gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:04:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Father Loves Pet Sounds/Smile Sessions...My Mom Loves All Summer Long/Today ?  (Read 5098 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »

Basically she loves all the hits and all the earlier stuff(also loves do it again)...and he loves all the transitional stuff (pet sounds/smile sessions)Smiley(completely opposites)
what does your parents think of the beach boys? do they love them...hate them?
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »

Well, now you know who is your favourite parent...

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »

Well, now you know who is your favourite parent...

lmfaooooooo.. My dad & I have a similar taste in music, he's the one who introduced me to bob dylan,marvin gaye,pink floyd, bob marley,the cure, etc.
My mom introduced me to the beach boys,beatles,the monkees,paul simon,the temptations Smiley
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »

Last year I burned my dad a copy of the "It's OK" TV special and he asked "is this before or after their voices got shitty?"

So he likes the earlier stuff I guess. My uncle went to school with Carl and seems to like all their stuff. It was through him I heard BWPS for the first time.

No mas, por favor.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »

Last year I burned my dad a copy of the "It's OK" TV special and he asked "is this before or after their voices got sh*tty?"

So he likes the earlier stuff I guess. My uncle went to school with Carl and seems to like all their stuff. It was through him I heard BWPS for the first time.
wow ur uncle is lucky as f***. seriously.
I'm planning to go to hawthorne to see their statue since it's only 10 minutes away Smiley
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 03:04:14 PM »

My father loved the Beach Boys up until the point where they became "uncool" in the late 60's/early 70's. Then he sort of went through this phase where he didn't listen to them much until he attended the famous Grateful Dead concert at the Fillmore East with a couple of his friends. As many people on this board know, the Grateful Dead introduced their "California friends," the Beach Boys, and the crowd went wild. The Beach Boys were cool ever since. Since then he has loved them, although he definitely likes the Pet Sounds/Smile stuff and the material from afterwards a lot better than the early hits.

My mother only likes a few songs, particularly Good Vibrations.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 03:08:34 PM »

My father loved the Beach Boys up until the point where they became "uncool" in the late 60's/early 70's. Then he sort of went through this phase where he didn't listen to them much until he attended the famous Grateful Dead concert at the Fillmore East with a couple of his friends. As many people on this board know, the Grateful Dead introduced their "California friends," the Beach Boys, and the crowd went wild. The Beach Boys were cool ever since. Since then he has loved them, although he definitely likes the Pet Sounds/Smile stuff and the material from afterwards a lot better than the early hits.

it's funny how most of the girls liked the hits and pre- pet sounds era Smiley goes to show that most women focus on radio play. My father is a huge music freak like me and i understand why he loves pet sounds/smile.
My mother didn't even care too much about "wouldn't it be nice" .."god only knows" but she likes "sloop john b" i was  disappointed but everyone has their own taste.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 03:25:10 PM »

My Dad doesn't like the band and thinks pet sounds and today are lame. My mom is obsessed with the Beatles.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 03:36:45 PM »

Our parents are kinda alike, SMiLE Brian

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 03:38:36 PM »

My Dad doesn't like the band and thinks pet sounds and today are lame. My mom is obsessed with the Beatles.
:/ damn...my mom is obssesed with them as well that's how i get into them so much.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 03:44:01 PM »

Our parents are kinda alike, SMiLE Brian
My Dad thought SMiLE was random sound effects, but liked Mike and Bruce live.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 04:06:35 PM »

My dad just doesn't get it, and thinks my obsession is a tad ridiculous. I got the Beach Boys, he got bland as hell 'world music', so to each his own.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 04:19:22 PM »

Most people I'm close to tell me "I used to think I liked the Beach Boys but now I know that I don't," ie even if they like some of the early hits they hate 95% everything else.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
GeorgeFellInHisHorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »

My mom is a general fan of the boys, nothing too serious. Dad was always a fan as well, but he passed on before I could really ask him about it, but his BB record collection included Wild Honey all the way through Sunflower, a couple greatest hits, and Mom says Carl was always his favorite beach boy.

Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »

My father listened to pet sounds and said "I guess this is their magnum opus." and i looked at him like you guessed right but check this out "smile sessions" and he said "Brian Wilson is a genius". :]
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 05:48:52 PM »

My mom likes the uptempo stuff but hates the ballads. My dad's not really interested in music.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »

My mom likes the uptempo stuff but hates the ballads. My dad's not really interested in music.
The same thing goes for my fam Smiley except my mom loves "dont worry baby".
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 12:03:46 AM »

My mom listens to new country (and HATES "Barbara Ann"), my dad listens to stone-age country, so neither are too appreciative of The Beach Boys.

I got into The Beach Boys pretty much on my own through movies and T.V. shows like Look Who's Talking (the 2nd one being where I took an early liking to John Lennon), Troop Beverly Hills, Home Improvement and (dun dun duuun) Full House. My fandom was secured when I was in 7th grade and my chorus did a Beach Boys medley for our spring concert.

After that I started collecting their albums and I don't think my parents have been sane since.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »

My mom has put up with my Beach Boys obsession for awhile now and in the course of it has actually turned out to be a real Brianista, haha! She says things like how the rest of the band/family took advantage of Brian and stifled him and so on. I get that though; I think everyone (or at least a lot of people) start out as Brianistas simply because, well... it's Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys and that conception of him and this group is the dominant historical narrative -- and we all know what it implies. I do gently try to disabuse her of her more strident opinions, noting that none of the other Beach Boys supported Dennis's rather quite (merely comparatively?) successful solo venture, that until the collapse of Smile at least (if not up until Sunflower) Brian basically did what he wanted in the studio and everyone eventually kowtowed to it, etc. So far it hasn't been met with too much success yet...

She does, however, think Brian -- past and presumably present -- is emotionally immature; a perpetual teenager. I don't think she's wrong and that is of course in some ways definitely not endearing. So she's not a huge fan of his lyrics for the most part, shall we say! I'm not sure what her favourite musical era is or if she even has one but I do know her favourite Beach Boys songs are, of all odd couples, "Farmer's Daughter" and "Ding Dang"! (She also really digs "Message Man" too, haha.)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 01:47:38 AM »

My mom has put up with my Beach Boys obsession for awhile now and in the course of it has actually turned out to be a real Brianista, haha! She says things like how the rest of the band/family took advantage of Brian and stifled him and so on. I get that though; I think everyone (or at least a lot of people) start out as Brianistas simply because, well... it's Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys and that conception of him and this group is the dominant historical narrative -- and we all know what it implies. I do gently try to disabuse her of her more strident opinions, noting that none of the other Beach Boys supported Dennis's rather quite (merely comparatively?) successful solo venture, that until the collapse of Smile at least (if not up until Sunflower) Brian basically did what he wanted in the studio and everyone eventually kowtowed to it, etc. So far it hasn't been met with too much success yet...

She does, however, think Brian -- past and presumably present -- is emotionally immature; a perpetual teenager. I don't think she's wrong and that is of course in some ways definitely not endearing. So she's not a huge fan of his lyrics for the most part, shall we say! I'm not sure what her favourite musical era is or if she even has one but I do know her favourite Beach Boys songs are, of all odd couples, "Farmer's Daughter" and "Ding Dang"! (She also really digs "Message Man" too, haha.)
A couple of my mom's  favorites include "farmer's daughter" as well..."do it again" and "lana".."i can hear music"..."do you wanna dance".."don't worry baby" & "i'm so young".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 02:47:04 AM »

Wow!  Shocked  How many can say that they were at that show t all? Should be interesting to hear more about his recollections of that show. Can you urge hime te become a member of this board ?  Smiley 

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »

oh jeez. i remember the first time i ever bought pet sounds (the mono and stereo combo with "Hang On to Your Ego" in the middle). i bought it with my dad at a bookstore. i put it in the car on the way home. My dad sang along with Wouldn't It Be Nice. Then came You Still Believe in Me. Then That's Not Me. No Reaction. Then there was Don't Talk. About half way through my dad yells, "What is this crap!? I want to hear the hits!" I reached for the eject button as quickly as i could. Very Upset. Since then I'm not really sure what my parents think of Pet Sounds. I know they definitely know of nothing concerning post Pet Sounds save MAYBE Sail On Sailor. I also remember after my 400th time listening to GOK and discovering that this was THE SONG, I told my mom to listen to it, and she was not moved at all by it. Yet, play Surfin' USA around her and she'll sing along. My parents don't really know music at all, and defintely are not music enthusiasts, so i don't think they really know anything of the Beach Boys other than the surf songs. Sad really.
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »

I don't think that women generally like the nuts and bolts of recorded music as much as men do.  My wife was an original Beatles fan club member, had all the British mono lps, eps, and singles, knows every lyric by heart, and loves the Beach Boys almost as much.  But she cannot listen to sessions and false starts and breakdowns and studio chatter without getting bored.  Even songs she loves, she just wants to hear the finished product.  Same with my sister- just play the hits.  I have one friend's wife who loves the Beatles Anthology series- but only complete songs she hadn't heard before- session stuff just does not interest her.  That said- my late father always liked the Beach Boys early car songs.  My mother liked Elvis...
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »

my Dad had a strange habit of picking ONE song he liked by any given band. He bought the early 80s medley 45 and that was the only Beach Boys music in my house growing up.  I heard it so many times that I still expect to hear the chorus of Help Me Rhonda come in at the end of Good Vibrations. weird how that medley kind of goes backward chronologically.

Mom is more of an "easy listener". she likes elevator music. she also likes Gershwin so I played her BWRG when it came out. she didn't like his voice at all.

I'm going to make her a CD of Beach Boy ballads and see if it does anything for her. not sure why I haven't done it before now. I might have given her Pet Sounds once, but it got no reaction from her.

I went to visit my girlfriend's father recently and he was a huge Beach Boy fan. He had every single original album, up to Pet Sounds. at that point he said it was just Brian Wilson "whining" and he stopped listening to them.  Undecided
The Madcap
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2011, 10:57:59 AM »

My mom is a fan, especially of Pet Sounds. She was the first person I heard talk about how great of an album it is. My dad and my sister dismiss them as surfing music, which they don't care for. I've heard my Grandpa say that they were probably his favorite band in college, and him and my Grandma saw Mike and Bruce a few years back.

A broken man too tough to cry
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx