gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:51:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DO IT AGAIN--Complete Video  (Read 18012 times)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2011, 12:16:04 PM »

McCartney hasn't used auto-tune on his studio albums.

Actually, I'd bet there's some autotune on Memory Almost Full and the other David Khane-produced record. Just a feeling.

There is definite pitch-correction / auto-tune enhancement on MEMORY ALMOST FULL, more blatant than what's been used on Brian's recent recordings. Not gratingly abused like on most Top 40 recordings, but there nonetheless whether it was needed or not.
Are you referring to "Feet on the Ground" where it's used as a vocoder effect? I had no idea that there was any other autotune on the album. That is interesting to find out. I know he used it on "Good Evening NYC" but I didn't know he had ever used it in the studio.

While we are on the subject, I remember reading that Brian used a synclavier on BW88, and that he used it to sample and  fix bum vocal notes. Interesting stuff.

I don't use pitch correction myself but I agree that it is only a tool and there is a such thing as a happy medium. My ears seem to have a problem with it when it is at the level where it sounds like the vocal is tracked with a synthesizer - sometimes I will hear a commercial or something from the other room and for a split second I will think that an ultra-pitch corrected vocal is actually a synthesizer.

As "Hey Jude" stated, there are a lot of varying degrees in which auto-tune can be used. It is most blatant as a deliberate effect such as heard on Britney Spear's latest or on something by T-Pain. But it tends to get used on almost everything that reaches the Top 40 these days to give the vocals a real shine. This is where the application can easily be misused. A great example of a wrong-headed use was on Michael Buble's hit "I Just Haven't Met You Yet" - here's a guy who can hit the notes without any problem and, while his hit song's backing track sounds fairly organic, the vocal is doused with enough auto-tune to actually diminish his performance.

Now, McCartney's MEMORY ALMOST FULL is not nearly that bad in its use of the effect, but it's pretty obvious in "Ever Present Past" and "Mr. Bellamy" to pick two. I'm grateful that Brian's output has had a subtler use of the effect. "The Like In I Love You" is the only one were it really stands out in my mind.
Interesting. I agree about "The Like in I Love You" -  the autotune stood out to me when I first heard it. It stands out more when the rest of a production is so classicist as on BWRG. AGD said that to his knowledge there was no autotune on that song, but it really seems to kick in on the high notes. I also notice it a bit on BWPS but the echo and double tracking help to obscure it and as you said, it is used judiciously.

I love Memory Almost Full and I enjoy Driving Rain, but Kahne is a bit of a weak producer when it comes to the actual sound. I will have to listen for the autotune on "Mr. Bellamy." Godrich is a better producer and I love Chaos & Creation but I think Kahne allows McCartney to be himself more, instead of subduing his more fanciful traits as Godrich did.

I have an axe to grind with the technique because nowadays people sometimes assume that I use pitch correction on the block harmonies I do, and I never have.

Also I agree that running the vocals of a talented singer through autotune, which is often mandated at a high level by record companies/TV producers, is unnecessary. It is done for that "modern sound" regardless of whether the singer is hitting the notes, but I think in 10 years it will make current productions where it is not used judiciously sound dated, the same way recordings from the 80s and early 90s sound dated with their ridiculous gated snare sounds (I happen to like some of these sounds, but McCartney's Press to Play album is an example of this - as is "Still Surfin'" on Summer In Paradise).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:19:15 PM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2011, 12:49:09 PM »

For those curious about how auto-tune sounds in a relatively isolated, easy-to-spot setting --

"What Love Can Do." Just listen to Brian's verse vocal early on in the song here ... note how he sounds synthesized. Particularly the words "help me out, tell me it's real." This is more extreme that Imagination, which at least retained some of his actual vocal tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8A_J4KSvRg&ob=av2e

To contrast, listen to "I Loves You Porgy," also a ballad. Note how different Brian sounds ... the frail and frayed tone, the sheer variance in approach. He's still in tune, but he sounds more "realistic," for want of a better word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqQ4jSygx0

Another artist, already mentioned -- "I Just Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Buble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AJmKkU5POA

Now, here's the song as performed live, without the processing . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6dv9Hw8IPk&feature=fvsr
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:53:52 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: December 21, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »

By the way is their any other recent footage of them together? I'd like to make a temp video of
Don't Fight the sea, so I can play two new Beach Boy tracks back to back, even though I am not
so keen on Don't Fight The Sea, it actually is a new Beach Boy track sort of.

I believe there's only the rooftop reunion in 2006. Maybe some of the California Hall Of Fame induction but I haven't seen any and Brian wasn't there, bruce neither.

Forgot that there of course was the Ronald Reagan-concert earlier this year with Mike, Al and Bruce

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »

Any best guesses on when we will see the final DIA video and when
we will see a second new song on video. I'd be happy with one more
pending the release of the album. Then i could play two songs over and
over on my video player instead of just one!
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2011, 06:23:57 AM »

New interview with David Marks: http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/david-marks-is-ready-to-do-it-again
jardine (no relation
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2011, 09:28:48 AM »

Hi all. new here.

wanted to mention something that I found really interesting to watch. At the very end of the DIA video, as Brian is taking off his earphones, someone off camera says something like "Brian, Brian, there's one thing. . ." and Brian starts, it seems, to hurry toward...what, the mixing booth?  This is all speculation (forgive me!!) but it seems like he's being called over to listen to see whether something just recorded was o.k. I just love the intense and interested look on his face and the scurry...seems like a good sign, perhaps
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2011, 10:15:32 AM »

Welcome Jardine (no relation).  The way I think it works is maybe he has somebody else doing most of the mechanics and kind of gives his stamp on the way things sound, in the videos that have popped up over the years it does seem that when he's interested at least, he wants things to sound exactly how he wants them to sound and complains when somebody sounds flat, sharp, etc. 

So they probably WERE running something by him to make sure he was o.k. with it. 

I also think in general, everybody around him truly believes he's a musical genius, so it behooves them to make sure he's down with everything... if not only to exploit that talent for production as much as possible.  ESPECIALLY when we're talking about backing vocals, he's easily as great at arranging that as he ever was. 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:14 AM »

It sounded like Foskett calling his name to my ears...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »

It sounded like Foskett calling his name to my ears...

To mine too
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2011, 12:58:23 PM »

Yeah, it's Jeff Foskett.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »

...ESPECIALLY when we're talking about backing vocals, he's easily as great at arranging that as he ever was. 

Brian has great song writing craft, he has pauses, amazing changes and always keeps it interesting. But his arranging seems to be overlooked a bit. He really is a great arranger and it is this that often makes his work such an aural delight to listen to, he sculpts with sound. The later BB albums really suffer for the absence.

From watching this video I too got the impression that Brian was active and very engaged in the recording and that more than anything makes me optimistic about what may emerge.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »

It's nice to see them all together in the video but the rendition itself is eh.  I mean it's not bad, but it's nothing special.  My favorite version is Brian with his daughters in I Just Wasn't Made For These Times. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0DWT-VO5pQ

I think this kind of lacks that energy, it sounds too slick.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2012, 12:43:44 PM »

Keep in mind that the song has not been released officially yet.

But when it is it will no doubt be lacking in energy and too slick! LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx