gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680806 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:11:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS ANNOUNCE 50TH ANNIVERSARY REUNION, NEW ALBUM AND TOUR  (Read 145403 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 16, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »

Eddie Bayers definitely played the drums on Do It Again and David wasn't there, which means at least some of this footage is not from that session.

BUT WHATEVER! Why are we getting so nitpicky so early? the Beach Boys are back! I'm half thinking of making the trip to New Orleans just so I can see their debut reunion performance.

I remember reports within days of the session in July that Cowsill was the drummer. I think Bayers has been drumming on the Joe Thomas sessions, but I think this "Do It Again" session was a seperate "toe in the water" sort of situation. I can't say for sure that Thomas wasn't even there, but I haven't heard any accounts of Joe Thomas being at that session.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 16, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »

folks, this is not just "pretty good"

IT'S GLORIOUS!

Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 16, 2011, 12:32:32 PM »

Is anyone else replaying this thing over and over just to hear those harmonies again?  God I love this band!

We All Are!

HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL!

3D

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2011, 12:37:23 PM »

Is that Celebration 50 logo supposed to be the new album cover? Uh oh if truw...scarily close to 15 Big Ones.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2011, 12:38:16 PM »

I have very little faith for this album, but even though I don't expect it to be that great it will probably be their best one since LA

Given that I don't think much of LA or MIU I'm hoping for their best one since Love You. But I'm a Brian Wilson solo fan so I'm not full of confidence that it will be as good as his solo albums, at least it seems as though it has got new material on it. That's a good sign.
Keri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »

Hasn't Brian said it's all new stuff?

I don't believe so.

And this press release flatly states that the DIA re-record is part of the album.

Actually, it doesn't. My bad.

The caption at the start of the video states that the footage is of the band recording DIA for the as yet untitled new album. It could change but i suspect not.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:53:19 PM by Keri » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »

I really hope (and have the feeling) that Brian got inspired by the Gershwin and Disney albums. It's the kind of music that's much closer to his creative beginnings than say that of the Beatles. Goin' back to and working with that timeless, beautiful material might have given him some inspiration for new Wilson-pop.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2011, 12:49:16 PM »

Not a belly-ache but my fingers are crossed that they somehow involve Dennis and Carl in this.  Even if they don't do the full scale Beatle thing where they remake one of their songs maybe even covering a Dennis or Carl outtake between the five of them. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »

At two score and ten
We're gonna do it again
We still can play live
We survived
With the heroes and villians.

Looking forward to 2012!!

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2011, 12:51:54 PM »

Looking forward to 2012!!

Yes, The Smile Sessions was just the beginning.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2011, 12:56:17 PM »

this news has just made my day.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »

waking up to this... what a way to start the day!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »

Key sentences:

"The Beach Boys have already recorded several songs for their new album"

Mike: "We got together at Capitol/EMI and re-recorded Do It Again"

My guess is there have been several sessions with different personnel and the clip was compiled from footage from varying dates/songs/rehearsals/"re-enactments" for the cameras. A perfectly normal and routine way to go about slapping together a "fly on the studio wall" type music video.

We all have reason to be very excited  Grin
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2011, 01:07:54 PM »

Is that Celebration 50 logo supposed to be the new album cover? Uh oh if truw...scarily close to 15 Big Ones.

I think that's assuming too much. I would assume it's just a logo designed for their anniversary. As the album isn't finished or titled, it would be hard to already have album art. I wouldn't put it past them to call the album "Celebration" or "Beach Boys 50", so you never know. But I take it as an anniversary logo, that's all. I like it much more than just something with surfboards and cars or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »

Free Suggestion to the Beach Boys:

re: the title of your new album:

OCEAN WAY

!!!!!!!!!!

(for reference, see Abbey Road)

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »

Not a belly-ache but my fingers are crossed that they somehow involve Dennis and Carl in this.  Even if they don't do the full scale Beatle thing where they remake one of their songs maybe even covering a Dennis or Carl outtake between the five of them. 

That's just tacky. Why not let dead men rest?

No mas, por favor.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2011, 01:19:43 PM »

To each his own.  I believe there is a way to do it tastefully and obviously a tacky way to go about it.  In my opinion Carl and Dennis should be involved somehow in this anniversary.  The legacy of The Beach Boys is as much theirs as the others.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »

To each his own.  I believe there is a way to do it tastefully and obviously a tacky way to go about it.  In my opinion Carl and Dennis should be involved somehow in this anniversary.  The legacy of The Beach Boys is as much theirs as the others.

I'm with you, John.  There has to be a version of Soul Searchin' with Carl and something from Dennis that could be presented tastefully.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »

Not a belly-ache but my fingers are crossed that they somehow involve Dennis and Carl in this.  Even if they don't do the full scale Beatle thing where they remake one of their songs maybe even covering a Dennis or Carl outtake between the five of them.  

Because brothers don't like their brothers to be forgotten. Because Carl and Dennis' souls are a huge part of this band. Jesus...

Did you think Brian's cover of Heaven was tacky? I thought it was a beautiful piece of music and a good hearted gesture. If you feel otherwise, I pity you and wonder how someone so cynical could get anything out of what this band is all about.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:42:23 PM by elnombre » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2011, 01:43:07 PM »

Did you think Brian's cover of Heaven was tacky? I thought it was a beautiful piece of music and a good hearted gesture. If you feel otherwise, I pity you and wonder how someone so cynical could get anything out of what this band is all about.

He didn't put it on a Beach Boys reunion album, though, did he?
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2011, 01:47:10 PM »

He didn't put it on a Beach Boys reunion album, though, did he?

No, because it was a Brian recording with Brian's band. So if he'd recorded it with Mike, Bruce, Al and David and put it on a Beach Boys album, you think it would be tacky? I think it would be paying homage to Carl while drawing attention to his skill as a songwriter and showcasing a great song that not a lot of people have heard.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:49:57 PM by elnombre » Logged
mammy blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »

I've got little to no expectations for the "new" album, but I'll admit that it's pretty cool that they're officially "reuniting" in New Orleans (my neck of the woods). Should be quite an event. I am especially intrigued by the archive releases... a *new* career spanning box... what? I'm not sure how you can improve on the GV box but hopefully some rarities will be coming our way. No matter what happens, it's all icing on the cake following that glorious box that arrived on my doorstep last month!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:48:44 PM by mammy blue » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2011, 01:50:14 PM »

The Wilson brothers' memory has been honored sufficiently elsewhere. Let's see what The Beach Boys 2012 sounds like without dwelling on Carl's & Dennis' legacy. A simple dedication in the liner notes should suffice.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »

VERY exciting!  Mike sounds great, as does Brian.  A very nice re-do!!!!  And David there in the video.  AWESOME!!!!! Also playing guitar as well as singing.  if he wasn't at the original session, I hope they had him overdub the guitar solo.

Is it me, did I miss Bruce?  Is Bruce not in the video?  I see someone in a checkered shirt and a hat singing but his face is obscured. (maybe he's in the front row just applauding).
In any event, you never see five Beach Boys together in the video.

Another aspect to it being two video shoots, guys are wearing different shirts.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »

Autotuned Jeff = death.

Why can't he ever sing a note as it was written instead of f*cking with it in the same way every single time? "DU-UM BE DO-OO RON!" or "I WISH THEY ALL CO-OULD BE CALIFORNIA GIRLS"?

Even besides that, I just can't stand his tone. I've heard people say he sounds just like Brian did in the 60s, which is almost offensive. There are people involved with the band who can do those parts worlds more justice, and they were probably not utilized solely because Jeff is acting as one of Brian's minders. If people want to accuse, say, Christian Love of not singing with any "feeling", we should instead start with Jeff.

That is why people don't like Jeff and are, like me, probably fairly upset that he's gonna be on this.

some of us are tired of hearing his voice mixed up front so prominently

THIS, too. I bet anything he'd be more tolerable if he wasn't at the very top of the mix on almost every song he's included on.

That all said, I'm excited for the new album, excited for the re-releases, I'm very glad David's there, and I think Mike and Brian sound really good.

I'm also all for a reworking of a Carl and Dennis song. I don't understand those who fault the idea, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 02:10:25 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx