gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:02:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys - "Cool, Cool Water" Live on David Frost, 1971  (Read 11431 times)
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 05:49:50 PM »

I'd do them.

As long as you leave the one on the left for me.  Don't spoil the goods.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »

No problem. But I go first!  Evil

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 06:44:42 PM »

The Mess of Help video - live vocals over a backing track, right?  Didn't see a banjo or fiddle but could hear them - and the track faded, a sure sign it wasn't live.  Or were the vocals prerecorded too?

It sounds like maybe some of the backing vocals are prerecorded too, but Carl's lead seems to be live at least.  Too bad that it's mostly a mime, but either way, it's such a cool look at the band.  I love Al's Fender XII and toque.  Blondie's Gibson bass is pretty rad too, and Carl's non-bigsby tailpiece Tele is interesting as well.  Fun to see Daryl too.  Good times all around, I guess.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 07:06:38 PM »

dey b lukin lyke fools 2 me,. beerds bad haircuts an bad fashion reeked up dat show so much yo. i feel for dem wit all ma soul. dat song be kinda cowny 2 u no? i hear lyke a banjo or some shiyat in it. seem pretty gay 2 me for a rock song 2 have. wat are dey banjo twiddlin fools

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 07:08:03 PM »

Just cause you're having a bad day doesn't give you the right to bash our favorite band!

Old Man

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2006, 07:11:04 PM »

dey be ma favrit 2 but i can steel bash dem wen i want 2.
i suprt da cool luk 2 but dey be doin it all wong. da onlee cool 1 be denis wilsone he looks lyke da epitimi of da cool in dis here video picture audio performance recerdin

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2006, 07:25:33 PM »

dey be ma favrit 2 but i can steel bash dem wen i want 2.
i suprt da cool luk 2 but dey be doin it all wong. da onlee cool 1 be denis wilsone he looks lyke da epitimi of da cool in dis here video picture audio performance recerdin

...Right...

...Sounds like either someone's little brother or Prince hacked HeroesandVillains's Smiley account.  Cool
XY
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2006, 10:41:23 PM »

Does a video recording of the band performing Vegetables & Falling In Love/Lady on the David Frost show circa 70-71 exist anywhere? I have an audio, but have long wondered if any video is extant. Anyone seen it?

http://www.thedavidfrostshow.com/order.htm
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2006, 01:33:48 AM »

As much as I love Vegetables, there's no way I'd pay 95 dollars for it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »

Come on - let's all chip in, buy the screening tape for $95, and then . . . share.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2006, 08:53:17 AM »

I think Alan Boyd told me that the master for the Forever-Lady-Vegetables episode of David Frost  doesn't exist anymore...it got destroyed somehow. Too bad, I have the audio, and some stills. Maybe some tech from the show made a copy way back when, and its in a closet somewhere.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2006, 09:49:50 AM »

It's interesting, on that Mess of Help video, it looks like Dennis is playing (well, pretending to play) a Baldwin organ of some sort, but it's definitely not the same Baldwin of Brian's used c.1967-1971.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2006, 09:57:02 AM »

I think it and the piano must have been supplied by the show they were shooting for.  I guess Old Grey Whistle Test?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2006, 12:38:22 PM »

Yes its definitely Old Grey Whistle Test...I have this video with the intro by the host.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2006, 12:47:59 PM »

Did they just do the one number?  And didn't OGWT usually feature live, ie not mimed, performances?  Surely that lineup could have handled it?  Maybe I'm just idealistic.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2006, 12:53:57 PM »

I don't see what's so incomphrensible that Dennis is actually playing the organ.. seems like he's only playing one or two chords, anyone can do that.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 12:57:06 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2006, 01:22:44 PM »

I don't see what's so incomphrensible that Dennis is actually playing the organ.. seems like he's only playing one or two chords, anyone can do that.

It's incomprehensible because they're miming the track, it's prerecorded, thus the organ isn't even on.  I think we all know that Dennis was plenty capable of playing keyboards.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »

Aeijtzsche...As far as I know that was the only song they did during that OGWT appearance. And yeah outiside of Carl's microphone being "live" I can't imagine why they mimed to the track...although I have seen OGWT performances by other artists that had the pre-recorded track w/live vocal set up. Speaking of that particular lineup...There is a tape in existence of an entire  BB's set recorded live at Winterland in '73 on the house audio/video system. I know who has a copy, and I have no idea whether it will ever be seen publically. But I'd imagine there are similar discoveries out there that we'll enjoy in the future.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx