gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680777 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:12:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Actor Elijah Wood has high praise for Smile Sessions and Holland...  (Read 7220 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:17:28 AM »

http://music-mix.ew.com/2011/12/15/elijah-wood-whats-on-my-ipod-music-playlist/

Saw this while browsing through "News & Updates" on Bret Wheadon's BB site. Pretty cool selections...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:23:19 AM »

Now we know what he listened to during that long journey to Mount Doom

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 01:29:28 AM »

He apparently didn't finish Holland because he doesn't recognize the brilliance of Funky Pretty and the fact that its another 'Brian Wilson contribution'

but its ok!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 02:18:18 AM »

That's nice!

I really love Holland, so it's good to see it getting some much-deserved praise. I have to ask, however, what's not "profound" about surfing and girls? The lyrics on Holland may be reflective of the BB having "grown up" but personally I don't see Al Jardine writing about Country Joe & The Fish being in way superior over most of the early-hits lyrics.
cablegeddon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:42:25 AM »

He apparently didn't finish Holland because

Smart move!

Brian Wilson fan since august 2011
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:09:45 AM »

LOL

Until that pesky Gollum made off with his boxset

"My Precious"
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:25:39 AM »

It's nice to hear about a succesful young actor praising the Beach Boys in my opinion.

I got into the Beach Boys with Holland in the seventies. When I was a teenager. It was
only after that, people explained to me about Brian Wilson, and I went back and listened
to all the 65-68 stuff, and I thought, Oh yeah I see, he is a genius.

Then I thought, wow these guys are so good, that even with Brian Wilson's brain
in the land of the missing, the rest of them have enough talent to make albums like
Holland.

The Whole Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Faatar thing bothers me though. Just hiring really talented
people to be in your group, Steely Dan did that too, they hired a guy named David Palmer
to sing on one or two albums. And Toto did that with Bobby Kimball, it kind of, diminishes
the group when you just bring talented people on board temporarily, and they sing the hit
and then you fire them a little later. that whole bringing people in is disturbing.

Anyway good album Holland.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 04:59:40 AM »

LOL

Until that pesky Gollum made off with his boxset

"My Precious"
Gollum had the smile tapes until The Beach Boys had to go to middle earth and take them. LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »

The Whole Blondie Chaplin, Ricky Faatar thing bothers me though. Just hiring really talented
people to be in your group, Steely Dan did that too, they hired a guy named David Palmer
to sing on one or two albums. And Toto did that with Bobby Kimball, it kind of, diminishes
the group when you just bring talented people on board temporarily, and they sing the hit
and then you fire them a little later. that whole bringing people in is disturbing.
well, Ricky and Blondie were brought on as permanent members, and then they both quit. so I don't really see what you're getting at.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:11 AM »

It's nice to hear about a succesful young actor praising the Beach Boys in my opinion.

I got into the Beach Boys with Holland in the seventies. When I was a teenager. It was
only after that, people explained to me about Brian Wilson, and I went back and listened
to all the 65-68 stuff, and I thought, Oh yeah I see, he is a genius.

Then I thought, wow these guys are so good, that even with Brian Wilson's brain
in the land of the missing, the rest of them have enough talent to make albums like
Holland.

Anyway good album Holland.
kind of like bringing in kids to tv sitcoms at the last moment to save the show?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »

David Palmer wasn't that good - that's why he got the chop.  Fagen and Becker have relied on hired hands for a long time
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »

yeah Palmer was only used on the first album, and only sang lead on 2 tracks.

I don't think he was all that talented either... Fagen just never intended to be a lead singer. That first Dan album was really them throwing sh*t at the wall and seeing what stuck. Their first single "Dallas" was actually pretty country. When Do It Again and Reelin in the Years became hits, Fagen gained confidence as a singer and Palmer got the boot. I was at a Dan show recently and Fagen mentioned that Palmer became a shoe salesman... not sure if he was serious.

Steely Dan was never really a "group" in the traditional sense, it was always Fagen and Becker's baby. They toured for a year or two, then pulled a Brian and retreated to the studio for the rest of the 70s. They loved studio players and made no secret who was playing on the albums. They prided themselves on using folks like Chuck Rainey, Bernard Purdie, Larry Carlton, etc. They attempted to tour again in the late 70s but realized they could never afford the guys they really wanted.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 01:34:10 PM »

He apparently didn't finish Holland because

Smart move!

GET OUT!  Angry

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »

Saw this while browsing through "News & Updates" on Bret Wheadon's BB site. Pretty cool selections...

Elijah sounds like quite a fan. Wonder if he lurks here...  Grin
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:16:15 PM »

Elijah sounds like quite a fan. Wonder if he lurks here...  Grin

Well he should pull his finger out of his ring and start posting then.
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »

It's lame references to his Lord of the Rings work that would probably stop him from posting here, even if he was a member.  Especially when people would start calling him Frodo and what not.  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »

Sorry Frodo
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »

Oddly enough, he is credibly rumored to post occasionally on another site I post on.  LOL
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »

Wood also had TSS as the #1 selection on a list in Rolling Stone of "What's He's Listening To."  

EDIT:  Oops, that was in EW.  That article was a smaller version of this one, my mistake!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:36:06 PM by ArchStanton » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 04:43:31 PM »

The time has come to admit two things. One, that yes, I am Elijah Wood, and two, I have never and will never finish listening to Holland. Any other questions, I will have to direct you to my publicist.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 09:57:07 PM »

Oddly enough, he is credibly rumored to post occasionally on another site I post on.  LOL

Would that happen to be a Beatles site?

Also, FWIW, at one point Elijan had a record label, or an imprint, or something of the sort.  The first (perhaps only?) release was the then new disc by The Apples In Stereo.  Needless to say TAIS are influenced by both The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

mps

Paulos
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 01:03:39 AM »

It's lame references to his Lord of the Rings work that would probably stop him from posting here, even if he was a member.  Especially when people would start calling him Frodo and what not.  Grin

"It's the The Smile Sessions, you can't take your eyes off it; I've seen you. You're not eating. You barely sleep. It's taken ahold of you, Mr. Frodo."

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 08:06:55 AM »

Also, FWIW, at one point Elijan had a record label, or an imprint, or something of the sort.  The first (perhaps only?) release was the then new disc by The Apples In Stereo.  Needless to say TAIS are influenced by both The Beatles and The Beach Boys.

mps

It's actually a collectibles site. lol
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »

mps

Yup, Simian Records with The Apples' record 'New Magnetic Wonder'. He also appeared in a couple of music videos by the same band. Doesn't surprise me he's got good taste. Smiley
Robert from The Apples in Stereo loves Smile/TSS, and were heavily influenced by it back in the day.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 10:07:32 AM »

The time has come to admit two things. One, that yes, I am Elijah Wood, and two, I have never and will never finish listening to Holland. Any other questions, I will have to direct you to my publicist.

Your post count gives you away. Elijah wouldn't have that much time on his hands :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx