gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:10:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 144605 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 20, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »

Phil didn't make a statement, he asked a question.

How can you be wrong by asking a question?

On this board even a question is wrong  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 20, 2011, 10:02:01 AM »

The Beach Boys may not have a bottomless pit of unreleased songs but the well is far from dry yet. And that's before you take into account all the archived live performances they potentially have at their disposal. I know Mike has mentioned before that he doesn't wish to scrape the bottom of the barrel so it may come down to what is left the band is willing to authorise for release.
A question for AGD is, as the band have been on several labels throughout their career, does that effect what they own rights-wise from their unrealised back catalogue?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:14:41 AM by The Return of the Son of Mike's Beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 20, 2011, 10:13:28 AM »

Wait a second. I'm not denying the brilliance of the "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up" albums, or that "Holland" has some fine vocals. The uneven(and sometimes bad) stuff comes after the group's 3 year hiatus from releasing studio material(reportedly because Reprise Records wouldn't accept recordings with no Brian Wilson involvement). Brian's voice starts to show damage from substance abuse, the touring members increasingly become an oldies band(particularly after the unexpected success of Capitol's compilations of 1962-65 material), and the group starts recording some particularly bad cover versions(especially the cover versions that didn't get released). With Brian only occasionally participating, the production craftsmanship suffers when he's not there.
                             I'm not saying that there aren't occasional good tracks on the post-1974 albums, but it is obvious that the group's heyday was on the recordings made between 1962 & 1972.

But Phil, so you are saying you wouldn't be interested in outtakes from Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions "So Tough", or Holland? Or even some material from the 1974 Caribou sessions?  The 1974 "California Feelin'"? Or possibly material Brian worked on randomly in the "fallow" years, like the re-recording of "In the Back of My Mind"? That all sounds VERY interesting to me. And guess what, even though they did end up having some embarrassing material after 1976, they also had a lot of good, interesting stuff, especially from Brian and Dennis, so I think there is quite a lot that they should still release.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 20, 2011, 10:26:49 AM »

A question for AGD is, as the band have been on several labels throughout their career, does that effect what they own rights-wise from their unrealised back catalogue?

They had three, really. Capitol, Warners and CBS. I believe that all the albums post-Capitol and released under the Brother imprint are actually owned by the band, so rights issues aren't a big deal. They licensed the whole back catalog to Capitol for the early 00s re-releases, for example.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 20, 2011, 10:41:23 AM »

Thanks Wirestone. It really depends on the band then. Despite what Phil may claim, I imagine the record company would be falling over itself to put out more vaults material, especially after The Smile Sessions being such a smash.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »

I'm guessing the "worldwide" part of the tour equates to something like ....

Germany - Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt

2 confirmed German dates so far:

Aug. 3, Berlin, o2 World
Aug. 4, Stuttgart, Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:18:22 AM by Christian » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 20, 2011, 11:56:30 AM »

Damn! Source?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
PhilCohen
« Reply #507 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »

Wait a second. I'm not denying the brilliance of the "Sunflower" & "Surf's Up" albums, or that "Holland" has some fine vocals. The uneven(and sometimes bad) stuff comes after the group's 3 year hiatus from releasing studio material(reportedly because Reprise Records wouldn't accept recordings with no Brian Wilson involvement). Brian's voice starts to show damage from substance abuse, the touring members increasingly become an oldies band(particularly after the unexpected success of Capitol's compilations of 1962-65 material), and the group starts recording some particularly bad cover versions(especially the cover versions that didn't get released). With Brian only occasionally participating, the production craftsmanship suffers when he's not there.
                             I'm not saying that there aren't occasional good tracks on the post-1974 albums, but it is obvious that the group's heyday was on the recordings made between 1962 & 1972.

But Phil, so you are saying you wouldn't be interested in outtakes from Sunflower, Surf's Up, Carl & The Passions "So Tough", or Holland? Or even some material from the 1974 Caribou sessions?  The 1974 "California Feelin'"? Or possibly material Brian worked on randomly in the "fallow" years, like the re-recording of "In the Back of My Mind"? That all sounds VERY interesting to me. And guess what, even though they did end up having some embarrassing material after 1976, they also had a lot of good, interesting stuff, especially from Brian and Dennis, so I think there is quite a lot that they should still release.

Yes, I WOULD be interested in outtakes from "Sunflower", "Surf's Up" & "Holland". But outtakes from "15 Big Ones"? I'll pass.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »

We don't know, but there's plenty of 1970's & 1980's vault material that has only appeared on bootlegs & with only fair-to-middling cassette quality.

I would love to see a regular, periodic "bootleg series" of the Beach Boys, concerts, vault tracks, rarities, B-sides, similar to what Dylan has done.  There have been MANY outstanding suggestions on this thread alone!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: December 20, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »

I really think that's the way they should go. Release an album or two of outtakes and so on that we rabid fans will eat up. It's more viable than the deluxe mono/stereo+bonus materials that most reus dream about, and we'll be able to roll our own.

I was thinking, a lot of people have been worried that the new album is going to be Imagination part 2. While Imagaination is by no means at the top of my list of their catalog, I do feel it's a damned sight better than BB85, Still Cruisin' or Summer of Love(haven't heard the country album.) It would not be a terrible way to go out...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 20, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »

I'm guessing the "worldwide" part of the tour equates to something like ....

Germany - Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt

2 confirmed German dates so far:

Aug. 3, Berlin, o2 World
Aug. 4, Stuttgart, Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle

Tickets

http://www.o2world-berlin.de/Event/tickets/1530/The-Beach-Boys.html
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 20, 2011, 02:27:15 PM »

Yes, I WOULD be interested in outtakes from "Sunflower", "Surf's Up" & "Holland". But outtakes from "15 Big Ones"? I'll pass.

REAL fans want them all.  It's all part of the fascination and intrigue.  An evolutionary scientist wouldn't skip the Paleozoic Era.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: December 20, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »

new Beach Boys music is new Beach Boys music. duh.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #513 on: December 20, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »

An evolutionary scientist wouldn't skip the Paleozoic Era.

Evolution is a lie. The world is only 5000 years old. Which means if the history of the world is condensed into a 24 hour clock then the 1960's hasn't happened yet, which means we may still get a finished SMiLE. So lets get kneebound to the God of the desert dwelling misogynists. It's Christmas for gods sake, only three months to go till Jesuses birthday. (I've got him some socks)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 20, 2011, 04:35:53 PM »

REAL fans want them all.  It's all part of the fascination and intrigue.  An evolutionary scientist wouldn't skip the Paleozoic Era.
Nah, calling people's level of fandom into question is silly. A person can be a hits-only REAL fan just as easily as a completist REAL fan. Or a vocal-lovin real fan, an audiophile real fan, a back-story drama lovin real fan, a likes-dennis-shirtless real fan, a collectables real fan, a fat-bearded-guy-lovin real fan, or whatever else. People have every right to like things on their own terms, especially art.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 20, 2011, 04:41:45 PM »

An evolutionary scientist wouldn't skip the Paleozoic Era.

Evolution is a lie. The world is only 5000 years old. Which means if the history of the world is condensed into a 24 hour clock then the 1960's hasn't happened yet, which means we may still get a finished SMiLE. So lets get kneebound to the God of the desert dwelling misogynists. It's Christmas for gods sake, only three months to go till Jesuses birthday. (I've got him some socks)

LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 20, 2011, 05:03:14 PM »

That's complete bullshit. A REAL fan would have the balls to like and dislike whatever part of the band's catalog they so choose.

I guess I'm not a REAL fan since I think most of the stuff released post-Love You is garbage and could care less about songs that weren't good enough to be on sub-par albums.

No mas, por favor.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 20, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

That's complete bullsh*t. A REAL fan would have the balls to like and dislike whatever part of the band's catalog they so choose.

I guess I'm not a REAL fan since I think most of the stuff released post-Love You is garbage and could care less about songs that weren't good enough to be on sub-par albums.
Fan, it is short for fanatic. Please look it up, because you do not fit the description. You like some of their music, but by definition you are not a fan-atic. Just being REAL. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 20, 2011, 05:23:23 PM »

That's complete bullsh*t. A REAL fan would have the balls to like and dislike whatever part of the band's catalog they so choose.

Fan, it is short for fanatic. Please look it up, because you do not fit the description. You like some of their music, but by definition you are not a fan-atic. Just being REAL. Wink

Per Wikipedia:
Paul Dickson, in his Dickson Baseball Dictionary, cites William Henry Nugent's work that claims it comes from fancy, a 19th century term from England that referred mainly to followers of boxing. According to that unsupported explanation, it was originally shortened to fance then just to the homonym fans. However, Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other recognized sources define it as a shortened version of the word fanatic, and the word did first become popular in reference to an enthusiastic follower of a baseball team. (Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired". The word originally pertained to a temple or sacred place [Latin fanum, poetic English fane]. The modern sense of "extremely zealous" dates from around 1647; the use of fanatic as a noun dates from 1650.)

Hmmmm. Now I don't know what to think.

No mas, por favor.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »

Per Wikipedia:
Paul Dickson, in his Dickson Baseball Dictionary, cites William Henry Nugent's work that claims it comes from fancy, a 19th century term from England that referred mainly to followers of boxing. According to that unsupported explanation, it was originally shortened to fance then just to the homonym fans. However, Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary and other recognized sources define it as a shortened version of the word fanatic, and the word did first become popular in reference to an enthusiastic follower of a baseball team. (Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired". The word originally pertained to a temple or sacred place [Latin fanum, poetic English fane]. The modern sense of "extremely zealous" dates from around 1647; the use of fanatic as a noun dates from 1650.)

Hmmmm. Now I don't know what to think.
You underlined it, so you see that you do not fit the description. You bitch more than you enthuse. I'm sure you don't feel that way, but that is what I take from reading most of your posts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 20, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »

If that's how it is, I'm glad I'm not a fan. The Beach Boys are the best band I've ever heard, sure. But they are also the worst, by a considerable margin. Guess I'm not a fan, huh.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 20, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »

If that's how it is, I'm glad I'm not a fan. The Beach Boys are the best band I've ever heard, sure. But they are also the worst, by a considerable margin. Guess I'm not a fan, huh.
Guess not.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 20, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »

Stack-o-tracks has a funny and objective viewpoint on the group. Grin Lets be honest, the stuff after Love You is really crappy with a few gems here and there. Love You was Brian Wilson's last stand as Beach Boys musical director.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:39:37 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 20, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »

Guess my status has been downgraded to casual listener. Am I allowed to continue reading/posting here?

No mas, por favor.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 20, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »

Guess not.

I suppose the alternative is thinking SIP is valuable only because it's by The Beach Boys. If that ever happens to me, my best friend has instructions to chuck me under a 172 bus.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx