gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:18:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three Dog Night  (Read 1703 times)
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:52:05 AM »

It makes me sad these guys, haven't made the rock n roll hall of fame.

So many people get in, if they get in , the Dogs should be in.

If I ran the Rock Hall of fame, there would be probably less than fifty groups in it
so far.

But , since just about everybody gets in, and there must be a thousand bands in it by now,
The Dogs, had I believe 22 top 40 hits in a row between 1968-1975, including many classic
legendary songs, like Mama Told me or One is the Lonliest number.

They didin't write their own material, I know I know, actually they wrote a few tunes
Mike Allsup (guitar player) wrote three tunes for the Cyan album. Danny Hutton wrote one
for Suitable for framing. The whole band wrote a few together, about five tunes I think or six.

If your'e a youngster and not familiar with the records, well, but if you are, I have to say

Eli's Coming, Mama Told Me, One is The lonliest number, and some of the album cuts, oh say
Midnight Runaway, Heavy Church, to name two. They were a great band live also,

they also had 12 gold and platinum albums in a row,    68-74, and have sold somewhere around 50 million records.

Does anyone have any views on the subject, or why some people get in who seem, totally unqualifed, how is it decided?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »

I agree with you.  I have no idea why they're not in there, but perhaps some of the guys are still fairly young so if they get in, in the next 10 years or so they'll be able to appreciate it. 

Thing with a band like them, though (and Chubby Checker, and the Monkees) is their stock is falling, nobody plays them anymore so there's no incentive (other than they deserve it ) for the hall to put them in. 
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »

Well Chubby Checker had a few hits, and was a big draw on the oldies circuit for years, and the
Monkees had a lot of hits, but they neither wrote or played the tracks, maybe they should get in
too I don't know.

Three Dog was a phenomenal live act in the early years, you can see some of the footage
when they were young in their prime in 68-70 simply tops in concert. And they had more
hits in their era than just about anybody except maybe WIngs and Elton John. 22 top 40
hits in a row and 12 gold albums in a row, is near the top of almost anybody for streaks.

Ironically their opposite number Steppenwolf, on ABC Dunhill, who were not nearly as big
or as good live, are more revered today. with their classics Born To Be Wild and Magic Carpet Ride.

But the Dogs songs, namely Joy To The World, Mama Told Me, One and Eli's Coming, have been in
a ton of huge huge huge movies over the last 20 years. So they may not get as much radio play anymore
but in film at least their songs have huge, starting with the Big Chill and Boogie nights and a number of others.

I don't know how groups are chosen, who selects them, based on what.
For the Hall of fame I mean.

They were great musicians and singers.

They are not young, I think the youngest (six of the seven are still alive) I think Mike Allsup and Jimmy Greenspoon
are the youngest and they are in their mid sixties. The older ones are pushing seventy. Four of the seven play as
Three Dog Night, on the oldeies circuit but they are kind of an embarrasment. Chuck Negron is no longer with them
and neither is Floyd Sneed, Floyd's weird drumming gave them their snap, and Negron sang the majority of the lead vocals
on the hits, and was also the tenor singing all the high parts.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »

Slighty OT, but I read ( a year or 2 ago) in a Danny Hutton interview that 3DN were going to release a new album (without Chuck Negron) that included the participation of our man Brian Wilson.  But still no album has been released (though a song or two from the sessions has leaked out...

Anyone know any more?
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 05:05:11 PM »

Slighty OT, but I read ( a year or 2 ago) in a Danny Hutton interview that 3DN were going to release a new album (without Chuck Negron) that included the participation of our man Brian Wilson.  But still no album has been released (though a song or two from the sessions has leaked out...

Anyone know any more?

Jimmy Greenspoon told me (keyboards) two years ago they had five songs in the can or six. Richie Podolor (original) producer
was coming out of retirement to produce the songs done by Hutton, Cory Wells had a different producer for his songs.
all that may or may not have changed, 3 songs have come out for download,.

IN A STUNNING DEVELOPMENT THE OTHER DAY< ACTUALLY LINKED TO MY FACEBOOK PAGE< CHUCK NEGRON ANNOUNCED
that  he wants to have a reunion of the  "ORIGINAL" THREE DOG NIGHT to reunite one last time
Chuck broke the ice and called Danny Hutton about it, and there has been no news since then.. whether Hutton responded in a positive
manner or whatever.. Ironically, Chuck and Danny only live around five miles away from each other, Chuck Negron made the phone call
he said so publicly, lets see what happens if Danny is responsive, I guess Chuck wants the original Dogs to go on tour, and possibly record
I just recieved word fro Chuck that he couldn't reach Hutton and has emailed Cory Wells, just in the last few hours

So yeah the remaining Dogs have been working on an album 3 songs are out, one of them is pretty good

Chuck has been working a second book and two solo albums, one about his recovery and the other one an album which will be
called "Philly Soul" Chuck has one new song available called "I'M SORRY" you can find it on youtube, The man can still sing!

So thats your TDN update folks

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:33:52 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »

Chuck's exact words are Sunday 6.43 pm pst.

" I called Danny Hutton today and left a message concerning
the Original TDN doing a tour"
Lets see what happens!"   end quote

That's amazing Chuck would offer the olive branch and tell
the fans publicly about the possible good news.

Chuck donates a lot of time to charitable causes now, the person
he may have been 30 years ago, is not who he is now. Although
I always liked him, even when he was getting loaded, I've always
thought he was a very nice, and funny person.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:34:45 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 07:46:46 PM »

This Keeps flowing, Chuck Negron has emailed Cory Wells presumably about discussing
a possible reunion.

Of course for those who don't know, four of the original seven members still tour as Three Dog Night
including two of the three singers.

However drummer Floyd Sneed is not involved, and Chuck Negron, well he is the most energetic stage
performer of the three singers, he sang lead on half their hits, and he sang all the high parts on virtually
all of the records,

Chuck also is very personable and comfortable with fans, he likes people, and visiting with everybody,
Cory and Danny while not unfriendly are more subdued and less energetic, so to really see the real
Three Dog Night, in most people's opinion. Chuck Negron has to be a part of it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 11:39:13 PM by vintagemusic » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx