gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 11:45:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do It Again 2011 - Snippet Unofficially Remastered  (Read 8910 times)
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 01:49:45 PM »

Hey, I wasn't trying to insult anyone's intelligence here or anything, I just feel as though many people here automatically labeled these vocals "Autotuned" without really knowing what it is or what it does.  I am, though to a presumably lesser extent than boots, familiar with digital recording. I'm not saying what boots stated isn't correct, he obviously knows what he's talking about, I was just saying that many UNinformed people automatically said "Autotuned!" when SO many other things than simply pitch correction were involved in this recording. That's all. 

Oh and Ron, thanks for sticking up for me, even if it cost you a few insults  Grin

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 03:07:04 PM »

Zach, ignore them.  They've got autotuneitis.  They accuse the girl at McDonalds of autotuning her voice on the drive through speaker.

It's a pet peeve of mine.  People learn about something, then they see it everywhere.  So all of these guys, several years back, learned about Autotune.  Now they think they're "in the know" if they hate on it and accuse every band from the beach boys to britney spears of being the same monotonous wash of a pro-tools plugin they downloaded for free off of BTJunkie.com .

Back in the 60's they used double-tracking, reverb & other tricks to mask weak vocals. The technology has changed but the intent hasn't. Sometimes things need to be sweetened to achieve a desired effect. A lot of people think that's a bad thing, that it's dishonest or it's cheating, but it's all just tools of the studio to me.

I agree 100%.  Brian doubled tracked his vocals, so what? Of course he can't do that live, but the intent is to make a record that sounds a certain way.  Fair game. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »

Funny how 95 percent or so of the posters on this board seem to detect autotune immediately. That subject has been trivialized almost as much as the Jeff Foskett issue.

Exactly! They think it's a sign of how intune they are to notice how autotuned somebody else is.  It's bullshit.  Autotune is not drenched all over everything recorded, recently they were all but saying that Brian autotunes his live vocals because they know how it can be done.

Here's where it stems from: A lot of people dabble and make their own music, and they figure out how to use Autotune, then they insist that everybody else must be using it. 

No, they just sound pretty damn good.  They're not using any less or more autotune than anybody else.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

Um, am the I the only person skeptical of what many here have called auto tune?  Guys, this isn't really true auto tune.  It's MINOR pitch correction and a lot of other effects that's making their voices sound that way.  What you're mistaking for auto tune is a lot of other little tricks producers use to make their subjects sound better.  This is the Beach Boys, not Maroon 5 or T Pain.  They're not using THAT much pitch correction, if at all.

Just because it's not used to T Pain extents (when have Maroon 5 used it?) doesn't mean it's not there and it's not annoying and, above all else, unnecessary. If you flubbed a line, you flubbed a line - go back and punch it in. I'll also say that the occasionally "off" line brings character to a vocal. It's f*cking all over the 60s and 70s Beach Boys albums and I would never, ever have it any other way.

Otherwise, manual pitch correction works wonders and, when done well, is completely undetectable in a final mix. I'm not opposed to that at all.

Lazily throwing subtle autotune over a vocal is generally pretty noticeable, and is, again, unnecessary when it'll generally only be a few specific lines or words that were a little sharp or flat. You're compromising the entire vocal over those few words or lines. It's stupid.

Take a little pride in your work - it's the difference between going through your room, cleaning, and organizing or just shoving everything in the closet and calling it done.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:48:17 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »

This use of autotune -- which has no precedent in BW's solo work, with one exception -- is what convinces me that Joe Thomas is still involved with this project.

Imagination featured a lot of pitch correction, on both lead and background vocals. Nothing else Brian has done has used quite as much (indeed, the Disney and Gershwin albums seem to have virtually none).

So unless Brian has suddenly developed a taste for passing every vocal track through the program, that means someone else has to be making those calls. I doubt it's anyone in Brian's band. And given Joe's previous enthusiastic use of the technology ...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »

I'm looking forward to hopefully Dave playing the guitar solo in the song.

Still got it? Heck...he never lost it!

Cut to 1.40sec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCW19GMmNlk
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »

This use of autotune -- which has no precedent in BW's solo work, with one exception -- is what convinces me that Joe Thomas is still involved with this project.

Imagination featured a lot of pitch correction, on both lead and background vocals. Nothing else Brian has done has used quite as much (indeed, the Disney and Gershwin albums seem to have virtually none).

So unless Brian has suddenly developed a taste for passing every vocal track through the program, that means someone else has to be making those calls. I doubt it's anyone in Brian's band. And given Joe's previous enthusiastic use of the technology ...

Definitely. Triple tracked lead vocals..which btw works for Mike at this point. His lead doesn't bug me much in terms of tuning (although a little bit of isolation reveals some lazy tuning on one of the tracks).
The only thing that REALLY bugs me is the tunage on Foskett's "Bom Bom Bom"s. The sound just doesn't work with his voice. Destroys any hint of soul.
The autotune on Brian's harmonies in the bridge actually sounds kinda cool. It does sound like his leads were handled with care.

At the end of the day with or without autotune, it won't make a big difference to how this all plays out. Though who knows, maybe through this message board we CAN make a difference. We just wanna see our favorite band go out with a bang (which will happen regardless).
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »

It's funny, because while I know that autotune bugs some people, and while it's certainly audible here --

It basically works for this. Do It Again is a very monotone, kind of an "automatic" style song, with an almost machine-like beat. Mike sounds pretty cool processed in this way. And Brian sounds fine too, even if there is one too many voices behind his (he seems to have doubled himself, but there's an extra person singing his part, too).

This is how I felt for large parts of Imagination, actually. I knew I shouldn't like the pitch correction, and while it did make Brian sound odd in a few places, it did generally work for the album's purposes (making Brian sound like an AC hitmaker). So it the purpose here is to make the BBs sound more contemporary -- well, maybe it's successful.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 04:33:04 PM »

Brian being doubled on record needs to stop, too. It's extremely apparent that the man can sing just fine nowadays. It shouldn't happen live, either, but I guess I can kinda understand why it's done. Still, I'm not a fan of it.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:34:06 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »

Actually, I think what I hear there is Mike singing along. Which happens in the original record, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah -- Brian's voice these days sounds much better unadorned, with less echo, less multi-tracking, and less ghosting from other people.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »

Actually, I think what I hear there is Mike singing along. Which happens in the original record, I'm pretty sure.

But yeah -- Brian's voice these days sounds much better unadorned, with less echo, less multi-tracking, and less ghosting from other people.

Good call. Was thinking it might be Mike.. and if it is, what a great vocal!

Brian being doubled on record needs to stop, too. It's extremely apparent that the man can sing just fine nowadays. It shouldn't happen live, either, but I guess I can kinda understand why it's done. Still, I'm not a fan of it.

I can see why they'd wanna replace Brian's "s"'s.. but other than that, yeah.. no need for ghosting his voice on record.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:42:24 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »

Yes, that's what popped into my head immediately. I wonder though if Joe Thomas was originally involved as coproducer (which we heard a few months back) and has now been marginalized into some other position, since all the publicity has said "Produced by Brian Wilson, Executive Produced by Mike Love."

I most audibly hear the pitch correction on Mike's voice - it sounds like it is snapping him between notes, as opposed to a more smooth, natural gradient. I like the way he sounds, and the phrasing and cadence are certainly the Mike Love we all know and love, but the timbre of his voice almost sounds like someone else. I wonder if it is because of the processing or just the way his voice has aged. It is definitely cool that they are recording "Do It Again" in the original key, which is something Brian has done in his concerts. It is certainly a rarity for performers of their vintage nowadays.

I agree with the previous poster who said that Brian's vocals sound awesome, and surprisingly it sounds like he is able to approximate his 1969 voice fairly well here. Glad to hear that. He is singing in a 'relaxed' manner like on BWRG and ITKOD.

It is cool that the group chose a relatively minor hit compared to their earlier songs, and one from the 20/20 era to boot. "Do it Again" is also, of course, the perfect message for this reunion.. let's get back together and do it again.

How does everyone feel about the boys coming back with a re-recording of an old surf-and-sun hit? How do you feel it bodes for the direction of the new material? Have we gotten confirmation that this is a standalone track (possibly for the compilation and/or box set) or will it be included on the album? Either way, I am psyched to hear the whole thing.

- B00ts
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011, 07:19:24 PM »

The video says it's meant for the new album.

The press release does not say that. So who knows.

I also bet that Joe Thomas is still fully involved (for a few reasons that will become clearer over time). Also: A co-producer credit is not the same as a dual production credit. That is, Brian and Joe were dually credited as producing Imagination. Scott Bennett is actually listed as co-producer of That Lucky Old Sun, but it's a separate credit line, several lines beneath "Produced and arranged by Brian Wilson." This trick was also pulled on BW88, where Andy Paley is listed as a "co-producer" on several songs, while BW is simply the "producer."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2011, 07:41:51 PM »

It's funny, because while I know that autotune bugs some people, and while it's certainly audible here --

It basically works for this. Do It Again is a very monotone, kind of an "automatic" style song, with an almost machine-like beat. Mike sounds pretty cool processed in this way. And Brian sounds fine too, even if there is one too many voices behind his (he seems to have doubled himself, but there's an extra person singing his part, too).

This is how I felt for large parts of Imagination, actually. I knew I shouldn't like the pitch correction, and while it did make Brian sound odd in a few places, it did generally work for the album's purposes (making Brian sound like an AC hitmaker). So it the purpose here is to make the BBs sound more contemporary -- well, maybe it's successful.

That's pretty much how I see it too.  Doesn't bother my ears at all, it's an effect on the song, and the song sounds fucking FANTASTIC!
Zach95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 06:37:05 AM »

Um, am the I the only person skeptical of what many here have called auto tune?  Guys, this isn't really true auto tune.  It's MINOR pitch correction and a lot of other effects that's making their voices sound that way.  What you're mistaking for auto tune is a lot of other little tricks producers use to make their subjects sound better.  This is the Beach Boys, not Maroon 5 or T Pain.  They're not using THAT much pitch correction, if at all.

Just because it's not used to T Pain extents (when have Maroon 5 used it?) doesn't mean it's not there and it's not annoying and, above all else, unnecessary. If you flubbed a line, you flubbed a line - go back and punch it in. I'll also say that the occasionally "off" line brings character to a vocal. It's f*cking all over the 60s and 70s Beach Boys albums and I would never, ever have it any other way.

Otherwise, manual pitch correction works wonders and, when done well, is completely undetectable in a final mix. I'm not opposed to that at all.

Lazily throwing subtle autotune over a vocal is generally pretty noticeable, and is, again, unnecessary when it'll generally only be a few specific lines or words that were a little sharp or flat. You're compromising the entire vocal over those few words or lines. It's stupid.

Take a little pride in your work - it's the difference between going through your room, cleaning, and organizing or just shoving everything in the closet and calling it done.

Maroon 5 has used it on lots of their latest stuff, ie Moves Like Jagger and Misery.  I agree with the rest of your points though.

Ain't nothin' upside your head!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 06:42:23 AM »

I really don't like the falsetto on this song, it's actually annoying

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »

Maan, no more complaints from me. I'm just pumped to be hearing a brand new Beach Boys record.   Smokin
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »

Stars and Stripes carried a Produced by Brian Wilson and Joe Thomas; Mike Love Executive Producer. If we can eliminate all of the crap from that album, we are at least left with Beach Boys vocals that sounded amazing. Yes?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2011, 09:46:07 AM »

I may be stating the obvious here, but I doubt that this is the final mix, some vocals are too high, others are too low, it needs some tweaking here, I think that what we are hearing is a working mix that has been put out to show us that something is coming soon and not a final mix that is up to scrutinisation by the masses, we shall have to wait to find out though I guess.
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »

The whole shebang:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/42619208/Do%20It%20Again%200707-960x540.mov
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

I may be stating the obvious here, but I doubt that this is the final mix, some vocals are too high, others are too low, it needs some tweaking here, I think that what we are hearing is a working mix that has been put out to show us that something is coming soon and not a final mix that is up to scrutinisation by the masses, we shall have to wait to find out though I guess.
Yes, exactly. As I recall, Mike's vocal is also panned to the left in this mix, which is likely not where it would sit in a final mix.

- B00ts
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2011, 11:36:50 AM »

Great stuff! This sounds better than the clip we saw on Friday - Mike's vocal sounds more natural and is mixed better, for one. No David Marks though unless I am mistaken. Thanks, PS! You just made my Sunday.

I guess this isn't a finished video - the "Getty Images" logo shows us that - not that I care at all, I just want to be the one to point it out.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 12:02:28 PM by b00ts » Logged

- B00ts
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2011, 11:43:41 AM »

O.K.  

That's f*cking awesome.  

Mike doesn't do the "beeennn soooo longgggggg....." as good as the original, but then for the rest of the fade out he does a really cool bass lick over and over again that I haven't heard on the original.

All in all, I think they did a great job, also the video has a nice vibe to it, and the harmony wall sounds great like it always does when you get those guys involved. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:45:44 AM by Ron » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »

Wait.... did hell just freeze over?  I just saw Brian Wilson hug Mike Love. 
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »

OK... Some observatons after listening a few times...

The very beginning sounds like they simply sampled the original drum intro to "Do it Again." From the time that Mike's vocal begins, up until around thirty seconds, we can hear the drummer of the 2011 version hitting his bass drum and tom in the left channel on the three beat, then he comes in with the buildup and the sampled drums go away for the rest of the song.

I will bet dollars to donuts that when the drummer was doing that in the intro to keep time, he was probably hitting on the one beat and Brian told him to hit on the three, which is slightly ingenious as it goes so well with the song's vocal phrasing.

Excellent use of Fender Rhodes with guitar - timeless and contemporary all at once. The two go together like PB&J.

The pitch correction is still there, most notably on Jeff's falsetto and Mike's lead, but it seems to have beem toned down on the latter. In general, Mike's lead sounds a lot better than before because he is brought up in the mix, and the double-tracking seems smoother than it was before. Jeff's voice is so precise normally that he almost sounds autotuned anyway.

Whilst this hews pretty closely to the original arrangement upon first listen, there are a few new little twists that are very musically interesting, particularly in the backing vocals. I LOVE Brian's lead vocal, and I like that Mike starts his "been so long" phrase an octave up. Also, it's cool to be able to make out Brian's harmonies in the lower register.

Overall, very cool stuff! Thanks again for posting this, PS!

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx