gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:54:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: What is their strongest post-Pet Sounds Album? (1967-1977)
Smiley Smile
Wild Honey
Friends
20/20
Sunflower
Surf's Up
Carl and the Passions "So Tough"
Holland
15 Big Ones
Love You

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is their strongest post-Pet Sounds album? (1967-1977)  (Read 25000 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2011, 01:50:23 AM »

Where's the love for 15 Big Ones? Shrug

Yeah no kidding!  Fascinating results here.  Since posting this poll and reading people's responses I've been revisiting most of these albums again. Particularly Friends after seeing how well it was doing in the voting.  I must say that I had forgotten most of this album and was pleasantly surprised what I found and have a new respect for it. 

I also found more love for 20/20....an album that doesn't seem to be represented well in the polls here!  I actually prefer 20/20 over Friends by a small margin.  But either way, I walked away with a reminder of just how great these albums were.

Here's my revised list:

1 Smiley Smile
2 Sunflower
3 Carl and the Passions So Tough
4 Surf's Up
5 20/20
6 Friends
7 Love You
8 Holland
9 15 Big Ones
10 Wild Honey

Looks like I gotta relook at Wild Honey now!
20/20 has better cuts on it than friends Smiley..it might be mis-matched but still.
i cnt believe u put wild honey at the bottom :'/ (eyes becoming tearful) lol..
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 03:17:27 AM »

Sunflower.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 03:26:38 AM »

What kills Wild Honey for me is how poor the production and engineering is for much of the album.  OK, so it was clear Brian was not willing to spend too much time on getting everything perfect but don't forget they had Bruce on board as a full fledged member by this point and he was already a very accomplished producer. I think it could have definitely benefited from his polishing up some of the material, hell he could have even got Terry Melcher involved perhaps.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 04:04:47 AM »

1 Friends
2 Love You
3 Wild Honey
4 Smiley Smile

These first four I could easily put in a different order, they're all great albums, full of charm and originality, rich in character. They all pick me up and take me to a good place. These album show a Beach Boys that weren't competing with anyone but were effortlessly making music that was really different, full of quirky twists. Brian had given up the production race but in doing so he seemed to have invented a new art that was more personal. I also love all their covers.

5 Surf's Up

This album has some great tracks on it Until I die, A Day in the Life of a Tree, Feel Flows & Long Promised Road. These tracks alone make me rate it so highly. I don't really give it credit now for Surf's Up as the proper home for that is BWPS and TSS though Carl did do a nice job of it. The rest is only OK, so it just seems too uneven to be a really satisfying album.

6 Carl and the Passions So Tough
I love Marcella, Mess of Help, All this is that and the rest is good, it is a pretty even album and a very different direction, as others have said this with Holland is almost another band, but its a good band. 

7 Holland
I find this a bit more uneven than the previous album, but some great stuff Sail on Sailor and Trader particularly, Magic Transistor Radio is also really charming.

8 Sunflower
This has got three gems on it, This Whole World, Add some music and Forever, maybe I should rate it higher for them. But the rest of the album seems too watery, its kind of consistent but lacks vitality.

9 15 Big Ones

There is some charm to this, and i like the oldies on it, maybe it helped them get to Love You, it is weird and I do like weird.

10 20/20

This is more a collection of diverse songs than an album, Do it Again is a nice track, I went to Sleep is pretty cool, Never Learn not to Love is pretty good but the vibe is made rather fraught by being written by a mass murderer, Be With Me is good. I can Hear Music has a great lead vocal in places, but i find the arrangement lacking. Time to Get Alone is nice. The Smile tracks are obviously great, but they're Smile tracks not 20/20 tracks. Maybe I should have rated this higher.

Still all of these albums are worthwhile, something I wouldn't say about the ones that followed.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 04:10:47 AM »

Surf's Up... and Friends and Holland and Sunflower... and Wild Honey!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 04:15:25 AM »

Another vote for Surf's Up,  but it depends on the day.  I could listen to Wild Honey until the cows come home.  Only CATP and 15 BO come up short, particularly the latter thanks to its schizophrenic approach - I would've preferred an album of oldies to the half-assed mess we got.

Honk! Honk!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 05:22:59 AM »

Carl & The Passions: So Tough is the one I've been consistently playing over and over (besides TSS) for a couple of years now. Thus it gets my vote. The only album I don't care for in that time frame is 15 Big Ones. I find Wild Honey suffers from a sound quality point of view (hoping that gets corrected with a new stereo mix) and I find that LA (I know it's post '77) is very underrated.
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »

I picked Sunflower barely over Friends.

This is me too. 

"I experimented myself right out of action."
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2011, 06:45:16 AM »

First post!!!!  Grin Surf's Up. It wasn't even really a hard decision for me. But hey, I'm the guy who like Student Demonstration Time. Here's my order:

1. Surf's Up
2. Smiley Smile
3. Sunflower
4. Wild Honey/Friends/Love You (i can't pick between these, but i know they are somewhere between sunflower and 20/20 for me)
5. 20/20
6. Holland
7. Carl and the Passions (i hate putting this last cuz it makes it seem like i don't like it, but i think its great, just not as memorable, same with holland)
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2011, 07:43:07 AM »

Friends. To me it's their third masterpiece along with Pet Sounds and Smile.
Muntjac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2011, 08:26:39 AM »

Friends! Great production and songs, the mellow, laid back feel continues throughout making It just as cohesive as pet sounds. The only song I skip Is transcendental meditation but thats at the end of the album so It doesn't really kill the flow. I don't understand the love for sunflower, maybe I haven't listened enough yet, It's a little too sugary sweet for me, and I'm not a huge fan of Bruce Johnstons songs.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »

Surf's Up...an album just light-years ahead of its time.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »

Sunflower because it has some of the strongest songs of their entire career even if musically it's all over the place, Smiley Smile because it's just so fucking bizarre coming as a follow up to Pet Sounds and yet it's an album that is no less rich or rewarding despite (rather, because of!) it's obvious lo-fi drug feel, Wild Honey and Friends because they're actually quite aurally cohesive and also full of pretty good to great songs, Surf's Up because I still think it's the most obviously un-Beach-Boys album they've done and it's what first really got me into the group, Holland for doing a good job sounding commercial -- and genuinely seeming to really go for that sound too -- in 1973, and Love You for the sheer and nearly-unvarnished 'Brian Wilsonness' of the album.

These aren't really in order. Want them to be? Okay...

1. Smiley Smile
1. Wild Honey
2. Friends
1. Sunflower
2. Surf's Up
3. Holland
1. Love You
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 11:16:26 AM »

I voted for Surf's Up, but to me it's basically a tie between 8 of the 10 albums.  Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, Friends, Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl and the Passions, Holland, and Love You are all either A or A+ albums.  I would rate 20/20 only a B+, because I don't like "Bluebirds," "All I Want to Do" (Mike's vocal sinks it for me), or Manson's song, and Brian's version of Cottonfields really pales next to Al's.

I would give 15 Big Ones a C-.  The only things I ever listen to from it are "It's OK" and "Had to Phone Ya" (both of which I love).  It really mortifies me that "Rock and Roll Music" hit #5 in the US.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »

20/20 has better cuts on it than friends Smiley..it might be mis-matched but still.
i cnt believe u put wild honey at the bottom :'/ (eyes becoming tearful) lol..

Sorry to break your heart, haha...but there's hope....I originally put "Friends" at the bottom of the list and after a couple listens realized that it deserved to be higher.  I might be able to have a change of heart with "Wild Honey"--thanks to this thread I've begun revisiting these albums and readjusting my original thoughts...hopefully it also did the same for other people too!
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2011, 09:52:54 PM »

and I'm not a huge fan of Bruce Johnstons songs.

Who is?   Cheesy

It's amazing that Bruce was so influenced by Brian's work on Pet Sounds and he was only able to come up with songs like "Disney Girls (1957)" and "The Nearest Faraway Place," the latter having its moments but overall, passable. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

When I first starting listening to Sunflower, two of the songs that blew me away were Deirdre and Tears in the Morning.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2011, 09:58:21 PM »

Carl & The Passions: So Tough is the one I've been consistently playing over and over

So have I.  It's an amazing little album that packs a huge punch.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »

When I first starting listening to Sunflower, two of the songs that blew me away were Deirdre and Tears in the Morning.

Ah yes those two.  Good call...can't say I had the same reaction when I first heard them though!
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2011, 11:10:14 PM »

OK, so I'm the schmuck who voted for 20/20.  I would normally have picked Sunflower, maybe Wild Honey, but i really like nearly all the songs on 20/20 since it was first issued, and it just seemed like the right call tonight.  Friends is a fairly even album as well.  Can't abide Smiley Smile past the obvious two cuts, or about half of CPST.  Surf's Up and Holland have some good cuts, 15BO and Love You, maybe half of each. 
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 11:22:23 PM »

Glad you did, NHC!  When I first started this thread....I chose "Sunflower" without hesitation but after the poll and responses came in I relooked at many of the albums and fell in love with "20/20" all over again.  It's a great album that flows pretty well I think
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2011, 12:41:29 AM »

deidre is actually an amazing song Smiley i'm not a fan of bruce one bit but i have to say this is a beautiful gem.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2011, 02:04:23 AM »

Yea Deidre must be Bruce Johnstons best song? I can't believe "I write the songs" went no.1. Awful song.  Smiley

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2011, 02:22:57 AM »

Yea Deidre must be Bruce Johnstons best song? I can't believe "I write the songs" went no.1. Awful song.  Smiley
Deidre has a lot of BW in the background giving it a pretty hefty lift - Disney Girls is probably the best of Bruce as Bruce  (if not Hey Little Cobra  Smiley)

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 02:53:24 AM »

and I'm not a huge fan of Bruce Johnstons songs.

Who is?   Cheesy

I'm not a fan of everything he did, but I think that 'Tears in the Morning', 'Deirdre' and 'Disney Girls' are really excellent songs (at least in their BB versions, I'll pass for the Going Public versions).
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx