gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:48:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys' response to Sunflower reception  (Read 6566 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 09:29:34 PM »

The "changing times" argument is one that always confuses me, because there's evidence for it and against it. 

I agree. It's true and not true- it's a part of the story but far from the whole story.  The Beach Boys could have continued their level of success either with the hip Buffalo Springfield type crowd or with Johnny Rivers' and Dionne Warwicks' audiences.  But they didn't.  And I don't think it was due so much to their failure to change with the times as the fact that they did change.

Put on Endless Summer at a party and most people are in Heaven.  Put on Wild Honey and they'll scratch their heads.  We hear the uncommon brilliance, but most people I know just don't. It isn't a crowd-pleaser.  And neither is Smiley or Friends. (Nor does everything in art need to be).

The biggest problem with the Beach Boys from 1967 onwards, commercially and artistically,  is that their most important gear was sprung- Brian.  They still had the great voices, the sound, the great live act, etc., but what Mike called "that dynamicism" (or did he say "dynamism"?  Maybe either is correct, I don't know) usually wasn't there.  The talent was, but not always the focus, the patience, the drive, the work ethic.  And in terms of keeping a band on top of the world, that element proved irreplaceable.

I think if you took their acid-tinted set from Hawaii and put that onstage at Monterey they'd have done fine.  (They didn't wear the stripes, did they?)

And lastly, get the vege-tables ready, I'm duckin' as I say this, but I've always thought Mike's weird look in the late sixties was kind of cool.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2006, 01:38:36 AM »

Cancelling the Monterey Pop Fest seems like a big mistake, but can you imagine the '67 era Beach Boys on the same stage as Hendrix? 

The Mamas and The Papas and Simon and Garfunkel were on that stage.  There was the softer, more ethereal side to the hippy scene as well.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 02:53:59 AM »

Quote from: Mitchel
would ANY single have failed at the time? Cool, Cool Water was definitely a bad choice since it's so long and more of a 'mood' piece.

CCW is for me the greatest song on Sunflower. But, as a single, that is indeed a good question.

The '10 Years Of Harmony' compilation has a version  of CCW that is shorter, it starts with a fade in, from halfway the waterfall part of CCW. Dilemma: I think that didn't make it a stronger hitsingle also.
I assume that version was the same as the released single version?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx