gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:05:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Girls On The Beach" Uncut...?  (Read 3159 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2006, 08:40:42 PM »

About ten years ago AMC used to run a cut version of this film in the Summer- minus a couple of the musical numbers by the Crickets and Lesley Gore, I think.  Has anyone here ever seen a complete print?  Is it floating around?

Incidentally, I have both a one-sheet and a three-sheet for "GOTB", as well as "The Monkey's Uncle", which has a nice little painted Beach Boys image...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 12:52:39 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 04:06:03 PM »

Of course, the film was severely truncated in Uzbekistan, where chicken-dancing is punishable by death.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 01:13:05 AM »

About ten years ago AMC used to run a cut version of this film in the Summer- minus a couple of the musical numbers by the Crickets and Lesley Gore, I think.  Has anyone here ever seen a complete print?  Is it floating around?

Incidentally, I have both a one-sheet and a three-sheet for "GOTB", as well as "The Monkey's Uncle", which has a nice little painted Beach Boys image...

Yes, they used to show it on Cinemax in the early 90's.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 11:22:07 AM »

Yeah, I taped it from there, but like I said, it was an edited print.  It's an amazingly rare film.  If it wasn't for the Beach Boys appearance, it would deserve to be rare, but with them doing three songs near the peak of their career, you'd think someone would have made it available on VHS or DVD over the years.  I'm not even sure if their performance of "The Lonely Sea" (what an odd choice) is in the print I have.  On all the poster art that song is mistakenly assigned to the Crickets.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 11:40:58 AM »

There are always DVD copies  of GOTB available on E-Bay.  They would appear to be uncut, because you mention that Lesley Gore and the Crickets are edited out, but they're listed as appearing in the E-Bay ads.  I'm not sure about the quality, though, because I'm sure they're booted DVD's.  Sometimes the quality on those is good, sometimes not so good.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 12:14:05 PM »

I wouldn't be sure.  It's probably the same print I have.  Lesley Gore should have three performaces total, and the Crickets, I guess, one ("La Bamba") unless they actually performed "The Lonely Sea" in addition to the Beach Boys' performances.  I'll have to re-watch my print and see which performances were cut.

The odd thing about the Beach Boys being so prominently featured in this film is that it's all about the Beatles.  The sorority is desperately trying to get them for a party (yeah, right) while having the Beach Boys around is absolutely no big deal.  Kind of a high-profile  insult.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx