gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:38:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 144603 times)
PhilCohen
« Reply #550 on: December 21, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »

Obviously, during the creation of "The Smile Sessions" box sets, the compilers & Capitol Records executives were walking on eggshells, during complex negotiations with the surviving Beach Boys, the two estates, various song publishers and artist Frank Holmes, and these negotiations were fraught with potential problems, and, at various junctures, could have easily collapsed.

But, in the compiling of a 2012 box set and greatest hits CD(and perhaps, deluxe expanded editions or remixed stereo versions of a few albums), the stakes are not so high this time, and the potential risks & pitfalls are not so extreme.

This leads to the question of whether an extreme wall of secrecy is really neccessary this time.

My viewpoint, this time, is that I'm delighted if these CD's are released, but if some of the projects don't materialize, I'm not gonna be freaked out or upset.
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 21, 2011, 11:14:48 AM »

here we go again

PhilCohen
« Reply #552 on: December 21, 2011, 11:18:18 AM »

here we go again

Here we (hopefully don't) go again. It's up to Capitol Records and The Beach Boys.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 21, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

Awesome. Let's leave it at that, then :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #554 on: December 21, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »

Obviously, during the creation of "The Smile Sessions" box sets, the compilers & Capitol Records executives were walking on eggshells, during complex negotiations with the surviving Beach Boys, the two estates, various song publishers and artist Frank Holmes, and these negotiations were fraught with potential problems, and, at various junctures, could have easily collapsed.

But, in the compiling of a 2012 box set and greatest hits CD(and perhaps, deluxe expanded editions or remixed stereo versions of a few albums), the stakes are not so high this time, and the potential risks & pitfalls are not so extreme.

This leads to the question of whether an extreme wall of secrecy is really neccessary this time.

My viewpoint, this time, is that I'm delighted if these CD's are released, but if some of the projects don't materialize, I'm not gonna be freaked out or upset.
Phil, Phil, Phil, Phil, Phil... If ever there was a 'sure thing' in the world of The Beach Boys, the box set and reissues are a 'sure thing.' There is a lot of money to be made, and as you said yourself, there is less 'walking on eggshells' now with the reunion and all.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride, my friend.

- B00ts
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #555 on: December 21, 2011, 12:06:56 PM »

You were party to those negotiations, I take it ? I mean, to make such an unequivocal statement, you had to be. But wait... if this is so, then why were you complaining so vocally that no-one was saying anything ? Phil, I call you for talking complete and utter bullshit - as the summer unrolled it because patently obvious that you didn't have the first idea regarding what was happening with the project (example: you were all telling us it was in trouble, when the 'trouble' was the set being expanded from three discs to five: I'll have me some more of that kind of trouble, please). You have no idea what those negotiations entailed, when they started, when they were completed and any problems therein. And if you say anything to the contrary, I'll call you the liar you'd be.

1. the 'wall of secrecy' was entirely successful in keeping speculation, if not exactly rampant, then high.
2. it had the unexpected bonus of pissing you off, which is fine by all of us here.

Again, complete bullshit - if even one of the announced projects doesn't materialise, you'll bitch like like a Honey Badger with PMT. Because that's what you do. You're setting yourself up for another round of being made to look like a complete fool. Best quit while you're still breaking even. i might be many things you don't like, but one thing I'm not and that's a liar of CK proportions. "Obviously..." nothing - you don't know anything. Worse, you don't know you don't know anything.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
PhilCohen
« Reply #556 on: December 21, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »

I won't be complaining if one(or more) of these projects don't materialize. Having those stereo remixes would be very nice indeed, but as for the music itself, the majority of the music that the group recorded in the studio is now(officially or unofficially) in our hands. The most significant item that most of us were seeking was an official release of "Smile", and we've now got it. Mr.Doe obviously feels that secrecy surrounding the 2012 projects is justified.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 21, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »

It is probably just me , but this post smack of pompous self importnace and is clear attempt to rattle a few cages.Also a desperate attempt to gain attention once again.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #558 on: December 21, 2011, 01:11:32 PM »

Mr.Doe obviously feels that secrecy surrounding the 2012 projects is justified.

That's about the first thing you've said connected with the BB this year that you've got right. Told you all along, that was the gameplan: keep it close, no leaks. And there weren't, and the critical response was overwhelmingly positive. In short, it worked. Only one person ever railed against it.

PhilCohen
« Reply #559 on: December 21, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »

Here's an analogy(even if some of you won't understand why I'm citing this as an example). Neil Young put his fans through more than a decade of teasing his fans(via interviews) about his first "Archives" box set, then more than 6 cancelled release dates(spread over 2 years) before finally permitting the box set to be released. You'll now notice that(unlike in the years leading up to "Archives Vol.1") that almost no one is clamoring for Vol.2 . It's not that his fans wouldn't welcome or buy such a release, but there's a general consensus that Young's fans are unwilling to go through 10 years of game-playing and teasing to extract Vol.2 from a reluctant Neil. His fans have been there, and been through that. Young's fans are happy enough that their tempermental star finally handed over Vol.1. And, as a Beach Boys fan, I'm delighted that they handed over "Smile".

I, and many other Beach Boys fans DO want more archival CD's....but, as for tense, anxiety-filled waiting(a situation worsened by a wall of secrecy), we have been there, and been through that before. This is why I'm not so obsessed and insistant that we get all of these proposed or rumored Beach Boys archival CD's. Do I(and many others) want these recordings? Yes. Do most people want to be tortured or put through an anxiety-filled bummer for these recordings? No.
PhilCohen
« Reply #560 on: December 21, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »

That's about the first thing you've said connected with the BB this year that you've got right. Told you all along, that was the gameplan: keep it close, no leaks. And there weren't, and the critical response was overwhelmingly positive. In short, it worked. Only one person ever railed against it.

You don't think that there was any reason for the fans to worry during Capitol's 5 months of total silence concerning the "Smile" box set. But then again, you had access to inside information, none of which you were willing to share with the public, even though you could have de-fused a tense situation.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:27:39 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 21, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »

You don't think that there was any reason for the fans to worry during Capitol's 5 months of total silence concerning the "Smile" box set. But then again, you had access to inside information, none of which you were willing to share the public, even though you could have de-fused a tense situation.

I think AGD did all he could, without revealing his sources, to suggest that the project was on track.

And given his track record at this point, I would trust him on this kind of thing. Just saying.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 21, 2011, 01:28:19 PM »

Here's an analogy(even if some of you won't understand why I'm citing this as an example). Neil Young put his fans through more than a decade of teasing his fans(via interviews) about his first "Archives" box set, then more than 6 cancelled release dates(spread over 2 years) before finally permitting the box set to be released. You'll now notice that(unlike in the years leading up to "Archives Vol.1") that almost no one is clamoring for Vol.2 . It's not that his fans wouldn't welcome or buy such a release, but there's a general consensus that Young's fans are unwilling to go through 10 years of game-playing and teasing to extract Vol.2 from a reluctant Neil. His fans have been there, and been through that. Young's fans are happy enough that their tempermental star finally handed over Vol.1. And, as a Beach Boys fan, I'm delighted that they handed over "Smile".

I, and many other Beach Boys fans DO want more archival CD's....but, as for tense, anxiety-filled waiting(a situation worsened by a wall of secrecy), we have been there, and been through that before. This is why I'm not so obsessed and insistant that we get all of these proposed or rumored Beach Boys archival CD's. Do I(and many others) want these recordings? Yes. Do most people want to be tortured or put through an anxiety-filled bummer for these recordings? No.

What a daft take you have on the world. I don't regard these waits as torture, just a prelim to the ecstasy. Call it the seduction.

As for Archives II , I think Neil's fans are probably still absorbing Archives I, and happy for a lull before II comes out - we need a little time to save up, especially those of us shelled out for Blu-ray players! Wink

Calm down and please quit assuming to speak on behalf of people you can't begin to align yourself with.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #563 on: December 21, 2011, 01:45:42 PM »

But then again, you had access to inside information, none of which you were willing to share with the public, even though you could have de-fused a tense situation.

Which point proves you to be a complete idiot. Assuming I did have access to such 'inside information', had I shared it with the public as you demanded, any such access would have vanished so fast Usain Bolt would have applauded. There's a reason why people might speak to me and not you: I can keep a confidence. You've proven you cannot. More, you're shown that the concept of keeping confidential information to oneself, as requested, is totally alien to your nature. Your type is the last kind of person I'd share anything more than the time of day with.

Also, there was no 'tense situation', except in your own mind. You kin to Bill Tobleman, by any chance ? You seem to share the same powers of not only invention but also convincing yourselves that what you say is a fact.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #564 on: December 21, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »

Beach Boys fans are by definition, intelligent people.

Give yourselves a big pat on the back!

I'm just off to bed with my high intelligence and personality disorder. (The one that involves trying to get laughs for attention and normally failing dismally)

That's mine

What's yours?
PhilCohen
« Reply #565 on: December 21, 2011, 02:54:51 PM »

I won't be surprised, that even in April(when the group plays the first show of the reunion tour), that Capitol will still divulge absolutely nothing about the archival projects.....but that they WILL release a greatest hits CD.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #566 on: December 21, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »

I won't be surprised, that even in April(when the group plays the first show of the reunion tour), that Capitol will still divulge absolutely nothing about the archival projects.....but that they WILL release a greatest hits CD.

We know they will, 'cause it says so in the press release. I'm willing to bet it'll be a 50 track 2CD set.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 21, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »

It's nice to see AGD and Phil at war once more..

Like old times

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 21, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »

Yeah, like way back when, earlier this year  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 21, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »

Yeah, like way back when, earlier this year  LOL

LOL

Seems like old times  Azn

D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 21, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »

David Marks enters the room :

http://www.examiner.com/beach-boys-in-national/david-marks-is-ready-to-do-it-again
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #571 on: December 21, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »

Thank you !

This sounds very good:

Afterward, Brian, Mike and I sang a little around the microphone, but we kept laughing so I’m not sure how good it turned out, but it was a lot of fun.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
PhilCohen
« Reply #572 on: December 21, 2011, 03:55:53 PM »

Like old times

I feel a bit like Luke Skywalker meeting up with Darth Vader....but without the light sabers.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 21, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »

Like old times

I feel a bit like Luke Skywalker meeting up with Darth Vader....but without the light sabers.

Not light sabers, just Keyboards

b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #574 on: December 21, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

Beach Boys fans are by definition, intelligent people.

Give yourselves a big pat on the back!

I'm just off to bed with my high intelligence and personality disorder. (The one that involves trying to get laughs for attention and normally failing dismally)

That's mine

What's yours?
Mine is just that I'm a sociopath. I'm not intelligent, though, so that broad brush I was painting with doesn't colour me.

- B00ts
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx