gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680873 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 12:36:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2012 Tour fantasy setlist  (Read 16088 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2012, 06:48:29 AM »

Accidental post - ignore.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:05:01 AM by AndrewHickey » Logged

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2012, 06:54:48 AM »

It would be great an acoustic opennig set, with all five members sitting around one or two microphones:

Maybe for something like:

Our Prayer
Lahaina Aloha
All I Wanna Do
Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
'Til I Die
All This Is That

Then the normal electric set with 40-45 songs.

And keeping this format for ALL the reunion shows in whatever venue they play!!

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »

I know the setlist is going to disappointment no matter what. It'll be the same old Surf Hits + Today + Pet Sounds stuff.

This is a cool setlist, I'd be really happy with it.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised. When Mike & Bruce (& David) have toured the UK in the last few years, they've done very long sets - more than fifty songs - with stuff like 'Til I Die, Everyone's In Love With You, All This Is That, Disney Girls, Sail On Sailor, Heroes & Villains with Bicycle Rider chorus, Good Timin', Forever, Let Him Run Wild, Here Today and more in.
Given that they've got most of Brian's band with them, too, and the need to showcase everyone, I'm betting on the following, based on stuff that's common to both band's sets or which will be politically advisable:
Exactly fifty songs.
Til I Die, Sail On Sailor and Heroes & Villains included (both bands have done these, and H&V gives Al a lead)
Wonderful and Vegetables from Smile (Mike likes Wonderful, and it was a hit single for Brian in the UK and he opened 2002 shows with it, and the BBs used it in the box set tour. Vegetables because it's easy to rehearse and gives Al a lead).
Disney Girls
Lady Lynda/"Little Lady"
All This Is That (a Mike & Al co-write, after all)
California
You Still Believe In Me (Mike's band and Brian's know this one, Al could sing lead)
Here Today (gives Mike a chance to sing on a Pet Sounds song)
Honkin' Down The Highway (Brian and Al just did a remake of it, it's a nod to the hardcore fans but still sounds like it'd fit in with the fun in the sun stuff).
Forever (as a tribute to Dennis, Dave Marks on lead)

And then all the usual hits.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 07:07:37 AM »

It would be great an acoustic opennig set, with all five members sitting around one or two microphones:

Maybe for something like:

Our Prayer
Lahaina Aloha
All I Wanna Do
'Til I Die
All This Is That

Then the normal electric set with 40-45 songs.

And keeping this format for ALL the reunion shows in whatever venue they play!!

Mike, Bruce & Dave actually did something similar in the 2008 tour - an acoustic set near the start of the second half, with Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, In My Room, Cool Head Warm Heart, Everyone's In Love With You, All This Is That and Til I Die. So you might get your wish...

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 07:32:52 AM »

I don't think there is any reason to expect or include songs from their respective solo efforts. That would be out of place here, I think.

Harmony-wise, I think Mike, Al and Bruce will sing their usual parts, Brian will sing Carl's and Jeff will sing Brian's original. There will be duplications and fullness because of the number of singers there. Besides, Bruce has historically sung Brian's harmony part (BTW, watching concert videos I'm increasingly in awe of Bruce's proficiency as a backup singer... always in tune, always blended, great rhythmic sense...).

As for the leads, it would make sense if they avoided songs that would have to be lead-sung by band members, even if it means dropping Darlin' or Don't Worry Baby.

I would love an intimate Party-like short set within the concert, just to highlight the boy's harmonies.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »

It is very important that they keep whatever setlist they choose in all the reunion shows. I wouldn' t understand if they played 50 songs in UK at selected venues, and then turned in a "Meat & Potatoes" kind of show in other countries, being all "Reunion" shows.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2012, 08:46:56 AM »

409 and Shut Down will be part of the set list.

I sure hope so ! I'm really looking forward to both of these songs ! Don't care very much for Little Deuce Coupe.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »

It is very important that they keep whatever setlist they choose in all the reunion shows. I wouldn' t understand if they played 50 songs in UK at selected venues, and then turned in a "Meat & Potatoes" kind of show in other countries, being all "Reunion" shows.
Yes. It doesn't matter what they play in the UK because I'm probably gonna be seeing them in NYC or New Jersey.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »

I'd be irked at that too...but I have a feeling they'll give the UK fans better treatment over the US fans.  They might not change the entire setlist but I wouldn't be surprised if they added a few more deeper cuts specifically for them--maybe even a fuller SMiLE set.  Mike and Bruce seem to enjoy giving the UK fans more attention since they're "more respected" there, and I'm getting tired of the preferential treatment. 
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »

Some of the tracks in this list would suit me well enough: http://www.giginjapan.com/beach-boys-the-memphis-tennessee-paradise/

Not all of 'em, but surprised at some of the non-hits included here, some greats.

“We live in divisive times.”
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »

I don't like that setlist one bit. maybe "Little Honda". "Rock and Roll Music" too. with Brian going "ROCK ! ROLL! ROCK AND A ROLL!"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:17:02 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »

I don't like that setlist one bit. maybe "Little Honda". "Rock and Roll Music" too. with Brian going "ROCK ! ROLL! ROCK AND A ROLL!"

Y're kidding... ?

It's far from perfect but I could stand to hear SOS, GOK, WIBN, CG, SJB, GV, SS, TWotS, sand even SiP live a few more times before I depart this mortal coil!  :D

Also my way of a heads-up fresh dark release Grin !
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 03:34:30 PM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2012, 04:12:38 PM »

I don't know, is it wrong I want to hear something fresh and different? And not the same handful of songs that, while a novelty 10 years ago, are just as stale and weak as the rest of 'em?

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2012, 04:22:59 PM »

I don't know, is it wrong I want to hear something fresh and different? And not the same handful of songs that, while a novelty 10 years ago, are just as stale and weak as the rest of 'em?
Not at a reunion concert where just about everyone in attendance wants to hear the songs that made them famous; the hits. It is possible they could do something similar to the 1993 tour, but I highly doubt it.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »

If they do something remotely similar to the song selection on Live at the Roxy, I'll be satisfied.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »

Mike and Bruce seem to enjoy giving the UK fans more attention since they're "more respected" there

Brian as well.
I guess it depends on what kind of venue they'll play. They are gonna do some of the deeper cuts at venues with good accoustics.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2012, 08:03:07 PM »

I'm expecting a typical show but I hope that some other songs are included like:

Friends
Wake The World
All I Wanna Do
Surf's Up
Time To Get Alone
I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
Til I Die
Marcella
All This Is That
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx