gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:23:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A home on the range or 101 open topics for newbies and tolerant experts  (Read 11934 times)
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2011, 12:40:25 AM »

Hi there, so far everyone has being really nice to me and I've felt welcomed when I've posted. But I know that some of my questions or comments may be old topics and that the veterans of this board (and other boards) may find them boring and over-discussed.

Having said that, I wanted to start a thread just for newbies  Smiley  this is nonetheless open to everyone and I would love to hear the opinion from all sides of the spectrum.

So, I wanted to start by saying that Pet Sounds is my all time favorite album ever and that Wouldnt it be Nice is my favorite BBs song. If you've read my signature, those lines sum up the beauty, the innocence that drove me into loving this band and Brian in particular. Hell, I even respect Mike Love for singing that part, he really does a great job there!

Have you ever been in a situation where the only thing left is to pray, wish, hope that something would work out? Specially when talking about a relationship? I've been there and the first time I heard this song, I connected to it in such a way that amazes me still to this day.

Anyone else has a line that really touched him/her in this manner?

Feel free to answer whatever you want to answer. To be able to share my thoughts with more people is beyond cool Smiley
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 02:22:28 PM by schiaffino » Logged

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
GoGators1
Smiley Smile Newbie

Early fan attempt to mix stereo Good Vibrations

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »

From "The Warmth of the Sun," "The love of my life, she left me one day..."  I can vividly remember...it was Christmas Eve Eve, a bright moon where I could see her breath on that cold evening as she told me.  Her name, believe it or not, was Rhonda.  My friends in high school would sing, "Help Me, Rhonda," as we started going out.  Indeed she was the love of my life.  Probably my favorite melody to a Beach Boys song, "The Warmth of the Sun."

Beat 'em or burn 'em, they go up pretty easy.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »

David Leaf makes the point in his liner notes to the Good Vibrations box set that one of the greatest things about Brian Wilson/Beach Boy music is the way it makes you feel. That's one of the things that sets the Beach Boys apart from other bands in my opinion. Whether it's being taken away to sunny California or listening to the angst and emotion of Caroline No, no other group can do that like the Beach Boys can.

I can't really recall a situation that was so dire, all I could do was hope that it worked out in the end. But that hasn't stopped me from being captivated and comforted by the music. Sometimes on days where I just am not feeling happy or am feeling stressed, I listen to some Pet Sounds or some Beach Boy music and all of a sudden, things are okay. Cool
GoGators1
Smiley Smile Newbie

Early fan attempt to mix stereo Good Vibrations

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 10:32:53 AM »

Oh yeah, from "Caroline, No!"  "It's so sad to watch a sweet thing die..."  Man, oh man!

Beat 'em or burn 'em, they go up pretty easy.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »

From No-Go Showboat:
When it comes to speed, man, I'm just out of luck
I'm even shut down by the ice cream truck
-That line just gets me every time.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »

Oh yeah, from "Caroline, No!"  "It's so sad to watch a sweet thing die..."  Man, oh man!

Yeah, that line gets me every time. It's positively heart wrenching the way Brian sings that.
Jarethon
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »

From 'Let Him Run Wild' which is my current obsession:

"And now that you don't need him
 Well he can have his freedom"

That rhyme is BRILLIANT! It makes me proud to speak English.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »

I am no newbie but just wanna say - YOUR ENTHUSIASM KICKS ARSE AND I LOVE THIS THREAD.

tis the season, right   Beer

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 05:14:05 PM »

David Leaf makes the point in his liner notes to the Good Vibrations box set that one of the greatest things about Brian Wilson/Beach Boy music is the way it makes you feel. That's one of the things that sets the Beach Boys apart from other bands in my opinion.

2 great opinions, thanks, Scott M - For me, the BB's at their best match introspective lyrics with evocative moody music and vocals (whether it be an up mood or a mellow mood).

Anyway, schiaffino, the way Dennis sings "I wanted to hold her, I just let her go" on Angel Come Home, always kicks my ass, while lyrically "the character" in the song (not Dennis, he didn't write it) is taking stock and regretting his mistakes; which is a place where some of us may have been, once, perhaps twice (max)  Smiley 

I also find "Busy Doin' Nothin'" is a great one to chill out to, as required.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »

Thanks Hypehat  Smiley and it's great to see so many replies in this thread!

Aside from WIBN, another top song for me is I Get Around. I know that it's super commercial, but whenever I hear Brian's lead in the verse, it makes me smile and I feel happy, positive! Have you seen the video with the famous clapping by Dennis? Look at Brian, how much he's enjoying himself...that's another moment that does it for me everyday!

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »

Nice choices Alholio71, I specially enjoy Busy doing Nothin', though I've always wandered how Brian came up with bossanova foe this song. Why and how? And I'm guessing is Carl the one playing the guitar there, right? What an amazing guitar player he was...

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »

Thanks for commenting ScottM  Smiley

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 01:02:19 AM »

Nice choices Alholio71, I specially enjoy Busy doing Nothin', though I've always wandered how Brian came up with bossanova foe this song. Why and how? And I'm guessing is Carl the one playing the guitar there, right? What an amazing guitar player he was...

I'm way too scared to categorically say "No, it wasn't Carl" but David Leaf's liner notes from the Friends/20-20 twofer says; "Busy Doin Nothin'" was one of at least a half-dozen cuts that Brian produced during the Friends sessions on which he utilized outside musicans as he had during his 1964-1966 heyday".

So, I'm gonna tend towards it wasn't Carl - the playing has a certain finese that I think a (totally awesome) rock guitarist like Carl couldn't provide at that stage of his career (perhaps he could, I don't know), but that's ok- instead, we get to hear the beauty of a Brian Wilson solo outing as per Caroline, No.

As to why a Bossanova beat, dunno, although it strikes me that BW may have been getting back to the basics of working within various musicial parameters post Smile Sessions, as opposed to pushing the envelope. Similar tp Lennon's pursuit of the Blues on post Pepper's productions.  We also hear waltz styles used on Friends, which were continued through to Time to get Alone on 20/20.

BTW, I think "Fun, Fun, Fun" is a great one to lift the spirits, up there with I Get Around  Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 12:12:34 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 12:51:38 AM »

Sorry, not a newbie, but just wanted to confirm Alholio71's response that, apart (probably) from Brian Wilson on keyboards, no other Beach Boys feature on the instrumental track.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 07:20:13 AM »

Sorry, not a newbie, but just wanted to confirm Alholio71's response that, apart (probably) from Brian Wilson on keyboards, no other Beach Boys feature on the instrumental track.

Oh ok...I've always been confused regarding the involvement of outside musicians in BBs records after Smile. Thanks for the clarification!

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 05:47:14 PM »

Speaking of BBs studio playing after PS-Smile, I've read they recorded most of SmileySmile at Brian's Bel-Air house. My question: they did the music for Winter Simphony? Or was it a track kept from previous sessions?

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 07:13:56 PM »

David Leaf makes the point in his liner notes to the Good Vibrations box set that one of the greatest things about Brian Wilson/Beach Boy music is the way it makes you feel. That's one of the things that sets the Beach Boys apart from other bands in my opinion. Whether it's being taken away to sunny California or listening to the angst and emotion of Caroline No, no other group can do that like the Beach Boys can.

I can't really recall a situation that was so dire, all I could do was hope that it worked out in the end. But that hasn't stopped me from being captivated and comforted by the music. Sometimes on days where I just am not feeling happy or am feeling stressed, I listen to some Pet Sounds or some Beach Boy music and all of a sudden, things are okay. Cool

This makes me think, I've told this story before, but now it has an ending...

I once had a friend (yes, a girl) who I was best friends with for 4 years, in the summer of the 4th year we were talking and
things started to go wrong.

She stopped talking to me... I turned to Pet Sounds.

Christmas Day, this year, I got the SMiLE Box, I had texted her "Merry Christmas" expecting no response, after 7 months of the silent treatment.
I put SMiLE on the turntable, and as it began to spin, she answered me, I called her, we talked, it seems we're finally friends again...

So yes, the music is magical in a way.

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »

From No-Go Showboat:
When it comes to speed, man, I'm just out of luck
I'm even shut down by the ice cream truck
-That line just gets me every time.

It has me since about, oh, 48 years ago.  Speaks right to the heart of things - which was summer in LA in the early 60's.  Reminds me the Boys were just kids like us (well, obviously we weren't just like them . . .).
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 11:23:26 PM »

I once had a friend (yes, a girl) who I was best friends with for 4 years, in the summer of the 4th year we were talking and

Christmas Day, this year, I got the SMiLE Box, I had texted her "Merry Christmas" expecting no response, after 7 months of the silent treatment.
I put SMiLE on the turntable, and as it began to spin, she answered me, I called her, we talked, it seems we're finally friends again...

That's a GREAT story, you could weave a song out of that one! Smiley

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 06:12:58 AM »

Amazing story  Smiley

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 09:47:42 AM »

One quick question, if you wanna get someone into liking the BBs, what song(s) would you choose?

I've had the tendency to always try to use the more sensitive songs (WIBN) or the complex ones (Surf's up, DYLW) to show that the band was more than Surfing USA or Fun, Fun, Fun... Not that there's anything wrong with that  Cool but you know, when you're a fan and you want to convince others, you kind of aim high, no?

What do you think? What songs have you used? This could be a nice thread  Smiley

myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »

One quick question, if you wanna get someone into liking the BBs, what song(s) would you choose?

I've had the tendency to always try to use the more sensitive songs (WIBN) or the complex ones (Surf's up, DYLW) to show that the band was more than Surfing USA or Fun, Fun, Fun... Not that there's anything wrong with that  Cool but you know, when you're a fan and you want to convince others, you kind of aim high, no?

What do you think? What songs have you used? This could be a nice thread  Smiley

I think there are two types of Beach Boy fans, the ones that like the more emotional, complex stuff, and the more casual fans who like the Fun Fun Fun or Kokomo types of songs. You really never know what type of song they will like or what kind of fan they will be, but I agree that if you really want to get them into the BB you should probably show them the more emotional songs.

Emotional songs that I think newbies might like are Don't Worry Baby, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, etc. I might start there and see what happens.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »

Thanks, it inspired me to write my opera, "Verity" a while ago... but I'm planing on re-vamping the idea to new heights with this new "twist" :D

schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »

I think there are two types of Beach Boy fans, the ones that like the more emotional, complex stuff, and the more casual fans who like the Fun Fun Fun or Kokomo types of songs. You really never know what type of song they will like or what kind of fan they will be, but I agree that if you really want to get them into the BB you should probably show them the more emotional songs.

Emotional songs that I think newbies might like are Don't Worry Baby, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations, etc. I might start there and see what happens.

Thanks Scott  Smiley

I've been struggling with the idea of 2 types of BBs fans. The more I listen to the old tunes (ex. pre-Today!) the more I find this complexity that's covered in an air of musical simplicity. Maybe some listeners will only focus in the lyrics, which is sth obvious when first getting into the BBs but the moment you shift your attention to the music...man...even stuff like Fun, Fun, Fun has so many things going on, the complexity of the voice blend, the dynamics of the song...

I don't know about Kokomo, that was mainly arranged by outsiders, but most of the fun-in-the-sun songs have such an intensity in their music...I just wish I could help new people grasp that, pass Mike's stupid lyrics in California Girls and just listen to the chord progressions, breaks...not even mentioning the intro  Smiley

Maybe I should show people the instrumental tracks? But then I would miss the voice layers...

myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:22 PM »

One thing Beach Boy music absolutely cannot be described as is "simple." I absolutely hate it when people try and pass off their music as "simple, fun in the sun surf rock."

My point is that in my experience, some are more drawn to the harder rocking surf songs, while others can be more attracted to the more emotionally resonant stuff. I personally love both, but I definitely find that some casual fans can often prefer the less deep (lyrically speaking), more harder rocking-type stuff. You never really know what they're going to like. But it's all absolutely beautiful music.

With that being said, you can always try both. Smiley

I wouldn't go the route of showing them instrumentals. The Beach Boys are the best vocal group of all time (IMO). You've got to show them some stuff that shows off their beautiful, complex harmonies.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx