gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:16:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Father Loves Pet Sounds/Smile Sessions...My Mom Loves All Summer Long/Today ?  (Read 5100 times)
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »

My father loved the Beach Boys up until the point where they became "uncool" in the late 60's/early 70's. Then he sort of went through this phase where he didn't listen to them much until he attended the famous Grateful Dead concert at the Fillmore East with a couple of his friends. As many people on this board know, the Grateful Dead introduced their "California friends," the Beach Boys, and the crowd went wild. The Beach Boys were cool ever since. Since then he has loved them, although he definitely likes the Pet Sounds/Smile stuff and the material from afterwards a lot better than the early hits.

My mother only likes a few songs, particularly Good Vibrations.

Wow!  Shocked  How many can say that they were at that show t all? Should be interesting to hear more about his recollections of that show. Can you urge hime te become a member of this board ?  Smiley 

My father owns a copy of Steven Gains' book, Heroes and Villains: The True Story of the Beach Boys. The book originally came out in 1986, which was of course many years after that concert. There's a quote in the book that states that almost everyone in the audience was stoned out of their minds that night. I forget who says it. It might not be Gains, I think he's just quoting somebody who was there.

My father and his friends were not stoned that night. He says that he can't really make any definitive statements regarding whether every single person in the audience that night truly was stoned or tripping out on acid, but that it's probably safe to say that is an exaggeration.

I have shown my father this board before, and he does read it occasionally. He's more of a Kinks fan than a Beach Boys fan, even though he likes both bands a lot. He's definitely not as obsessive about the Beach Boys as I am, but I just spoke to him and he said he would join. So expect him to comment on this topic soon.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 10:09:27 AM »

I have shown my father this board before, and he does read it occasionally. He's more of a Kinks fan than a Beach Boys fan, even though he likes both bands a lot. He's definitely not as obsessive about the Beach Boys as I am, but I just spoke to him and he said he would join. So expect him to comment on this topic soon.

Very cool! Thanks for asking him.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 11:05:22 AM »

My mom likes the early hits, but isn't really aware of their post-66 output except for Kokomo. My dad hates the BBs with a passion, but also only knows the early hits. He uses the tired "BW sings like a girl, therefore the BBs are 'f@g$(homophobic slur/UK slang for cigarette)'" argument. He's kind of a macho guy, and I think was put off by the striped shirt/clean-cut image...and could have possibly been also put off by all the Brian's Back hype when he was a teenager.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »

My dad had a cd copy of Endless Summer I found when I was about 13 in 1991. Although, neither of my parents are big fans, they seem to like it ok. I took them to the Brian Wilson SMiLE concert and they seemed to enjoy it. They have heard BB music because I play it a lot. But I don't think either of them are really into it. My dad likes classical music, River Dance, Manheim Steemroller. My mom likes Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, and Christian praise and worship music. Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 01:44:14 PM »

My mother thinks that Brian plays with the Beach Boys, and "I Loves You, Porgy" bugs her, because it's supposed to be sung by a woman... police

...she's 80...

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 10:07:38 AM »

so i made my mom a CD of mostly ballads and she's been listening in her car.

"I love that CD! I didn't know they had so many slow songs!"

very satsifying  Smiley
Robert M
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2011, 07:42:55 AM »

My father loved the Beach Boys up until the point where they became "uncool" in the late 60's/early 70's. Then he sort of went through this phase where he didn't listen to them much until he attended the famous Grateful Dead concert at the Fillmore East with a couple of his friends. As many people on this board know, the Grateful Dead introduced their "California friends," the Beach Boys, and the crowd went wild. The Beach Boys were cool ever since. Since then he has loved them, although he definitely likes the Pet Sounds/Smile stuff and the material from afterwards a lot better than the early hits.

My mother only likes a few songs, particularly Good Vibrations.

Wow!  Shocked  How many can say that they were at that show t all? Should be interesting to hear more about his recollections of that show. Can you urge hime te become a member of this board ?  Smiley 

My father owns a copy of Steven Gains' book, Heroes and Villains: The True Story of the Beach Boys. The book originally came out in 1986, which was of course many years after that concert. There's a quote in the book that states that almost everyone in the audience was stoned out of their minds that night. I forget who says it. It might not be Gains, I think he's just quoting somebody who was there.

My father and his friends were not stoned that night. He says that he can't really make any definitive statements regarding whether every single person in the audience that night truly was stoned or tripping out on acid, but that it's probably safe to say that is an exaggeration.

There are two Beach Boys experiences at the Fillmore East that stand out in my mind. The first is their appearance as headliners in 1968 with Creedence as the opening act. I did not attend the show, but a friend was in attendance. At this point the Beach Boys had become "uncool" as the underground music scene was in full force. I asked my friend about the show and he replied that Creedence was great - the audience loved them - but the Beach Boys were booed by a hostile crowd. He dismissed the Beach Boys as passe and unhip.

Fast forward to April 1971. I'm attending a Grateful Dead late show at the same Fillmore East with two of my friends. As Scott mentioned previously, none of us were the least bit stoned (despite the report in Steven Gaines' book), and we were enjoying a typical ultra-long Grateful Dead late night show. The Dead late shows at the Fillmore started around 11:30 pm and often ran until the wee hours of the morning. My recall (40 years later) is that towards the end of the Dead set, Jerry Garcia (with no warning at all), announced that he'd like to introduce "another California band". The Beach Boys appear to resounding cheers, including mine. Getting a nod of approval from Garcia and the Dead instantly made the Beach Boys cool in the eyes of the partly stoned audience.

The Beach Boys played an excellent seven song set that included: Searchin, Riot In Ceil Block #9, Good Vibrations, I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Okie From Muskogee and Johnny B. Goode. The Dead came back onstage to join the Beach Boys near the end of the set, which further increased the Beach Boys' hip quotient. The bands played Okie From Muskogee and Johnny B. Goode together.

At the time it seemed like yet another fantastic evening at the Fillmore East, my all-time favorite concert venue, but it was actually an historic occasion that changed the image of the Beach Boys forever in the FM/underground world. It was great to see a band I had admired since the beginning become relevant again right before my eyes. 
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »

Robert, thanks for becoming a member of this board and taking the time to write some recollections of that time. Great to hear these stories from a time when most weren't even born yet. I certainly wished I could have been there to watch this gig.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »

Robert, thanks for becoming a member of this board and taking the time to write some recollections of that time. Great to hear these stories from a time when most weren't even born yet. I certainly wished I could have been there to watch this gig.

FYI you can listen to that entire concert here - http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/grateful-dead/concerts/fillmore-east-april-27-1971-set-2.html Jerry Garcia introduces the Beach Boys during the track, "Searchin'."
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »

Neither of my parents like the Beach Boys much... although they don't mind CATP and POB
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 03:08:49 AM »

Both my parents like the Beach Boys just fine but would be bemused at the level of my obsession.
They only had one BBs record in their collection. "Good harmonies" remarked my dad. My dad had never heard of Pet Sounds till the '80s- I surmise he was off travelling the world when it was released, thar's usually the explanation for gaps in his 60's pop knowledge. I think I managed to surprise him by playing him a late'60s album track once. "THIS is the Beach Boys?".

My mum likes me to play "Don't Worry Baby" and "Rhonda" for her on the acoustic guitar.

Please delete my account
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 11:08:25 PM »

HOLY CRAP I FEEL OLD READING THIS!!!! Your parents were the same age at the same time I was when I started listening to the Beach Boys (1973). It started because believe it or not, I had a crush on a girl named Rhonda. My brother handed me the Best Of Volume 2 and said listen to help me rhonda. I forgot the girl, I kept the music. Then I  heard Kiss Me Baby and Please Let Me Wonder. I was gone then!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx