gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681699 Posts in 27656 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 29, 2024, 10:45:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love Talks to Rolling Stone about the Reunion  (Read 10855 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »

I'm sure it's been posted but it deserves it's on thread

Pretty interesting, most of Brian's band will be used and dates are booked in Japan already

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-mike-love-talks-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-tour-20111219
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:24:10 PM by Slim Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:28:18 PM »

Of note:

Brian Wilson has an incredible band. We're using most of his band. And we've got [current Beach Boys touring] drummer John Cowsill and our guitarist, Scott Totten. We're kind of blending things together.  I think, musically, it's going to be incredible.

How's the album coming so far?

We have not done much on that. There have been some songs written and we have recorded on a few things, just a handful of things. The next couple months are going to be, that's going to be our to-do list. There's a lot of creativity coming from myself, coming from Brian. David Marks has a title I really like, so I'm going to work with him on that.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

I'm LOVING Mike Love lately.  This guy is awesome right now.  Hope he keeps it together, and Brian keeps it together.  Great interview, fantastic stuff.  I like the "voices in his head" comment at the end, essentially saying in his opinion when Brian lays out harmonies he thinks about the 'boys. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »

Nice interview, all seems sweet, relaxed, no-one gets dissed.

Good times.

“We live in divisive times.”
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 01:42:16 PM »

Very nice interview, glad to hear about the inclusion of Pet Sounds and Smile material in the set list.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 02:29:42 PM »

Well, performing Sloop, God Only Knows, Wouldn't It Be Nice and Good Vibrations (all of which Mike's band already does) counts as performing PS and Smile material.

Let's see if they do a full-on performance of Fire!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »

Ha ! Fire !!!   Grin Grin

I wonder if they will still hold Sounds Of Summer up when there will be a new best of. They just should stick to SOS imo. But then maybe they'll have a new hit in the summer.....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:11:24 PM »

Nice interview, all seems sweet, relaxed, no-one gets dissed.

Except Dave

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »

the "voices in his head" comment at the end, essentially saying in his opinion when Brian lays out harmonies he thinks about the 'boys. 

BW himself said that — he said he still thinks in terms of their voices when writing vocal parts.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:05:38 PM »

Very nice interview, glad to hear about the inclusion of Pet Sounds and Smile material in the set list.

I'm not surprised, "Pet Sounds" is arguably their most popular album and "SMiLE" is obviously not as obscure as it once was.  Material from both albums should be staples of any Beach Boys show at this point their career.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »

Mike will be down with doing "Wonderful", he MikeLoves that song.  Really though if it's a career spanning concert, you can't expect them to do too much obscure Smile stuff, mainly just hit the high points because there's so many other tracks to do.  They're going to have to NOT PLAY some #1's likely to get everything included.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »

Mike will be down with doing "Wonderful", he MikeLoves that song.  Really though if it's a career spanning concert, you can't expect them to do too much obscure Smile stuff, mainly just hit the high points because there's so many other tracks to do.  They're going to have to NOT PLAY some #1's likely to get everything included.
I doubt that

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

In the US they only had 4 of them, so I wouldn't worry about that, although there will definitely have to be some of the more "minor" hits glossed over in order to make room for some hidden gems.  So far everything we're reading about this suggests that they're doing it right this time - new music from Mike and Brian (hopefully up to their mid-60's standards), Brian arranging vocals, everyone getting along.  I'm as much of a cynic as anyone, but, knock on wood, I'm really getting excited for this.  More than I thought I would be, actually.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:07:42 PM »

I would suggest Mike could give a big 'up you' to all his critic's if he pushed for 'Cabin Essence' in the set. Him singing 'over and over.....' would cause a few of us to eat...er....crow! Shocked
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »

i would say he'd be the one eating crow
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »

The Beach Boys actually didn't have too many #1 hits, believe it or not. Still, you are right that they will have to make a choice between "art for art's sake and money for God's sake," as 10cc put it so eloquently. Here's hoping that they play some deep cuts.

Imagine "Funky Pretty" played live with Blondie Chaplin! That would be something to witness, for sure.

- B00ts
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »

When Mike Love says, they have recorded on a few things, but not that much.
Thats so vague, what does he mean? can somebody interpret Mike Lovespeak.

Figure an album is roughly a dozen tunes, so "Do It Again" is one, and if they had
worked on say three tracks, thats four, thats a third of an album right there.

Unless they are going to record fifty songs and then argue about which ones to use,
I cant see that. I could see maybe recording 16-20, dropping a couple, using a couple
as exclusive bonus tracks for Itunes or a deluxe version.

Can anybody speak to the recording, do they have a block of time booked, are they
gonna write in the studio? or come in totally prepared with finished songs and vocal
arrangements ?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 05:47:52 AM »

Figure an album is roughly a dozen tunes, so "Do It Again" is one, and if they had

Unless they are going to record fifty songs and then argue about which ones to use,
I cant see that. I could see maybe recording 16-20, dropping a couple, using a couple

Can anybody speak to the recording, do they have a block of time booked, are they
gonna write in the studio? or come in totally prepared with finished songs and vocal
arrangements ?

This is just my guess, but I think Brian's songs will be worked on like in the old Pet Sounds days. That means he writes and arranges them, probably records the music track and then the Beach Boys will add their voices. I don't know about the stuff from Mike, Al, Bruce or Dave. Since they are touring and have to book time at Capitol's studio (I'd like to think that this is so important to Capitol that they get time whenever they want), they can't take very much time experimenting. Does Brian have any tour dates in the near future ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 06:05:12 AM »

Well, if you think about it, it's 50 years of "Fun, Fun, Fun."    Dead Horse

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 06:08:07 AM »

arrangements ?

This is just my guess, but I think Brian's songs will be worked on like in the old Pet Sounds days. That means he writes and arranges them, probably records the music track and then the Beach Boys will add their voices. I don't know about the stuff from Mike, Al, Bruce or Dave. Since they are touring and have to book time at Capitol's studio (I'd like to think that this is so important to Capitol that they get time whenever they want), they can't take very much time experimenting. Does Brian have any tour dates in the near future ?

Studio musicians has to be a factor too -  if they're a combo of BW & M&B ban members as the new video implies, then they also have to be available for the sessions, and their touring commitments will be the same as Mike & Bruce's so I'd suspect several days in a row might need to be clear. That said, if Brian's already used musicians we're not really familiar with then he might be flying already.

“We live in divisive times.”
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 06:16:23 AM »

The Brian question is so crazy..

Sounds like Mike hasn't talked to Brian in a while..

I won't believe this is happening till they are on stage at the Grammy's 

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 06:22:15 AM »

Brian has been recording and working on new songs for several months. I believe in one recent interview he said he had 6 or 7. My bet is that those tracks for the basis to the new album. I suspect group vocals still need to be recorded. And Mike write some lyrics, of course.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »

Well, if you think about it, it's 50 years of "Fun, Fun, Fun."    Dead Horse

We're very fortunate to 'Do It Again,' so to speak

I'd be really happy if Mike won't do that stuff. It's silly and in no way funny. I know so many people who think it's ridiculous and I agree.

Brian has been recording and working on new songs for several months. I believe in one recent interview he said he had 6 or 7. My bet is that those tracks for the basis to the new album. I suspect group vocals still need to be recorded. And Mike write some lyrics, of course.

That is, if Brian wants Mike to write lyrics. Maybe the songs were already finished with another lyricist. Of course a new Wilson/Love tune seems to be inevitable, stranger things have happened....

- Jack Rieley
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 07:28:27 AM »

How do people feel about John Cowsill ending up with the drumming spot?  I feel like I've heard from multiple places that they drums have been a real weak spot in the BBs touring shows for a while, as compared to Brian's band.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 07:31:58 AM »

How do people feel about John Cowsill ending up with the drumming spot?  I feel like I've heard from multiple places that they drums have been a real weak spot in the BBs touring shows for a while, as compared to Brian's band.

No, never heard that. I always heard that the drums were very good at Mike & Bruce's shows. I like his drumming, too.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx