gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:40:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 144614 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 18, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »

I watched the Mike/Brian hug in repeat for like a minute.

Wonderful video!  I was never worried about this song...it's got a lot of room to breathe and it's not like a super well known song where it could trump the original version. 
ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2011, 06:06:47 PM »

Love it.  Was a little bummed they were re-doing this for the start of the big comeback, but it works so much better than I thought it would.  Thanks for sharing PS!
onatrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 18, 2011, 07:08:03 PM »

The video is amazing!!  Thank you PS for sharing!

Beach Boys, please come to Toronto!!!

Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »

Love it.  Was a little bummed they were re-doing this for the start of the big comeback, but it works so much better than I thought it would.  Thanks for sharing PS!

It never really bothered me when I heard they were re-doing it. I think partly because the theme of the song fits the reunion and also I just wanted to hear what they sounded like together, be that an original song or a remake. You're right though, it exceeded my personal expectations too! Hoping it's only included as a bonus track on the album though, i'm all for it being the "theme song" of the reunion but i'd like the album to be originals.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 18, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »

Also how badass does Mike look when he's walking into the studio at the start of the video! Cool I've been watching it on repeat and every time I see that part i'm like "YES! We're cooking with gas now!"

Mike does look a little gassy doesn't he?   Wink

i dig the Brian/Mike hugshot and Mike lovingly karate chopping Brian's shoulders near the end.

Al-on-a-box cracks me up every time.  LOL

I'm glad they used the original drum intro... it can't be topped. Miss those woodshop sounds at the end though!

sure feels good to be alive right about now. thanks Boys!  Cool

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 18, 2011, 07:28:51 PM »

MINDS MELTED
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:39:05 PM by Runaways » Logged
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 18, 2011, 07:40:27 PM »

Shocked

That's it!! That's all we need! Brian is there all right, it's that look!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:41:42 PM by Craig Boyd » Logged
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 18, 2011, 07:44:33 PM »

Al-on-a-box cracks me up every time.  LOL

I'd love if that was purely for our benefit! :D

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Brian asked Al to stand on the box just for old times sake!  LOL
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 18, 2011, 08:11:23 PM »

Also how badass does Mike look when he's walking into the studio at the start of the video! Cool I've been watching it on repeat and every time I see that part i'm like "YES! We're cooking with gas now!"

Yup.  I agree.  Easily the coolest, bad-ass part of the video.  He actually looks like a Rock Star, then you see him and Brian hug and he even comes off as a cool guy. 

Say what you want about Mike, but he's Mike.  He's basically the same person he was when he was 18.  Good and Bad. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 18, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »

MINDS MELTED

Beautiful picture.  When I watch or hear Brian, I always hear or catch little glimses of what he was when he was young, this picture is evidence of it.  He's still in there somewhere.  I hope he stays positive for this reunion and enjoys it for what it's worth to him; this could be very therapeudic for whatever demons he still has in his head. 
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »

The other "what if" I'm not considering is a Monkees/Springfield scenario. Don't want to think about that.

What happened to the Monkees at Springfield?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 18, 2011, 11:09:11 PM »

Would like to read Peter Reum's take on all this activity. He's one whose opinion I really respect but he's been quiet or absent since it all kicked off. I'm guessing he's seen the news....?

“We live in divisive times.”
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 18, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »

Shocked

Ain't it priceless?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 18, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »

Great video, PS!  The guys sound so good!  Been listening non-stop.  Thanks for posting!

Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:39 AM »

I just saw Mike Love hitting Brian Wilson!

And who's questioning Brian in the fade?

OMG it's 1967 all over again!
dmcguire70
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 19, 2011, 03:24:01 AM »

If Van Dyke Parks were to become the lyricist  that would be an interesting turn of events. Shocked
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:25:46 AM by dmcguire70 » Logged

"I loaned you money when the funds weren't too cool"

"The ocean scares me."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1976
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 19, 2011, 04:15:31 AM »

It would be great if they created a concept album.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 19, 2011, 04:16:22 AM »

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 19, 2011, 04:18:56 AM »

Is that a hint??
I would love a song in the style of every album

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 19, 2011, 06:34:37 AM »

MINDS MELTED

Beautiful picture.  When I watch or hear Brian, I always hear or catch little glimpses of what he was when he was young, this picture is evidence of it.  He's still in there somewhere.  I hope he stays positive for this reunion and enjoys it for what it's worth to him; this could be very therapeutic for whatever demons he still has in his head. 

Amen to add something to that I remember a post from the old "SMiLE Shop" where someone mentioned that even if there never was another Beach Boys album or tour, it would be nice if Brian and Mike could reconcile (I believe at the time Brian had mentioned the only contact he had with his cousin was that they exchanged holiday cards) and stop spending this period in their lives in courtrooms.  Hopefully as Mike has mentioned that stuff is all in the past and this could be therapeutic for not only Brian but everyone involved.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »

Seeing the video and those pictures definitely gets me a bit misty, which is the last thing I expected to happen if/when this day came.  Seeing them all together having fun and working in the studio just seems right, you know? 

Obviously we all hope the resulting music is excellent, but as John said in the post above mine, the true impact of a reunion for these guys is in the mending of past wounds and putting the past aside to make great music like they used to.  It's what they were all born to do, and life is too damn short to waste your twilight years estranged from people you were once so close with.
PhilCohen
« Reply #446 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:02 AM »

By the way, the most recent "Do It Again" video(which has the song complete) honestly shows Jeffrey Foskett doing the highest notes. I enjoy the re-make, and double-tracking has effectively concealed Mike Love's present-day hoarseness.

By the way, as for 2012 CD releases, all we know is that some sort of box set, a reunion album & a greatest hits CD will be included. It is never specifically stated that these projects will include remixes, previously unreleased songs/versions or expanded editions of any specific back catalogue albums. My view is, if we get more archival material & remixes, I'm delighted and I'll buy the CD's. But if we don't get more archival material & remixes, I won't be broken-hearted. "The Smile Sessions" was aimed at avid fans. The 2012 release campaign may be intended to introduce the music to a new generation of listeners; people who have little or no Beach Boys music in their collection. "Greatest Hits"-type collections by The Beach Boys sell well. That's why Capitol keeps cranking out hits discs. This group has had more greatest hits albums than The Doors. And that's an incredible statistic!
SMiLE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 19, 2011, 08:54:33 AM »

MINDS MELTED

Beautiful picture.  When I watch or hear Brian, I always hear or catch little glimpses of what he was when he was young, this picture is evidence of it.  He's still in there somewhere.  I hope he stays positive for this reunion and enjoys it for what it's worth to him; this could be very therapeutic for whatever demons he still has in his head. 

Amen to add something to that I remember a post from the old "SMiLE Shop" where someone mentioned that even if there never was another Beach Boys album or tour, it would be nice if Brian and Mike could reconcile (I believe at the time Brian had mentioned the only contact he had with his cousin was that they exchanged holiday cards) and stop spending this period in their lives in courtrooms.  Hopefully as Mike has mentioned that stuff is all in the past and this could be therapeutic for not only Brian but everyone involved.
I hope this is the end of the Brian/Mike feud.  I never thought it would happen but I guess if it worked for Roger Waters/David Gilmour it is possible it might work for Brian and Mike.
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 19, 2011, 08:56:35 AM »

Shocked

Ain't it priceless?

It sure is!  Cool
Craig Boyd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 19, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »

Yup.  I agree.  Easily the coolest, bad-ass part of the video.  He actually looks like a Rock Star, then you see him and Brian hug and he even comes off as a cool guy. 

Say what you want about Mike, but he's Mike.  He's basically the same person he was when he was 18.  Good and Bad. 

Totally agree, some people are going on about wanting Mike to change the way he acts on stage and drop the patter. Why? He's been doing it for 50 years, it's what Mike does so why should he change now. I'm actually looking forward to the chicken dance and his hand gestures during the chorus of Good Vibrations. Everything about this is gonna be swell  Grin
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx