gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:29:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DO IT AGAIN--Complete Video  (Read 18132 times)
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2011, 01:02:16 PM »

Not only can you tell its an early version of the video due to the absence of David Marks, but also because just about every non-Beach Boys video has 'Gatty Imgaes' scrawled all over it!

Yes, and no David Marks parking sign at Capitol Records either.  Funny how history repeats itself  Shocked

I think it's pretty obvious David wasn't on-board when this thing started.  Wonder who stepped up and made it happen.
Maybe the band was listening to this 'highly influential' board?

I think, without overblowing our own trumpet, that this board has an effect.  When it comes to fandom, we do after all have "Beach Boys" tattooed on our hearts. Well, written on the back of my essay book. In invisible ink.

David reached out to Mike by picking up the phone and calling him.

Oh. So the board doesn't have an effect…   I'm off back to bed…  Cry

Merry Christmas.   Cry  Cry  Cry

I guarantee you we have an effect on them. The powers that be probably have lackeys trawling this board 24/7 looking for things that shouldn't be posted such as videos and leaked news....

Not the effect you're looking for but it's pretty funny

No mas, por favor.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »

2:58: cross-fade from Mike in the booth singing to a couple of chicks in bikinis on the beach. Is that Mike's personal vision of heaven???

Thought the same thing... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »

Not only can you tell its an early version of the video due to the absence of David Marks, but also because just about every non-Beach Boys video has 'Gatty Imgaes' scrawled all over it!

Yes, and no David Marks parking sign at Capitol Records either.  Funny how history repeats itself  Shocked

I think it's pretty obvious David wasn't on-board when this thing started.  Wonder who stepped up and made it happen.

I think, without overblowing our own trumpet, that this board has an effect.  When it comes to fandom, we do after all have "Beach Boys" tattooed on our hearts. Well, written on the back of my essay book. In invisible ink.

If that's true, it's sad.  Al plays with David all the time.  Nobody thought about including David?  So David had to call?Huh

It probably went something like this:

"Ring, ring"

Mike: "The Lovester here"

David: "Mike, hey, it's David"

Mike: "David who?"

David: "Um, David Marks, original Beach Boy"

Mike: "Um, um....... yeah"

David: "I hear all the guys are cutting new tracks.  How come nobody called me?"

Mike: "Um, um....... yeah"

David: "I think I should be included"

Mike: "Really, hadn't thought about that. Wow, now that's a great idea. Let me run it by the other guys" (Mike thinking about how much less $ this would cost him)

David: "Super!  I'd love to be involved"

Mike: dial tone

Mike calls Brian

Mike: "David called. He wants in"

Brian: "Who is this?"

Mike: "Could be some really 'bad vibrations' press if David is left out"

Brian: "David who"

Mike: "Marks. He was in the band when we started - Surfing Safari, Surfin USA, Surfer Girl.........  Lived across the street from you.

Brian: "Whatever you want Mike.  You're the Executive Producer.  Dial tone..........."
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:55:45 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

2:58: cross-fade from Mike in the booth singing to a couple of chicks in bikinis on the beach. Is that Mike's personal vision of heaven???

No, that's my personal vision of heaven Smiley
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »

I love the tom hit on the 3 in the initial stages of the tune, they should have some percussion thing keeping that on throughout - makes it SWAGGER

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »

haha, yeah, Melinda looks so angry.

Brian doesn't do anything without Melinda. She's his rock - she gets him out of bed and gives him the courage to work. 
AlFall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2011, 03:19:26 PM »

Bruce looks so happy like he's about to s*** his pants.  I feel the same way watching this!

Mike giving Brian a back rub! Priceless!

My $650 Grand Marshal VIP ticket for New Orleans is in hand.

b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »

I love the tom hit on the 3 in the initial stages of the tune, they should have some percussion thing keeping that on throughout - makes it SWAGGER
Hell yes. I love that tom hit also, it is one of those very subtle touches in the arrangement that adds way more than it should to the song. It is kind of cool that it is only going until the whole band comes in, but I agree that it adds swagger, especially because it goes with the vocal syllables the way it does: "it's autoMATic when I talk with OLD friends and converSAtion turns to..." etc.

As you said, hypehat, if they could emphasise those beats (the 3 beat) more throughout the song, percussively, it would be a neat trick indeed.

- B00ts
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2011, 03:58:29 AM »

I love that too.

Gawd, listening to and watching this makes me happy.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2011, 04:18:49 AM »

Yeah I dig it too. I read a bit of the Hoffman thread on this earlier, and got kind of bummed out
because, a number of posters were saying how awful they sounded, and how the modern recording
techniques make the recording robotic, sad and unlistenable.

I wondered to myself, "are these people idiots? Have they ever made a record"

It's true they are around 70 years of age, and they don't sound like they did in
1968, but between their current motivation, and some modern recording techniques
they sound better to me now, than say in 1988-1996.

So anyway, what I'm wondering about, I love this video, and I dig the track, how
much longer before we get a second one to listen to, hopefully a brand new song.
Do you think they will let another song and video slip through in the next couple months?

I wonder if recording has progressed further than they let on, I would think they want the album
finished and available for sale, by around the time of the first show in April, and they are playing
the grammys when ? In Feb ? so I would think we would hear at least one "brand new" song by
the grammys no ? Yes?

By the way is their any other recent footage of them together? I'd like to make a temp video of
Don't Fight the sea, so I can play two new Beach Boy tracks back to back, even though I am not
so keen on Don't Fight The Sea, it actually is a new Beach Boy track sort of.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2011, 04:19:54 AM »

Yes, and no David Marks parking sign at Capitol Records either.  Funny how history repeats itself  Shocked

I think it's pretty obvious David wasn't on-board when this thing started.  Wonder who stepped up and made it happen.

I think, without overblowing our own trumpet, that this board has an effect.  When it comes to fandom, we do after all have "Beach Boys" tattooed on our hearts. Well, written on the back of my essay book. In invisible ink.

Mike hating can suck it.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2011, 05:54:57 AM »

By the way is their any other recent footage of them together? I'd like to make a temp video of
Don't Fight the sea, so I can play two new Beach Boy tracks back to back, even though I am not

I believe there's only the rooftop reunion in 2006. Maybe some of the California Hall Of Fame induction but I haven't seen any and Brian wasn't there, bruce neither.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2011, 08:36:18 AM »

Bruce looks so happy like he's about to s*** his pants. 

All jokes aside, he is pretty old.  Maybe he had and was trying to hide it, lol. 
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »

Check out Mike strutting down the hall at the beginning - does he look the man or what?!! I hope I look that cool at 70!!*

*although with more hair obviously.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2011, 11:02:32 AM »

Yeah I dig it too. I read a bit of the Hoffman thread on this earlier, and got kind of bummed out
because, a number of posters were saying how awful they sounded, and how the modern recording
techniques make the recording robotic, sad and unlistenable.

I wondered to myself, "are these people idiots? Have they ever made a record"

It's true they are around 70 years of age, and they don't sound like they did in
1968, but between their current motivation, and some modern recording techniques
they sound better to me now, than say in 1988-1996.

So anyway, what I'm wondering about, I love this video, and I dig the track, how
much longer before we get a second one to listen to, hopefully a brand new song.
Do you think they will let another song and video slip through in the next couple months?

I wonder if recording has progressed further than they let on, I would think they want the album
finished and available for sale, by around the time of the first show in April, and they are playing
the grammys when ? In Feb ? so I would think we would hear at least one "brand new" song by
the grammys no ? Yes?

I enjoy the sh*t out of "Do It Again" but I also see what these people on the Hoffman board are on about. There is pitch correction all over the track, which is a Joe Thomas trademark, and it makes some of the vocals, especially Jeff's falsetto, sound like they are being tracked with a digital synthesizer (the way Brian used to track Fender bass with double bass).

Modern production doesn't have to be overly slick and antiseptic: witness Nigel Godrich's production of McCartney's Chaos & Creation and also McCartney and Youths' production of Electric Arguments. Modern sounding, extremely professional, but not too cloyingly slick. I think The Beach Boys unfortunately have precedence for this in the era you mentioned, with BB85, BW88, and Summer in Paradise, which was way ahead of its time (about 10 years ahead) in its use of Pro Tools to make an ultra-slick, sheen recording.

This kind of technique is so common nowadays that a lot of our ears are just used to it, hence people who don't understand what these Hoffman guys are talking about with regards to "Do it Again."

Anyway, to answer your question, Mike made it pretty clear in the interview with Rolling Stone that the new album is not really underway yet. Apparently, "Do It Again" may be the only track we hear for a few months.

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »

This kind of technique is so common nowadays that a lot of our ears are just used to it, hence people who don't understand what these Hoffman guys are talking about with regards to "Do it Again."

OHHHH, so anybody who disagrees is just IGNORANNNNNT.  Oh I gotcha. 

There's also the possibility, though, however slim, that some people haven't gotten so arrogant that they actually still ENJOY music, instead of dissecting every little aspect of how it was recorded.   
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2011, 01:12:31 PM »

Mike hating can suck it.

What Mike hating?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »

For those complaining about the sound of the new DIA, listen to the Nascar mini-release from 1998. Now THAT was a terrible sounding project.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2011, 01:34:13 PM »

For those complaining about the sound of the new DIA, listen to the Nascar mini-release from 1998. Now THAT was a terrible sounding project.

Agree.  These guys are what, 70ish?  They aren't 26 any more.  I know 70 year olds who can barely walk, let alone sing.
The track sounds great!  It ain't gonna get any better than this.  Mike pulls it off much better than expected.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »

For every new BB-related release, there are like 200 posts on the use of pro Tools. Always happens.

Now the BBS are fulfilling our lifetme dreams, beyond anybody's expectation, and we got a thread on autotune and how low the bass is mixed.

I only wish our homegrown recording geniuses finish their catharsis and their self-gratifiying soon.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2011, 01:41:08 PM »

DIA re-release now blocked on Youtube. Ok Capitol, bring on the real-deal.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »

It's just frustrating to hear people disrespect the effort, and slag off the
new Beach Boys recording (DIA)

Sure I would be the first to admit they don't sound like they did in 1966, but
I thought for a bunch of 70 year old guys it was remarkable. Even if they were
fifty years old, it would have been a worthy effort to sound that good.

So there is some autotune, big deal, welcome to 2011! Just the fact that they are using
those vintage microphones, and baffles, and recording at Capitol, tells me they are doing
some things in an old school manner, they probably need the autotune so what.

They sound better at seventy on that record than 99% of recording artists half that age.

Could the new DIA have been better? Could they have picked a better guy to co produce than
Joe Thomas? maybe, So what

I hear autotune on Paul McCartney or just about anybody else, Nigel Godrich just did a better
job with McCartney hiding Paul's age, using falsetto where he would have used full voice
ten years earlier, doing the backing carefully to work with his age.

Mike Love sounded good, so did they all.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »

DIA re-release now blocked on Youtube. Ok Capitol, bring on the real-deal.
Yup. It had been uploaded by 4 different accounts, and all 4 videos are blocked.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2011, 02:42:25 PM »

Agree.  These guys are what, 70ish?  They aren't 26 any more.  I know 70 year olds who can barely walk, let alone sing.
The track sounds great!  It ain't gonna get any better than this.  Mike pulls it off much better than expected.

I hate the Hoff site, but in their defense...it is an audiophile site. And I have to say the overwhelmingly autotuned Foskett is an anticlimax to an otherwise enjoyable experience. IMACO
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2011, 02:48:29 PM »

The sound of the processing on Foskett's voice [if it is processed] does bother me but I'm willing to over look it if the treatment even makes to the album.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx