gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680869 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:21:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A home on the range or 101 open topics for newbies and tolerant experts  (Read 11966 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2012, 06:54:18 AM »

If you go to your first post in this topic you can click on "Modify" and change the title. Or for that matter, modify all posts you made in that topic. Unfortunately it's not a garantee that future replies will continue to use that new title. But it's worth a try.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 02:24:24 PM »

If you go to your first post in this topic you can click on "Modify" and change the title. Or for that matter, modify all posts you made in that topic. Unfortunately it's not a garantee that future replies will continue to use that new title. But it's worth a try.

Yay, it worked  Cheesy Dank u voor alles, mijneer SMiLE-Holland

And now, just hoping we'll get more people to post here **our prayer playing in the background**

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

n00b  Tongue

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »

This is old and tedious for those who know me, so here's the Reader's Digest version: knowledge of BB pre-1975 was whatever was on UK radio (legal & pirate) then read Nick Kent's NME "Last Beach Movie" 3-parter in summer 1975. Hooked, as I loves me a good mystery. First album purchased: Pet Sounds. Mind duly blown, I set about getting hold of the rest. It's all good, but the big obsession is Smile. Engage a clippings agency and buy the books as they come out (that's how I've got some of the very rare ones - I was there at the time !). See advert for Beach Boys Stomp #1 in Sounds, May 1977 and subscribe. Write first article - about Smile, natch - for issue #5 later that year, meet John Tobler, get my first cassette of dubious origin. Head Stateside in 1981, meet Dennis, and in 1985 spend a day in the studio as the band (less Mike) mix the new album (Brian plays "Rhapsody" with me in the corner, jaw in lap: also meet VDP, SWD, Stevie Kalinich, Chuck Britz, Jasper Dailey). Do 1st ComGuide in 1997, go online in February 1998, steadily expand net of sources and contacts. The rest you know.

Little known fact about me: one of my other all-encompassing interests is late 18th/early 19th century cricket. Little suspected fact about me: in person, I'm (reportedly) a nice guy. There y'go, cover blown.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2012, 03:16:28 PM »

AUSGEZEICHNET!!!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »

Bless you.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »

This is old and tedious for those who know me, so here's the Reader's Digest version: knowledge of BB pre-1975 was whatever was on UK radio (legal & pirate) then read Nick Kent's NME "Last Beach Movie" 3-parter in summer 1975. Hooked, as I loves me a good mystery. First album purchased: Pet Sounds. Mind duly blown, I set about getting hold of the rest. It's all good, but the big obsession is Smile. Engage a clippings agency and buy the books as they come out (that's how I've got some of the very rare ones - I was there at the time !). See advert for Beach Boys Stomp #1 in Sounds, May 1977 and subscribe. Write first article - about Smile, natch - for issue #5 later that year, meet John Tobler, get my first cassette of dubious origin. Head Stateside in 1981, meet Dennis, and in 1985 spend a day in the studio as the band (less Mike) mix the new album (Brian plays "Rhapsody" with me in the corner, jaw in lap: also meet VDP, SWD, Stevie Kalinich, Chuck Britz, Jasper Dailey). Do 1st ComGuide in 1997, go online in February 1998, steadily expand net of sources and contacts. The rest you know.

Little known fact about me: one of my other all-encompassing interests is late 18th/early 19th century cricket. Little suspected fact about me: in person, Grin I'm (reportedly) a nice guy. There y'go, cover blown.  Grin

I can only but say, thank you so much for sharing such a cool story Grin

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »

If you guys want to know my story, it's a little amusing and petty.

So I knew a few of the surf hits already, and I really liked them. I loved California Girls. so this is 2003, I guess. I was just about to turn 16. I started watching a show on TV that I became obsessed with. Batman. Like, the live action show from the sixties starring Adam West. I became completely completely obsessed with the show. I wanted to immerse myself in that world. so this was June 2003, and I decided to get a few albums that were from June 1966. I looked it up, and two of the albums that were released in June 1966 were Pet Sounds and Revolver. I listened to those albums nonstop in between watching the four episodes of Batman that aired on TV Land daily.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pied Piper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »

It was May and August, but 1966 is a great year to look
into, and Batman is a fine way to start. Check out Hal Lifson's
1966! and Modesty Blaise, possibly the most 1966 film imaginable.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »

Thanks everyone for sharing all those great stories, cool stuff  Grin

I was away from the board for some days, too much work at the office. Normally I walk from my house to work, one of the advantages of living in downtown Montreal, you can walk! Except when is -30 Celsius outside...anyways...

One morning I was walking to work and I was listening on my iPod to the BBs first TV show in Britain, the Ready-Steady-Go one. One of the songs they play there is When I Grow Up, the one version where they have that false start. And to be honest, I love this recording and listen to it almost daily...know it by heart, know the answers from Mike (Surfing, what do you mean? Surfing is a sport  Smiley ) and Brian...the screams from the girls, the guitar sounds....the whole thing!

But that particular morning, I don't know what happened and something clicked inside my head when listening to this particular song. I don't know how to explain it, its like I heard something I hadn't heard before, something so innocent and beautiful...that brought tears to my eyes  Cry

The emotional punch was complete then when my random BBs playlist chose Surfs Up...the Brian tv solo version...the contrast was so stark, so deep and profound! Innocence vs. Angst musically expressed in less than 5 mins!

Sorry guys, don't know if this post makes any sense, but I figured if there's anyone that could understand this feeling it would be someone here, in this board.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »

I was away from the board for some days, too much work at the office. Normally I walk from my house to work, one of the advantages of living in downtown Montreal, you can walk! Except when is -30 Celsius outside...anyways...

One morning I was walking to work and I was listening on my iPod to the BBs first TV show in Britain, the Ready-Steady-Go one. One of the songs they play there is When I Grow Up, the one version where they have that false start. And to be honest, I love this recording and listen to it almost daily...know it by heart, know the answers from Mike (Surfing, what do you mean? Surfing is a sport  Smiley ) and Brian...the screams from the girls, the guitar sounds....the whole thing!

But that particular morning, I don't know what happened and something clicked inside my head when listening to this particular song. I don't know how to explain it, its like I heard something I hadn't heard before, something so innocent and beautiful...that brought tears to my eyes  Cry

The emotional punch was complete then when my random BBs playlist chose Surfs Up...the Brian tv solo version...the contrast was so stark, so deep and profound! Innocence vs. Angst musically expressed in less than 5 mins!

Sorry guys, don't know if this post makes any sense, but I figured if there's anyone that could understand this feeling it would be someone here, in this board.

Cool story Smiley, Brian's music is some of the most emotional and heartfelt music out there.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2012, 09:22:55 AM »

Cool story Smiley, Brian's music is some of the most emotional and heartfelt music out there.

Thanks Smiley

You know I was thinking, a real BB Best of mix should have songs ordered in an emotional way....mmm....let me explain: instead of ordering the songs in terms of release date or single chronology, there should be a running order based on comparing or doing a side-by-side analysis of Brian's emotional output.

Just imagine a song like Fun, Fun, Fun next to Till I die? Or SU following something like I Get Around....you know what I mean?

What would be the best song listing in emotional order? Any ideas?

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx