gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:53:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Symphony at Rite-Aid  (Read 7186 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »

I'm sad nobody seems to bother playing my favourite song from the Christmas album: "Christmas Day" but I am pleased "Merry Christmas Baby" gets some love. I have heard the ubiquitous "Little Saint Nick" and "Frosty The Snowman" at the local supermarket before, of course.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 11:32:04 PM »

I hear "your imagination" more than any other beach boys related songs when I'm at a store,or a taco bell or one of those places that play generic music in the backgorund,other than christmas where I hear "little saint nick"

Heard it when I worked at a grocery store a few years back. I'd never heard it before, actually, and was really surprised to hear what sounded like a recent Brian solo track.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 12:33:45 AM »

That whole album is a bit underrated imo...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2011, 04:11:59 AM »

I'm sad nobody seems to bother playing my favourite song from the Christmas album: "Christmas Day" but I am pleased "Merry Christmas Baby" gets some love. I have heard the ubiquitous "Little Saint Nick" and "Frosty The Snowman" at the local supermarket before, of course.
I've heard Christmas Day a couple of times...one of them I distinctly remember was walking down the strip in Las Vegas.  This thread reminded me that I once heard "This Whole World" at K-Mart near closing time...I had been very ready to go after a long day of errands, but I extended my stay by a couple of minutes.  One of many obscure songs I've heard in different places...we have had threads about those before, but I think that this is the first time that I remembered to write about "This Whole World".
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2011, 04:28:27 AM »

I was just in Toronto for a quick birthday trip.  I needed a few things from a drug store, so I went to the Shoppers Drug Mart that was next to my hotel.  What did I hear when I walked into the store?  "Child of Winter"!!!!!  I have never, ever heard that song in public before.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 05:11:53 AM »

Doesn't Mr. Johnston have major, er connections to nation-wide drug store chains?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2011, 06:34:06 AM »

I`ve heard Blue Christmas and the MIU Xmas version of Peggy Sue in my local supermarket in years past.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2011, 08:45:30 AM »

Oh man, I couldn't imagine someone walking into a store and hearing those 70s Christmas songs.

"Mama's in the kitchen making turkeys and bread, the children are hungry, they're waitin' to be fed!"

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »

Oh man, I couldn't imagine someone walking into a store and hearing those 70s Christmas songs.

"Mama's in the kitchen making turkeys and bread, the children are hungry, they're waitin' to be fed!"

That's still better than hearing "Melikilikilaka (sp?), that's Merry Christmas in Hawaii talk-a".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 09:21:59 PM »

I disagree. From someone not familiar with the music, hearing "Melekalikimaka, that's Merry Christmas in Hawaii talk-a" is just a lame line in a song. But Brian in the spoken part in Child of Winter just sounds completely insane.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 03:10:06 AM »

I always thought it was cookies & bread?  Gonna have to go have a listen!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2011, 03:12:15 AM »

I disagree. From someone not familiar with the music, hearing "Melekalikimaka, that's Merry Christmas in Hawaii talk-a" is just a lame line in a song. But Brian in the spoken part in Child of Winter just sounds completely insane.
I've heard both in public places, and both seemed to be thoroughly ignored by the people around me shopping! haha 

For years, me and a friend would use that same "pied piper"-like voice at random times, it was hilarious!  Almost daily!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2011, 04:14:58 AM »

I wish there was a version of Child of Winter without the spoken lines. Might make it listenable.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »

I enjoy it. It makes me laugh.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 11:21:05 PM »

It sort of blew my mind to hear Brian do the Pied Piper voice in "Little St. Nick's Drive-In" or whatever neologism we're calling it.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »

It sort of blew my mind to hear Brian do the Pied Piper voice in "Little St. Nick's Drive-In" or whatever neologism we're calling it.

I figured that voice was more likely connected to a little old lady from Pasadena vibe.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 09:27:51 PM »

I've heard Christmas Day a couple of times...one of them I distinctly remember was walking down the strip in Las Vegas.  This thread reminded me that I once heard "This Whole World" at K-Mart near closing time...I had been very ready to go after a long day of errands, but I extended my stay by a couple of minutes.  One of many obscure songs I've heard in different places...we have had threads about those before, but I think that this is the first time that I remembered to write about "This Whole World".

I heard "Christmas Day" just yesterday at a local grocery store!  Heard "Frosty" on the radio here as well, so that one's making the rounds.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 08:09:30 PM »

Eventually, Rite-Aid added "Christmas Time Is Here Again" to the rotation as well.

Other Beach Boys-related tracks I've heard there include "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" (Brian), "Wind Chimes" (BWPS version), "Little Saint Nick", and at least one other track from Brian's Christmas CD.

On the other hand, whoever compiles the playlists is OBSESSED with the Bee Gees - I've heard tracks from their entire career (up to "This Is Where I Came In"), relatively obscure Andy Gibb material, songs Barry wrote for others (including at least three tracks from Kenny Rogers' "Eyes That See In The Dark" album)...
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 09:10:17 PM »

... "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" (Brian), "Wind Chimes" (BWPS version), "Little Saint Nick", and at least one other track from Brian's Christmas CD.

Yes, I also heard something from Brian's XMas album this year in a Rite-Aid, don't remember which one, but it wasn't "We Wish You A Merry Christmas."

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx