version a lot better. Like the vibe. The vocals. And the tag is heaven, of course.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »

you're right they created lifehouse..shelved it and created who's next which is a masterpiece Smiley..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:26:00 PM by Newguy562 » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 06:11:43 PM »

On Smiley the mix of H&V is better for the trombone and the snare.... wwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy better.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 06:53:44 PM »

Smiley's Wind Chimes is an incredible track. I'm reminded of a quote by Dennis from Byron Preiss's book:

"Smiley Smile...when we put that one out we almost double-dared anyone else to try and record anything like that. Take "Wind Chimes." People just don't sing like that."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »

Generally speaking, I love the f*** out of both versions/variations, but for very different reasons. Impossible for me to choose.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
TheManchesterMan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 05:08:02 PM »

Heroes and Villains: Smile Sessions version - many more interesting fragments and ideas in this version.

Vega-Tables: Smile Sessions version - as above.

Fall Breaks and Back to Winter - I do love Fire but it's the organ and the "Bom-bom" bass vocals that do it for me.

She's Goin Bald - always loved this one due to the group vocals.

Little Pad - Not keen on the opening but as soon as that slide guitar comes in it is heavenly.

Good Vibrations - It's basically the same song, but I'd go with the original. Not too much of a fan of the "humbedums" but I do like the extended outro on the new version.

Wonderful: Smile Sessions - The Smiley version does nothing for me.

Wind Chimes: I love the Smile chorus. I love the marimbas and the vocals. I also love the group vocals on Smiley and the outro in particular. It's a tie.

Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »

I have always enjoyed Smiley Smile.  It's as fun a 1967 stoner album as there is, and "Good Vibrations", "Wind Chimes", "Wonderful", and "Heroes And Villains" are pop masterpieces no matter how they're presented. 

That said, there's one thing that Smiley Smile can't give us--and that's a "Surf's Up".  And the world of music would be much poorer without it.

And I think of other SMiLE Sessions moments that have long been dear to my heart, such as the "Child Is Father Of The Man" sessions, "Holidays", "Look", "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"--and I must admit that I always thought "Fall Breaks And Back To Winter" was too much of a good little riff, and got boring about mid-way through.  That never happened with the original piece from which it descended.

"She's Goin' Bald" is funny as hell, and I have always loved it.  "He Gives Speeches" is more intriguing, though, and I love it about equally nowadays.

The middle section of "Wonderful" on Smiley is disturbing because of the chatter.  It has a sick, high school locker-room tone to it that is not at all appropriate for the song into which it intrudes.  That's one of the hardest things for me to take about Smiley Smile.  And yet, even that did not keep me from recognizing the greatness of the song when I first heard it.

Depending on my mood, I can find the Smiley version of "Wind Chimes" just as moving or even moreso than the original SMiLE version (which I also greatly love).  My first exposure to all of the SMiLE songs on SS was through SS itself, and the SS version of "Wind Chimes" is perhaps the albums's finest moment, in my estimation.  A true work of art.

My favorite version of "Heroes And Villains" doesn't exist except on a fan mix I made!  Nothing compares to it. 

I really like the original "Good Vibrations".  I think Brian made good choices all the way around--including the short outro.  But I don't mind the SMiLE Sessions version at all.  And there are some fan mix versions that I think are really cooking.

"Little Pad"--not special to me at all.

I'm sentimental about the Smiley version of "Vegetables", but to me nothing compares to the just-released "SMiLE Album Assembly" version.  It is far and away the best blending of all of the best elements of the recordings that has ever been put together.  I consider it the new "definitive" version.  Totally blown away with it.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »

I have always enjoyed Smiley Smile.  It's as fun a 1967 stoner album as there is, and "Good Vibrations", "Wind Chimes", "Wonderful", and "Heroes And Villains" are pop masterpieces no matter how they're presented. 

That said, there's one thing that Smiley Smile can't give us--and that's a "Surf's Up".  And the world of music would be much poorer without it.

And I think of other SMiLE Sessions moments that have long been dear to my heart, such as the "Child Is Father Of The Man" sessions, "Holidays", "Look", "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"--and I must admit that I always thought "Fall Breaks And Back To Winter" was too much of a good little riff, and got boring about mid-way through.  That never happened with the original piece from which it descended.

"She's Goin' Bald" is funny as hell, and I have always loved it.  "He Gives Speeches" is more intriguing, though, and I love it about equally nowadays.

The middle section of "Wonderful" on Smiley is disturbing because of the chatter.  It has a sick, high school locker-room tone to it that is not at all appropriate for the song into which it intrudes.  That's one of the hardest things for me to take about Smiley Smile.  And yet, even that did not keep me from recognizing the greatness of the song when I first heard it.

Depending on my mood, I can find the Smiley version of "Wind Chimes" just as moving or even moreso than the original SMiLE version (which I also greatly love).  My first exposure to all of the SMiLE songs on SS was through SS itself, and the SS version of "Wind Chimes" is perhaps the albums's finest moment, in my estimation.  A true work of art.

My favorite version of "Heroes And Villains" doesn't exist except on a fan mix I made!  Nothing compares to it. 

I really like the original "Good Vibrations".  I think Brian made good choices all the way around--including the short outro.  But I don't mind the SMiLE Sessions version at all.  And there are some fan mix versions that I think are really cooking.

"Little Pad"--not special to me at all.

I'm sentimental about the Smiley version of "Vegetables", but to me nothing compares to the just-released "SMiLE Album Assembly" version.  It is far and away the best blending of all of the best elements of the recordings that has ever been put together.  I consider it the new "definitive" version.  Totally blown away with it.

wow Smiley i'm speechless..u totally went track 2 track details..i like that
but u forgot to speak on "gettin hungry" :/
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »

wow Smiley i'm speechless..u totally went track 2 track details..i like that
but u forgot to speak on "gettin hungry" :/

Oh no, I didn't forget... Razz
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 03:27:14 AM »

Actually, with each one of  those comparisons, I prefer the Smiley Smile song, although I definitely enjoy both.  Lately, I've been listening to the Smiley Smile sessions (Unsurpassed Masters), and I have to say that I actually enjoy that more than the Smile Sessions...there's just a more relaxing fun vibe to the sessions and the album. 

Keep in mind that this is just a matter of taste...my favorite BB or BB-related albums are Friends and Orange Crate Art.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 05:11:22 AM »

Actually, with each one of  those comparisons, I prefer the Smiley Smile song, although I definitely enjoy both.  Lately, I've been listening to the Smiley Smile sessions (Unsurpassed Masters), and I have to say that I actually enjoy that more than the Smile Sessions...there's just a more relaxing fun vibe to the sessions and the album. 

Keep in mind that this is just a matter of taste...my favorite BB or BB-related albums are Friends and Orange Crate Art.
wow how did you get your hands on the smiley smile sessions? have you ever heard a song by them named "sandy"?
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »

This is an easy one. 

SMiLE versions on every single one, and not just because it's SMiLE.  The versions are just better and more inspired across the board.  I've tried to like SS Wonderful and Wind Chimes, but they remind me too much of drunk karaoke. 

I really don't understand this (recent) dislike for SMiLE Wonderful around here.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »

It's weird. I think that the Smile Sessions versions of all those songs are way, way better than the Smiley Smile versions. But as a whole, both albums work very well for me but on a different level. I have mixed emotions when I listen to The Smile Sessions. It's all brilliant and beautiful music, but it's so complex, so bizarre, so insane and trying so hard that it's also a bit painful to listen to. Smiley Smile isn't. Smiley Smile is always a joy. I love the mood of that album.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »

I find them to be like your children, made by the same people and different as all get out but equally lovable in their own right.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx