gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:17:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DO IT AGAIN--Complete Video  (Read 18011 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »

The sound of the processing on Foskett's voice [if it is processed] does bother me but I'm willing to over look it if the treatment even makes to the album.

So if the treatment makes it to the album you'll overlook it?

What if it doesn't?

What if Jeff's horribly out of tune?

Will you be very cross?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2011, 04:48:18 PM »

For those complaining about the sound of the new DIA, listen to the Nascar mini-release from 1998. Now THAT was a terrible sounding project.

Agree.  These guys are what, 70ish?  They aren't 26 any more.  I know 70 year olds who can barely walk, let alone sing.
The track sounds great!  It ain't gonna get any better than this.  Mike pulls it off much better than expected.

I hate the Hoff site, but in their defense...it is an audiophile site. And I have to say the overwhelmingly autotuned Foskett is an anticlimax to an otherwise enjoyable experience. IMACO

What's 'IMACO'? Does it stand for "In My Apple Core Opinion"? LOL j/k

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »

This kind of technique is so common nowadays that a lot of our ears are just used to it, hence people who don't understand what these Hoffman guys are talking about with regards to "Do it Again."

OHHHH, so anybody who disagrees is just IGNORANNNNNT.  Oh I gotcha. 

There's also the possibility, though, however slim, that some people haven't gotten so arrogant that they actually still ENJOY music, instead of dissecting every little aspect of how it was recorded.   
If you'll take your tampon out, you'll see that I was just saying these techniques are commonplace nowadays, so people are more used to them. This is a board for discussing the minutia of Beach Boys music. This includes recording and production techniques. If the discussion is too in-depth for you, or if it hurts your feelings and makes it impossible for you to enjoy the music, then just f*** off.

- B00ts
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »

It's just frustrating to hear people disrespect the effort, and slag off the
new Beach Boys recording (DIA)

Sure I would be the first to admit they don't sound like they did in 1966, but
I thought for a bunch of 70 year old guys it was remarkable. Even if they were
fifty years old, it would have been a worthy effort to sound that good.

So there is some autotune, big deal, welcome to 2011! Just the fact that they are using
those vintage microphones, and baffles, and recording at Capitol, tells me they are doing
some things in an old school manner, they probably need the autotune so what.

They sound better at seventy on that record than 99% of recording artists half that age.

Could the new DIA have been better? Could they have picked a better guy to co produce than
Joe Thomas? maybe, So what

I hear autotune on Paul McCartney or just about anybody else, Nigel Godrich just did a better
job with McCartney hiding Paul's age, using falsetto where he would have used full voice
ten years earlier, doing the backing carefully to work with his age.

Mike Love sounded good, so did they all.
McCartney hasn't used auto-tune on his studio albums. Godrich and Youth did a good job by allowing Paul's voice to sound like it does at his age, naturally.

I agree that the backing instrumentation on "Chaos and Creation" suits McCartney's age well. I think the new "Do It Again" did a good job of the same with Mike and Brian's lead vocals, pitch correction or none. They sound like they do at the age they are at, and that's cool - I think age has improved Mike's voice in some ways, and Brian has gotten immeasurably better over the past decade. His lead vocal on "Do It Again" continues Brian's pattern of excellent studio leads.

The backing track also has a good, timeless feel to it, with real-sounding instruments that aren't slathered in echo (Imagination) or over-gated/compressed (Summer in Paradise).

We're all happy about the reunion and speaking for myself, I enjoy "Do It Again" a lot. Nay-sayers piss me off too, but if any bit of observation about the production of the new song affects you so much that you can no longer enjoy it, then I don't know what to tell you.  This isn't the Blue Board.

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »

This kind of technique is so common nowadays that a lot of our ears are just used to it, hence people who don't understand what these Hoffman guys are talking about with regards to "Do it Again."

OHHHH, so anybody who disagrees is just IGNORANNNNNT.  Oh I gotcha. 

There's also the possibility, though, however slim, that some people haven't gotten so arrogant that they actually still ENJOY music, instead of dissecting every little aspect of how it was recorded.   
If you'll take your tampon out, you'll see that I was just saying these techniques are commonplace nowadays, so people are more used to them. This is a board for discussing the minutia of Beach Boys music. This includes recording and production techniques. If the discussion is too in-depth for you, or if it hurts your feelings and makes it impossible for you to enjoy the music, then just f*ck off.

Awwww, did boots get his widdle feelings hurt?

Fact: You're acting like an ass, and just said in what I quoted, that the reason others dont' hear it is because they don't understand.  That kind of arrogant bullshit really shows what an ass 'audiophiles' can be.  Calm the hell down, get off your elitist kick, and then come back and apologize to me when you get your sh*t together.

NEXT!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2011, 05:34:50 PM »

By the way... Jeff sounds FUCKING FANTASTIC on this video. 
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2011, 05:50:34 PM »

OHHHH, so anybody who disagrees is just IGNORANNNNNT.  Oh I gotcha.  

If you'll take your tampon out, you'll see that I was just saying these techniques are commonplace nowadays, so people are more used to them. This is a board for discussing the minutia of Beach Boys music. This includes recording and production techniques. If the discussion is too in-depth for you, or if it hurts your feelings and makes it impossible for you to enjoy the music, then just f*ck off.

Awwww, did boots get his widdle feelings hurt?

Fact: You're acting like an ass, and just said in what I quoted, that the reason others dont' hear it is because they don't understand.  That kind of arrogant bullsh*t really shows what an ass 'audiophiles' can be.  Calm the hell down, get off your elitist kick, and then come back and apologize to me when you get your sh*t together.

NEXT! 
Thanks for the advice, cutie-pie. I'm going to work on getting my sh*t together, i.e. not posting anything that could conceivably disrupt your delicate sensibilities. Also, thanks for telling me exactly what I said - I'm really glad you cleared that up for me!

P.S. Life's too short for this stupid BS. You've been rhetorically bodyslammed enough so go ahead and have the last word, I won't be subjecting others to this crap any further.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:02:04 PM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2011, 07:24:57 PM »

The sound of the processing on Foskett's voice [if it is processed] does bother me but I'm willing to over look it if the treatment even makes to the album.

So if the treatment makes it to the album you'll overlook it?

What if it doesn't?

What if Jeff's horribly out of tune?

Will you be very cross?

Nope, I'll overlook that too. At least it will sound like a real voice. I'll be happy either way.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 07:29:53 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »

I think it's odd that you see Mike playing the sax during the solo, but he can't actually play it that well.
wtf?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »

Shut up, you guys!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2011, 12:05:08 AM »

McCartney hasn't used auto-tune on his studio albums.

Actually, I'd bet there's some autotune on Memory Almost Full and the other David Khane-produced record. Just a feeling.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2011, 02:54:37 AM »

For those complaining about the sound of the new DIA, listen to the Nascar mini-release from 1998. Now THAT was a terrible sounding project.

Agree.  These guys are what, 70ish?  They aren't 26 any more.  I know 70 year olds who can barely walk, let alone sing.
The track sounds great!  It ain't gonna get any better than this.  Mike pulls it off much better than expected.

I hate the Hoff site, but in their defense...it is an audiophile site. And I have to say the overwhelmingly autotuned Foskett is an anticlimax to an otherwise enjoyable experience. IMACO

What's 'IMACO'? Does it stand for "In My Apple Core Opinion"? LOL j/k

No!

In My Always Correct Opinion

Obviously.......
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2011, 04:13:19 AM »

I vote for letting them sound like old men because they are old men and the deal is old men getting back together to celebrate their oldness together.

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »

Actually, I'd bet there's some autotune on Memory Almost Full and the other David Khane-produced record. Just a feeling.

There is definite pitch-correction / auto-tune enhancement on MEMORY ALMOST FULL, more blatant than what's been used on Brian's recent recordings. Not gratingly abused like on most Top 40 recordings, but there nonetheless whether it was needed or not.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2011, 08:33:47 AM »

DIA re-release now blocked on Youtube. Ok Capitol, bring on the real-deal.
Yup. It had been uploaded by 4 different accounts, and all 4 videos are blocked.

This one is still alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6l9W_ve7o

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2011, 08:48:33 AM »

I vote for letting them sound like old men because they are old men and the deal is old men getting back together to celebrate their oldness together.

I think the album title should be something along the lines of this post.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »

I don’t understand why there has to be only extremes for this autotune issue. Can’t there be some nuance to this issue? Why does it have to turn into some sort of weird anti-intellectual, “just enjoy what they’re giving you” debate?

Yes, some people are just snobby about recording techniques and “purity” of the recording. Some people do seem to listen more for audio quality than what the actual song and performance sounds like.

At the same time, one can take issue with this autotune based solely on this particular case. The issue of whether using it at all is a “cheat” or whatever is a separate issue. My issue with the autotune on in this case is that it goes beyond fixing any potential flat or sharp singing. Once you know what autotune sounds like and what it does to a vocal in some cases, it’s kind of like when you finally hear that splice in “Strawberry Fields Forever.” It’s really hard to “un-notice” it. Autotune can make a voice sound very electronic, a bit “robotic.” It sounds like a very subtle version of singing through a vocoder or something.

It’s an often-cited example, but a good one to use that Cher song “Believe.” On that song, they purposely over-applied autotune in order to get that sort of phasey/vocoder sound on her voice. Other artists have also used autotone as an “effect” rather than to cover up poor singing. In these cases, it is very similar to the 60’s recordings using flanging or phasing, etc. (... and it's use as an "effect" in "modern" recordings has itself become tiresome and annoying). 

However, when autotune is simply heavily used to provide a “note perfect” performance rather than as an effect, it can in some cases be very distracting. The degree varies from recording to recording. Producers and engineers have to know how to use this tool like any tool from any period of time.

In any event, I think it’s overkill to suggest that anybody that picks out and dislikes autotune in a recording is some sort of audiophile nerd who just nitpicks everything. Some people can hear autotune, some people can’t. But to minimize the opinion of those who can hear it and suggest they are just looking for flaws is ridiculous. I know many non-musicians, many people who aren’t involved in music in any other way other than listening to it, who can spot autotune. It not only sounds the way I described above, it also can be picked out simply by hearing something that sounds “too perfect.” It’s not about trying to deny the singing ability of someone. There are natual tones and timbres to the singers we know and enjoy, and when you know those voices well, when you know what they sound like now without autotune, then it’s very easy in some cases to tell where autotune has been used.

Having said all of that, “Do It Again” is not  “ruined” for me. It’s noticeable, that’s all, and I think it would be better both in terms of integrity and actual performance quality to not use it. I’m enjoying this re-recording. It’s exciting primarily to see and hear them sing together again; I don’t think many fans are dying specifically for a re-recording of this song. But I enjoy it, and am still hopeful a new album will sound good.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »

I think the album title should be something along the lines of this post.

I think all the songs should be peppered with old timey catch phrases and not quite right recently past catch phrases and ought to be about prostate problems, bad backs, rude youth, dentures, lewd exaggerations about old girlfriends, way past Presidents, unintentional racism, long rambling stories about Medicare, grandchildren and the divorcee next door.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:21 AM »

I think they should do a cover of "Sue Me, Sue You Blues".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »

I think they should do a cover of "Sue Me, Sue You Blues".

Cheesy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »

There is definite pitch-correction / auto-tune enhancement on MEMORY ALMOST FULL, more blatant than what's been used on Brian's recent recordings. Not gratingly abused like on most Top 40 recordings, but there nonetheless whether it was needed or not.
Are you referring to "Feet on the Ground" where it's used as a vocoder effect? I had no idea that there was any other autotune on the album. That is interesting to find out. I know he used it on "Good Evening NYC" but I didn't know he had ever used it in the studio.

While we are on the subject, I remember reading that Brian used a synclavier on BW88, and that he used it to sample and  fix bum vocal notes. Interesting stuff.

I don't use pitch correction myself but I agree that it is only a tool and there is a such thing as a happy medium. My ears seem to have a problem with it when it is at the level where it sounds like the vocal is tracked with a synthesizer - sometimes I will hear a commercial or something from the other room and for a split second I will think that an ultra-pitch corrected vocal is actually a synthesizer.

- B00ts
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »

DIA re-release now blocked on Youtube. Ok Capitol, bring on the real-deal.
Yup. It had been uploaded by 4 different accounts, and all 4 videos are blocked.

This one is still alive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6l9W_ve7o

Woo Hoo!

Thank God Al Gore invented Teh Internets!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »

Are you referring to "Feet on the Ground" where it's used as a vocoder effect? I had no idea that there was any other autotune on the album. That is interesting to find out. I know he used it on "Good Evening NYC" but I didn't know he had ever used it in the studio.

While we are on the subject, I remember reading that Brian used a synclavier on BW88, and that he used it to sample and  fix bum vocal notes. Interesting stuff.

I don't use pitch correction myself but I agree that it is only a tool and there is a such thing as a happy medium. My ears seem to have a problem with it when it is at the level where it sounds like the vocal is tracked with a synthesizer - sometimes I will hear a commercial or something from the other room and for a split second I will think that an ultra-pitch corrected vocal is actually a synthesizer.

As "Hey Jude" stated, there are a lot of varying degrees in which auto-tune can be used. It is most blatant as a deliberate effect such as heard on Britney Spear's latest or on something by T-Pain. But it tends to get used on almost everything that reaches the Top 40 these days to give the vocals a real shine. This is where the application can easily be misused. A great example of a wrong-headed use was on Michael Buble's hit "I Just Haven't Met You Yet" - here's a guy who can hit the notes without any problem and, while his hit song's backing track sounds fairly organic, the vocal is doused with enough auto-tune to actually diminish his performance.

Now, McCartney's MEMORY ALMOST FULL is not nearly that bad in its use of the effect, but it's pretty obvious in "Ever Present Past" and "Mr. Bellamy" to pick two. I'm grateful that Brian's output has had a subtler use of the effect. "The Like In I Love You" is the only one were it really stands out in my mind.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »

A great example of a wrong-headed use was on Michael Buble's hit "I Just Haven't Met You Yet" - here's a guy who can hit the notes without any problem and, while his hit song's backing track sounds fairly organic, the vocal is doused with enough auto-tune to actually diminish his performance.

Yes, it's just bizarre in this case. He literally does sound like a robot at times in the song -- and there's no reason why! It's distracting.

The worst autotuned Brian is actually not on Imagination -- it's the Bacharach collab of a few years back. And that was produced by Phil Ramone, so clearly autotune overuse isn't limited to hot new producers.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »

Yep, it still makes me happy just the way it is. I love when they bounce back from the mic at the end of the vocals.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx