gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:08:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What is their strongest post-Pet Sounds Album? (1967-1977)
Smiley Smile
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Carl and the Passions "So Tough"
Holland
15 Big Ones
Love You

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is their strongest post-Pet Sounds album? (1967-1977)  (Read 25170 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 03:08:06 AM »

I admire pretty much everything Bruce has ever done. Very overlooked and underated composer in the BB universe.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 03:20:03 AM »

It's interesting to note that with all the crap 20/20 gets, it peaked at #3 in UK, on of the few top 5 albums for the group in UK (PS #2, party #3). So they must have done something right with 20/20.

Yea Deidre must be Bruce Johnstons best song? I can't believe "I write the songs" went no.1. Awful song.  Smiley
Deidre has a lot of BW in the background giving it a pretty hefty lift - Disney Girls is probably the best of Bruce as Bruce  (if not Hey Little Cobra  Smiley)

Oh yeah I didn't realize BW co-wrote Deidre, that explain alot of it.

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2011, 04:26:44 AM »

It's interesting to note that with all the crap 20/20 gets, it peaked at #3 in UK, on of the few top 5 albums for the group in UK (PS #2, party #3). So they must have done something right with 20/20.

Well, go figure. 3 singles appear on this album:
Do It Again: #1
Bluebirds: #33
I Can Hear Music: #10

In Europe the group's popularity was at his height in 1969. These three songs were big hits in most countries here, especially DIA and ICHM. So logically 20/20 did well on the charts as well.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2011, 05:07:25 AM »

In order+major solo works and productions
Sunflower
Wild Honey
Pacific Ocean Blue
Spring
20/20
Friends
Holland
Surf's Up
The Flame
Smiley
So Tough
Live In London
In Concert
15 Big Ones-The worst is worse than much of Love You but it by default has more songs I like.
Love You-Not without value but I still don't enjoy much of it after 23 years of hearing it. I think the best of it and the best of Adult Child would have been cool.
Beached-Ricci Martin LP produced by Carl. Not terrific but it is better than Carl's solo LP's.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2011, 07:21:35 AM »

Brian wrote like five words of lyrics for Deirdre to get the co-writer credit.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2011, 07:47:37 AM »

Listen to "We're Together Again".... again.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2011, 07:53:06 AM »

Surf's up  Smiley all the way, any album that has Till I Die followed by SU is top on my list...although I also have a soft spot for Friends, like most people here.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2011, 08:15:21 AM »

No surprise that Sunflower stands out so much on the poll.  It's the most cohesive, satisfying album after PS.  I can never understand how it charted so badly.

If the rest of their 70s albums coulda stacked up to the content of Sunflower.....all I could say is wow!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »

What's so annoying is the hot streak could have continued after Holland. Consider the material they had lying around in 1976 if you will,

River Song
Rainbows
Angel Come Home
Don't Fight The Sea
California Feeling
Good Timin'
Pacific Ocean Blues

That's nearly an albums worth of cracking tunes right there, instead they put out the schlockfest that was 15 Big Ones.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »

I think '20/20' actually contains some of the group's best work ... but the problem with this album (and 'So Tough') is that it doesn't feel very 'united' as an album. 

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »

Although Friends and Love You are my two favorite albums, Friends is too short, and Love You's lyrics are very weak. Wild Honey, 20/20 and Surfs Up are all full of great songs, but all contain a cover song or 3. Smiley is unique, but perhaps a bit lazy to be the best. So Tough and Sunflower are full of good songs, but nothing great. 15 Big One's sucks!!

So that leaves Holland. It rocks as much as So Tough (Sail On Sailor, Funky Pretty), it has some nice Smile - ish moments (California Saga), Proggressive classic rock like you hear on Surfs Up (Steam Boat, Leaving this Town, Trader), a beautiful ballad (Only With You) along with some Brian etcentric Friends/Love You type stuff (Funky Pretty, Mt Vernon).

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2011, 12:41:19 PM »

I've gotta say my top 5 would be...

1. Surf's Up (LPR, ADITLOAT, TID and Surf's Up are amazing.)
2. Sunflower ( If only for "Tears")
3. 20/20 (I went to sleep is incredible)
4. SMiLEY SMiLE (H&V AND GV!?!? COUNT ME IN!)
5. Friends (Little Bird and BDN)

NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2011, 05:03:36 PM »

I think '20/20' actually contains some of the group's best work ... but the problem with this album (and 'So Tough') is that it doesn't feel very 'united' as an album. 

That's how I feel in a way, which sort of makes my vote for it as my favorite "album" a little odd. When it's all said and done, I really like (almost) all the songs, and some of them stand out for me more than the individual cuts I like on the other albums on the list. Unfortunately, for me, it all sort of fell apart album-wise after Pet Sounds.  Lots of good songs, that for me would comprise about 1/3 as many albums as were issued.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »

I'd vote for Sunflower

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Reverend Rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »

I'd vote for Sunflower

As would I, without hesitation or qualification.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »

Hi Aegir - what about the vox and the arrangement;  Brian's involved in the backing vocals, did he also provide some bedroom pointers re the track?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »

Seriously?

This is where Brian worship gets ridiculous!

The song (Deirdre) is Bruce's: Bruce sat down at the piano and wrote the damn thing and Brian contributed a few words and Bruce gave him co-writing credit just because. We're Together Again is Brian's song: HE sat down at the piano and wrote it, and it has a chorus and a verse: more than just a few words. When is it OK in The Beach Boys world to give a guy a damn pat on the back for doing something great without having to convince oneself that Brian just HAD to be responsible in some way?

A few words from Brian means it must be genius? Mike wrote tons of words, ALL the words for many songs and he still sucks, right?

It's sooooooooooo silly!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:43:51 PM by Erik H » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2011, 12:51:23 AM »

Seriously?

The song (Deirdre) is Bruce's: Bruce sat down at the piano and wrote the damn thing and Brian contributed a few words and Bruce gave him co-writing credit just because. We're Together Again is Brian's song: HE sat down at the piano and wrote it, and it has a chorus and a verse: more than just a few words. When is it OK in The Beach Boys world to give a guy a damn pat on the back for doing something great without having to convince oneself that Brian just HAD to be responsible in some way?

A few words from Brian means it must be genius? Mike wrote tons of words, ALL the words for many songs and he still sucks, right?

It's sooooooooooo silly!

Cool, an interesting comment, Erik H, I find it to be a bit of a grey area.  

Doe and Tobler's '04 - Complete guide says "Deirdre (Johnston/B. Wilson) - Developed from a musical theme first used in 'We're Togerther Again', Bruce Johnston delivers his first fully realised Beach Boys song..." and Timothy White says "Brian and Bruce Johnston penned the dazzling "Deirdre" (liner notes and book) - Timohty White also recounts (book) "Brian was a recommitted participant, working happily during 1969 to help the band amass approximately four dozen tracks"

Then the SF/SU liners quote Brian with "Loved it...One of my very favourites.  I thought Bruce's harmonies were beautiful - harmonic genius."

Perhaps we do need to give Bruce his dues for nailing it and pull back on the Brian thing.  And then ask what the heck was goin' on with the version of Deirdre on Going Public  LOL

« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:13:33 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2011, 01:08:50 AM »

WHY DO SO MANY BB FANS HATE "BLUEBIRDS OVER THE MOUNTAIN" ? :/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2011, 01:52:43 AM »

Seriously?

The song (Deirdre) is Bruce's: Bruce sat down at the piano and wrote the damn thing and Brian contributed a few words and Bruce gave him co-writing credit just because. We're Together Again is Brian's song: HE sat down at the piano and wrote it, and it has a chorus and a verse: more than just a few words. When is it OK in The Beach Boys world to give a guy a damn pat on the back for doing something great without having to convince oneself that Brian just HAD to be responsible in some way?

It's sooooooooooo silly!

Cool, an interesting comment, Erik H, I find it to be a bit of a grey area. 

Doe and Tobler's '04 - Complete guide says "Deirdre (Johnston/B. Wilson) - Developed from a musical theme first used in 'We're Togerther Again', Bruce Johnston delivers his first fully realised Beach Boys song..." and Timothy White says "Brian and Bruce Johnston penned the dazzling "Deirdre" (liner notes and book) - Timohty White also recounts (book) "Brian was a recommitted participant, working happily during 1969 to help the band amass approximately four dozen tracks"

Then the SF/SU liners quote Brian with "Loved it...One of my very favourites.  I thought Bruce's harmonies were beautiful - harmonic genius."

Perhaps we do need to give Bruce his dues for nailing it and pull back on the Brian thing. And then ask what the heck was goin' on with the version of Deirdre on Going Public  LOL

That's obvious, he didn't have Brian's golden touch to guide him second time 'round.  Wink

Mainly because it's sh*t.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:54:13 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

MBE
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2011, 01:55:14 AM »

Ron Wilson not Brian Wilson wrote We're Together Again. For what it's worth I surmise the parts Brian sings co-lead on are what he wrote. Not half but not 5 percent either. Bruce was exaggerating.
Paulos
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2011, 02:21:21 AM »

Speaking for myself I find it jarring and annoying, not Bruce's fault as I don't like any version of the song. The coda, however is great.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2011, 02:49:20 AM »

I don't hate it. But IMO, it's a childish song, and although I usually love loud distorted guitars I just don't think they belong on Beach Boys records.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2011, 05:12:03 AM »

I don't hate it. But IMO, it's a childish song, and although I usually love loud distorted guitars I just don't think they belong on Beach Boys records.
:/ i'm the only that likes it.
MBE
« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2011, 06:40:54 AM »

It's not bad but they were so good at the time that it just wasn't quite up to par. I do like it quite a bit compared to say anything after 1979
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx