gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:19:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary Tour Dates (as they roll out) (*UPDATED, Feb 15th*)  (Read 228548 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 05:59:33 AM »

At this point, I would trust the official press release over Al. He has a history of saying slightly nutty things about a reunion.

The band has agreed to and announced it will play 50 dates. That's all.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 08:35:08 AM »

Well granted, they will be traveling first class, with a compliment of technicians, roadies
and staying in the best hotels etc.

However at 70 years of age, even fifty shows seems like a lot to me. but over a hundred seems
crazy, given their age, and all the delicate politics between them, and the complexity of the
harmonies.

I don't like the parking and huge crowds and prices, but I love watching the DVD's of a historical
tour like this. I assume there will be a live album and DVD at some point to document all this
I can't wait for that.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »

However at 70 years of age, even fifty shows seems like a lot to me.

50 shows, spread-out over a year, is an average of about 1 per week. When Brian and Mike/Bruce tour, don't they usually do more than 1 per week? I think Mike/Bruce sometimes do 2 per day.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »

Mike and Bruce play up to 100 shows a year now. Most years, Brian does about 40. Not sure for Al.

This seems like a compromise number to ensure everyone is able to do all the shows. Brian won't be the front man,  after all, so I'd think the shows would be less stressful for him.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »

There will be lots of musicians and vocalists.  Even on a bad night, Brian's band gets the job done.  Add to that the vocals of Al, Bruce, Mike, Scotty, and John C., and they should be able to get through 100 shows over the course of a year.   If one performer gets laryngitis, someone else can pick up the slack. 
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2011, 06:22:42 AM »

New interview with David Marks: http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/david-marks-is-ready-to-do-it-again
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2011, 04:28:39 AM »

Just received my tickets, still it's hard to believe that this is happening
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 07:12:34 AM by Surfing Moose » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2011, 07:06:33 AM »

wow, so jealous!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2011, 02:25:30 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm really excited about the reunion concerts next year! I've seen Brian live twice, but this would be my first BBs concert ever  Grin

One quick question, anyone knows if there are any dates in Canada? Thanks in advance!

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »

One quick question, anyone knows if there are any dates in Canada? Thanks in advance!

Not yet as far as I can see. Just keep on lookin'

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
muchacho_playero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »

hey!!! please tell me they are thinkin the possiblity to come to sudamerica.

argentina is waiting for them!!!!!

Afro
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2011, 12:48:39 AM »

Mike and Bruce play up to 100 shows a year now. Most years, Brian does about 40. Not sure for Al.

This seems like a compromise number to ensure everyone is able to do all the shows. Brian won't be the front man,  after all, so I'd think the shows would be less stressful for him.
Mike & Bruce have been known over the past decade to do around 150-170 shows a year...including some private shows that aren't listed.  40 sounds about right for Brian, possibly more shows during the busier touring years.  Al does a few public shows, a few private shows that aren't listed publicly either, but his total number of shows is i'm guessing 10-15?  Same for David?

I'd be glad to have them do 50 shows and still keep the good vibes going within the group.  As for Mike & Bruce's other dates...how will they prevent confusion between the Mike & Bruce shows and the full reunion shows?  Both are billed as The Beach Boys.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 03:28:17 AM »

As for Mike & Bruce's other dates...how will they prevent confusion between the Mike & Bruce shows and the full reunion shows?  Both are billed as The Beach Boys.

Excellent point.... And what happens AFTER the 50th anniversary tour when punters buy tickets expecting to see Brian, Al  and Dave - oh, and Jeff - up here with Mike and Bruce? Or is this also a retirement "farewell" tour?

“We live in divisive times.”
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2011, 07:30:13 AM »

As for Mike & Bruce's other dates...how will they prevent confusion between the Mike & Bruce shows and the full reunion shows?  Both are billed as The Beach Boys.

Excellent point.... And what happens AFTER the 50th anniversary tour when punters buy tickets expecting to see Brian, Al  and Dave - oh, and Jeff - up here with Mike and Bruce? Or is this also a retirement "farewell" tour?

I have been thinking the very same since the reunion tour was announced , its very much IMO a no turning back scenario for all concerned HENCE this just maybe the last we get to see all the respective guys on stage ( which considering age etc should not be a great surprise ) I personally hope not.
The behind the scenes for the last few months has possibly been rather interesting , even possibly BRI revoking Mikes licence to use the BB's name in the future WHO KNOWS ? One thing is for sure , in that with this Tour there are going to be a number of very talented musicians out of work
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »

I have been thinking the very same since the reunion tour was announced , its very much IMO a no turning back scenario for all concerned HENCE this just maybe the last we get to see all the respective guys on stage ( which considering age etc should not be a great surprise ) I personally hope not.
The behind the scenes for the last few months has possibly been rather interesting , even possibly BRI revoking Mikes licence to use the BB's name in the future WHO KNOWS ? One thing is for sure , in that with this Tour there are going to be a number of very talented musicians out of work

Maybe Brian really will retire after this tour and Al and Dave will continue touring with Mike & Bruce.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2011, 12:02:56 PM »

Maybe Brian really will retire after this tour and Al and Dave will continue touring with Mike & Bruce.

Maybe Bruce will retire, and Brian, Mike, Al and Dave will spend their remaining years touring as the Original Beach Boys

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2011, 01:50:59 PM »

Maybe Brian really will retire after this tour...

Not according to what Brian posted on the Blueboard last night. He's already talking about more solo tours after 2012.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »

I thought that Alan's facebook post about sacrificing their individual careers might be read as an insight on this... Perhaps Mike & Bruce cancelled their 2012 (or their Summer) dates to do this. Perhaps they will never tour again as licensed Beach Boys. I don't think Al was talking only about himself.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »

Maybe Brian really will retire after this tour...

Not according to what Brian posted on the Blueboard last night. He's already talking about more solo tours after 2012.

Let Brian retire already after the reunion tour!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2011, 06:05:11 PM »

I've been thinking too that this may be the scenario Mike uses to retire. 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 07:17:53 PM »

It's bad for people with mental issues to retire. You need something to occupy your mind, to stop you from ruminating.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 08:20:13 PM »

I've been thinking too that this may be the scenario Mike uses to retire. 

I think Mike honestly loves being a performing Beach Boy too much to stop touring until health issues force it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 09:04:12 PM »

That could be too, and I don't mind if he tours until he's 100, I've never been the type to think somebody's too old to do anything...

Mike is a very proud person, though.  It's completely within his character to think that this tour with Brian is a good way to go out, and then he can live out his days thinking he did the honorable thing for his cousin, they buried the hatchet and did it one last time for old time's sake, etc.  I really believe Mike wants redemption.  Even when Mike sues Brian he has a way of thinking it's really for Brian's good. 

Like you said though I think he probably enjoys nothing in the world more than being on stage, so I guess we'll just have to see what happens.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »

Still only the German dates  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 08:52:48 AM »

It's bad for people with mental issues to retire. You need something to occupy your mind, to stop you from ruminating.

AGREE with the above ^ statement — Michael Love should NOT retire!  LOL

And, seriously, neither should Brian!

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx