gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:30:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145388 times)
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #575 on: December 21, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »

It's nice to see AGD and Phil at war once more..

Like old times

I feel a bit like Luke Skywalker meeting up with Darth Vader....but without the light sabers.
More like Courtney Love talking to Vanity Fair, without the fawning interviewer.

- B00ts
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 21, 2011, 04:18:51 PM »

Quoting in case somebody missed it because they didn't want to read through the argutards.  Wink

No mas, por favor.
PhilCohen
« Reply #577 on: December 21, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »

Quoting in case somebody missed it because they didn't want to read through the argutards.  Wink

"Argutards"? Is this a word that you've invented?
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 21, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »

"Argutards"? Is this a word that you've invented?

Surely you've heard the saying about arguing on the internet and the Special Olympics. I'm just a lazy bastard and combined the saying into a simple word.

I know, I know. It's appalling.

No mas, por favor.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 21, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »

Excellent interview!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 21, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »

Mr.Doe obviously feels that secrecy surrounding the 2012 projects is justified.

That's about the first thing you've said connected with the BB this year that you've got right. Told you all along, that was the gameplan: keep it close, no leaks. And there weren't, and the critical response was overwhelmingly positive. In short, it worked. Only one person ever railed against it.

You don't think that there was any reason for the fans to worry during Capitol's 5 months of total silence concerning the "Smile" box set. But then again, you had access to inside information, none of which you were willing to share with the public, even though you could have de-fused a tense situation.

Tense in your mind only Phil. Why do you seem to think that anytime the BB's announce a new project you must be privy to inside information every other minute? There's been no update on the reunion album for a couple of days now - I guess that now falls into the troubled project category, huh?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 21, 2011, 08:42:52 PM »

What the hell is Phil Cohen talking about? He is the one who kept saying there would
be no SMiLE box set or release, and he is blaming Andrew Doe for what exactly ?

For making people think it wouldn't come true because he kept certain information private?

I'd say the one who made me feel tense was you Phil, saying it was all a Kennedyesque stroke
tease and conspiracy, Mr Doe gave me good vibes by assuring everyone it was no joke, that it
was real, and thats whats happened.

As far as a wall of secrecy of 2012, we just saw footage of them recording a new song that they
allowed us to see, thats hardly secret

The big news is SMiLe came out, its great, its fantastic, and I opened mine early, (xmas) and oh my
God the packaging, the songs, the fidelity! WOW

the other big news is they are doing a new album and going on tour, the additional archival releases
whatever they end up being, Smile, the tour and the new album is the biggest stuff, the remaining archival
stuff we'll have to wait awhile and see, more will be revealed, I think its below the belt to slag off on
Andrew Doe, he helped tell us a lot of cool stuff, while you kept saying it was all a hoax.

Maybe Andrew Doe does know something about the archival releases he hasn't said, so what, take a chill
pill, kick off your shoes and watch the new DIA video its great and when you get tired of that play the SMiLE box

I only got the two disc, but I had no idea the two disc had a booklet and a button and what is that? is there a deluxe
two disc set? I cant believe this only cost twenty dollars oh my freakin God wow is all I can say, there must be a more
simple two disc set for 20-30 bucks this thing I have must cost more, its got a poster, and this artwork and a button
and oh my God

Phil Mr Doe has been on the money so far, so if you shut up and act nice maybe we'll get some info
Hell the guy writes books on this stuff and does liner notes for their albums, and your'e slagging the guy off, what the hell
is wrong with you

The Beach Boys have a ton of stuff in the can apparently, maybe Mr Doe will enlighten us, when you lighten up
PhilCohen
« Reply #582 on: December 22, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »

What the hell is Phil Cohen talking about? He is the one who kept saying there would
be no SMiLE box set or release, and he is blaming Andrew Doe for what exactly ?

For making people think it wouldn't come true because he kept certain information private?

I'd say the one who made me feel tense was you Phil, saying it was all a Kennedyesque stroke
tease and conspiracy, Mr Doe gave me good vibes by assuring everyone it was no joke, that it
was real, and thats whats happened.

As far as a wall of secrecy of 2012, we just saw footage of them recording a new song that they
allowed us to see, thats hardly secret

The big news is SMiLe came out, its great, its fantastic, and I opened mine early, (xmas) and oh my
God the packaging, the songs, the fidelity! WOW

the other big news is they are doing a new album and going on tour, the additional archival releases
whatever they end up being, Smile, the tour and the new album is the biggest stuff, the remaining archival
stuff we'll have to wait awhile and see, more will be revealed, I think its below the belt to slag off on
Andrew Doe, he helped tell us a lot of cool stuff, while you kept saying it was all a hoax.

Maybe Andrew Doe does know something about the archival releases he hasn't said, so what, take a chill
pill, kick off your shoes and watch the new DIA video its great and when you get tired of that play the SMiLE box

I only got the two disc, but I had no idea the two disc had a booklet and a button and what is that? is there a deluxe
two disc set? I cant believe this only cost twenty dollars oh my freakin God wow is all I can say, there must be a more
simple two disc set for 20-30 bucks this thing I have must cost more, its got a poster, and this artwork and a button
and oh my God

Phil Mr Doe has been on the money so far, so if you shut up and act nice maybe we'll get some info
Hell the guy writes books on this stuff and does liner notes for their albums, and your'e slagging the guy off, what the hell
is wrong with you

The Beach Boys have a ton of stuff in the can apparently, maybe Mr Doe will enlighten us, when you lighten up

While there isn't any reason to worry that the reunion album & tour won't happen, if we get 5 to 6 months of total silence from Capitol & The Beach Boys concerning the CD box set and other archival projects, then there might be reason for fans to be concerned.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 22, 2011, 01:05:12 AM »

You're still talking about that sh*t, Phil? Disconnect man...seriously.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
seanmurd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 22, 2011, 07:33:48 AM »

While there isn't any reason to worry that the reunion album & tour won't happen, if we get 5 to 6 months of total silence from Capitol & The Beach Boys concerning the CD box set and other archival projects, then there might be reason for fans to be concerned.

Five to six months of total silence on the SMiLE project didn't mean there was cause for concern. Since the tour is launching in the first half of the year, and they probably want the album to coincide with it, I'd say those two things are a lock for the next six months. But the other projects -- the new box set and unspecified "archival projects" -- sound like they will take some time to prepare, and probably won't be released until the third quarter (earliest) and/or fourth quarter of 2012. So I disagree with you -- I think 5-6 months of total silence on these large vault projects CAN be expected, and that would NOT be reason for concern. They're going to want to highlight the tour and the album for the next few months, so I would be surprised if we heard ANYTHING else about the archival stuff until June or July (or even later).

Unlike most people here playing "dog pile on the rabbit" (Bugs Bunny reference), I think you've softened your tone in this recent spate of posts . You're not nearly as condescending and insulting as you were last summer, sneering at the "SMiLE dreamers" who wouldn't listen to your Chicken Little act -- and who all ended up being thoroughly vindicated. You're stubbornly sticking with your "accentuate the negative" outlook, and hey -- that's your right. I don't think anything you've posted in the last few days was worthy of the venom that came back at you. What I don't get is what YOU'RE getting out of this -- the sky didn't fall, as you insisted it would, and the wolf you cried about never showed up to terrorize the village. You've been discredited, and no one (proportionally speaking) wants to hear any more of it from you. Even if you're willing to sow your negative seed more politely (as you have, imo) ... why do it at all?

You prefaced several of your posts by promising not to be upset if things don't get released -- a good start, I thought -- so why go that extra step and remind us of the alleged "information blackout" that was a conspiracy only in your own imagination? I'm actually posting this NOT to continue the barrage of attacks on you -- I'm actually sick of the attacks too, and I'd love it if they STOPPED -- I just don't understand why you continue to deliberately (seemingly) invite the abuse upon yourself. Is it that important to get your concerns "on the record" so you can say "I told you so" if it all falls apart?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:35:00 AM by seanmurd » Logged

---------------------------
Sean Murdock
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #585 on: December 22, 2011, 08:19:47 AM »

Five to six months of total silence on the SMiLE project didn't mean there was cause for concern. Since the tour is launching in the first half of the year, and they probably want the album to coincide with it, I'd say those two things are a lock for the next six months. But the other projects -- the new box set and unspecified "archival projects" -- sound like they will take some time to prepare, and probably won't be released until the third quarter (earliest) and/or fourth quarter of 2012. So I disagree with you -- I think 5-6 months of total silence on these large vault projects CAN be expected, and that would NOT be reason for concern. They're going to want to highlight the tour and the album for the next few months, so I would be surprised if we heard ANYTHING else about the archival stuff until June or July (or even later).

Unlike most people here playing "dog pile on the rabbit" (Bugs Bunny reference), I think you've softened your tone in this recent spate of posts . You're not nearly as condescending and insulting as you were last summer, sneering at the "SMiLE dreamers" who wouldn't listen to your Chicken Little act -- and who all ended up being thoroughly vindicated. You're stubbornly sticking with your "accentuate the negative" outlook, and hey -- that's your right. I don't think anything you've posted in the last few days was worthy of the venom that came back at you. What I don't get is what YOU'RE getting out of this -- the sky didn't fall, as you insisted it would, and the wolf you cried about never showed up to terrorize the village. You've been discredited, and no one (proportionally speaking) wants to hear any more of it from you. Even if you're willing to sow your negative seed more politely (as you have, imo) ... why do it at all?

You prefaced several of your posts by promising not to be upset if things don't get released -- a good start, I thought -- so why go that extra step and remind us of the alleged "information blackout" that was a conspiracy only in your own imagination? I'm actually posting this NOT to continue the barrage of attacks on you -- I'm actually sick of the attacks too, and I'd love it if they STOPPED -- I just don't understand why you continue to deliberately (seemingly) invite the abuse upon yourself. Is it that important to get your concerns "on the record" so you can say "I told you so" if it all falls apart?

Absolutely. I always find these attacks on you very unsavoury, but I'm beginning to suspect you actually enjoy the reaction you get. You seem to actively seek it. Personally I just want to be reading positive things about this fantastic turn of events. I'm sure you find the reunion as welcome as any BB fan. Let's hear about that

Sadly though, it may be that however positive your posts were to become, the negative reactions to you would continue, especially from the more sycophantic elements on this board.

vintagemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

That was great! Could we just try it once more

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 22, 2011, 08:24:07 AM »

Frankly, I think the real story is, the Beach Boys have returned from being nearly
totally defunct to an unbelievable SMiLE release. The Most famous unreleased album
in history. Plus a brand new studio album and a tour! and more archival releases to come.

To say Phil Cohen is discredited is putting it mildly. But who would have thought SMile, and
a great release at that, and everything else.

Wilson had the most prolific period of his career since the sixties going, he must have released
nearly ten albums in the last ten years, so yes it's true Smile and a new Beach Boys album and
tour seemed extremely unlikely. But once it arrived it really did arrive, and we all have to adjust
our thinking to the facts and new reality.

This couldn't be better as a fan of the group SMile a new album and a tour, what else could anybody
hope for! Its a glorious time to like the Beach Boys. They are giving what other surviving classic bands
have refused or been unable to do, archival and new material on magnificent scale..

I don't know much about the Beach Boys unreleased material, the one thing I am sure of from observation
and reading, I would not expect anything archival while Smile and the new album are in progress, and I would
not expect archival releases from a period when Brian Wilson was not participating, while he is in the middle of
the reunion. Any albums featuring lots of non Wilson Beach Boy material, I would think that would come after
Wilson is long since finished recording and touring with the band. Unless the reunion is permanent, which I highly
doubt. I wonder if Wilson will retire after this flurry of activity, he will be what ? 73 by the time its all said and done.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #587 on: December 22, 2011, 11:04:46 AM »

I could happily and comfortably come up with a double album of outtakes and alt takes from 69-74 and more if we extend it to 79, though the pickings are pretty lean beyond that.  Not everything would be a gem, but so what? On top of that, how about a good live set from the Blondie and Ricky days and from the 93 tour with the 'unplugged' set that Al wanted?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: December 22, 2011, 11:39:57 AM »

On top of that, how about a good live set from the Blondie and Ricky days and from the 93 tour with the 'unplugged' set that Al wanted?

CHICAGO '65 !!!! Band on top of their early game. Brian with them. Please let me wonder live !!!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 22, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »

On top of that, how about a good live set from the Blondie and Ricky days and from the 93 tour with the 'unplugged' set that Al wanted?

CHICAGO '65 !!!! Band on top of their early game. Brian with them. Please let me wonder live !!!
Wait, Brian did Please let me wonder live in his prime! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: December 22, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »

Wait, Brian did Please let me wonder live in his prime! w00t!

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10080.msg179464.html#msg179464

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: December 22, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »

.. and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bicycle.

Phil. You're a moron. A complete fucking idiot. A waste of sperm. I will personally mobilize all my contacts, exert my considerable influence and see to it that no-one tells you a thing about the reunion reissues. Because you don't deserve it - you not a fan at all, you're border line psychopath. You worry about things that haven't happened yet. When you go to bed (assuming you do sleep) do you worry you might not wake up in the morning, or that one of your legs might vanish in the night ? Seriously man, you need help, and urgently. That or putting down, like a mad dog.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 22, 2011, 02:48:30 PM »

Here's an analogy(even if some of you won't understand why I'm citing this as an example). Neil Young put his fans through more than a decade of teasing his fans(via interviews) about his first "Archives" box set, then more than 6 cancelled release dates(spread over 2 years) before finally permitting the box set to be released. You'll now notice that(unlike in the years leading up to "Archives Vol.1") that almost no one is clamoring for Vol.2 ........

Whoa Philly!
Head over to here: http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/
which is basically the Neil fans' version of THIS board (much different of course).

There has been A LOT of "clamoring" for Archives 2 (AND for releases of albums such as "Time Fades Away") (sign the petition while you're there) but the clamoring is somewhat mitigated, somewhat I say, because Neil continues to give us NEW releases "Le Noise", archive releases "A Treasure" plus his outstanding live concerts.

Neil works on his own time -- he's an Artist in EVERY sense of the word.  No one can push him or rush him, but get out of his way when he's ready to deliver.  It's always worth the journey.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #593 on: December 22, 2011, 03:18:56 PM »

.. and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a bicycle.

Phil. You're a moron. A complete f*cking idiot. A waste of sperm. I will personally mobilize all my contacts, exert my considerable influence and see to it that no-one tells you a thing about the reunion reissues. Because you don't deserve it - you not a fan at all, you're border line psychopath. You worry about things that haven't happened yet. When you go to bed (assuming you do sleep) do you worry you might not wake up in the morning, or that one of your legs might vanish in the night ? Seriously man, you need help, and urgently. That or putting down, like a mad dog.  Grin

At the moment I'm nursing my sister through cancer (hopefully not terminal). I come on here for a bit of an escape, not to read bullsh*t like this. If you don't like his posts Andrew, just ignore them. Don't subject us to your nasty little rants. Though I don't agree with much Phil says, I find your replies to him offensive and unnecessary.

Life really is too short and precious for this sort of aggression.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:02:34 PM by Iron Horse-Apples » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 22, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

1 - permission to be exceedingly smug for about a week...

2 - will those already picking it apart kindly SHUT THE f*ck UP. Don't like the idea, fine, just go away and leave those of us who can to enjoy the prospect.

Thank you
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 22, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »

Too much Andrew. Too much.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 22, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »

Hey guys, it's Christmas..ya know  Drinking Buddies

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 22, 2011, 04:00:39 PM »

I agree (for what it's worth). Andrew's rebuttals are crossing the line into nasty and mean spirited territory and are far less pleasant to read than anything Phil has been writing.

Chill AGD.  Smokin
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 22, 2011, 04:03:35 PM »

I'm siding with AGD in this dispute, but these arguments are getting very heated.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 22, 2011, 04:05:50 PM »

I think both members involved need to go outside for a while. Do some yard work OR go for a nice walk.

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx