gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:55:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145473 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:04 PM »

Plus one.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 22, 2011, 11:49:56 PM »

i don't think phil ever says anything as offensive as most of the posts sent his way.  Some of the attacks are quite pathetic, and hilarious in how personal some people take them.  Yeah, Phil is kinda weird, and an eeyore.  but whatever.

The internet is serious business and anybody who tells you otherwise is a dirty liar.

No mas, por favor.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #627 on: December 22, 2011, 11:54:37 PM »

Please, we have to get back to the original topic: Beach Boys reunion album and tour, future releases, etc...
Let's ignore Phil Cohen, and he'll stop say his silly negative things.
This subject (reunion) is so special, we have so much things to discuss, and we're losing time giving so much attention to Phil.

Works for me.

At least with "Smile", we could discuss what we knew about the music, based on existing bootlegs. This time, we don't even know what era of Beach Boys music Mark Linett & Alan Boyd may be compiling.

To me, that is the exciting part. We're entering uncharted territory, and it's been years since we could say (type?) that. The success of the Smile set showed that there is a market for the non-fun in the sun type deal, and with Mike of all people saying that all types of BB fans need to be catered to, well...we really DON'T know. Maybe if it turns out to be yet another Golden Moldies type thing, we can throw a fit. Until then, though, we can hope for the best. I dunno...I got a really good feeling about this. The whole reunion/album/tour/potential compilations (coupled with the recent release of the Smile box) shows that the main focus seems to be cementing their legacy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: December 23, 2011, 12:01:53 AM »

Phil, here's a serious offer - you post here all your sources for the boots you've helped put out, including where some of the masters originated, and I'll reveal the BB/BW sources you assume I have. Fair exchange.

And yes, my previous post was on a par with the one where I threatened to firebomb his house. Except for being a fucking moron, because he is, as well as a troll and yes, as someone else pointed out, an attention whore. Best way to drive trolls up the wall ? Ignore them..

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: December 23, 2011, 12:25:07 AM »

Please, we have to get back to the original topic: Beach Boys reunion album and tour, future releases, etc...
Let's ignore Phil Cohen, and he'll stop say his silly negative things.
This subject (reunion) is so special, we have so much things to discuss, and we're losing time giving so much attention to Phil.

How much more is there to say? At least with "Smile", we could discuss what we knew about the music, based on existing bootlegs. This time, we don't even know what era of Beach Boys music Mark Linett & Alan Boyd may be compiling.

Who knows, maybe they're not compiling anything at all. Does seem a little quick to release another box after the expansive SMiLe release in 2011.  Cool Guy

Press release is pretty specific - GH collection, career-spanning box set and other reissues, the possible nature of some of which has already been alluded to.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: December 23, 2011, 01:20:34 AM »

Here's the thing...how different will this box set be from the 1993 collection? Also, I wonder how Smile will be handled as we JUST got the box. There's gotta be some kind of thing to hook in the diehards.

As far as reissues go, well...it's needed.  I haven't seen any non-Pet Sounds non-compilation CDs in the BB section at Best Buy or Wal-mart in years (not counting Smile...although that is a compilation of sorts LOL). Hopefully the liner notes will be better, because most of the ones for the 70s twofers were awful.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: December 23, 2011, 01:48:14 AM »

Here's the thing...how different will this box set be from the 1993 collection?

Well, hopefully "LHRW" will be included this time... odd non-album singles, maybe some solo material, and SC/SIP tracks... archive material, natch (if the sole unreleased item is "(WIBNT)LA", I'm good to go) and probably "DIA '11".

And a rewritten booklet with better track info as well.

As for the GH collection, I'm still thinking it'll be 50 tracks, so given the obvious inclusions (Top 40) and starting with "Surfin'", it'd be fun to speculate on the track listing. Actually, even without the 2 Xmas chart hits, and including charting B sides, there are 53 titles up for inclusion 1961-1989.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:59:47 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: December 23, 2011, 01:50:03 AM »

I would love if the reissues are the single album paired with outtakes. Maybe some unbooted material would finally surface!

Look at the sessions section of Andrew's website.  From the info gathered there, these are theoretically possible bonus tracks, although I wouldn't be surprised if some of the songs no longer exist for some reason. Some of these we've heard, many we haven't.

Surf's Up- Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again; Won't You Tell Me

So Tough-  Beatrice From Baltimore ( don't know if the original version of Mess of Help exists but am interested in the lyrics); Out in the Country; Ten Years Harmony

Holland- We Got Love

At this point things get muddled. The infamous 1974 material doesn't have an obvious slot. Tack that on to Holland, or to 15 BO? Sadly, my bet is neither happens, robbing us of ever hearing the 1974 CF -_-

15 Big Ones- Angel Come Home (yup, although I think it was just the backing track and a rough vocal); Sea Cruise; Mony Mony; Clangin'; 10,000 Years Ago; Lisa

Love You- the Adult Child material; You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin

MIU- Mike, Come Back To LA; Burlesque; How's About A Little Bit

LA- Calendar Girl; Looking Down the Coast; Drip Drop (yeah right LOL ); California Feeling (oh God no, not this version); Santa Ana Winds; I'm Begging You Please (umm....no); It's a Beautiful Day

Now, I don't believe any of these actually WILL be on there, but it's fun to dream Wink

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:52:36 AM by Columnated Reunions Domino » Logged

seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 23, 2011, 01:54:56 AM »

Here's the thing...how different will this box set be from the 1993 collection?

Well, hopefully "LHRW" will be included this time... odd non-album singles, maybe some solo material, and SC/SIP tracks... archive material, natch (if the sole unreleased item is "(WIBNT)LA", I'm good to go) and probably "DIA '11".

And a rewritten booklet with better track info as well.

I hope they fix the speed on "It's Over Now," if that track is included.

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 23, 2011, 02:01:22 AM »

All of the above would be fu*kin  brilliiant and I want it all, but will we just get another slug of greatest hits centered around Rhonda and Baa-baa-Barbara freakin' Anne?

It's 1975 members vs the world... Tongue
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:05:20 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 23, 2011, 02:07:43 AM »

In the recent interview with Linett and Boyd they hinted that the release of SMiLE could bring out other tapes and perhaps a SMiLE 2 would be released.. Did they say that?? I am doubting my memory...

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: December 23, 2011, 02:09:47 AM »

All of the above would be fu*kin  brilliiant and I want it all, but will we just get another slug of greatest hits centered around Rhonda and Baa-baa-Barbara freakin' Anne?

Not really: the GH set would be for Joe Q. Public, the box would be for the likes of us.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 23, 2011, 02:18:54 AM »

Not really: the GH set would be for Joe Q. Public, the box would be for the likes of us.

Yay!!!  Capitol/EMI, please accept my b/s pre-order.  AGD, inspiring words as always, free beers when ever you get to Melbourne, the colonies - cheers  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:23:05 AM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 23, 2011, 02:19:16 AM »

Hopefully the liner notes will be better, because most of the ones for the 70s twofers were awful.
The liners for the KTSA portion of the KTSA/BB 1985 are particularly unnerving. The poor guy seems to be suggesting that something somewhat positive can be had in listening to When Girls Get Together. Get this guy to a mental institute, pronto! I hear that Carol Kaye makes for a good room mate.  Evil  Razz

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #639 on: December 23, 2011, 02:27:36 AM »

I've always considered those liners to be slightly beyond excellent in all aspects.  Grin

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 23, 2011, 02:37:33 AM »

How much material is unreleased from the period, where Brian Wilson pulled
that  Soul Searchin song for his Gettin Over My Head album with Carl Wilson
singing? when was that, how much of it is there. was this from an aborted
attempt at an album  by the Beach Boys including Brian Wilson.

Has Brian Wilson pulled other aborted Beach Boy recordings and used them
on recent solo albums besides this one instance.

What is a good educated opinion, on whether or not the Beach Boys on this new album
would cull some of this (90's ?) material and overdub it and use a couple of tracks
already in the can.

Why was the Soul Searchin album abandoned?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:39:32 AM by vintagemusic » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 23, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »

Best way to drive trolls up the wall ? Ignore them..

Actually, best way to drive trolls up the wall is to send a few goats over the bridge as bait. :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #642 on: December 23, 2011, 02:41:15 AM »

Actually, best way to drive trolls up the wall is to send a few goats over the bridge as bait. :D

Damn - fresh out.  Angry

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 23, 2011, 02:42:59 AM »

Damn - fresh out.  Angry

Grin

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #644 on: December 23, 2011, 02:45:51 AM »

attempt at an album  by the Beach Boys including Brian Wilson.

Yes, the famous V2 fiasco. There's also "You're Still A Mystery".

Not BB recordings - he doesn't have the rights to do that unless BRI votes in favour.

What is a good educated opinion, on whether or not the Beach Boys on this new album
would cull some of this (90's ?) material and overdub it and use a couple of tracks
already in the can.

I think it'll use archive tracks, but not from 1994. Hopefully they would be on the new box.

Concisely, Brian's management decided he'd be better served by recording a solo album. Bruce has been very vocal in the past about how dumb a stunt that was.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:47:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: December 23, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »

Over the last couple of weeks I have purchased vastly expanded reissued albums by The Association and Harpers Bizarre, if groups of this stature can get the deluxe treatment then I have no doubt that there is a market for new expanded Beach Boy albums and that record execs realise this. While the twofers are great, all the post Holland pairings are crying out for bonus material. I don't care that by that point the band was past it's prime, as a BB's completest I'd like to have versions of pretty much everything they recorded. Also I'm guessing much of the rare tracks from the GV box could be improved sonically from 1993 standards? San Miguel sounds so quiet to these ears.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 23, 2011, 04:26:31 AM »

Over the last couple of weeks I have purchased vastly expanded reissued albums by The Association and Harpers Bizarre, if groups of this stature can get the deluxe treatment then I have no doubt that there is a market for new expanded Beach Boy albums and that record execs realise this.

Of course I would love to have deluxe editions of all the albums, but what does make this a bit complicated is the fact that groups like The Association and Harpers Bizzare have like five or maybe ten albums, while The Beach Boys have 28.
PhilCohen
« Reply #647 on: December 23, 2011, 04:31:55 AM »

Phil, here's a serious offer - you post here all your sources for the boots you've helped put out, including where some of the masters originated, and I'll reveal the BB/BW sources you assume I have. Fair exchange.

And yes, my previous post was on a par with the one where I threatened to firebomb his house. Except for being a f*cking moron, because he is, as well as a troll and yes, as someone else pointed out, an attention whore. Best way to drive trolls up the wall ? Ignore them..

I've never compiled a manufactured(aluminum disc) bootleg by any artist.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 23, 2011, 04:34:56 AM »

attempt at an album by the Beach Boys including Brian Wilson.

Yes, the famous V2 fiasco. There's also "You're Still A Mystery".

Not BB recordings - he doesn't have the rights to do that unless BRI votes in favour.

already in the can.

I think it'll use archive tracks, but not from 1994. Hopefully they would be on the new box.

Concisely, Brian's management decided he'd be better served by recording a solo album. Bruce has been very vocal in the past about how dumb a stunt that was.

Thank you for that info Andrew. I don't know what the V2 Fiasco is. But I Get there was an aborted Beach Boy reunion album in the 90's
I presume. Carl would have been alive, and when I heard Soul Searchin on the Wilson solo album, and heard that it was originally an unreleased
Beach Boy track, I thought, this is pretty good why didn't they put this out before. So sometime around the same period as the orange crate art album
the Beach Boys were gonna make an album, and Brian Wilson abandoned it, So you think they might revisit some of those apparently good sounding
tracks and use one or two on this new album in revamped form? that's cool, that would mean Carl Wilson could appear on a couple tracks. WOW

Am I the one who is being called a troll ?

I am just hyped up about the new album, and am trying to learn some stuff and get a handle in my head about what they might do.
I think it would be cool if a couple tracks featured Carl Wilson from this aborted album in the 90's.I have never heard the Mystery song I checked
on you tube but its not up there.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #649 on: December 23, 2011, 05:00:27 AM »

Off Topic.

Thanks for people's kind PM's about my sister. She is past the worst and should make a full recovery thankfully! The news about the reunion has been something positive these last few weeks though

I wish everyone a verry merry christmas.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx