gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:03:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DO IT AGAIN--Complete Video  (Read 18141 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 09:02:57 PM »

haha, yeah, Melinda looks so angry.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »

haha, yeah, Melinda looks so angry.

Perception is an interesting thing, to me she looks relaxed and grooving to the music.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 10:37:29 PM »

It's great to see Brian interact with the guys too.  He actually looks very calm and very content. ...  Looks like it went fine.   Brian may have realized at the end of the session that hanging around his old friends wasn't as bad as he thought it was going to be...

I'm more of a Brian Wilson fan than a Beach Boys fan and I wouldn't have thought the Beach Boys would let Brian have control and that bugged me. But in this video Brian seems really confident and they're all listening to him. On top of that this track to me sounds like something Brian would be happy with, I really like it, their voices sound good, nice arrangement, good sound overall. I hope they're having as good a time as they seem to be. I'm starting to get optimistic about this album.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »

Not only can you tell its an early version of the video due to the absence of David Marks, but also because just about every non-Beach Boys video has 'Gatty Imgaes' scrawled all over it!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2011, 01:41:41 AM »

Not only can you tell its an early version of the video due to the absence of David Marks, but also because just about every non-Beach Boys video has 'Gatty Imgaes' scrawled all over it!

Yes, and no David Marks parking sign at Capitol Records either.  Funny how history repeats itself  Shocked

I think it's pretty obvious David wasn't on-board when this thing started.  Wonder who stepped up and made it happen.
Maybe the band was listening to this 'highly influential' board?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2011, 01:42:44 AM »

'Gatty Imgaes'

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 02:03:58 AM »

'Walks off to cry in a corner'

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2011, 02:23:19 AM »

Yes, and no David Marks parking sign at Capitol Records either.  Funny how history repeats itself  Shocked

I think it's pretty obvious David wasn't on-board when this thing started.  Wonder who stepped up and made it happen.

I think, without overblowing our own trumpet, that this board has an effect.  When it comes to fandom, we do after all have "Beach Boys" tattooed on our hearts. Well, written on the back of my essay book. In invisible ink.

“We live in divisive times.”
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:33 AM »

I think it's odd that you see the guitar player use the whammy bar during the solo, but you can't actually hear it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2011, 02:43:29 AM »

I think it's odd that you see Mike playing the sax during the solo, but he can't actually play it that well.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »

Since the original poster said it was ok to make this video public, here it is on Youtube. It may be useful if you want to share the love on whatever social network you use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt8jFdS6Mg4

Should anyone want this removed, ask me and I'll do it immediately.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:54:07 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:14 AM »

The youtube poster's video credits say the saxophonist is unknown, but it looks like Mertens to me.

As good as i could have expected, and not embarrassing at all. Let's hope the album is this classy.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »

Since the original poster said it was ok to make this video public, here it is on Youtube. It may be useful if you want to share the love on whatever social network you use.

Hi folks

I'm not certain what the legal status of that video is, to be frank. Not my dropbox account. Better not to post it on YouTube, etc. Please keep it reasonably private here,  entres nous, until I hear otherwise. Looks like an unfinished video cut to me, with Getty Images in place instead of original material. So I don't want some editor to get in trouble. I have no idea what the original source is.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2011, 03:33:14 AM »

The youtube poster's video credits say the saxophonist is unknown, but it looks like Mertens to me.

The credits are what AGD posted on this very message board a few hours ago, nothing more.

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 03:35:08 AM »

Hi folks

I'm not certain what the legal status of that video is, to be frank. Not my dropbox account. Better not to post it on YouTube, etc. Please keep it reasonably private here,  entres nous, until I hear otherwise. Looks like an unfinished video cut to me, with Getty Images in place instead of original material. So I don't want some editor to get in trouble. I have no idea what the original source is.

I happen to read this messageboard. I also read the following messages, posted after the ones you quoted -

Hi folks

Bit late for that - it was reposted to the Hoff, and on from there (amongst others by me, I freely admit): you said in the original post your friend gave you the OK to go public with it (and yes, here is public), and you didn't state any restrictions whatsoever, so my conscience is clear. I suggest you start doing some fancy thinking.

Well, there it is. As I said, he did say it was okay to go public with it, so mine is clear too.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 03:40:03 AM »

Only trying to be helpful, that's all…  the link repeated elsewhere was the original Dropbox link -  there was a specific request not to post to YouTube.  Only trying to be helpful…

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 03:42:06 AM »

Only trying to be helpful, that's all…  the link repeated elsewhere was the original Dropbox link -  there was a specific request not to post to YouTube.  Only trying to be helpful…

I know, and I'm taking the risk. I've stated on this board and in the video description that I'm willing to delete this video as soon as I'm asked to do it, if I'm asked to do it. Thanks for the heads-up anyway.  Smiley

This video is just too good to be ignored. I think sharing it is actually a good way of promoting the reunion!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:43:18 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 03:47:55 AM »

This video is just too good to be ignored. I think sharing it is actually a good way of promoting the reunion!

Indisputable! Happy Christmas!  Grin

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »

I think, without overblowing our own trumpet, that this board has an effect.  When it comes to fandom, we do after all have "Beach Boys" tattooed on our hearts. Well, written on the back of my essay book. In invisible ink.

David reached out to Mike by picking up the phone and calling him.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 05:00:16 AM »

good for Mike, then.

Regarding the DIA version, it sounds just so right, so authentic, that I like to think that this was created 43 years ago just for this celebration. And that  the endless nightly performance of this song (which always remained a somewhat obscure number, never a major hit) was a long rehearsal/preparation for this moment.

These guys are fulfilling our life-long dreams. This is something we'll talk about all of our lives.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2011, 05:46:02 AM »

Oh. So the board doesn't have an effect…   I'm off back to bed…  Cry

Merry Christmas.   Cry  Cry  Cry

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2011, 06:07:17 AM »

It's interesting...Mike's voice sounds less "nasally" than he does in concert.  Live, I always thought he always nailed the vocal and always retained that register pretty well.  For some reason, on this version, he's on a lower register and less nasal....wondering if it's a physical limitation or an artistic choice?  

Even in the early years Mike always sounded much more nasal in live appearances than on the studio cuts.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 06:17:26 AM »

Must be coincidence, but I do like the SMiLE-era outfit Bruce is wearing.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »

LOL LOL LOL @ 1.01 ... Jardine standing on the box!!  LOL LOL LOL
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:43 PM »

2:58: cross-fade from Mike in the booth singing to a couple of chicks in bikinis on the beach. Is that Mike's personal vision of heaven???

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:12:26 PM by Erik H » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx